Indein Things to Do

Is this the way?
    Shwe In Tain Walkway

Most Recent Things to Do in Indein

Indein

Indein seemed like a quaint little village where the locals seemed to be quite busy going about their day. Some were fishing in the river and some were loading up ox carts with dirt in preparation for some construction project. Kids were playing soccer. Nobody really paid any attention to us as we strolled by except the guy that sold us the 100 Kyat US.10 cents camera fee ticket.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

On the path to the village

Is this the way?

Our boat driver wasn't hired on to be a guide but he gave us general directions when we got out of the boat and where going somewhere. So when we got to the boat landing he gave us directions ...walk this way and then when you come to the fork take a right then walk some more until you see this and that....da de da.... Well we missed one of the forks but it all worked out as there is a river that we had to cross via a bridge and we found that soon after. You will see a series of buildings that look like they must be used as some sort of weekly market. There wasn't anything in them as we passed. Maybe at certain times it is similar to the Nampan market and the people that live on the western side of the lake come here. It might be worth asking your boat driver about it or checking at the tourist office in Nyaungshwe.

Bamboo Forest

Bamboo Forest

Near the boat landing of the Indein Village you can see a beautiful Bamboo Forest! It looked so peaceful. There is something about a bamboo forest that has a calming effect on me. I must be weird! LOL I could have easily spent a whole day just walking in the Indein area but sadly I was running out of time.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Wider view of the Temple complex

by herzog63 Written Apr 25, 2003

Indein

Those 2 kids were on their own. Just hanging out and playing in the dirt. When my son and I walked by they got pretty excited and asked us for "Bom-bom" Which I assuming was candy but we didn't have any. I am usually against handing out candies to children as I feel it just makes them want to ask every other foreigner that passes for more candy. I feel it's better to stop by a school and make a small donation or something similar.

The covered walkway

Shwe In Tain Walkway

The covered walkway looks quite nice from the outside with it's beautiful spires sticking up. The tin roof which is quite common on these types of covered walkways is starting to rust. I would have thought that they would use something a little more traditonal than tin. But those traditions must be long lost.

Some of the pagodas

by herzog63 Written Apr 23, 2003

Indein

The Pagodas were so beautiful. We could also see out over the lake which was also a magnificent site! The locals must have burned the bushes and dry grass around the pagodas in the morning as there was some smokey spots that gave an eery feeling to the place. Seeing the smoke and having no people around seemed like something bad had happened. But we were the only ones out enjoying the 100 degree temps!! The smart people where in the shade somewhere else.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Guess what is inside the main Temple?

Shwe in Tain

MORE SMALL PAGODAS!! LOL There was also some concrete bathtub looking things that we dipped water out of and ran it over our heads and it made us feel a little cooled down!

Remains

Old Pagoda

Some of the Pagodas are in a state of ruin but they were still interesting enough to me to wander around the area.

Some of the pagodas

by herzog63 Written Apr 23, 2003

Pagodas

Most of the Pagodas have a Buddha statue inside. Most were fully intact but a few had lost their heads.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Indein

Comments

Indein Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Indein things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Indein sightseeing.