Siem Reap Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Siem Reap

Golden Temple Villa: First meal in Siem Reap

by AngMimi Written Jun 19, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Golden Temple Villa and I also enjoyed my meal in the Restaurant. Oh, the welcome drink of Lemonade and sweet roasted peanuts was wonderful. Well, this restaurant is also recommend by the Lonely Planet. The setting of the restaurant and garden very beautifully done.

What a pity, the restaurant closed for the next two days for Khmer New Year Celebration. But free coffee, tea and banana still available everyday..

Favorite Dish: This is my first and favourite Cambodian food, its very simple and delicious - Bai sach chrouk, or pork with rice, served with a side of pickled, slightly sweet cucumber, carrot and small chilies.

There is a story behind this dish, Bai sach chrouk is usually served with broken rice, and these broken rice meant for chicken to eat. But this wicked and evil stepmother forced her stepdaughter to eat leafover food and broken rice. One day an old lady came to the house and asked for food. Oh no, the evil stepmother chased away the old lady, and the kind hearted stepdaughter offered to share her meal of broken rice with the old lady, wahhh.. the old lady turned out to be a handsome prince in disguise, searching for a wife. Hmmm... anyone prince in disguise want to share my meal of Bai sach chrouk, please come forward :-))))

Angkor Reach Restaurant: Real Khmer Dishes

by AngMimi Written Jun 19, 2012

There are a few restaurants opposite the Angkor Wat, just crossed the road and you will find the restaurant. We were so hungry after a long tired walk in Angkor Wat, my leg got cramped after walking up and down the angkor wat and a need to visit the toilet. :-)))

Favorite Dish: We ordered Fish Amok served in Coconut, loklak chicken, tofu and kalc. Simple Khmer dishes and yet very delicious..

Food and drink for 6 person cost US$28. Not bad at all.

Khmer Kitchen Restaurant: Just so so

by AngMimi Written Jun 19, 2012

So recommended by everyone and Tripadvisor..

Favorite Dish: We ordered Chicken loklak again, pumpkin in oven, khmer curry, fried vegetable and chai kui (a cambodian cake) All in small portion, I was still a bit hungry after 1 hour. Food not that tasty...

Street Food: Baguette Sandwich

by AngMimi Updated Jun 19, 2012

Here in Cambodian, the baguette or the French bread - become Cambodia's national bread.
    Sandwiches made from baguette can easily find in Siem Reap town.. and its very delicious

US$1 for 2 baguette sandwiches.

Eating stall at Riverside: Tonle Sap - Local Food

Rice with pork

After we visited the Floating village at Tonle Sap. All are so hungry, we just joined the crowds of tuk-tuk drivers and local watching tv at this eating stall and ordered Bai sach chrouk (rice with pork and chicken) Its such a simple food to fill our hungry stomach. That little boy was so happy received candies and sweets from my friend.

Street Restaurant: Khmer BBQ

by AngMimi Updated Jun 21, 2012

We cooked our own BBQ, two kinds of BBQ - grill and another with soup and noodles. The lard used to grease the grill and put all the seafood, chicken meat, put all the veges to boil and eat with yellow noodles.

And we also order Pad thai and salted mustard green stir fry, eaten with white rice. My friends tried the Beer and me - have another coconut shake..

All together cost about USD22 for 6 persons.

Picture 1 - Thanks Amanda Loo for the food picture

Authentic Khmer Breakfast: Yummy Pork Porridge

Pretty ladies from Malaysia

Third morning in Siem Reap, we took the hotel tuk-tuk to visit Lolei, Bakheng and Tonle Sap. Aaahh..we went to many restaurants but they were closed during Khmer New Year and we end up in a local eating shop, quite a pack of people having breakfast there. Must be good, I already see what the local people are having and I decided to have a bowl of pork porridge and ice black coffee and I am so lucky I have the last bowl of pork porridge while my friends still undecided what to eat..

