Siem Reap Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Siem Reap

• hillelarkin's Profile Photo

tuk-tuk in Siem Reap

by hillelarkin Updated Mar 14, 2015

As part of our preparations for the trip, we had arranged a tuk-tuk driver to take us from our hotel in Siem Reap to the various Wats in Angkor site, for 3 consecutive days. The deal included also pick-up from the airport to the hotel upon our arrival to Siem Reap.

Our tuk-tuk driver was Mao Da (nicknamed - Da) of " Angkor Tours Driver ", email: maoda@live.com.

Da did an excellent job for us. He help us with final tuning of the plans (clearly, as stranger one can never estimate distances, road traffic, and the physical difficulties related to wandering in and around the Wats. So assistance of a local, knowledgeable person can help a lot).

Da is very polite, modest but knowledgeable about the entire area of our trip. His English is good and he was able to provide us any information we requested about each site we visited.
    Da is very easy going and flexible with routes and times . He took care of cold water (of which one can never have enough in such hot, humid days). One of the most interesting moments in our visit was visiting Da's village where he just finished to build his house. We ate at local eating place - it was not restaurant but rather a table under a tree, but the food was authentic and probably one of the best we had in Siem Reap. We met Da's wife and children and for us it was really great event.

As to driving, Da drives safely and is always relaxed, even during traffic jams. Having a good tuk-tuk driver like Da was a big contribution to our pleasant visit to the Angkor site

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

3 Wheel Saviours - the tuk-tuks

by anilpradhanshillong Written Feb 12, 2015

You have the option of using a bicycle or hiring a tuk-tuk or going in a tour company bus or going about in the luxury of an air-conditioned taxi. While a bicycle may be the cheapest option, it also exposes you to the elements and demands a certain amount of your energy. Also, you have to stow it away safely while you explore the temples.

A tuk-tuk is a great compromise and if you get one with a driver who speaks a bit of English, you’re in luck. You can engage him for the entire day or for the entire duration of your trip. US $ 25-30 per day is considered a great bargain (Dec., 2014 prices). You have to ask the driver clearly what to expect for your money and the hours of duty he is willing to perform. You may like to factor in his lunch and the odd-cold drink or coconut water. Going over your entire plan of sight-seeing with him is a good idea.

A tour company bus may also be considered a safe option as there will be lots of other tourists as well but do you really like large crowds? 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock is their hours. When they descend on a tourist spots, other tourists scurry for cover.

A taxi is, of course, the ultimate luxury. Here again, bargain and ask what exactly is on offer for the price of US $ 40-45 per day you are paying. Will it be kilometre-wise or hour-wise or day-wise? You will be wiser then.

First Written: Feb. 12, 2015

Modes of transportation Temple Timings Chest Thumping & Echoing Lost Innocence Laze Away!!

• HebaM's Profile Photo

Hiring a tuk tuk

by HebaM Written Jan 25, 2015

We hired a tuk tuk from in front of our hostel to drive us to Angkor wat! We agreed on $15 USD for 8 hour tour
    The capacity of the tuk tuk is only for 4 passengers, he refused to accommodate the five of us into one, despite there's enough room for one more and informed us that we need to hire another one for $15 usd!
    He took us to three temples and we returned back to Angkor wat for the sunset. The driver was very nice and he remained with us from 12:00 pm till we reached our hostel at 7:30 pm
    My advice to you is to pick someone trustworthy outside your hotel/hostel rather than someone from the street, at least the first will have all his information with the hotel's reception desk. safety is a priority

Our Tuk tuk driver

• babytourist's Profile Photo

Transport from Hotel to Osmach Border

by babytourist Written Dec 3, 2014

I paid US$80 for a standard car (Toyota Camry) from my hotel to Osmach border, driver drive at 120-150 km per hour and we reached there in 1 hour 15 mins (which hotel tell us it takes about 2-2.3 hour)

Tuk tuk is their most common transportation from hotel to old market / city centre usually cost US$3-US$4. It's advisable to agree with the rate first before you hopped into their tuk tuk. Some dishonest fellows will charge by per head count

Hotel to Angkor Wat for a standard car (Toyota Camry) from my hotel to Angkor Wat cost US$35 per day, driver will wait for you and send you back to hotel.

