Siem Reap Shopping

Best Rated Shopping in Siem Reap

Tek's Booth in Old Market Annex: Reasonable Souvenir Prices

by AlbuqRay Updated May 19, 2009

Tek has a booth inside the Old Market Annex (passage on northwest side). I had been looking for toys for my grandkids and had seen one I liked in the Old Market. It was like a ping pong paddle with moving chickens on top. One booth in the Old Market wanted $3.00. Another absurdly wanted $20.00 but would "give" it to me for $15.00 when I offered $1.00. Tek's price was $2.00 which is about right. It was Sunday when my guide, Penh Thai, and I stopped by her booth. The electricity was off in most of Siem Reap (scheduled maintenance), so she had only candles for light. It was hard to see but her selection was good and her prices were reasonable. I ended up buying several things. BTW, even Peng Thai bought something.

Tek and Her Booth Old Market Annex (Street 11 & Pokambor Avenue)

Angkor Trade Center: Air-Conditioned Indoor Shopping Center

by AlbuqRay Updated Aug 14, 2013

The Angkor Trade Center is a small but modern air-conditioned mall with escalators, a supermarket, shops (clothing, cosmetics, perfumes, jewelry, souvenirs, accessories, electronic and IT products), beauty salon, and a food court (including The Pizza Company, Swensen's and a Blue Pumpkin). It is open 9 AM to 9 PM daily.

Angkor Trade Center Entrance to Angkor Trade Center Supermarket Blue Pumpkin Escalators
    • Hiking and Walking

Artisans d'Angkor: High Quality Souvenirs and Artwork

by AlbuqRay Updated May 17, 2009

Artisans d'Angkor is the retail outlet for Les Chantiers Ecoles, a school that teaches wood and stone carving. Artists were one of the groups targeted and murdered by the Khmer Rouge. This school is helping to preserve the knowledge of those artists that survived for students that would not be able to afford such training otherwise. It is a good cause and the quality is high, but the artwork is really expensive. Many tour buses were there when I visited and the store was very crowded. It is definitely a place to go see since admission is free, but buying is another story.

Entrance to Compound (Near Ei8ht Rooms) One of the Workshop Areas Entrance to Retail Store High Quality Artwork
    • Luxury Travel

Phsar Chas (Old Market): Higher Prices for Tourists

by AlbuqRay Updated May 19, 2009

I tried shopping at the Old Market a couple of times. Like any market you need to bargain. However, what I found was that the vendor's starting price was higher (once absurdly higher) than at the Old Market Annex (see another shopping tip) or in the market at Western Baray. This was true even though the souvenir selection was essentially the same in all three markets.

The example I give is the "ping pong paddle bird toy." In two Old Market booths (both facing Pokambor Avenue), the starting price was $3 and $20. I thought I had misunderstood the $20, so she punched it into her calculator. It was $20 but she lowered it to $15 right away. LOL, what a deal. The same toy in Tek's booth in the Annex started at $3 and I bought it for $2. A similar toy at the Western Baray market started at $2 and I paid $2. Hey, I needed two for my twin granddaughters. I did buy four "seys" (hack-a-sack with feathers) for $1 each at a booth near the north corner.

Northwest Side of Old Market from Street 11 Northwest Side of Old Market from Hospital Street Southwest Side of Old Market from Pokambor Avenue Southwest Side of Old Market from Khmer Kitchen 2 North Corner of Old Market and Hospital Street

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Shopping at Chong Khneas floating village

by rosequartzlover1 Written Apr 21, 2014

This is the main central area of Chong Khneas floating village.It consists of a small souvenir shop ,restaurant,resting area and the viewing deck.When I was there ,almost no body want to spend anything .I met a tour group that seem to visit this floating shop only 1 minute and go.I walked around the shop looking what they offer.They have quite many things.You can see from the pictures.I was interested in a local pant and need to know the price.I tried to find who is the staff,no body showed up until my boat guide has to call some one for me.A lady appeared with a very lazy manner ,she told the price that was 3 times higher than same thing in Siemreap downtown.I tried to bargain but she seemed to say only no.So I didn't buy it.The products they sell are quite ok,look like they are well selected products ,but this place become a tourist place ,so the price will not be cheap.If anyone have chance to buy a lady pant from there ,please tell me what price you get : )

Buying Books - Angkor Guide Book: Buying Books - Angkor Guide Book

by Cathy&Gary Updated Mar 21, 2009

One thing you should not be without in Siem Reap is Dawn Rooney's book called "Angkor An Introduction to the Temples".

Make sure its the fourth edition or later and not an earlier one.

This book is fantastic, loads of info on the temples and how long you will need to see each one, maps, photos and suggested orders to see various temples.

You can buy the book from any of the street book stalls or from book shops.

We paid $4 for our copy in a book shop and it is far better quality than some we have bought from the street sellers.

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Artisans d' Angkor - Stone & Wood Carving Shop: Artisans d' Angkor - Stone & Wood Carving Shop

by Cathy&Gary Updated Mar 21, 2009

Artisans d' Angkor Shop Siem Reap Town
    The Wood and Stone Carving centre is in Siem Reap town 200 metres off Sivatha.
    After you have finished the free tour, (which you are not obligated to do) the highlight (for me) was going into the showroom and seeing the beautiful products on sale.

The shop is a showcase of wood and stone carvings, silk products, magnificient bas-reliefs plus much more. There is absolutely no pressure to buy.

Products are not cheap in these shops, but then again they are not rubbish souvenirs mass produced for tourists. You are paying for quality products.

