Angkor Wat Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Angkor Wat

• dfactor's Profile Photo

Tuk tuk all over Angkor

by dfactor Updated Jun 20, 2005

Tuk tuk ride, it's quite an experience.

We travelled around Angkor in Tuk tuk. It's really cheap. We paid USD 8 per day around Angkor, but paid USD 5 more to go as far as Banteay Srei (Banteay Srei is about 90 minutes from Siem Reap on Tuk tuk, but most of the privilleged get there in taxi or coach, the state of the road in Siem Reap is appaling. It's very dusty and the hot).
    Every1 is hungry for your business in Siem Reap and they are open for bargain. Our driver asked for USD 10 per day and USD 15 to Banteay Srei. We said we will think about it and walked to the main street, a couple more Tuk tuk drivers approaced us, one went as low as USD8. So we went back to the 1st driver (he looked honest). He agreed and we took him. Our Tuk tuk driver, Boon Soon, came to pick us up as early as 4:45am for sunrise, and sent us back to the guesthouse as late as 9pm. Not easy money to make for these drivers. We paid him in full on the final day. (Damn I lost his mobile number, if not you guys can use his service). I think he's usually at the Wat Bo area, Happy Guesthouse.
    You don't have to find Tuk tuk, they will know where to find you. Walking around Siem Reap, Tuk tuk passing you will slow down and asked you if you need their services.
    Best for 2 person, but I'd seen 4 in a tuk tuk. Siem Reap never fails to surprise me all the time.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

your own...personal....tuk-tuk

by richiecdisc Updated Jul 15, 2005

Mr. Tha

Check out my Siem Reap page for details on the amazing boat trip from Battambang to the gateway city of Angkor Wat.

We’re talking once in a lifetime here. Angkor Wat: one of the top sights in all of Asia, if not the world. Add to this allure an element of difficulty with regard to getting there cheaply and you have all the right ingredients for going a bit more overboard than you might normally do.

So, you sign up for the three day pass even if it is a relative king’s ransom of forty bucks. That’s right; all they take are bucks, not the local currency. You could go for one day for twenty but remember, once in a lifetime. Now, you still have to get around. You could go very cheaply and walk but it is some ridiculous amount of square miles you would be navigating and you already shelled out the forty so may as well try and see as much as you can. Some opt for a bike but unless you are there in the cooler season, if you factor in all the bottled water you will need, motorized transport could prove cheaper in the long run.

Let’s disregard a bus tour right now. Once in a lifetime and organized tour, that just does not jive. So, you’ve got a motto or tuk-tuk to choose from. If you are alone, a motto (basically, you sit on the back of the driver’s small motorcycle) is much faster and less expensive to boot so it is a no-brainer. If you are a couple in love, the choice is just as easy to make. The tuk-tuk is a bit slow perhaps but not only do you get to go anywhere you want, when you want. You get to sit next to each other in relative comfort under a nice little awning that sheds some precious shade on your wilting heads. Sun rage on, we have our own…personal…. tuk-tuk. Yeah!

Price is negotiable but figure on about $30 for three days for two passengers if you want to go to remote ruins like Banteay Srei. Just remember to sing Johnny Cash's version of "Your Own Personal Jesus" with tuk-tuk and it will seem like a bargain.

Buses

Aviod this of possible

Most of the common type to access to Angkor Wat is by bus. Believe me, long distance bus from Bangkok took 12 hours to reach Seam Reab, once arrive here, most of the travel got exhausted and need another 12 to rest.

My suggestion is; must avoid coming here by long distance buses, wise men always know how to find the way - Yes, by air is the most convenience way to reach here.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Adventure Travel

Bicycle

Summer ride on bike

Hey Young man, see how I enjoyed my summer holiday in Cambodia, I rented a bicycle for only US1 a day, you don't have to pay for parking, you speed limit and no traffic congestion. All you need is bringing a towel as you may simply get sweat under 40C sky.

• Business Travel

Smooth as Silk

Silk Air

Direct flight from Singapore to Seam Reab the gate way of Angkor. This international flight from Singapore provides convenience to traveler like me. All you need to do is taking a plane to Singapore then Silk Air to Seam Reab.

Otherwise, i have to access here again by drunken bus ride from Bangkok 10 years ago.

• Business Travel

Fly with the Wind

by o00o Updated Jul 28, 2004

Ballon to Angkor?

Not a big deal at all, Lonely Planet our brother Ian parachuted to Cuba, look at me o00o never want to loose the face, so i `balloon-ed' from Seam Reab to Angkor Wat, this seems like the first person and first comment ever find on Angkor Wat page.

But it was true, care for a try?.

• Sky Diving
    • Bungy Jumping
    • Hot Air Ballooning

• o00o's Profile Photo

Swiming to Angkor is Possible?

by o00o Written Jul 27, 2004

Wanna try this?

Trust me, swiming to Angkor Wat is possible these day.

All you need is self-confident, then ready to swim from Phnom Penh towards Seam Reab, it depends how fast the speed you can mantain.

If you ready do what I instructed here, then you will be the first one in this planet to swim to Angkor Wat.

• Water Sports
    • Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Direction to Angkor Wat

by o00o Updated Jul 28, 2004

This Way Please

You can fly, you can drive, you ride, you hike, walking or running, may be you can even crawl to Angkor Wat.

But my friend, please look at the fingers pointed at the direction to Angkor Wat. If you turn right instead of left, Sayonara my friend, you will be directed to Angkor Thum not Angkor Wat.