• PandawitchElphie's Profile Photo

Tuk-Tuk Drivers and Tour Guides

by PandawitchElphie Written Mar 14, 2014

Based on recommendations here on VT, I planned our trip to Siem Reap with intentions to 'try' out the favorite Tour Guides and Tuktuk drivers. I've settled on 2 people I want to highly recommend.

Mr. Chet
    He's a tour guide you can book for your visits to the temples. Speaks english well. Very friendly and helpful. Hand him your camera, and he'll take the best photos. He was able to explain things so well that I actually REMEMBERED everything he's shared. (without writing anything down). With his stories, we were able to identify statues and carvings on our own. We booked him for a day, to go visit the waterfalls, 1000 Lingas and Bantay Srei on our first day. And we totally think he's worth it. You may contact him on his mobile numbers 012369112 and 016903112. He's a colleague of SAM PHO who has been highly recommended but disappointed us-- I was emailing him back and forth, getting responses and assurances only to find out AFTER I asked him point blank "You'll be our guide, yes?" only to be told he was already booked and he was passing us on to his coworker. Well, he gave us to Chet and we're very happy about it. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY (did I forget to say HIGHLY?) recommend Mr. Chet. :)

Mr. Da
    I want to call him the Filipino's driver to Siem Reap. No. He's not Filipino. BUT he's beloved by a lot of us. His very own tuktuk was given to him by a couple from Mindanao who loved his services so much that they gave him his source of livelihood (he used to rent a tuktuk to earn a living). Da goes around wearing a baseball cap with the Philippine islands embroidered on the front. One, he's friendly. Two, he speaks better English than most tour guides I've seen and heard. Three, he provided us with cold water. He has a little cooler on his tuk. And lastly, he knows where to take you and MOST IMPORTANTLY, he knows WHEN to take you (to avoid the crowds). You may email him at maoda (at) live (dot) com. Mind you, he's only a tuktuk driver-- I'd say a perfect combination would be to get Chet and Da.

If you do get them... please say The Pandas recommended them (AJ and Margaret). :D Tell them hi and send our love pls.

Here's the thing:
    I recommend, from personal experience, if you're not a physically fit (meaning, ready to sweat it out in hiking boots and go climbing mountains and boulders for fun) that you take an airconed vehicle to the out of the way places like Kulen mountain or 1000 lingas. You will KISS the person who invented airconditioning. The hike is no easy feat... it's really tiring. And entering a cool vehicle (where you can pass out and sleep on your way back to your hotel) is a blessing.

If you're just going to Angkor Thom, Angkor Wat, Bayon, the terrace of the elephant and the Leper King... or even just go to Pub street... take a tuktuk. That is, IF the place where you live is NEAR pub street.

if you stay where we stayed which was The Siem Reap Hostel, you can definitely walk to Pub Street (trust me, I'm lazy and I could walk it). But to get to the temples, the tuktuk was fun, cheap and a breezy ride.

Mr. Chet: the most entertaining tour guide Mr. Da: best tuk-tuk driver ever.

