Siem Reap Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Siem Reap

• aveon's Profile Photo

Meric: So-so Tasting Menu

by aveon Updated Feb 25, 2011

I believe the best way to experience a new place is to taste their local cuisine. I wanted to try the best khmer cuisine in town so I figured a tasting menu would be the way to go. I chose Meric at the Hotel de la Paix. Being located inside a ritzy hotel I decided to place a reservation and to ask if they had a dress code. It seems that Siem Reap in general is not much for dress codes except for exposed shoulders.

A language barrier can be a cause of bad service. Since we arrived 15 minutes before opening, we asked if we could be seated to order a drink while waiting for the restaurant to open. They pointed us to a pretty al fresco seating area where we were able to order our drinks. 20 minutes later, they were spraying our surroundings to drive away Mosquitos. In then asked if we could now be seated indoors because of the mosquitos but maybe they did not understand me because they would not take us inside, even if there were guests already dining. So a few more minutes passed until I insisted on being seated indoors.

Favorite Dish: Sadly, of the 7-course menu, it was the dessert that impressed me the most. Maybe my taste buds were not used to the flavor but I generally found the cuisine bland.

This was the 7-course menu:

Pounded ambarella with dried snake
    Seaweed salad with skate wing
    Braised prahok with coconut milk and Khmer crudités
    Braised beef shank with palm sugar and star anise
    Stir fried calamari with fresh green pepper corn
    Bar fish sour soup with coconut milk and water cress
    Assorted Khmer sweets

• aazizikl's Profile Photo

LITTLE INDIA RESTAURANT: Don't GO THERE, THEY ARE CHEATING

by aazizikl Written Dec 19, 2010

I often visiting to siem reap due to my business peruse. There are muslim / Halal food options very limited. Recently i found a place on web and local guide books advertised a restaurant named Little India serving Halal Food near pub street. During my recent visit in siem reap I went to that place and inquired about food to make sure is it Halal or Not? Local staff and owner was just answered me “food is Halal”. When I asked “what is halal”? they kept quite, even they did not know about actual things and meanings about Halal. I was angry on them because they are lying and cheating to Muslim customers for money. I mentioned these things in my blog too. This same things doing other non muslim Indian Restaurants too.

Favorite Dish: Any restaurant can not claim and advertise about Halal Food with Non Muslim ownership/ management/chef/ kitchen staff. So, 100% Surely this restaurant is not serving Halal food. I did not eat here and told to my friends and known persons too.
    Halal / Muslim food available in Siem reap on following places:

1-Local food :
    Khmer Muslim Restaurant; next to neak mah Mosque

2-Malysian food
    D Wau Restaurant: No 275, Road No. 6, near Psa Leo Market.

3-Indian / Pakistani Food
    Maharajah Restaurant: Street No. 7, Old Market Area.

• Safari
    • Trains
    • Beer Tasting

• Curry Walla: Curry Alarm

by RonaldoAngkor Written Oct 5, 2009

The menu consists of lots of vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes. It was not so easy to chose for us as they all promised to be delicious. But in the end we decided for chicken korma with garlic naan and basmati rice. It was fantastic. The curry was a combination of cream, yogurt, ginger, garlic and coconut powder. The rice was properly cooked and the Naan bread was the tastiest I have ever had in my life. The staffs were so friendly.

Favorite Dish: In my first visit I ordered chicken Korma with Naan which was marvelous.
    After that we had the obligatory Chai Tea that was great.

V and A: Classic Vegetarian Cuisine

by AlbuqRay Updated Jun 19, 2009

V and A Vegetarian Restaurant

I did not actually eat there but I did see a restaurant in Siem Reap that was explicitly vegetarian. It was called V and A, and looked nice. Actually I think several restaurants have vegetarian selections on their menus, including the Khmer Kitchen (e.g. their oven sweet potato dishes have a "vegetables" option).

Ancient House Restaurant: Burmese Food in Siem Reap

by AlbuqRay Updated May 19, 2009

Ancient House Restaurant

Since VT member, Eithwe, is from Myanmar, she and her colleague, Toe, met me for dinner at the Ancient House Restaurant. They have authentic Burmese food with weekly specials, as well as Cambodian and western food. I did not realize it but Ei had pre-ordered a special noodle dish with sour soup on the side for all of us, and I ordered another Burmese set dinner off the menu ($6.00). I got the spicy curry pork and eggplant with steamed rice, sour soup, and bar-le-chung-gyaw (a condiment for rice and noodles made of dried shrimp pounded and fried with onions, garlic and chili powder). Dessert was fried bananas. Needless to say, there was plenty to eat. It was all good but those noodles were the best, LOL. We ended up eating there again after the trip to Tonle Sap Lake. There are very nice reviews on the Rambling Spoon and Globalsapiens. The Ancient House hours are 10 AM - late.

Khmer Kitchen: Best Khmer Food in Siem Reap

by AlbuqRay Updated May 19, 2009

Khmer Kitchen Restaurant Near the Funky Munky

The Khmer Kitchen was recommended by my guide, Peng Thai. We went there for lunch on my last day in Siem Reap. It was excellent! The Khmer Kitchen has two locations. If one is crowded, try the other one. The main location is in the passage near the northeast end of Pub Street Alley. We actually ate at the other one, which is one block northwest of the west corner of the Old Market on Street 11.

