Battambang Restaurants

Smokin pot in Battambang.
    by cachaseiro

Most Recent Restaurants in Battambang

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Smokin'Pot: Best Cambodian food

by traceyspacey Written Jun 9, 2007

This was recommended to us by an American working in Cambodia. Wooden rustic tables and chairs sat outside the front of the restaurant, flowers and plants seperating us from the road. Khmer and Thai food avaialble, also backpackers menu available food. Food was the best Cambodian food so far and certainly the cheapest. You must come here. We had 2 main dishes with rice, 2 large Angkor beers and 2 soft drinks. $7

Favorite Dish: Spicy Beef. Just the right amount of heat with plenty of flavour.

Sticky rice

by sachara Updated Dec 12, 2005

At many places along the road we saw streetstalls where they prepared sticky rice in bamboo. The first time I saw the cutted pieces of bamboo in rows at the fire, I didn´t know what it was.

During our moto ride we had a flat tyre early morning and had to wait for the repairing close to this sticky rice stall. I could have a close look at the process. I saw some people buying the sticky rice for breakfast, but most took it with them during their trip.

Favorite Dish: I tried only a small piece because I had just finished my breakfast. It was very sweet and tasty.

ready for eating....very tastful bamboo sticks at the fire rice wrapped in leaves cutting the outside of the bamboo sticks

Victory mini restaurant: Phnom Sampeau, lunch and drinks

by sachara Updated Dec 12, 2005

We arrived at Phnom Sampeau around midday. We decided to have lunch first before climbing the hilltop. There are several local restaurants, so it is not neccesary to bring your own lunch. I had a delicious lunch of Khmer food in the Victory mini restaurant, the place where to moto drivers also could park their motorcylces in the shade. The boss of the restaurant couldn't count very well and charged us too much, but who really cares, the food was still very cheap.

For climbing the hill in the heat of the early afternoon, it's important to bring enough water. But what a surprise just beyond the hilltop we found also a stall with cooled softdrinks including my favourite soursop juice.... and salty pringles (not that cheap).

Victory mini restaurant several stalls at the foot of the hill drinks just close to the top

• sachara's Profile Photo

The White Rose (or Colap So): The place to be.....

by sachara Updated Dec 10, 2005

The White Rose restaurant was recommended us for dinner. It looked like the place to be for locals, Asian and Western tourists and backpackers. All the tables were full. People came for a quick bite, a ice cream or a abundant dinner to this place. Also a lot of beggars in wheelchairs found their way to the sidewalks of the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Because we had a good and huge Khmer lunch earlier the day, we ordered only a salad, a sandwich and a delicious fruitshake for dinner for a change..... though the Khmer dishes looked and smelled very tasty !

entrance White Rose Preparing salads and sauces Begging at the table

Mercy House: Breakfast time

by sachara Updated Dec 10, 2005

In the restaurant Mercy House opposite the Star and Asia hotel we took our daily breakfast early morning. There was not always somebody around who spoke english, but there is a english written menu. When you have entered and choosen your table they bring a pot of tea with small glases within a minute before you order your breakfast. Also the service was always very quick.

Favorite Dish: There are egg, peanut and strawberry sandwiches, but also different hamburgers. And of course Khmer food, if you like. The most special are all types of juices and shakes with funny names and colours. The ones I tried were delicious.

welcome tea

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Smokin' Pot: Smokin' pot in Battambang

by AndreSTGT Updated Oct 23, 2005

No! Sorry, despite the name this a not a Khmer-style Coffee Shop, but a very good restaurant in Battambang. I liked the food so much that i even had my birthday dinner here.
    They call themselves 'Thai Cambodian Cookery School and Restaurant', unfortunately we didn't have the time to take a course there, but it's certainly worth it, the standard of the cuisine is quite high.

Favorite Dish: 'Sizzling Volcano' : Cambodian beef BBQ. According to the manager i was the first guest ever who ordered this dish. That's strange, even though it's the most expensive item on the menu (2,50$) it's great value. You get enough beef for two and the meat is lean and tender.

