• Golden city

Visiting the pagodas... almost everything is made or coated with gold. Moving from one pagoda to the other is so amazing. The best have to She dagon pagoda in center of Yangon. Take the train around Yagoon from the central train station. The journey cost US$1 and take about 3 hours around Yangon. Please make sure to bring along passport to hop into...

• Payment matters in Myanmar

You do not use Western Union to exchange for money. Travellers' cheques of American Express are not acceptable in Myanmar. Is there a money exchanger's counter at American Express in Singapore? i am not sure whether there is American Express money exchange in Singapore.

• Shwedagon Pagoda PASS

Shwedagon Pagoda entrance fees USD5. If you don't want to pay for your camera fees, please hide itbefore reaching the ticketing counter.

• The street signs have sponsors

I guess in order to save the government money they have allowed private companies to attach their company logos to the street signs for a fee! Maybe we should do this here in the states! Probably save us millions per year!! Tiger Beer was one of the main sponsors that I noticed! Ken and Richie would love it here!!

• Walking the streets of Yangon

As you walk the streets of Yangon you have wonderful smells of food cooking in the street and the sounds of the people talking and the cars honking the horns. There seemed to only be a few main roads and streets that had lot's of traffic. Almost all of the side streets just had cars parked on them but not moving traffic. Sometimes after walking...

• Sunset over the Ayerwaddy River

On one of our evenings of walking around down by the docks we were treated to a beautiful sunset over the Ayerwaddy River. In Asia the sun sets so much faster than it does for me when I'm home in Alaska! So we saw the sunset and then 20 minutes later it was dark out!! But we sure enjoyed it as it went down. I only know of a couple of places in...

• Buses, Trucks and the Saiq-ka

These poor guys that drive the Saiq-ka get their share of exhaust from the buses and trucks that drive the main streets on Yangon. I'm not sure what the accident rate is on these guys either but I'm sure there is some. As I watched some of them weave their way from the sidewalk onto the street and back to the sidewalk againg without even looking!!

• The end of the day

Even though this photo is a quite a bit over-exposed I wanted to put it here. When I see the photo I can remember the girls standing in the street calling up to someone on the second floor and they were engaged in a colorful conversation and laughing...maybe making plans for the evening...dinner...movie walking to Mahabandoola Gardens ..who...

• Fruit Vendors

You can find fruit vendors everywhere!! One thing to possibly worry about is the water that they rinse the fruit in!! Where did it come from? etc... I did eat the fruit without any ill effects...maybe lucky.. I'm not sure. But the fruit is sweet and cheap!!

Yangon Division Hotels

See nearby hotels
Letkokkon Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Yangon Division

Comments

Yangon Division Favorites

Reviews and photos of Yangon Division favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yangon Division sightseeing.
Map of Yangon Division