Related Yangon Division Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Yangon Division

• Golden city

by suenaidu Written Aug 10, 2012

Favorite thing: Visiting the pagodas... almost everything is made or coated with gold. Moving from one pagoda to the other is so amazing. The best have to She dagon pagoda in center of Yangon.
    Take the train around Yagoon from the central train station. The journey cost US$1 and take about 3 hours around Yangon. Please make sure to bring along passport to hop into this train.

Fondest memory: Before going to Myanmar, my best friend and I were very spectical about our trip. The trip to the embassy to get our visa done wasnt much help either. Frankly speaking we were pretty nervous about our trip. But all the anxiety went away once we got to Yangon. Such an amazing place to be, it was a journey back in time when my home town was like this 30 years ago. People are great, place is amazing, cheap to get around, food was amazing... basically everything a traveller looking for. It is a safe city to be, we walked around at night from china town back to our hotel at the other end of sule pagoda road. We walked everywhere in the city or took a taxi which will cost approximately US$2. Visit this special country before it become so commercialise with the western take over.... we dont need another Thailand. Take the train that brings you around yangon, 3 hours ride, and you can really see what is Yangon is all about... amazing ride!

• Architecture

• Chyan's Profile Photo

Payment matters in Myanmar

by Chyan Written Nov 8, 2011

Favorite thing: You do not use Western Union to exchange for money. Travellers' cheques of American Express are not acceptable in Myanmar. Is there a money exchanger's counter at American Express in Singapore? i am not sure whether there is American Express money exchange in Singapore.

• Business Travel

• herzog63's Profile Photo

The street signs have sponsors

by herzog63 Written Sep 3, 2003

Favorite thing: I guess in order to save the government money they have allowed private companies to attach their company logos to the street signs for a fee! Maybe we should do this here in the states! Probably save us millions per year!! Tiger Beer was one of the main sponsors that I noticed! Ken and Richie would love it here!!

Sponsored street signs

Walking the streets of Yangon

by herzog63 Written Sep 3, 2003

Fondest memory: As you walk the streets of Yangon you have wonderful smells of food cooking in the street and the sounds of the people talking and the cars honking the horns. There seemed to only be a few main roads and streets that had lot's of traffic. Almost all of the side streets just had cars parked on them but not moving traffic. Sometimes after walking in the quiet streets it seemed weird to come across the busy ones. In the photo you will notice that men and women wear the traditional longyi. They are very comfortable to wear. Ask a local to show you how to tie it correctly so it won't fall off! Locals are very friendly and helpful. The men always had their wallet tucked into the back of their longyi which I thought was interesting for a big city. There must not be much stealing going on. I know I felt perfectly safe at all times or at least I wasn't threatened at all. You can also notice in the picture that most of the car traffic are taxi's I didn't see very many private cars.

Life in Yangon

Sunset over the Ayerwaddy River

by herzog63 Written Sep 3, 2003

Favorite thing: On one of our evenings of walking around down by the docks we were treated to a beautiful sunset over the Ayerwaddy River. In Asia the sun sets so much faster than it does for me when I'm home in Alaska! So we saw the sunset and then 20 minutes later it was dark out!! But we sure enjoyed it as it went down. I only know of a couple of places in Yangon to enjoy the sunset from ...The number one spot would have to be Shwedagon Paya and the other is getting down to the river away from the buildings and you can see it too. We got to experience both of them.

Ayerwaddy Sunset
    • Sailing and Boating

Buses, Trucks and the Saiq-ka

by herzog63 Written Sep 3, 2003

Favorite thing: These poor guys that drive the Saiq-ka get their share of exhaust from the buses and trucks that drive the main streets on Yangon. I'm not sure what the accident rate is on these guys either but I'm sure there is some. As I watched some of them weave their way from the sidewalk onto the street and back to the sidewalk againg without even looking!!

Yangon Street Scene

The end of the day

by herzog63 Written Sep 3, 2003

Favorite thing: Even though this photo is a quite a bit over-exposed I wanted to put it here. When I see the photo I can remember the girls standing in the street calling up to someone on the second floor and they were engaged in a colorful conversation and laughing...maybe making plans for the evening...dinner...movie walking to Mahabandoola Gardens ..who knows..but a fond memory for me!

sunsetting on Merchant St

Fruit Vendors

by herzog63 Written Sep 3, 2003

Favorite thing: You can find fruit vendors everywhere!! One thing to possibly worry about is the water that they rinse the fruit in!! Where did it come from? etc... I did eat the fruit without any ill effects...maybe lucky.. I'm not sure. But the fruit is sweet and cheap!!

Fruit Vendor

• vuzu's Profile Photo

Shwedagon Pagoda PASS

by vuzu Written Jan 11, 2006

Favorite thing: Shwedagon Pagoda entrance fees USD5. If you don't want to pay for your camera fees, please hide it
    before reaching the ticketing counter.

Yangon Division Hotels

See nearby hotels
Letkokkon Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Yangon Division

Comments

Yangon Division Favorites

Reviews and photos of Yangon Division favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yangon Division sightseeing.
Map of Yangon Division