Tuk tuk to Beng Mealea

by rosequartzlover1 Written Mar 12, 2014

The first morning in Siem reap I woke up little too late for whole day bicycle ride for the grand circuit ,so I decide to go to Beng mealea first by tuk tuk.I asked price from hotel staff the night before and he offer some price that I can accept.I asked him to bring me Beng Mealea in the morning and the floating village in the afternoon ,he asked for 50$.It's fair price for both I think,because if some need to win the bargaining by trying to make the price way too low ,it's not fair for such poor people who earn for a living and probably he has to feed the whole family ...parents,wife ,kids ,uncle ,aunt and grand parents...(very similar life style to Thailand rural life).And this place is far, about 130km. round trip ,it took about 1 and half hour ride one way.So I negotiated only a bit and agree for both side with this price.He works for Makong boutique hotel with another tuk tuk.His name is Oan.After came back from Beng mealea it's very hot so he waited for us to have lunch at the hotel and rest a little bit in the room,then continue to floating village in late afternoon.Normally most tuk tuk driver will provide customer with nice cold bottle water to drink along the way ,you can confirm with them before ride.I bought some extra bottle for myself but along the way or at the site itself ..there are plenty of drink and food stalls.

My tuk tuk driver. some part of Beng Mealea. a swing branch.

Bicycle

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Mar 10, 2014

Many tourists travel around to see Angor Wat and around by tuk tuk.It's a very good and convenience way to do.I'm doubting at the beginning if I'll do it that way or by bicycle.Finally I and my mate agree to do it with bicycle.It's very cheap to rent bicycle there.Most hotels provide some of them for rent.My hotel offer 1$ per day.There are many bicycle shop for rent,so.. shop around before decide cuz some of bicycle was not in good condition.Try them before you go cuz we have to ride it all day.Some shop offer one free bottle water as well.My hotel didn't offer any water but it doesn't matter much,we can buy cheap water any where.I chose a normal bicycle ,not a mountain bike(which cost more.. around 2-3 $) and I don't see why I shoud need a mountain bike cuz the route is flat.Try to ride it first cuz my mate got 2 bad condition one, first ..the chain came off twice during riding..they change to be anotherone which was mountain bike but very bad riding .Mine was perfect..can ride happily all day and not tired at all.It's only the intense heat during the day when you walk at the site that was the problem,so prepare yourself with some hat,sunblock, and drinking water.You'll be sweating a lot.Even I drank a lot already but still had bad headache cuz the heat was so tense this season(late Feb -late May) But when we ride ..it's not hot cuz the wind blow to our face ...it's quite enjoyable ride.The road condition are all paved in the total grand circuit.

From airport to town

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Mar 10, 2014

Normally I supposed to be picked up by the hotel I booked, and before travelling I sent e-mail to confirm them already about my flight arrival time.,and they also confirmed that there will be someone waiting with my name on a card.And indeed there were many hotel staffs stand and wait for their customer EXCEPT mine.Not much surprised cuz already expect for something like this,that they won't show up.We waited for half hour and feel sure that nobody will show up.I asked some other hotel staff if anybody know this hotel.A korean lady who work as tour guide waiting for her clients tried to help us by calling to hotel and complaint for us,and they said they waited for 1 hour for me and now already went back.That's liar.It's a good start!!Then we decide to go by ourselves.Taxi price is 7$ and motorcycle is 2$ but when I asked about it,now no more motorcycle service.And finally that korean lady was kindly brought us to my hotel,how nice..

By airplane

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Mar 10, 2014

I booked flight and hotel through air asia that always have some nice promotion (AirAsiaGo.com.)I just tried to check what they offered and found that "flight plus hotel" was good deal so I took it.It's return ticket bangkok-siemreap (with seat booking) and 3 nights hotels.There are many hotels in the list that we can choose ,the price also shown,and it's up to you which hotel you'd like to stay.I chose Maekhong boutique hotel because of the good location and breakfast was included,plus free pick up from airport.Normally the price for flight return ticket is about 5,000 Bath( without hotel) But the one I booked was flight ticket and hotel , total price was 5,100 thai bath.The flight operate from Don meung airport departure around 19.50 bkk time and flight time to Siemriep is about 50 minutes.It's low lost airlines so there's no food service ,but you can buy it on board if you'd like.I chose seat number on web check-in and without knowing I got some kind of "hot seat" .I don't know what "hot seat" means, but look like something special.I can board the aircraft first almost like business class seat.It's about row 1-5.The airplane was quite full.