Favorite Dish: Peng Thai ordered one of the Khmer Kitchen specialties, Pumpkin in Oven with shrimp ($3). Sophen got Korko Soup with chicken ($3). I got the Pumpkin and Coconut Soup with pork ($3). The pumpkin dishes turned out to be especially good. Mine was a delicious stew with chunks of pumpkin, long beans, pork, and coconut curry gravy.

BBQ Suki and Seafood: Cook Your Own Meal

by AlbuqRay Updated May 17, 2009

BBQ Suki and Seafood

At BBQ Suki and Seafood you can order off the menu or cook your own dinner on a combination grill and suki soup pot (it looks like a volcano with a moat) at your table using selections from a large buffet. It is $5.50 for each person for all you can eat. A basic broth is provided (and refilled) but by the time you have cooked several things, it becomes a very nice soup. I have eaten in a similar type place in Malaysia, where it is called "steamboat." BBQ Suki is only open for dinner (5 PM - Late).

Amok Restaurant: Sign Says Best Amok in Siem Reap

by AlbuqRay Updated May 16, 2009

Middle Passage (Amok Cafe on Left)

The national dish of Cambodia is fish amok. Amoks are made with a mild curry and coconut milk. I had had fish amok before in Phnom Penh at the Veiyo Tonle Restaurant but thought the chicken and eggplant was better there. I was wandering through the "Passages" and saw the Amok Restaurant. It was an upscale looking place and the sign said it had the best amok in Siem Reap, so I figured it would be a good place for lunch on my first day. I decided to compare the chicken and eggplant dishes rather than the fish amok. Although a little expensive even for Siem Reap standards, the chicken and eggplant "stew" at the Amok Restaurant ($5.50) was delicious. It too was made with a mild curry and coconut milk, but also had long beans, peppers and onions. If you want to know about the fish amok, read a nice review by an expert.

Soup Dragon: One Good Meal and One Bad Meal

Pub Street Side of Soup Dragon

The Soup Dragon is a popular Siem Reap restaurant that Lonely Planet recommends highly. It has first and second floor dining areas and a rooftop bar. I tried it for breakfast on the first morning that I was in Siem Reap. I had the Pho Bo (beef noodles, $1.25) and it was quite good. Another breakfast item, Bo Kho (Cambodian beef stew with bread, $1.25) also sounded good.

Two evenings later I decided to try the Soup Dragon for dinner. Lonely Planet had said that the spicy clay pot with fish was delicious, so I ordered it ($4). What a disappointment! I eat clay pots at Vietnamese restaurants in Albuquerque. What I got at the Soup Dragon was not a clay pot even though the ticket said it was. It was not in a clay pot and there was no cooked morning-glory (or any stir-fried greens). To top it off, the flavor of what they did serve was mediocre. I decided not to return for the Bo Kho.

Viva: Mexican Food in Siem Reap

Viva Mexican Restaurant

I had been gone almost a month and was craving New Mexican food. I had seen a "Mexican" restaurant called Viva on Pub Street and decided to try it. I stopped at the "nom ping" cart on the way and got my "sopaipillas." Saturday night happened to be taco special night ($1.00 each) at Viva. I got a taco, tortilla soup ($2.50), and a pork burrito plate ($4.50). I knew it was too much but I wanted to try several things. Viva was more Tex-Mex style but with very mild salsa. The taco and pork burrito were good but I missed having real chile in the salsa. I would not get the tortilla soup again; it was pretty bland but I ate it anyway, LOL. I was so full that I had to save my "nom pings" for later.

Cart on Sivatha Street: Cambodian Sopaipillas

by AlbuqRay Updated May 15, 2009

I was walking up Sivatha Street one day and saw a street vendor cooking something that looked like what we call sopaipillas. I asked several locals what they were called and most did not know; however, one of the staff said they were "nom ping." At least it sounded like that. They are delicious and only 500 riel each. They are essentially a sweet puffy fried bread with sesame seeds. I got them several times. Even though they are fried, they are still good cold for breakfast (kind of a donut substitute). I have tried to find them online but have been unsuccessful so far.

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Traditional Khmer Food Restaurant: Traditional Khmer Food

by Bob_Shan Written Jan 3, 2009
    Yummy!

Right next to Cambodia BBQ, in the heart of pub street area. It offers very tasty local food, prices are sometimes half of other restaurants', while the environment was as nice.

Avg. USD10 per person you have have 4 dishes, rice plus 2 Angkor draft beers. What a bargain!

Visa and Master card acceptable. The owner has 2 other restaurants just 20 meters away: Temple Club and Khmer house

Favorite Dish: Beef Loc Lac, Soup, stir-fried chicken with vegetables.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Maharaja: Very ordinary Indian Food

by cochinjew Written Mar 18, 2013

wanted to have a simple Indian meal and i was totally disappointed at this restaurant. the food had a bland taste.

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Kymer Royal Hotel: Excelent value, and great food

by stevemt Written Mar 4, 2013

Excellent value here, also the food is wonderful

The prices are great as well

Favorite Dish: Rrfesh prawn spring rolls.

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Cambodia BBQ: Cambodia BBQ

by Bob_Shan Written Jan 3, 2009
    BBQ

One of the biggest restaurant in Pub street area. Very delicious food.

Favorite Dish: For a 16 USD set you can have 5 type of meat: Chicken, Beef, Pork, Snake, Crocodile.

Instant Answers: Siem Reap

Comments

Siem Reap Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Siem Reap restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Siem Reap sightseeing.