Battambang Restaurants

Smokin pot in Battambang.
    by cachaseiro
    The Smoking' Pot sign
    by mitexi
  • Restaurants
    by Willettsworld

Best Rated Restaurants in Battambang

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

White Rose: a rose by any other name would not smell as sweet

by richiecdisc Updated May 28, 2005

rice fish porridge, it's not just for breakfast

Sometimes you find a restaurant that is so good you just don’t even want to try another one. You swear if you ever come back to the town in question, the first thing on your mind will be said restaurant. Sometimes, the dining experience overshadows what you came to see in the first place. Well, the White Rose was such a place. Sure, it was in the Lonely Planet so you half expected it to be touristy and nowhere near as good as purported. Hate to admit it, right, but the old LP can be right sometimes and this is one of the cases. First off, it’s full of locals. Of course, the nine other people in town (all with LP) are there too but hell, can you blame them when the food is this good? To make it more of a no-brainer, the place is immaculate, the service is friendly and quick, and it’s pretty damn cheap, even by local standards. The quality of the meat (and fish) in particular is verging on Western. It’s no wonder it’s full of locals and travelers alike. I just hope it stays that way. And that we get back there someday again. If I EVER get back to Battambang, I’m heading right for the White Rose. Just like I did for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day I was in town.

Favorite Dish: Their Bobor (rice porridge with either fish or pork) is exceptional. I tried this local delicacy a few times at street side stalls but it was a real crapshoot as to what kind of “meat” you were going to get. They probably figured foreigners were rich and gave me the special brains and assorted organ meats that locals are willing to pay a premium for! Lol Well, at White Rose, the pork and fish in particular were just great. Breakfast for two for under two bucks and a good size dinner with great fruit shakes about twice that.

• LotusV8's Profile Photo

Heng Lim Restaurant: The best food in Battambang

by LotusV8 Written Mar 3, 2004

Heng Lim restaurant

Very tasty dishes, I was quite impressed.
    The staff couldn´t spek English but it doesen´t matter.
    We also had our breakfast here and it was incredible - American breakfast with everything and very good coffee´ for less than 1 $!!
    The restaurant has seen it´s better days, but the food!!
    Many locals are eating here.

Favorite Dish: It can´t go wrong

Mercy House: Breakfast time

by sachara Updated Dec 10, 2005

In the restaurant Mercy House opposite the Star and Asia hotel we took our daily breakfast early morning. There was not always somebody around who spoke english, but there is a english written menu. When you have entered and choosen your table they bring a pot of tea with small glases within a minute before you order your breakfast. Also the service was always very quick.

Favorite Dish: There are egg, peanut and strawberry sandwiches, but also different hamburgers. And of course Khmer food, if you like. The most special are all types of juices and shakes with funny names and colours. The ones I tried were delicious.

• sachara's Profile Photo

The White Rose (or Colap So): The place to be.....

by sachara Updated Dec 10, 2005

entrance White Rose

The White Rose restaurant was recommended us for dinner. It looked like the place to be for locals, Asian and Western tourists and backpackers. All the tables were full. People came for a quick bite, a ice cream or a abundant dinner to this place. Also a lot of beggars in wheelchairs found their way to the sidewalks of the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Because we had a good and huge Khmer lunch earlier the day, we ordered only a salad, a sandwich and a delicious fruitshake for dinner for a change..... though the Khmer dishes looked and smelled very tasty !

Victory mini restaurant: Phnom Sampeau, lunch and drinks

by sachara Updated Dec 12, 2005

Victory mini restaurant

We arrived at Phnom Sampeau around midday. We decided to have lunch first before climbing the hilltop. There are several local restaurants, so it is not neccesary to bring your own lunch. I had a delicious lunch of Khmer food in the Victory mini restaurant, the place where to moto drivers also could park their motorcylces in the shade. The boss of the restaurant couldn't count very well and charged us too much, but who really cares, the food was still very cheap.

For climbing the hill in the heat of the early afternoon, it's important to bring enough water. But what a surprise just beyond the hilltop we found also a stall with cooled softdrinks including my favourite soursop juice.... and salty pringles (not that cheap).

Sticky rice

by sachara Updated Dec 12, 2005

ready for eating....very tastful

At many places along the road we saw streetstalls where they prepared sticky rice in bamboo. The first time I saw the cutted pieces of bamboo in rows at the fire, I didn´t know what it was.

During our moto ride we had a flat tyre early morning and had to wait for the repairing close to this sticky rice stall. I could have a close look at the process. I saw some people buying the sticky rice for breakfast, but most took it with them during their trip.

Favorite Dish: I tried only a small piece because I had just finished my breakfast. It was very sweet and tasty.

• edachsund's Profile Photo

Smokin' Pot: cooling down the hit

by edachsund Updated Aug 25, 2003

we were just looking

I quite satisfied with this restaurant. After we have wondering around, we just look for a quiter place and sure a coffee to be served.