• Trains

Tuk-tuk

by Jmill42 Updated Mar 18, 2004

My Friends tuk-tuk

Once I finally arrived in Siem Reap, the traveling got much better. The only means of transportation I used at Angkor and back in Siem Reap was by tuk-tuk. The call them something different here, but the Thai language "tuk-tuk" is recognized by everyone.

Basically for my days at the temples, I rented a tuk-tuk driver for the entire day for $10USD, which I split with a person at my hotel. Basically, $5USD gives you a personal chauffeur, a guide, and translator for the entire day. He will bring you to a temple and wait while you see the site at your own pace, and then you tell him where to go, or to recommend where to go, and he take you there. Amazingly good deal, because it allows you to see many more of the temples, including the out-lying ones, see the surrounding country-side and it supports a local kid’s life.

Trip From the Depths of Hell

by Jmill42 Written Mar 18, 2004

Not Your Normal Road Trip!

I will always be able to say, "I survived a mini-bus trip to Siem Reap!" For those of you who have been subjected to this horror of horrors, you know what I am taking about. First, like most backpackers, flying in to Siem Reaps new airport seemed too expensive, so I bought a bus trip from a local travel agent in Bangkok.

"Be here at 7AM SHARP!!" The gal told me. I was there at 6:45. My bus didn't arrive until 8:45. OK, no big deal. I've had worse. We get to Poi Pet, at the Thai / Cambodia border, and all hell breaks loose. People start arguing with the "trip manager", because they blew him off as just another hawker, when he actually was our trip manager. He threatens to leave people, insulting their ancestors along the way After that fiasco, all of us thankfully were aboard. I think it was just a ploy to try to get more money from them. Anyway. The roads are paved for the first 5 miles or so past Poi Pet... then... you guessed it, all hell breaks loose!! Part Deux! First, let me back up. Only minibuses are allowed into Cambodia. We found out why. The roads. The have MASSIVE potholes and no one drives correctly, its a nightmare. I'm sittin in the back, so my head hits the roof everytime we go in one of those 8 foot potholes. Its murder. Anyway, after 5 or so hours of that, I would have killed Ghandi to make it stop. Thankfully it did.

Did I mention I had to do it again, to come out of Cambodia?? Oh yeah, on THAT trip, the air-conditioner broke slightly. It still blew cool air, but also the dust from outside. Nice.

Elephant Ride Anyone?

by Jmill42 Written Mar 18, 2004

Maybe I shouldn't have walked!

High atop Phnom Bakheng, the areas highest hill, lies a temple, and more importantly, a great view over the valley and Angkor Wat. There are two ways up this mountain. One by foot; climbing over exposed roots, slippery dirt and clay, or by elephant!! At the bottom of the hill, oyu can hire an elephant for the tough ride up for 10USD. I chose to walk, but I imagine that the ride would be a bit more memorable!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

By boat - Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

by SLLiew Written Sep 29, 2006

Paid US$25 for this express boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh. Fun way to see one of the largest lake in the world - the Tonle Sap.

You will travel by road from Siem Reap for about 20 minutes to reach the lakeside and then wait for other tourists to arrive before the boat depart. Some will try to stay outside to catch the rays but once in the lake proper the waves will force everyone to get inside the boat.

Upon reaching the otherside of the lake near Phnom Penh, the boat travel along the river and you can see amazing houses on stilts, some wildlife and riverine vegetation.

The boat docked in the middle of downtown Phnom Penh. There will taxis, trishaws and motorcyclists warmly welcoming and trying to get you to their hotels of choice.

• LotusV8's Profile Photo

Tuk-tuk or moto

by LotusV8 Updated Feb 25, 2004

Around Angkor in a Tuk-tuk

The easiest way to go around if You are 2 persons is by Tuk-tuk, You have to pay about 8 $ for a day.
    Angkor is a very big place so it´s almost impossible to make it by fot.
    If You are alone, a moto is the best way to get around, it´s faster than a Tuk-tuk but a bit more expensive - about 10 $

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

By land - Bangkok-Poipet-Siem Reap

by SLLiew Written Sep 29, 2006

From Bangkok, I took the cheapest route to Angkor Wat via Poipet border crossing.

Went to the bus station at Chatuchak market and queue up to buy the bus ticket to the Thai border town Aranya Prathet. Tickets for same day start selling at 4am. You cannot buy in advance. Towards the border, there are military camps and check points.

When you reached the bus station, you can motorized trishaw to the border. It is a short walk from the Thai immigration to the Cambodian immigration station of Poipet.

From Poipet, you can hire car taxi or go cheap in heavily cramped jeep truck to Siem Reap via Sisophon. My truck took us to Sisophon and transferred us to another truck that went from Sisophon to Siem Reap.

The road in Cambodia was in poor condition and was well shaken up throughout the journey but having read travel preview, I was prepared for this condition.

Poipet is a gambling and prostitution haunt for Thais and I am glad that I avoided staying overnight there by taking an early bus from Bangkok.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo

Cambodian Taxi called "Tuk Tuk"

by ukirsari Updated Sep 28, 2003

Cambodian Tuk Tuk by ukirsari

It's a motorcycle with chart for the passenger. Not similar with Tuk Tuk at Bangkok [Thailand] which is closer to tri-cycle. Going to Angkor Wat complex, if you're alone just rent a motorcycle for yourself [and the driver]. But if you're two, choose this Tuk Tuk. About USD4 - 5 per trip or USD10 for the whole day.

• Archeology

Instant Answers: Angkor Wat

Comments

Angkor Wat Transportation

Reviews and photos of Angkor Wat transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Angkor Wat sightseeing.