The pork porridge tasted very good, the rice cooked into smooth porridge and add in the minced pork, the liver, garnished with fried garlic, some sawtooth coriander leaves and thinly sliced young ginger , emmm..I had the porridge all for myself no sharing, so satisfied to my stomach and ending with cool ice coffee. yummy..

Favorite Dish: Of course, the pork porridge, fried rice and noodles again, you can order the bread too.

The yummy pork porridge just cost US$1 a bowl..

Khmer Kitchen: Best Khmer Food in Siem Reap

by AlbuqRay Updated May 19, 2009

Khmer Kitchen Restaurant Near the Funky Munky

The Khmer Kitchen was recommended by my guide, Peng Thai. We went there for lunch on my last day in Siem Reap. It was excellent! The Khmer Kitchen has two locations. If one is crowded, try the other one. The main location is in the passage near the northeast end of Pub Street Alley. We actually ate at the other one, which is one block northwest of the west corner of the Old Market on Street 11.

Favorite Dish: Peng Thai ordered one of the Khmer Kitchen specialties, Pumpkin in Oven with shrimp ($3). Sophen got Korko Soup with chicken ($3). I got the Pumpkin and Coconut Soup with pork ($3). The pumpkin dishes turned out to be especially good. Mine was a delicious stew with chunks of pumpkin, long beans, pork, and coconut curry gravy.

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

Blue Pumpkin: A fun spot

by JessieLang Written Mar 9, 2011

Blue Pumpkin-2nd floor dining

It's a little hard to categorize this place--some Khmer food, but also pasta, sandwiches, and really good salads. It also has the best ice cream in town. Great place for lunch

The restaurant is on 3 levels--the second floor has big sofas where you can sit and connect to Wi-Fi as you have lunch, and a few tables by the window overlooking the street. The third floor (which I didn't see) is supposed to be non-smoking.

Favorite Dish: I had a big salad--safe and delicious. And then some ice cream.

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

Angkor Flower Restaurant: Morning Glory????

by AngMimi Written Jun 21, 2012

Our young Van driver took us here, seems to have a lot of tourists eating here during lunch. I guessed it must be good. Oh yes, the restaurant got air-condition, it was so hot and humid outside, and we were so hungry and tired after we finished visit Ta-Prohm temple.

Favorite Dish: We were quite curious when we read the Menu for Fried Morning Glory, what kind of vegetable is that? Anyway, we ordered Fried Morning Glory which was Fried Kangkung / water spinach. The cheapest vegetable in Malaysia. Other dishes - Lemongrass sour soup, Fried Chicken with Cashew nuts, Green Mango Salad and white rice. For drinks we ordered Fresh Fruit Juice like Lemongrass Tea, Lemonade, Coconut shake, Pineapple shake, watermelon shake...wah..so nice to drink in this hot weather...emmmm...

Picture 1 - Thank you to Amanda Loo for the Food picture.

Banteay Srey - eating stall: Khmer Fried Noodles

Khmer fried noodles

After the sunrise watching at Angkor Wat, next place to visit - Banteay Srey which took us about 45mins slow drive (40km perhour, that's my driving limit in my hometown :-)) my stomach already started growling - hungry. Can't find any eating place on the way to Banteay Srey, don't worry there are two rows of stalls, where you can find food to eat, drinks like coconut water, sugarcane juice, beer and souvenirs. You will find food, drinks and souvenirs dearer than other place in Siem Reap.

So we found our first eating place, we ordered six plates of fried instant noodles with chicken meat, egg and lots of vegetables. I have some time to take pictures of the cook (who is smilling all the time) and learned something new in cooking Khmer fried noodles.. They have a menu, just choose what you want to eat..

Fried instant noodles looks good and tasty. US$3.50 a plate.

Favorite Dish: Khmer Fried Noodles Recipe

A very simple method to fry noodles.
    In a kuali, add in water, a piece of instant noodles and cut vegetables like choysum, cabbage and carrot. Let it boil, when cooked, transfer the cooked noodles and vegetable in a sieve to drain off the extra water.

