Angkor Wat Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
  • Note the girl in the bluejean shorts.  Drone above
    Note the girl in the bluejean shorts. ...
  • Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Angkor Wat

• davidjo's Profile Photo

CLIMB AT YOUR OWN RISK

by davidjo Written Aug 25, 2014

Be very careful as the steps leading up to the top of some temples are very narrow and very steep, often a gradient of 70 degrees. It is particularly dangerous in wet weather when the steps van be very slippery.

very steep steps

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Attack of the Drone!!!

by blueskyjohn Written Jul 8, 2014

For those who have visited Angkor Wat in the early morning can appreciate the tranquility and the sounds of nature. The multitude of crickets and frogs is amazing. I have spent a lot of time in the outdoors camping in all kinds of areas and never have experienced such sounds.

The morning I went to watch the sunrise, I walked around the outer wall of Angkor Wat to the east side. On my return, while listening to the wonderful sounds of natural, I began hearing a buzzing like nothing I heard before. I arrived at the west entrance and walked up on the causeway to head out trying to identify that buzzing sound. Then I saw it. Some girl was flying a drone over the heads of all visiting Angkor Wat. The sound drowned out the call of nature.

For such a tranquil place and being so relaxed, I surprised myself at how angry I became and had to speak my mind. I approached the woman and pointed out how disturbing her activity was and she should have respect for other people trying to enjoy the beautiful surroundings. She did speak English well enough to tell she does it everywhere. That didn't help matters to say the least. Normally I am a very lay back person and to each their own until it infringes on others personal experiences. I will not get into the details but she definitely knew how I felt by the end of our short conversation.

Note the girl in the bluejean shorts.  Drone above
    • Photography
    • National/State Park

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Trekking off the path

by DSwede Updated May 21, 2013

Honestly I cannot speak for the trekking opportunity, but as for the mines, the area around Siem Reap and Angkor Wat is publicized as clean, but they still highly recommend that you do not go off the established paths. I don’t want to rain on your parade, but I would look much deeper into reliable sources before going out in the jungle on your own.

One of the places that I stopped at was a handicrafts store of locals. They were all handicapped due to landmines. Some of them were teenagers (not old veterans), which means that there's still active ammunition in the ground with recent accidents.

• Camping
    • Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Take water

by stevemt Updated Mar 18, 2013

Make sure you take water with you when exploring the temple complex

You walk a long way and climb many steps. With the heat you are going to need the water or suffer the consequences.

You can buy water there, but it is more expensive than buying it in Siem reap.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

ALWAYS CARRY PLENTY OF FRESH WATER

by DennyP Updated Nov 10, 2011

When visiting this vast complex area of ANGKOR WAT , make sure that you ALWAYS carry plenty of bottled fresh drinking water .Due to the Extreme Temperatures that you will encounter here make sure that you have sufficient for your needs...Most of the temples and various sites are well off the road and you will do a lot of walking/ hiking to reach them. I found the temperatures to be extremely hot and humid and found I was drinking a lot more water than I thought I would need.
    It is very important to drink a lot of water to replace fluid losses due to the heat. Dehydration can creep up on you quickly otherwise and can be extremely dangerous.
    When purchasing bottled water ALWAYS make sure to check the seal on the bottle cap to make sure that it is NOT broken and the bottle is a refill with ordinary local tap water...I have been caught and unfortunately paid the price.. SO BE AWARE...

ENTRANCE TO MAIN TEMPLE  PRASAT ANGKOR AN EXTERIOR VIEW SOME OF THE AMAZING FACADE STONEWORK BAS RELEIFS MORE EXTERIOR  STONEWORK
    • Photography

Unexploded Landmines

by SLLiew Updated Apr 4, 2011

When in Cambodia, do not go off the beaten track. There could be a lurking land mine that can explode, kill or maim.

From past wars, there are still many unexploded landmines in the countryside of Cambodia. So be very careful not to stray off the path.

There are still cases of loss of lives and limbs due to landmines in Cambodia. Always bear this in mind.

According to a 2004 landmine report,
    "...several provinces, particularly in the north and northwest of the country. In the forests of Banteay Meanchey, Battambang, Oddar Meanchey, and Pailin, the most affected provinces, people still have their limbs blown off as they search for a way to feed their families..."

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Children selling souvenirs

by Willettsworld Written Apr 27, 2010

A common scene as you wander around the sights are children trying to sell souvenirs such as postcards as well as drinks, bracelets, scarf’s and such like. They're quite persistent, even bordering on annoying but at the same time they are quite sweet and only trying to make some money. I got chatting to a few of them when I had a little something to eat at one of the food shacks that overlook the Bayon on Angkor Thom and asked them about school to which they replied that they went to one but I wasn't so sure they were telling the truth.

• Brew6868's Profile Photo

Taxi from border or airport

by Brew6868 Written Nov 5, 2009

Other than large tour companies 95% of all transport involve taking a taxi from the airport or border to your hotel. Ensure that your driver knows where your hotel is. Siam Reap is a large city of over a million people and contains as many as a thousand hotels. Some area are utter squalor and dangerous so it is important that you do not get lost. Our group became lost on the way to our hotel and our driver was very unhelpful, did not speak English and would not ask for directions or knew so little about the area that it would not have helped. It is very important for you yourself to know the location of your hotel on a map, speak Khmer or get a phone which works in Cambodia. Additionally, understanding the calling procedure and remembering the number for the tourist police, I think 1157 would come in hand. Don't let confusion of this nature ruin your trip it almost ended ours.

