Indein Travel Guide

Magnificent Pagodas
    by herzog63

Indein Things to Do

• Indein

Indein seemed like a quaint little village where the locals seemed to be quite busy going about their day. Some were fishing in the river and some were loading up ox carts with dirt in preparation for some construction project. Kids were playing soccer. Nobody really paid any attention to us as we strolled by except the guy that sold us the 100...

• On the path to the village

Our boat driver wasn't hired on to be a guide but he gave us general directions when we got out of the boat and where going somewhere. So when we got to the boat landing he gave us directions ...walk this way and then when you come to the fork take a right then walk some more until you see this and that....da de da.... Well we missed one of the...

• Bamboo Forest

Near the boat landing of the Indein Village you can see a beautiful Bamboo Forest! It looked so peaceful. There is something about a bamboo forest that has a calming effect on me. I must be weird! LOL I could have easily spent a whole day just walking in the Indein area but sadly I was running out of time.

• Wider view of the Temple complex

Those 2 kids were on their own. Just hanging out and playing in the dirt. When my son and I walked by they got pretty excited and asked us for "Bom-bom" Which I assuming was candy but we didn't have any. I am usually against handing out candies to children as I feel it just makes them want to ask every other foreigner that passes for more candy. I...

• Guess what is inside the main Temple?

MORE SMALL PAGODAS!! LOL There was also some concrete bathtub looking things that we dipped water out of and ran it over our heads and it made us feel a little cooled down!

• The covered walkway

The covered walkway looks quite nice from the outside with it's beautiful spires sticking up. The tin roof which is quite common on these types of covered walkways is starting to rust. I would have thought that they would use something a little more traditonal than tin. But those traditions must be long lost.

• Remains

Some of the Pagodas are in a state of ruin but they were still interesting enough to me to wander around the area.

• Some of the pagodas

Most of the Pagodas have a Buddha statue inside. Most were fully intact but a few had lost their heads.

• Some of the pagodas

The Pagodas were so beautiful. We could also see out over the lake which was also a magnificent site! The locals must have burned the bushes and dry grass around the pagodas in the morning as there was some smokey spots that gave an eery feeling to the place. Seeing the smoke and having no people around seemed like something bad had happened. But...

Indein Transportation

Indein

by herzog63 Written Apr 24, 2003

The only way to get up to the Temple of Shwe IN Tain is to walk! Unless you hire a local to drive you up on a motorcycle! LOL The picture is the start of the trail down the backside of the Pagodas.

Indein Local Customs

Indein

by herzog63 Written Apr 23, 2003

I'm not sure what was being built here. It could've been that they were damning up part of the river or making the river better for fishing.

Indein Warnings and Dangers

Burned area of Indien

by herzog63 Written Apr 24, 2003

Be careful if you're walking in an area that was just burned in the morning as the ground is quite hot and there can be some SUPER HOT spots mixed in too! We started walking across the Pagodas but decided to stay on the trail as I didn't want to melt our shoes!

Indein Tourist Traps

Covered Walkway

by herzog63 Written Apr 23, 2003

Well it wasn't a true tourist trap to me but I see the possibiltity of it! After crossing the bridge there is a small booth with a guy in it that collects 100 Kyat US$.11cents for camera fees and 200 kyat if you've got a video camera. The guy was asleep as we were walking by and he heard us talking and he had to call us back. As I saw the covered walkway which I thought would have some vendors inside and I wanted to avoid any of that. So I didn't walk directly in front of his booth. One bad thing about the covered walkway is that it bypasses the 400 Pagodas that most people are there to look at. One good thing about it is that it keeps you out of the scorching sun. We hiked up outside of the covered walkway and I was so glad we did as the Pagodas are so beautiful! They are unrestored so you really get a feel of stepping back in time a few hundred years. When we walked back down we went on the other side of the walkway in the forest then cut into the walkway halfway down. There were only about 3 vendors set up inside and they were pretty much asleep so we didn't get bothered at all. But the potential is there if you went in a big group.

Indein Off The Beaten Path

• Take a dip in the river

After the long hot sweaty hike we stopped at the river at the bottom of the hill on our walk back to the boat and took our shirts off and rinsed them out! It felt really good to put those wet shirts on. It was so hot! Our shirts were dry in about 5 minutes. The water is quite cool as it is a mountain stream.

• A short distance further

If you keep hiking past the main Temple complex at the top of the hill you can find a few other hidden gems off the main trail.

• Passageways

One of the things I like to do is find the small passageways in the Temples. I always find the lighting fascinating. And they can quite often have a cool breeze blowing through them which is a nice break when sometimes the temps outside are 100º F or 38º C!

Indein Favorites

• My son at the Pagodas

We had such a great time here. It was such a magical place! The word that my son uses to describe the place is "Wow"! I use "Wowza"

• Shwe In Tain

To get here it is a fairly short 10-20 minute walk up the hill from Indein Village. It is well worth the hike.

• The Eeery smoke of Indein

Because of the slash and burn type burning that is done here we got to witness some eery looking Pagodas. Nobody around but lot's of smoke!

Instant Answers: Indein

Comments

Explore Deeper into Indein
Map of Indein