Phumi Siem Reab Tourist Traps

Poor peoples' floating homes
    by gaolei
    Want a beer? Four dollar, please!
    Captian and crew

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Phumi Siem Reab

• gaolei's Profile Photo

Forget the Sunset on the Lake

by gaolei Written Feb 16, 2008

Poor peoples' floating homes

The standard offering if you get a taxi for the day is to see the sunset from the lake or a hill. I picked the boat ride on the lake.

First it cost $15, very expensive for Cambodia. Second, it was not worth $2.

The boat ride started in a canal that smelled of sewage. We saw very poor people living in houses on the water, kids swimming in it and one guy washing in it. The boat was a little leaky. As we hit waves, I could see water coming through the side planking.

The driver jabbered in something like English, looking for more cash for quite a while and I understood nothing except he was looking for more money.

We drove out on the lake, the sun went down, we went back. All the time we were out I was thinking how I would rather be enjoying dinner and a beer.

This is clearly a disappointing end to a great day in Angkor. Maybe go to see the sunset on the hill, maybe just skip it all and see sunrise over the temple. Maybe just get a beer and relax, you will enjoy it more.

Unique Suggestions: Don't go unless you:
    1. like looking at very poor people
    2. Like risking your life in a leaky boat.
    3. are just a sucker for anything a guide suggests.

Fun Alternatives: Go to dinner. There is some good food on Pub Street and cold beer.

• Archeology

• eliteone's Profile Photo

lady boys

by eliteone Written Sep 17, 2007

having one/two or three too many drinks and beware as they will approach you,and with beer googles u may think u have pulled a beautiful local female. if in temple bar and a chick thrashes you at pool,shes not a chick(probably one with a d***)

Unique Suggestions: most can be found either in temple bar or a small bar on ph sivatha

Fun Alternatives: say a polite no thanks ,not for me,and they do walk away

• Surfing
    • Wine Tasting

pay twice

by yuet29 Written Mar 7, 2005

Be very careful if a lot of kids carrying cakes or breads surrounding you asking you take one or two from them in the morning. They are all by individual, not sharing the amount they earn. So sometimes you will handover the money and grabbed and kept by one kid. Just after you turn around, the other kid claim that you havent paid her. So make sure you only give the money to whoever hand you your breakfast, else you will have no choice to pay twice.

Over charged

by yuet29 Written Mar 7, 2005

We always afraid that we are over charged by other in a foreign land with foreigh languages. However, in Angkor, you can buy a pack of 10 postcards in 1USD. They wait for you to start negotiating price, but since the price is reasonable, why dont just get rid of the hassle?

I only bargain if the selling price doesnt match the expecting price in my heart.

• yuet29's Profile Photo

kids explaning in angkor compound

by yuet29 Written Mar 7, 2005

Well if you see kids or teenagers approaching you in Angkor, do be a bit careful. They will walk by your side and start explaning to you the history of the construction, the meaning behind it and everything. They even help you to take picture exactra. If you dont want to pay them a single penny just chase them away in the beginning.

My experience was I stopped the kid from continue and asked how much I should pay him after this. He told me 'up to you'. I said I can at most pay u a dollar. He said ' up to you'. Since he said that so I continue to let him talk. At a entrance to another building he told me, okie you need to pay me here, I am not allowed to enter the other side. Thus, the total explanation is around 10 minutes time. He said, can u pay me now? Okie how much. He said 'up to you.'

So I hand him 1 dollar. He told me he need to pay his school fee in Bath. His teacher like Bath, so can he was asking if I can pay in bath. Okie, how much? This time he didnt say up to you. He said 1000B!! wah.. haha.. I was shocked and said, well I have 20B, if you want take, else just get off.

Okie, then u give me 1 dollar.. settled.

This happened around the area of Terrace of the Elephants. On Ta Keo, I met the different kids with same trick.. arkss.. just wave them off.. if you dont want to pay, dont let them start.

• yuet29's Profile Photo

motorbike plus driver to Angkor.

by yuet29 Written Mar 7, 2005

You can rent motorbike+driver to Angkor wat when you are in SIem Riep. Your GH will usually want to arrange for you because GH has their own driver available.

Renting motor+driver from GH is more expensive than renting it yourself outside the GH. There are a lot of motorcyclist approaching you once you reach Siem Reap, they charged a lower fare for the same/ sometimes longer route.

It is 6USD from GH but you can get 4USD outside. For a longer distance trip for example to Banthai Srai, GH will charged 15-25USD and you can get as low as 8USD from those freelance moto driver.

A thing to bear in mind is NEVEREVER pay before you reach your guesshouse after a whole day visit. In cambodia, always use the service. Pay last.

• jrs1234's Profile Photo

War Museum

by jrs1234 Written Sep 16, 2003

Remains of a jet and helicopter, War Museum

Not to be confused with the small but interesting landmine museum on the edge of town, this uninspiring collection of military junk really isn't worth the 3 dollar entrance fee. There was a "free" guided tour advertised, but he stung me for an extra dollar at the end for his "education", which I wasn't best pleased about, either - and worst of all I got bitten by mosquitos - the only bites I got in either Siem Ream or Angkor. Avoid unless you really like military scrapyards.

Instant Answers: Phumi Siem Reab

Comments

Phumi Siem Reab Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Phumi Siem Reab tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Phumi Siem Reab sightseeing.

View all Phumi Siem Reab hotels