• monina_c's Profile Photo

Beware of little drama princesses

by monina_c Updated Jul 23, 2008

My young friend Matt asked this question in his Cambodia page:

What will you do if suddenly this poor kid with a cute Cambodian English accent (That's nice to mimic!) suddenly leeches on you (without you asking), forces you to do the bargaining game with him and constantly harrasses you to buy his postcards? Will you:
    A.) Pity the kid and buy his stuff.
    B.) Politely say no and no until he leaves.
    C.) Scream at him and harass him back! ?

Well, in our case it was this little 5 y.o. girl selling handmade bamboo objects that make a clicking sound when you shake it. She had her spiel down pat and had my friend's number. It's Letter A for my friend and the girl skipped happily off to look for another sucker (Me!). It cost us a dollar each and a little bit of pride as we drove off... our companions poking fun at us for our "high sucker quotient".

If you have a tender heart and you see these little kids coming, hold on tight to your wallet and run to the opposite direction. But if melting eyes and sing-song voice has no effect on you, then you'll be just fine! :)

Drama Princess (foto by Abi/Lana) a dollar richer & trying to spot another sucker ;D

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

Never felt safer

by Snipernurse Written May 5, 2008

I never at any time felt like my physical safety was in jeopardy in my three days in Siem Reap. I wandered freely through the Angkor complexes with the only harassment being from the young children or shopkeepers trying to sell you stuff. I had an arrangement to hire a tuk tuk driver for three days and had grown to trust him, and since it was in his best interest to make sure I was satisfied he made sure we always were happy and safe. For the most part Cambodian people are very peaceful, be on your usual gaurd and enjoy yourself

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Temple transactions with kids - Beware!

by thedouglas Updated Feb 12, 2008

Staff who supervise in the temples are meant to ensure that tourists aren't encouraging the small armies of beggars, by giving them money etc. for photos and/or sympathy - and the kids often run when one of these attendants turn up. This was taken in Ta Prohm, where we had taken photograps of these kids, and gave them a little bit of money. Not happy Jan! She looked like a thundercloud!

• Museum Visits

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Traffic Rules

by tremendopunto Written Dec 5, 2007

Traffic is leathal in Cambodia, like in many countries around Southeast Asia. But the rules are pretty easy: trucks and buses go first, followed by cars before motorcycles and rikshas, followed by bicycles....and on the lowest step there is the pedestrian. Everything else is just detail.

I had the joyful experience riding my bike down the mainroad of Siem Reap when a speedying motorbike hit me with his rearviewmirror.....lucky me, my backpack caught the hit...most of it my newly bought orangejuice that exploded from the hit and spilled over everything.
    Not to mention that the motorbikeguy drove right away nonestop.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Respecting Angkor

by Etoile2B Written Sep 25, 2007

Although guests are allowed the unique opportunity to climb and explore the magnificent and often crumbling structures, care should be taken. It implore any visitor to these unique temples to exercise care and caution during their time in Angkor, it is the only way to ensure that this amazing edifice will remain for future generations to enjoy. Many of the temples are currently under reconstruction and some of the lesser temples still need to undergo major preservation. And removing any objects from any of the Angkor temples is strictly forbidden. But also, as a visitor to these sacred sites please be respectful, many of these temples are still in use. Much of the ugly behavior we experienced from other tourists were shouting and shoving – especially on the steep and narrow steps to the top of Angkor Wat, which is not only rude but dangerous.

Reconstruction efforts on Angkor Wat. An Aspara carving lying in the jungle. A carving near a temple. Rubble around Ta Prohm. Rubble around Ta Prohm.
    • Architecture

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Don't fall over into canals when still dark

by SLLiew Written Jul 26, 2007

We went to see sunrise at Angkor. We were barely awake as it was still 4 to 5am. It was so dark.

Realised that when we walking on bridges in the dark but there were no clear markers where the edge or drop was.

During the day time, realized how periliously close we were into falling into the canals.

So bring a torchlight if you are seeing sunrise at Angkor Wat. Tread carefully in the dark so it will not be a dramatic wet sunrise.

Buy only imitation antique

by SLLiew Written Jul 26, 2007

Imitation antique looks close enough and much cheaper than original or "fakes".

I could see the dramatic heads along a bridge into Angkor Wat. Some are restored copies as the originals have been broken through wars or "sawn off" to smuggle out or sold to private collectors or overseas museums.

My opinion is that real historical antiquity should be left at their site for preservation and enjoyment by all, locals and tourists and those "looted or taken in the past" should be kept in public museums.

As tourists, we should not encourage destruction of historical sites by buying antiques for private collection. We can also donate any extra cash to UNESCO or other bodies for preservation of cultural relics.

Instant Answers: Angkor Wat

Comments

Angkor Wat Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Angkor Wat warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Angkor Wat sightseeing.