Related Cambodia Favorites Tips

King Sihamoni and his parents.
    by cachaseiro
    Fans and ice cream. A must.
    by PandawitchElphie
    Wide-brin hats will save you
    by PandawitchElphie

Most Viewed Favorites in Cambodia

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Cambodia has a royal family.

by cachaseiro Written Mar 10, 2014

Favorite thing: Cambodia has a royal family and a king living at the royal palace called King Norodom Sihamoni.
    He took over from his father Norodom Sihanouk when he abdicated in 2004.
    His father Norodom Sihanouk was a hugely popular king who was also very involved in politics and held many political positions through his life.
    Because of his political involvement Sihanoul was more and less forced to abdicate in 2004, but bad health also playd part of it.

Since then the more quiet Norodom Sihamoni has been king and he is largely ceremonial and do not take part in politics and in general lives a very quiet life as a munk at the royal palace.
    He is actually a very educated guy and studied at the fim academy when he was young and then moved on to become a ballet dancer and he danced many years at the ballet in Prague before being called home to Cambodia for royal duties.
    Because of that the king speaks czech aswell as several other languages.
    He has never been married and never really shown any interest in getting married and having children so when he dies one day the next king will be chosen by a royal council who will find a person from the royal family that they think is suitable for the post.

Outstanding Guide in Phnom Penh

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 23, 2013

Favorite thing: It is 23 Dec 2013 today. I just got some very sad news on Facebook. Ms. Naram passed away today after battling cancer for several months. The world has lost a very special person. She will be missed, but I shall always remember her.

Actually I met Ms. Naram Kang through Ms. Nara. They are colleagues. When I returned to Cambodia in March 2010, Ms. Nara was busy and so was Ms. Naram (it is common during the dry season when most of the tourists come). Naram was so thoughtful that she convinced her friend, Ms. Leakkhena (an accountant), to guide me on the first weekend of my trip to the remote sites of Sambor Prei Kuk, Beng Mealea, and Koh Ker. Later Naram took me to such places as the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, National Museum, an evening riverboat ride on the Mekong, Phnom Tamao wildlife sanctuary, and Tonle Bati. She is very knowledgeable, speaks excellent English, and has extensive contacts since she is a busy, experienced guide. Besides that, she is a little crazy and fun to travel with! Her phone is +855-12-577-449 and her email is naramkang@yahoo.com. You will consider yourself very lucky to have had Naram as your guide. BTW, her nickname is "Mickey," like Mickey Kandol (mouse in Khmer, LOL).

• SubrahmanyamK's Profile Photo

Information about Cambodia

by SubrahmanyamK Written Oct 7, 2012

Favorite thing: Recently I had been to Phenom Penh. I would suggest u can contact the following English speaking person who can give u more details [u can see my page to know more details]
    mrs. Sreylen
    Her phone number +85512919875. Her email vanlen18@yahoo.com .

or

Micky:
    +855-12-577-449 and her email is naramkang@yahoo.com
    She can guide u properly.

Organizing My Tips Under Available VT Destinations

by AlbuqRay Updated Jun 20, 2012

Favorite thing: The VT database has the following destinations that are appropriate: Khett Siem Reab (province), Siem Reap, Angkor Thum, Angkor Wat, Phumi Banteay Srei, Phumi Tonle Sab and Ruines d' Angkor. I decided to organize my tips like this:

Khett Siem Reab (province) - Bus ride from Phnom Penh to Siem Riep;
    Siem Reap - Self-guided Siem Reap walking tour including Psar Chaa (Old Market), downtown, Wat Preah Prohm Rath, the riverfront, and Wat Bo; also the Krousar Thmey Foundation, Wat Thmei and Peng Thai’s land;
    Angkor Thum - Baksei Chamkrong and Angkor Thom, which includes the Bayon, the Baphuon, Phimeanakas and the Terrace of the Elephants;
    Angkor Wat - Angkor Wat;
    Phumi Banteay Srei - Banteay Srei and palm sugar making;
    Phumi Tonle Sab - Chong Kneas floating village on Tonle Sap Lake, Phnom Krom village, Phnom Krom hill and Wat Phnom Krom;
    Ruines d' Angkor - Chau Say Tevoda, Thommanon, Eastern Baray, Ta Prohm, Banteay Kdei, Banteay Samre, Eastern Mebon, Preah Khan and Western Baray.