In a clean kuali, add some cooking oil, chopped garlic and fry till aromatic, add in a beaten egg (fry into omelette and later cut them into pieces) Add in the sliced chicken meat, stir and add in seasoning like a lot of MSG, fish sauce, pepper, sugar a bit and lastly add in the cooked noodles and vegetable..stir and stir...and walla..ready to eat...

Kuali - a chinese cooking wok.

Ancient House Restaurant: Burmese Food in Siem Reap

by AlbuqRay Updated May 19, 2009

Ancient House Restaurant

Since VT member, Eithwe, is from Myanmar, she and her colleague, Toe, met me for dinner at the Ancient House Restaurant. They have authentic Burmese food with weekly specials, as well as Cambodian and western food. I did not realize it but Ei had pre-ordered a special noodle dish with sour soup on the side for all of us, and I ordered another Burmese set dinner off the menu ($6.00). I got the spicy curry pork and eggplant with steamed rice, sour soup, and bar-le-chung-gyaw (a condiment for rice and noodles made of dried shrimp pounded and fried with onions, garlic and chili powder). Dessert was fried bananas. Needless to say, there was plenty to eat. It was all good but those noodles were the best, LOL. We ended up eating there again after the trip to Tonle Sap Lake. There are very nice reviews on the Rambling Spoon and Globalsapiens. The Ancient House hours are 10 AM - late.

BBQ Suki and Seafood: Cook Your Own Meal

by AlbuqRay Updated May 17, 2009

BBQ Suki and Seafood

At BBQ Suki and Seafood you can order off the menu or cook your own dinner on a combination grill and suki soup pot (it looks like a volcano with a moat) at your table using selections from a large buffet. It is $5.50 for each person for all you can eat. A basic broth is provided (and refilled) but by the time you have cooked several things, it becomes a very nice soup. I have eaten in a similar type place in Malaysia, where it is called "steamboat." BBQ Suki is only open for dinner (5 PM - Late).

Amok Restaurant: Sign Says Best Amok in Siem Reap

by AlbuqRay Updated May 16, 2009

Middle Passage (Amok Cafe on Left)

The national dish of Cambodia is fish amok. Amoks are made with a mild curry and coconut milk. I had had fish amok before in Phnom Penh at the Veiyo Tonle Restaurant but thought the chicken and eggplant was better there. I was wandering through the "Passages" and saw the Amok Restaurant. It was an upscale looking place and the sign said it had the best amok in Siem Reap, so I figured it would be a good place for lunch on my first day. I decided to compare the chicken and eggplant dishes rather than the fish amok. Although a little expensive even for Siem Reap standards, the chicken and eggplant "stew" at the Amok Restaurant ($5.50) was delicious. It too was made with a mild curry and coconut milk, but also had long beans, peppers and onions. If you want to know about the fish amok, read a nice review by an expert.

Monorrum Korng Yiv Key Restaurant: Best Chinese Food in Siem Reap

by AngMimi Updated Jul 12, 2012

Chinese Food for 6 chinese girls.

Last nite in Siem Reap, we back early from the Tonle Sap trip. We went for shopping at Lucky Mall and got lost, asked direction from the policeman and the local, and end up walking even further. Looking at Siem Reap city map, we walked quite a distance. Good exercise anyway..

Anyway, the restaurant is quite nearby to Pub street. So, the restaurant packed with lots of customers, good sign the food must be good.

Okay, we ordered some pork ribs, peking duck with lots of fresh cucumber and spring onions, egg plant cooked in claypot and fried kalc. We order chinese tea, jasmine flavour (I hate the smell of Jasmine)

All the food cost US$22.50 for 6 hungry ladies.

Instant Answers: Siem Reap

Comments

Siem Reap Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Siem Reap restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Siem Reap sightseeing.