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Marom Hem

by Cathy&Gary Updated Mar 7, 2014

Many months before our first trip to Siem Reap I had been reading about Marom Hem on the Tales of Asia site. All the comments on him were excellent so I sent him an email. We corresponded for a few months before our trip and booked Marom for all our tours in Siem Reap, including picking us up from the airport.

That was back in 2006, we have been back many times since and we always use Marom for our visits to Siem Reap, I would not think of booking anyone else! Every place you can see on my website that we have been to in Siem Reap over the last 8 years has been with Marom.

I don’t know if any of you know how the numbers on the back of the tuk tuk drivers work but Marom's number is 61. Back in the early 1990’s when all drivers had to be registered in Siem Reap the numbers for some strange reason started from 45 instead one 1.

So Marom was in the first 20 registered tuk tuk drivers in Seam Reap. He knows all the good out of the way places without tourists, we just love him and he is a good friend. His rates are standard, he never expects more, he is a very safe driver, extremely knowledgeable, well spoken and trustworthy.

We highly recommend contacting Marom if you are looking for a tuk tuk driver in Siem Reap.
    Another reason we liked being with Marom is not once did he try to pressure us to go to various shops etc so he could get petrol vouchers, commissions etc. He was there for us and that was it. He does not rush you and we feel extremely comfortable with him at all times.

So if you are looking for one of the nicest, safest, friendliest tuk-tuk drivers in Siem Reap who has been around for a long time and knows all the good places to see, then contact Marom at:
    maromtuktuk1@gmail.com or emailmarom@yahoo.com

You can also call him on:
    (855)12994285
    He checks his emails quite regularly so it should not be long before you hear back from him!

Contact Marom for his current rates as I am not sure if the ones below have changed.
    Day Rates for Marom's tuk-tuk which seats 2 comfortably are:

Angkor Archaeological Park $15
    Banteay Srey $22
    Kbal Spean $30
    Beng Mealea $40
    ($45 To Bantey Srey and Beng Mealea)
    Lake Trips
    Kompong Phluk (wet season only)
    1 - 3 people $70
    4 - 6 people $90
    Kompong Khleang
    1 - 3 people $80
    4 - 6 people $100

Countryside tours are $25 - $35 depending on the distance traveled.
    Phnom Kulen cannot be accessed by tuk-tuk but Marom can take you there on his moto or organize a car etc.

Marom Hem Marom Hem Marom Hem Marom Hem Marom Hem

• Marthamaire's Profile Photo

The best way to see Angkor Wat - by Tuk Tuk

by Marthamaire Written Feb 9, 2014

The absolute best way to see Angkor Wat is to buy a multi day pass and hire a Tuk Tuk driver. Not only is it cheaper than a guide and a car, but you whip around faster and if you have a good driver, you can ask for him/her to stop at shops into which you need to go. I cannot recommend Nay Neang highly enough. I am a single lady and travel alone so Nay was perfect for me. He speaks excellent English. He was very helpful in arranging my multi day explorations of Angkor Wat. When I needed to buy a mouse pad and dental floss, off we went to the shops. When I needed to have my hair washed, he found me a good place. He can be hired by the day and where you go is up to you. For example, he took me to the Landmine Museum. On my final day, when I had to leave the hotel to board a cruise ship for Vietnam, there he was waiting to take me, although I had not booked him, thinking he would want an all day customer. He took me where I needed to go and would not accept a penny. A great guy.

Nay Nay's business card
    • Women's Travel

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Getting around Siem Reap

by Cathy&Gary Updated Jan 15, 2014

These tuk-tuks are a lot smaller than the Phnom Penh ones.
    They are good for 2 people and are covered which offers some protection from the sun and rain.

Tuk-Tuks are great for getting around Siem Reap and most trips around town only cost $1. We booked Marom Hem for our 3 days there at a cost of $10 per day. More info on Marom in my travelogues.