2009 Itinerary in Cambodia

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 31, 2011

Favorite thing: This itinerary is now easy to read except for what the VT title covers up. The table shows where I went and what I did in Cambodia on a 10 day visit in 2009. It also shows my hotels and mode of transportation. If you wish, I can e-mail a copy.

2010 Itinerary in Cambodia

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 31, 2011

Favorite thing: The itinerary is now readable but the VT title covers up part of this two page table showing where I went and what I did in Cambodia on a 29 day visit in 2010. The trip included popular and remote sites in the Northwest, Northeast and South. It also shows my hotels and mode of transportation. If you wish, I can e-mail a copy.

An Excellent Guide in Phnom Penh

by AlbuqRay Updated Jul 26, 2010

Favorite thing: When I took the 6-hour Mekong Express bus ride from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap to see the countryside, little did I know how fortunate I would be. The Fancy Guesthouse got seat 1D for me. It turned out to be on the aisle in the front row on the right hand side. Not only did I have the best seat for seeing things and taking pictures, but I also happened to be sitting next to Ms. Nara, a professional guide taking a 3-day holiday to visit her aunt in Kompong Thom. She is a very nice lady who really knows the local history and customs, and is happy to share her knowledge. I learned so much during that three hours to Kompong Thom. Awkun choeun (thank you very much) to her! She is not licensed to guide in Siem Reap but can do Phnom Penh and basically the rest of the country. Her phone number is (+855) 12580089. I highly recommend Ms. Nara.

However, Nara sometimes recommends her friend, Heak, as a driver. I used him in Feb 2010 and I do not recommend him. Absolutely do not drive with him at night. He has night vision problems and cannot see well. He is also phobic about going up inclines and getting his car dirty. Why he originally accepted my itinerary to remote sites in Northwest Cambodia, I shall never know. Over and over again, he had excuses why he could not go somewhere, but then we would see cars just like his both coming from and going to the destination. Basically I just had to say that I was paying him $95/day and that he had to go (although I walked up rather than asking him to drive up the steep, paved road to Phnom Kulen). Guess what? We always made it with no problem. Heak is a nice enough fellow and speaks good English. If you only have to drive during the day and on straight, level, paved roads, he would be fine, even if those roads are busy.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Adaptor plugs in Cambodia

by DSwede Updated Mar 26, 2010

Favorite thing: Cambodia uses 230V, 50Hz

Nice hotels may have British 3-pin rectangular blade plug:

However, most will be a combination outlet that accept either USA/Japan 2-pin (type A) or European 2-pin:

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Cambodia is palm sugar country.

by cachaseiro Written Feb 18, 2010

Favorite thing: Cambodia has a big production of palm sugar and it is often a small family business where daddy clims up the trees to get the palm juice while mummy is busy cooking it in to palm sugar.
    The se people can often be seen doing their business by the side of the road and i have found that you can usually stop by and visit them and get a taste of their home made sugar while seeing them working.

Currency Exchange

by AlbuqRay Written Dec 31, 2009

Favorite thing: As far as changing money, almost all prices are quoted in US$. Sometimes the price will include a fraction of a dollar. When this is the case, the change that is a fraction of a dollar is returned in riel at an exchange rate of 4000:1. It is less than the official rate but close enough. I got enough riel this way to make all of my small purchases. In Siem Reap, I did all my "banking" at the small Canadia Bank on Street 11 across from the Old Market. It was in a convenient location, never busy, and the service was quite good. There was a 2% fee for cashing travelers' checks. I had no problems using US$20 and even a US$100 when paying a 5-night, US$98 hotel bill; the dollar value just needs to be close to what you owe. The tuk tuk drivers will want US$1-2 for each short ride, if not more (I walked). I did have one occasion where a US$20 was not accepted because it had a crease from being folded.

• Potato-Brigade's Profile Photo

Dollars or Riel in Cambodia.

by Potato-Brigade Written Sep 14, 2009

Favorite thing: Most people planning a trip to Cambodia are aware that the US Dollar is the "common currency" there - but there is one important thing that you should also know ...... THEY DO NOT DEAL IN COINS. This means that if you pay in dollars there will not be one single thing costing less than a whole dollar. That´s right, not even "the time of day". Definitely bring and save your "one-dollar bills" but get yourself some Riel quick-quick.

