• Local Customs
    by cochinjew
  • Local Customs
    by cochinjew
    Dried and ready for wrapping
    by thedouglas

Yangon Division Local Customs

• El día que naciste-Your born day

En función del día de la semana en que naciste te asocian un animal y en los templos hay altares donde se hace el ritual de verter vasos de agua sobre la imágen del Buda y de tu animal astrológico, pidiéndoles lo que se quiere ser en la próxima generaciónMercedes nació en martes asi que su animal es el León y el mío que nací en viernes es el Cerdo...

• Libertad - Freedom

En muchos templos venden pajaritos para que los compres y los dejes sueltosSimboliza como debe volar nuestro esp?ritu libremente y no debe estar enjauladoIn many temples they sell birds in order that you let them to go freeIt means how our spirit must fly freely and must not be in a cage

• Good Luck Tradition

When you travel at Pagoda...Don't forgot to bang the bell with the wooden stick 3 times for Good Luck tradition. ;)

• Holy Trinity Cathedral

Houses of worship of every kind here in Yangon. The Holy Trinity's spires rise high up into the skyline. There are also many nuns around Yangon spreading the word.....

• Mailbox

I thought the mailbox was very interesting as it didn't have any Roman Script at all on it! I don't know what time letter pick up was! I only used a Post Office one time in Myanmar.

• Sri Kali Temple

Upon seeing the Sri Kali Temple I was reminded of the Temples of Madurai and Madras India. Of course not as grand as those but very nice.

• Tobacco Free Zone

Outside of some of the schools I noticed that they had the "Tobacco Free Zone" signs. Which is good to teach the kids. But I felt that they need to teach the kids the Betul Nut is bad for you too. Maybe worse than smoking!! I'm not sure...But the people that chew it believe that it is actually good for you!! Dang! It rots their teeth out! I'm sure...

• Thanakha

Most of the women in Myanmar wore Thanakha on there faces and arms. It is a yellowish paste that is used for a bunch of different stuff...Sun Block , Skin Conditioner and make up...at first it looked odd to me but after a while it looked kind of nice!! LOL I was thinking about getting some for my wife but I don't think she would have used it!!I...

• Living life on the Ayerwaddy

There are many of these types of smaller boats that have a small covering and they haul a small amount of cargo and are rowed by hand! The driver sits in the stern of the boat and crosses the oars to power them. I think it must be very hard to do this as the river is very powerful.

• Sitting around and chatting at days end

In the evenings I saw quite a few groups like this just sitting around enjoying the conversation and eating. It appeared to be a street stall type eatery but the people either were very friendly or they all knew each other. Maybe they all lived on the same street and just enjoyed eating there. This shot is taken on Merchant Street.

• Making a phone call

I'm not sure how the phone booths work in Myanmar as there weren't any coins being used when I visited...only paper money..so I'm guessing that phone cards are used. If anyone knows for sure you can let me know and I'll update this.

• Hindu Shrine

Many different religions are represented in Yangon. There didn't appear to be any restrictions on religous beliefs that I could see. I saw this Hindu Shrine on Merchant street near the river. Just off Merchant street near this shrine there was a big Muslim Mosque so it appeared that all beliefs tolerated each other....Which is very nice to see!

• Set up shop under shade trees

In the city it will be hard to find a tree that is on a street corner without a business of some sort set up under it!! I guess it cuts down on the cost of buying shades. The only problem that I saw with a few of the trees had lot's of birds in them....and we all know what birds drop from the sky!!

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Yangon Division? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Have you been to Yangon Division? Write about Yangon Division to help travelers.

Yangon Division Hotels

See nearby hotels
Letkokkon Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Yangon Division

Comments

Yangon Division Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Yangon Division local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yangon Division sightseeing.
Map of Yangon Division