Inle Lake Tourist Traps

• DennyP's Profile Photo

ALWAYS TRY AND SHARE TAXIS

by DennyP Written Dec 18, 2011

MYANMAR
    When flying from destination to destination in Myanmar (Burma). I Always tried upon arrival at my destination to share a Taxi. The main reason being that the Military Junta that controls all airlines in Burma have placed the airports long distances from the cities. This is due to the fact that all airports are military airports. I learned very early in my travels in and through Myanmar when flying to always share Taxis..I sought out the europeans (if any ) on the flight and asked them upon their arrival if they would care to share the taxi to the city. Because the taxi rides are so long they tend to cost quite a bit of money..the more you share the lower the costs..This worked for me everywhere..usually everything in Myanmar is bargained for...these taxis know that you have no alternative and the charges are high.

• Photography

• DennyP's Profile Photo

CURRENCY PROBLEMS IN MYANMAR

by DennyP Written Oct 29, 2009

local waterways..

Make sure that you always have enough US Dollars for your daily activities and also to buy local currency... MAKE SURE THAT YOUR DOLLARS ARE CRISP AND IN NEW CONDITION OTHERWISE THEY WILL NOT CASH THEM.Travellers cheques are not accepted ..local banks will only give you a minimul rate and ATM's are non existant..Exchange rates vary considerably...shop around for the best rates before changing your Dollars...so ...take care

• Singles
    • Photography

Taking photos

by albaaust Written Oct 11, 2006

Blurred photo of boy on edge of boat

This isn't really a trap its just that I made this mistake and wish I had realised earlier what I should have done.

As you travel along the lake you will see some wonderful photo opportunities-often very fleeting opportunities. If you have an action setting on your camera put it on this as you travel along the lake. I didn't and from the photo you can see what a beautiful image I missed out on! The other thing I would do is make sure that you have organised with your boatman that if you see a photo opporunity you will signal him to stop. Sounds commonsense doesn't it. Fist time we went out we did not plan ahead and when there are three of you in the boat and you are in the front very hard to let everyone know in that fleeting second you want to stop.

FECs

by albaaust Written Sep 12, 2006

Unfortunately, there is no getting around paying fees to see various places and admitting that you are a tourist.

At Inle the fee is US$3. Our taxi paid for us on the way in to our hotel. No-one checked it afterwards. I guess they expected that there was no way that you could get away from paying it!

• Religious Travel

Padaung Women- a dilemma

by albaaust Updated Sep 7, 2006

Padaung Women

Well I put this in because I am really uneasy about actually even promoting the wearing of rings around the neck. I'm Ok about the Grandmother wearing them as it is part of her cultural tradition but to me it is a bit of a tragedy that the younger girls are wearing them. I'm caught -I know that the women are now the main breadwinners and I suppose it is one way for them to earn money but what are the costs?

I have not done enough research on it and I know that there are plenty of young Burmese with University degrees who are unemployed. What is the answer?

• Religious Travel

• vuzu's Profile Photo

English Speaking Motorboat

by vuzu Written Apr 18, 2006

Everyone seems to have an english speaking guide or motorboat driver. In fact, those who speaks well English in Inle will try their hard to ask more from tourist as they can negotiate with you. Try to stick on the current one day service fare and only tips them whe you satisfy with their hard work and performance.

• prikje's Profile Photo

The floating AMBUSH !!!

by prikje Updated Mar 16, 2006

floating ambush at work

This is not a floating market but a floating ambush !
    On Inle Lake your boat goes from 1 "need to see"point to another.One was the floating market.Big was the surprise that the locals took our boat "hostage" so we had time to buy their overprized kitchy
    souvenirs.They hang on to the boat so there was no way of escaping,they only let go when absolutely sure they can't sale anymore.
    I even had to borrow money from the boat driver cause we didn't think of buying souvenirs that day !!!

Unique Suggestions: The price they ask divided by 3 is what should be paid.
    See the prices tumbling when you start to depart the floating ambush.
    Don't think you miss anything cause going to Indein you'll have to walk through a lane of souvenirs shops with the same items.At least there you can run away , here you have to swim away :)

Fun Alternatives: Hide under a blanket !

Even after purchashing 2 identical necklaces a women tried to sell me even 1 more.
    I said the boat was going to sink with the weight of all the souvenirs.
    Hell everybody has to make a living.

• prikje's Profile Photo

Travel agent for the boat tour

by prikje Written Mar 16, 2006

boats at the docks

Travel agents take a high commission on boat tours,sometimes you even have to share your boat with several other couples.
    The price for 1 boat for 1 full day is 12$ , up to 8 people can get in 1 boat

Fun Alternatives: Hire a boat directly at the docks that should give you a better price for there are more boats then tourists.

Instant Answers: Inle Lake

• Apr 20, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Coming out of the Heho airport, we asked how much it would cost to take a taxi to Inle Lake. The taxi boss said 25,000 kyat. Upon arriving at the town, the taxi driver took us to Mg Thant (Inle) Boat and Car Rental Service, owned by Kenny, who told us the only way to get to the Paramount Hotel is by boat and that would cost us 15,000 kyat for the 45 minute boat ride. Not seeing anything else around, we said OK, we'll take it. Little did we know that we could have turned right out Kenny's driveway, walked about 10 minutes to the bus station/boat pier, and negotiated a shared boat (taxi) for a much lower price.

After spending restful two nights at the Paramount, we came back into town to catch the taxi back to the airport. Kenny asked if we liked pancakes and we said yes. Kenny said he knows of a place that makes the very best pancakes and that he'd tell the taxi driver to take us there to have breakfast. Driving up to the restaurant in the middle of a residential area ,we realized that it was Kenny's restaurant.

Kenny is a real wheeler-dealer. He appears to be helpful but he's really not. Go directly to the dock and negotiate. Don't deal with anyone like Kenny who makes it appear as if there are no other options.

Inle Lake Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Inle Lake tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Inle Lake sightseeing.