Smokin' Pot look very exclusive for me but definately ok about those food and stuffs. I ordered black coffee and smell good. We've been asking about local Cambodian coffee despite he serving us with Instant coffee.

Instant coffee are much more expensive than local coffee..

White Rose: Tourist meeting Point

by tabatha Written Sep 25, 2002

It reminded me more of a worker restaurant. Nothing making you feel confortable but the food was just ok.
    It should be one of these meeting points, but as Batdambang is not the first choise for tourists even there you´ll not find to many non-asian people

Favorite Dish: The avarage Cambodian choise for about 1-1,5 $, Beer as usual 0,5-1 $

Phkay Preuk: Delicious, Delicious

by tabatha Updated Sep 25, 2002

Should be one of the best restaurants in the city (there´re actualy not a lot of restaurants)
    Entertainment program, concerning of singing Cambodians.
    The stuff well educated doesn´t let you o put your beer by yourself in the glas.

Favorite Dish: Fried chicken with cashew nuts and dried chillies and as company: a Tiger beer.

• tabatha's Profile Photo

Across the street from the Hotel Asia: COFFEE !!!!!!!!

by tabatha Written Sep 25, 2002

A clasical meeting point for the locals. Local food and a TV showing Thai Boxing while the locals bet on it.
    Take care of your change !

Favorite Dish: For me just perfect, being near the hotel and having coffee, without I couldn´t wake up

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Smokin´ pot.: Brilliant khmer food in pleasant surroundings.

by cachaseiro Written Dec 24, 2011

Smokin pot in Battambang.

Smokin pot is a little restaurant that looks more like a cafe at first sight.
    It has partly indoor and partly outdoor seating and a nice airy atmosphere.
    Staff was super pleasant all the times i visited there and the food was really really good.
    I had a few different khmer dishes from the menu and the were delicious all of them and i never paid more than 3US dolalrs for a dish, so we are really talking great food for little money here.
    This is in my humble opinion the best pick in Battambang if you want to sit and eat really nice food in a pleasant restaurant without paying more than average price.

• Beer Tasting

• mitexi's Profile Photo

The Smokin' Pot: The name says it all!

by mitexi Written Oct 17, 2008

The Smoking' Pot sign

Battambang isn't a big city at all, so you have to remember that finding a classy sit down place might be out of the question. I really like the Smokin' Pot because of the very reasonable prices and the good food. Also, they have a cooking class that I did not participate in, but witnessed many people taking it. They seemed to be having a very good time and they ate what they made at the end. While I was eating there one night I was surprised to see two rats run by my feet. That was the only downside, but don't let that keep you from experiencing it, it was outside.

Favorite Dish: At this point of my trip I was missing some home cooked meals and decided to order some spaghetti with meat sauce for $1.50 USD. It was very very good! It even had texas toast garlic bread! I was amazed and wanted to go back again.

• Business Travel

• chicabonita's Profile Photo

White Rose: yummi fruit shakes

by chicabonita Updated Oct 23, 2008

squid with pineapple and cashew nuts

In Battambang you don't have a big choice of restaurants. In the middle of the afternoon I guess the choice is even fewer then for dinner. We checked out Smokin' Pot but it looked closed. The White Rose was next and was crowed by locals and some tourists who arrived together with us by boat.

Favorite Dish: I took squid and for dessert a fresh fruite shake yummie

• Smokin' Pot: Smokin' Pot needs Makeover!

by straightshooter Updated Mar 2, 2008

I ate here twice and don't understand why there are so many good reviews... Other than super cheap food.....And it IS dirt cheap!

Having eaten my share of Khmer food, I didn't find this place especially good. Two of the four dishes I ate were a bit "wanky".
    But worse was how filthy the place was. It smelled of old meat and the tableware, tables and menus were grimey and crusted with the remains of old food.
    Service couldn't be more apathetic.

But hey...it's super cheap.

I wonder if these are new owners? Again, why all the good reviews from past patrons?

I don't want to hurt this little family's business....but it needs a good clean up and a little more attention all the way around.

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Smokin' Pot: Smokin' pot in Battambang

by AndreSTGT Updated Oct 23, 2005

No! Sorry, despite the name this a not a Khmer-style Coffee Shop, but a very good restaurant in Battambang. I liked the food so much that i even had my birthday dinner here.
    They call themselves 'Thai Cambodian Cookery School and Restaurant', unfortunately we didn't have the time to take a course there, but it's certainly worth it, the standard of the cuisine is quite high.

Favorite Dish: 'Sizzling Volcano' : Cambodian beef BBQ. According to the manager i was the first guest ever who ordered this dish. That's strange, even though it's the most expensive item on the menu (2,50$) it's great value. You get enough beef for two and the meat is lean and tender.

09/2003

Instant Answers: Battambang

Comments

Battambang Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Battambang restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Battambang sightseeing.