Some would prefer air conditioned cars which are approximately $20 - $30 per day to hire.

We prefered the tuk-tuk, it was not hot in them at all, (and we are no spring chickens and like our comfort) as soon as they start moving the breeze is wonderful, instant cooling effect and also much easier for taking photos!

(Tuk-Tuks are different in Siem Reap to the ones in Phnom Penh. They only seat 2 people comfortably).

Marom's current rates are:
    Current rates as of 2014:
    Day Rates for Marom's tuk-tuk which seats 2 comfortably are:

Angkor Archaeological Park $15
    Banteay Srey $22
    Kbal Spean $30
    Beng Mealear $35
    ($45 To Bantey Srey and Beng Mealear)

Lake Trips
    Kompong Phluk (wet season only)
    1 - 3 people $70
    4 - 6 people $90

Kompong Khleang
    1 - 3 people $80
    4 - 6 people $100

Countryside tours are $25 - $35 depending on the distance traveled.
    Phnom Kulen cannot be accessed by tuk-tuk but Marom can take you there on his moto or organize a car/van.

Email Marom: emailmarom@yahoo.com
    or
    maromtuktuk1@gmail

His phone number is below.

Marom Hem Marom Hem
    • Motorcycle

• CDM7's Profile Photo

Life on the river near Siem Reap

by CDM7 Updated Nov 10, 2013

Our journey started from our hotel in Siem Reap,from here we traveled by mini bus for about 30 minutes before reaching the river.Here we boarded our small boat which took us up the river for a trip which lasted about 3 hours.On the way we passed several fishermen waist deep in water using a weighted fishing net,many floating homes where families survive by fish and crocodile farming.Many of the people live on the riverbank in very basic homes made of wooden poles covered with plastic sheeting.

• Photography
    • Sailing and Boating

• Vip Golden Bus Scam

by shaunmacl Written May 28, 2013

Warning: Don't buy Sleeper Bus or VIP Bus tickets from Siem Reap to Bangkok! The company was called “Golden VIP Bus” I think.

Two days ago my wife and I bought tickets from Siem Reap to Bangkok on the “sleeper” night bus. We bought them from an agent near the night market. Last night we were picked up at 2 am from our hotel driven round and round Siem Reap picking up other passengers and then deposited near our hotel where we sat for an hour being bitten by mosquitos. Eventually a very uncomfortable bus with little leg room, dirty and with a cracked windscreen arrived. We were then old there was no sleeper bus. When we arrived at the Thai border which we had been told opened at 6 a.m we discovered it opened at 7 am. As we had been promised the bus would arrive at the Khao San Road at 10.30. a.m we were concerned.

At the frontier at 2.30 pm, we had to change buses – when we had been told the same bus would go straight through to Bangkok.

Worse was to come. There was no bus to meet us on the Thai side. We waited with 8 other cheated passengers until 10.30 and the another scammer from Golden VIP buses tried to take more money from us to hire a mini bus. We accepted but refused to pay until we got to Bangkok fours late. Some passengers probably missed their flight.

Avoid Golden VIP buses at all cost. And watch out lest they change their name.

I have been travelling to Cambodia since 1997 and love the country. I have never been scammed before. Most Cambodians are charming, considerate and honest. It is such a shame that a few criminals can give the country a bad name.

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Fly with Bangkok Airways

by akkipaa Written Mar 19, 2013

Hopefully this is not seen as an advertisement, but I really like Bangkok Airways. OK, this time the service was not OK (fligt was to Bangkok), lunch was not OK, and drinking car disappeared before serving us. But...

Look the plane! The same flight continued from Bangkok to Samui and it's a real Beach Buggy! I was very happy to jump to the plane.

• Photography

Instant Answers: Siem Reap

Comments

Siem Reap Transportation

Reviews and photos of Siem Reap transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Siem Reap sightseeing.