Nampan Things to Do

Weighing up the vege's

Best Rated Things to Do in Nampan

by herzog63 Updated Jul 3, 2003

Nampan Market

The scene at the market was just awesome. I was there on the biggest day of the week so I got to witness plenty of action. Buying and selling big bags of potatoes and onions is what is going on here in this photo. Hopefully you will arrive early! The early experience is so worth it! Hopefully you will be the only foreigners here also! My son and I had the place to ourselves until right as we were leaving a couple of boats with foreigners pulled up!!

Crispy edibles

Crispies

I don't know the name of these things but I ate them a couple of times and they are pretty good. It was amazing to see stacks upon stacks of this things in the Nampan market though. These ladies must've been wholesalers for the vendors in Naungshwe and other big towns.

Get the money counted

Counting the Kyat

After the bags are weighed the money changes hands and it is counted again. I don't know if it's out of mistrust or just making sure that it was the correct amount. But the transactions that I watched all counted the money twice.

Early morning tomatoes

Mmmm..Good!

Ah the delicous tomatoes of Inle Lake. These are grown on Floating Gardens! You can read about the floating gardens on some of my other pages. They are an amazing feat ..to me anyways. These tomatoes are used in so many of the local dishes. Yummy!!

No customers...Let's gossip!

Hanging around

I'm only guessing! LOL For situations like this I wish I would have had an audio recorder with me. The way they were talking was very fun to eavsdrop on even though I didn't understand a word they were saying.

Dried Lake weeds

Dried Lake weeds

These are probably delicous! I may have had some in a soup a couple of times but I'm not sure. I didn't recognize alot of the "weeds" and ingredients of the food that I was eating but they sure were delicous.

Gotta get everything weighed

Weighing up the vege's

It takes 3 Men to operate this scale. 2 to hold up the bamboo stick and one to read the scale. It must be the same tradition of weighing the produce that hasn't changed for a long time.

Another market scene

Hill tribe lady on the right

I just couldn't get enough of this place! The locals seemed to enjoy it too. As they bargained for the produce they seemed to engage in general conversation also. It seemed like a happy time.

Mother and child

by herzog63 Written Apr 2, 2003

mother and child

The people of Myanmar really love children! I experienced this first hand as they were so nice to my son on this trip!

Instant Answers: Nampan

Comments

Nampan Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Nampan things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nampan sightseeing.