Excellent and Safe Tuk Tuk Driver in Siem Reap

by AlbuqRay Updated May 12, 2009

Favorite thing: In addition to a licensed guide for Angkor, you will need transportation. My guide, Peng Thai, booked our tuk tuk driver through the travel desk at the Mandalay Inn where I was staying in Siem Reap. BTW, I prefer tuk tuk's because it is easy to take pictures even when you are moving and because it is easier to stop anywhere you want. Sophen was my tuk tuk driver for 3 of the 4 days that I toured the Siem Reap area and he also took me to the airport. He got very good at anticipating where I would want to take pictures and would intentionally slow down.

Sophen could not make it one day. His replacement that day was okay but drove too fast and went past some places where I wanted to stop (he could not hear me, I guess). Sophen charged the going rate ($12/day) for the Angkor temples. Banteay Srei is another $5, if you wish to go there, which I did. It was $4 to go to the airport. He was very reliable and right on time for my early (6 AM) departure to the airport. I felt very lucky to tour with Peng Thai and Sophen. They are both very nice gentlemen.

An Excellent Guide in Siem Reap

by AlbuqRay Updated May 6, 2009

Favorite thing: VT member, Eithwe, helped me find an English speaking guide for the Angkor temples and Siem Reap area. So Peng Thai is a free lance, licensed guide for the Angkor temples. Not only is he very well educated and knowledgeable, but he is also just a nice person to be around. In Mar 09 the typical rate for licensed guides in the hotels was $25/day. Peng Thai (So is his surname) charged $20, probably because he was self-employed and did not have company overhead.

He met me at my hotel each morning and was always early. I thoroughly enjoyed all four days that he was my guide. He was flexible about what and when to see things, so that we could avoid the crowds. When convenient, we would also take a mid-afternoon break while it was hot and then go back to touring when it started to cool off. Peng Thai was also very patient with all my picture taking and often volunteered to take pictures of me so that I could be in certain scenes. His email is sopangthai@yahoo.com [sic] and his phone numbers are (855) 12 60 30 94 and (855) 17 36 96 12. I give Peng Thai my highest recommendation.

Volunteer Opportunities in Cambodia

by AlbuqRay Updated Apr 11, 2009

Favorite thing: This tip was originally a response to a Cambodia forum question by anywhere24 about opportunities for volunteering without having to pay someone to do so... I just got back from Cambodia. I did some volunteer work with Phymean Noun's People Improvement Organization (PIO) which provides schools for children at the Phnom Penh dump and a couple of slum areas. You may want to check out my Phnom Penh tips and travelogues for some details. While I was staying downtown, I also found the Veiyo Tonle Restaurant which supports the New Cambodia Children's Life Association (NCCLA) orphange. Feel free to e-mail me if you have specific questions. BTW, I totally agree with you about not paying to do volunteer work. It makes much more sense to spend that money on the kids and their families (e.g. you can sponsor a whole family through PIO for $50/month and that includes their food).

Fondest memory: Helping teachers and kids at PIO schools understand how things fly was the highlight of my whole trip. They liked the paper airplanes, helicopters and flying rings, but I had no idea that the soaring cylinders would be so popular. Of course, they can be worn as a crown too, LOL.

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Visa on arrival

by georeiser Updated Apr 1, 2009

Favorite thing: Visa on arrival is possible at the Aranyapathet-Poipet border, Trat-Koh Kong border and Moc Bai-Bavet border of Vietnam. The price is 1000 Thai Bath if you are traveling from Thailand. 25 USD if you are traveling from Vietnam or Phnom Penh airport and Siem Reap airport. The visa is valid for 30 days. You need one passport photo.
    I had to wait almost one hour to get the visa in the Trat-Koh Kong Border.

• Adventure Travel

7 Reviews - 13 Photos
Kampong Cham Hotels
11 Reviews - 23 Photos

Instant Answers: Cambodia

Comments

Cambodia Favorites

Reviews and photos of Cambodia favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cambodia sightseeing.
Map of Cambodia