Battambang Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Battambang

• sachara's Profile Photo

Thin almost transparant rice wraps.....

by sachara Updated Dec 13, 2005

After vsiting the place where a family produced rice noodles we visited another familyhouse not far from there, where they produced wraps. From far we saw allready the thin almost transparant wraps at the gridas around the house.

We were surprised how thin almost transparant the wraps were. Here we could see the whole process of how the man and woman made these wraps starting from the rice.

Producing rice noodles

by sachara Updated Dec 13, 2005

During our moto trip in the countryside of Battambang with many rice fields we visited a familyhouse where they produced rice noodles. We came early morning at the moment the white dough was made. There was a wooden machinery operated by three girls. The woman who had to handle the white dough wih her hands has white spots all over her face, arms and clothes.

It was a pity we could only see this part of the process. We had a quick look at the heaps of rice and the mill for grinding. We didn't see how they finally produce the noodles ...or any noodle.

• sachara's Profile Photo

No sticky rice this time.....

no sticky rice, but ....

At the bridge close to the place where they made the fishpaste I saw a few times men bearing bamboo containers. The first thing I thought was sticky rice, because just one hour before I had seen how sticky rice was prepared ion bamboo.

At a closer look, I saw it was no sticky rice. They explained me, that it is a local drink what the man is selling in the bamboo containers.

Dried and smoked fish

by sachara Updated Dec 13, 2005

At the fishmarket north of the citycentr of Battambang most activities had to do with the production of fishpaste. But besides the huge tons with fishpaste I saw also many packets of dried and smoked fish. At the other side of the hall I saw also women making products with shrimps instead of with fish.

Usually I like eating fish, but this place didn't stimulate my appetite. In the contrary .....

• sachara's Profile Photo

Job for the whole family including kids

by sachara Updated Dec 13, 2005

The people working at the fishmarket making fish paste were mainly women and girls. It was amazing to see how they worked very skilful and fast under very unconvenient circumstances. Allready early morning the place was very hot. Not to speak of the smell and wet floor !

What a contrast with the group of men gathering in the shade at the other side of the hall ! What was their task ? For what were they waiting ? Selling, transporting ?

Making fish paste

by sachara Updated Dec 13, 2005

Close to one of the bridges over the Angker river north of the citycentre of Battambang we visited the place where the local people make fishpaste. After the fishes are cleaned they are cutted into a paste. They explained us that there are two qualities of fish and paste. The local people use the fishpaste of minor quality to make their soups tastful and salty.

The people doing this job are employers working for theirselves. They usually make very long days to reach high quantities.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

river life

by richiecdisc Written May 28, 2005

green river

Life on the river seems quite idyllic though I’m sure it’s not as simple as it looks. Still, it’s quite amazing to see entire villages floating along in a timeless fashion. This green scene shows an odd view of the vegetation that grows wildly amongst the floating platforms that make up the network the locals patched together.

• kinaly's Profile Photo

Offerings to the Tevodas

by kinaly Written Nov 12, 2004
    New year offerings, Battambang

The new year is celebrated in the middle of april. We are now in 2547 but the bouddhist year is used in Thailand only. Family members come back to their original town to prepare the celebration. They clean and decorate the houses, make offerings at the temple and in front of their houses, for the Tevodas (kind of goddess that visit the families at a certain time, to take all the wishes).
    This year they should come at 17:00. Fortunatly, I had arrived from Phnom Penh one hour before. I was waiting with my incense sticks, reminding Bernardine that a wish does work only if it is not for oneself. She agreed, and answered: yes but who’s gonna wish something for me? I did, lovely sister !!!

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Child labor

by chrisvandenbroucke Written Mar 19, 2004

Battambag, Wat

This little girl walks up an down the mountain with some stones on her head..

It's very common in these regions that children help their fathers and mothers to earn some money.

Well, I think the children don't dislike this work but they should be able to do other things... play football, enjoy themselves...

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

TV Spot

by chrisvandenbroucke Written Mar 19, 2004

Battambang, local shop

While I was walking the streets of Battambang, I saw a TV-camera team going in a boutique, arranging all kinds of things and persuading the show owner to change clothes.

I was watching very closely but because they were oh so slow, I took advantage of the situation and went in to take the girl's picture.
    The Tv-team wasn't glad with me but I didn't care...

Hombre Pez - Fish Men

by elpariente Written Feb 27, 2006

Jugando en el agua - Playing in the water 1

Los ninos se pasan todo el dia jugando en el agua , parecen anfibios

Children spend all the day playing in the water , they look amphibious

Murcielagos - Bats

by elpariente Written Feb 23, 2006

Murcielagos - Bats 3

Los murcielagos de la fruta nos llamaron la atencion
    Aunque son muy grandes , son inofensivos

The fruit bats paid our atention .
    Even if they are very big , they are harmless

Gente - Tonle Sap - People

by elpariente Written Feb 23, 2006

Remero - Rower

Los ninos remando ,los monjes ,... todo nos llama la atenci?n

Children rowing , the monks ,... everything pays our atention

Artes de pesca - Fishing nets

by elpariente Updated Feb 23, 2006

Artes de pesca - Tonle Sap - Fishing Nets 1

Tienen siempre preparadas las artes para pescar en el lago

They have always ready the fishing nets to fish in the lake

Instant Answers: Battambang

Comments

Battambang Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Battambang local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Battambang sightseeing.