09/2003

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

White Rose: a rose by any other name would not smell as sweet

by richiecdisc Updated May 28, 2005

Sometimes you find a restaurant that is so good you just don’t even want to try another one. You swear if you ever come back to the town in question, the first thing on your mind will be said restaurant. Sometimes, the dining experience overshadows what you came to see in the first place. Well, the White Rose was such a place. Sure, it was in the Lonely Planet so you half expected it to be touristy and nowhere near as good as purported. Hate to admit it, right, but the old LP can be right sometimes and this is one of the cases. First off, it’s full of locals. Of course, the nine other people in town (all with LP) are there too but hell, can you blame them when the food is this good? To make it more of a no-brainer, the place is immaculate, the service is friendly and quick, and it’s pretty damn cheap, even by local standards. The quality of the meat (and fish) in particular is verging on Western. It’s no wonder it’s full of locals and travelers alike. I just hope it stays that way. And that we get back there someday again. If I EVER get back to Battambang, I’m heading right for the White Rose. Just like I did for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day I was in town.

Favorite Dish: Their Bobor (rice porridge with either fish or pork) is exceptional. I tried this local delicacy a few times at street side stalls but it was a real crapshoot as to what kind of “meat” you were going to get. They probably figured foreigners were rich and gave me the special brains and assorted organ meats that locals are willing to pay a premium for! Lol Well, at White Rose, the pork and fish in particular were just great. Breakfast for two for under two bucks and a good size dinner with great fruit shakes about twice that.

rice fish porridge, it's not just for breakfast

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Everywhere on the street: What do you have in the pot?

by chrisvandenbroucke Updated May 8, 2004

In Cambodia the better food is on the streets.
    I never ate in restaurants but i'm a backpacker and go for the real thing.

Warning: the food in the kettles is good but don't go too late because that way it will be no longer hygienic and maybe the food will come out as quickly as it gets in.
    I experienced that sometimes...

no name known: Private show

by chrisvandenbroucke Updated May 8, 2004

Sorry, but I forgot the name of the restaurant. It must be very famous with locals because there are a lot of seats.
    I informed one evening for the prices but they were a little bit too high for my budget.

I suppose the band was rehearsing but it felt like a private concert...

Battambang, show

Battambang, local market: Market food

by chrisvandenbroucke Updated May 8, 2004

Well, it's amazing but the food in Cambodia looks coloured. I don't know how they do it but the 'red' meat looks even more reddish than it should be.

When I saw this, I sweared I'd never eat meat again in Cambodia... but I couldn't resist it....

("The flesh is weak")

Everywhere on the street: Food Stall

by chrisvandenbroucke Written Mar 19, 2004

Near the local market, in one of the side streets, you won't miss this man.
    He's famous for his vegetarian small snacks, he's very cheap and his food is always very fresh and clean.

I don't remember the price but it shouldn't have been more than half a dollar for 4 hamburger-sized snacks. I got one for free..

The next day, they saw me coming and prepared 5 snacks for the price of 4. Nice man

• LotusV8's Profile Photo

Heng Lim Restaurant: The best food in Battambang

by LotusV8 Written Mar 3, 2004

Very tasty dishes, I was quite impressed.
    The staff couldn´t spek English but it doesen´t matter.
    We also had our breakfast here and it was incredible - American breakfast with everything and very good coffee´ for less than 1 $!!
    The restaurant has seen it´s better days, but the food!!
    Many locals are eating here.

Favorite Dish: It can´t go wrong

Heng Lim restaurant

• edachsund's Profile Photo

Smokin' Pot: cooling down the hit

by edachsund Updated Aug 25, 2003

I quite satisfied with this restaurant. After we have wondering around, we just look for a quiter place and sure a coffee to be served.

Smokin' Pot look very exclusive for me but definately ok about those food and stuffs. I ordered black coffee and smell good. We've been asking about local Cambodian coffee despite he serving us with Instant coffee.

Instant coffee are much more expensive than local coffee..

we were just looking

• tabatha's Profile Photo

Across the street from the Hotel Asia: COFFEE !!!!!!!!

by tabatha Written Sep 25, 2002

A clasical meeting point for the locals. Local food and a TV showing Thai Boxing while the locals bet on it.
    Take care of your change !

Favorite Dish: For me just perfect, being near the hotel and having coffee, without I couldn´t wake up

• tabatha's Profile Photo

Phkay Preuk: Delicious, Delicious

by tabatha Updated Sep 25, 2002

Should be one of the best restaurants in the city (there´re actualy not a lot of restaurants)
    Entertainment program, concerning of singing Cambodians.
    The stuff well educated doesn´t let you o put your beer by yourself in the glas.

Favorite Dish: Fried chicken with cashew nuts and dried chillies and as company: a Tiger beer.

Instant Answers: Battambang

Comments

Battambang Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Battambang restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Battambang sightseeing.