I purchased a natural sandstone Head of Pranhaparamita which sits in a black stand. She is exquisite (and very heavy) and cost US$59

The shop is fantastic and there were so many beautiful things I would like to buy. Maybe next time??

Head of Pranhaparamita - Natural Sandstone

• HebaM's Profile Photo

Lucky Mall: Not worth it

by HebaM Written Jan 16, 2015

I visited the mall just out of curiosity but left disappointed. It's a very small mall... only 3 floors and few department stores.
    There's a supermarket on the first floor, a fast food restaurant and little cafe on the 2nd floor, a stationary shop on the 3rd floor and that's it!!! It took me just 10 minutes to explore the entire mall and unsurprisingly the mall almost empty there were no one except 10 people!
    Honestly not much and definitely not worth going unless you want to see by yourself

What to buy: NOTHING

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Central Market: To buy souvenirs and clothes

by Avieira67 Updated May 14, 2008

In my opinion, this is a place like a bazar, where you can find almost everything to buy as a souvenir. Certainly you have to bargain!

What to buy: It's especially a good place to buy some clothes.

What to pay: Well, you have to bargain!

Central Market

• HebaM's Profile Photo

Angkor Night Market: Worth a visit

by HebaM Written Jan 16, 2015

Near Sivatha St, this is a popular place on the Siem Reap shopping scene. It’s packed with stalls selling a variety of handicrafts & souvenirs .
    It reminds me of Khan el-Khalili Bazaar in Cairo. stalls selling the very same stuff, junk overpriced souvenirs under one roof
    I bought 12 postcards for$1 and 2 magnets for $1 but at the entrance of Angkor wat someone offered me 3 magnets for only$1!! other than that there's nothing worth buying as there's nothing special...you can find the very same souvenirs in Thailand for cheaper prices
    I also had a one hour foot massage for $5
    I visited the market more than one because it was close to my hostel and there's nothing else to do at night especially if you're not into drinking and partying

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Old Market's (Phsar Chas): Old Market's (Phsar Chas)

by Cathy&Gary Updated Mar 31, 2013

The Old Market and surrounding area are a definite must see when visiting Siem Reap. It is very popular with locals and tourists, plus you will find the biggest selection of souvenirs here.

Around the markets there are many little exclusive shops, massage places, bars and galleries. These are the places to buy your higher quality products.

The south side of the Old Market has many vendors selling silk, souvenirs, Cambodian handicrafts, materials and statues etc.

The Old Market is also where you will find post cards, dvd's, books, t shirts post cards, tee-shirts and other small items if you haven't already bought them from the vendors at the temples.

The north half of the market mainly caters to the locals, selling fruit,vegetables, meats, clothes, appliances, hardware etc. There are also lots of cheap food stalls in this area.

The Old Market closes at sunset, but many of the souvenir shops in the south section of the market stay open past 8pm.

A lot of prices were similar to the markets in Phnom Penh where we did a lot more shopping.

Old Market's (Phsar Chas) Old Market's (Phsar Chas) Old Market's (Phsar Chas) Old Market's (Phsar Chas)

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Artisans Angkor: Airport - Souveniers

by akkipaa Written Mar 23, 2013

This is a very nice shop purchasing the last souvenirs or just something to your self. As normal, your 2-person group split the two parts, the other took jewelry and clothes an the other spices and drinks.

You find Buddhas, other sculptures, clothes, bags, small things and special drinks and spices. This time I didn't buy spices but my wife bought a very nice tin pill box, which are probably most known and sold Cambodian souvenir (photo 2). Food stuff in photo 3 and finally, I was very interested in Rice Brandy, but I made 20 years ago the decision that I buy only bottles I surely drink, so this left to the stand.

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Night Market: Night time shopping

by akkipaa Written Mar 23, 2013

This market are is definitely must on your visit. Probably you don't buy anything, at least I didn't, if you have visited Phnom Penh market, you have already everything you need and I got an impression that prices are here higher and there not so much place for bargain.

But there's always a soul with these places and this place has a nice colors also. I think my main photo is among top3 night photos during this trip.

What to buy: If you are lucky, you can watch free Apsara dancing here. We were and it was our first time to see it and at least I am now a great fan of Dancing. There's some cool, calm and magic feeling in the dance, it is slow but technical and the girls can do miracles with their fingers and toes.

The lady bought something made of silk (photo 3) but I didn't buy the hand made carpet (photo 3), unluckily there are 23kg weight limit with luggage and I already had 26!

• Photography

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Night Market: Night Market, Siem Reap

by georeiser Updated Jul 9, 2009

Angkor Night market is two markets close to eachother, The Main Night Market and Noon Night Marked. It's a market designed for tourists with socalled enjoyable shopping and dining. This is a place where you can spend many hours and meet other backpackers.

• Adventure Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Siem Reap Book Center: Bookstore

by Bob_Shan Written Jan 3, 2009

Probably the biggest book & media store in Siem reap, selling also 2nd hand and pirated books (e.g., lonely planet).

Those lonely planet are illegal photo copies of poor quality, but cost only 5 USD. Not a bad idea if you need something for just a few days reference.

Owner is Miss. Sochivy Chea

What to buy: Travel guides, maps, history books, stationary, souvenirs and gifts

What to pay: USD, credit cards acceptable

Instant Answers: Siem Reap

Comments

Siem Reap Shopping

Reviews and photos of Siem Reap shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Siem Reap sightseeing.