Siem Reap Transportation

by anilpradhanshillong

Best Rated Transportation in Siem Reap

11 wheels Vehicle?

by AngMimi Written Jun 18, 2012

11 wheels vehicle? Thats using both your legs, well, our legs looks like 11, right? hahaha.. what a cheap joke, i got here..

Anyway, Siem Reap city is a small city to get around by foot. Just walk to see a lot of interesting things happened at Pub Street, Nite Market and Old Market..

11 wheels vehicle :-))

For Cheaper Ride, follow the gang

by AngMimi Written Jun 18, 2012

I was quite fascinated to see this type of tractor when I visited Danau Toba. Here, I see them again in Siem Reap at a Buddhist temple premise in Lolei. I'm not an engineer but I got the chance to see how this tractor works.

Anyway, thats one of cheapest transportation in Siem Reap as I seen a lot of villagers travel in this type of tractor.

Helicopter Rides

by AngMimi Written Jun 18, 2012

I saw a Helicopter fly passed Phnom Bakheng during sunset. The view must be spectacular around Angkor Wat, temples and the countryside, another wish I want to sit on a Helicopter.

Well, Helistar Cambodia do offers scenic helicopter tours of the temples beginning at USD90 per person for an 8 minutes ride.

Located at Siem Reap International Airport, Domestic Terminal.
    Office on NR6, Borey Angkor Arcade. Walk in customers are welcome.

Its not the real heli, I saw in SR.

Express Bus to Phnom Penh

by AngMimi Updated Jun 12, 2012

Express bus is the very popular transport between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. The Road is in good condition and we took Mekong Express to Phnom Penh. Its only a 5 hours trip and the price about US$11 per person (for foreigner like us).

For contact no : Please refer to ticket in Picture 3

Mekong Express to Phnom Penh Bus station in Siem Reap Bus ticket Pretty Bus Assistant Light refeshment - drinking water and pastry

Elephant Rides

by AngMimi Written Jun 18, 2012

I always wish to ride on an elephant, now I regret for not having that ride when I at Phnom Bakheng :-((

Anyway, you can find them waiting for customers near Bayon and at the South Gate of Angkor Thom and they offer elephant treks between the two sides. In the evening, the elephants will move and stationed at the base of Phnom Bakheng, to transport riders up the hill to see the sunset. Please take a ride if you have no energy to walk up to the hill.

USD15 for a 25 minutes ride.

Elephant ride at Bakheng

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Tuk -tuk to Angkor wat

by balhannah Written Apr 10, 2008

To be taken around the angkor wat park for the day, should cost $10. The driver will drop you off and wait for you to return, you can take as long as you want. To go to Banteay srei, will cost $20. It is worth visiting, has nice carvings.

Tuk-tuk

by AngMimi Written Jun 12, 2012

Tuk-tuks, can be found everywhere in Siem Reap. A trip within Siem Reap will cost US$2 for 4 people or 6 people, if the driver in the good mood. Ensure both you and driver agree on the destination and total fare before departure.

One two tree ---smile!!

• PandawitchElphie's Profile Photo

Tuk-Tuk Drivers and Tour Guides

by PandawitchElphie Written Mar 14, 2014

Based on recommendations here on VT, I planned our trip to Siem Reap with intentions to 'try' out the favorite Tour Guides and Tuktuk drivers. I've settled on 2 people I want to highly recommend.

Mr. Chet
    He's a tour guide you can book for your visits to the temples. Speaks english well. Very friendly and helpful. Hand him your camera, and he'll take the best photos. He was able to explain things so well that I actually REMEMBERED everything he's shared. (without writing anything down). With his stories, we were able to identify statues and carvings on our own. We booked him for a day, to go visit the waterfalls, 1000 Lingas and Bantay Srei on our first day. And we totally think he's worth it. You may contact him on his mobile numbers 012369112 and 016903112. He's a colleague of SAM PHO who has been highly recommended but disappointed us-- I was emailing him back and forth, getting responses and assurances only to find out AFTER I asked him point blank "You'll be our guide, yes?" only to be told he was already booked and he was passing us on to his coworker. Well, he gave us to Chet and we're very happy about it. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY (did I forget to say HIGHLY?) recommend Mr. Chet. :)

Mr. Da
    I want to call him the Filipino's driver to Siem Reap. No. He's not Filipino. BUT he's beloved by a lot of us. His very own tuktuk was given to him by a couple from Mindanao who loved his services so much that they gave him his source of livelihood (he used to rent a tuktuk to earn a living). Da goes around wearing a baseball cap with the Philippine islands embroidered on the front. One, he's friendly. Two, he speaks better English than most tour guides I've seen and heard. Three, he provided us with cold water. He has a little cooler on his tuk. And lastly, he knows where to take you and MOST IMPORTANTLY, he knows WHEN to take you (to avoid the crowds). You may email him at maoda (at) live (dot) com. Mind you, he's only a tuktuk driver-- I'd say a perfect combination would be to get Chet and Da.

If you do get them... please say The Pandas recommended them (AJ and Margaret). :D Tell them hi and send our love pls.

Here's the thing:
    I recommend, from personal experience, if you're not a physically fit (meaning, ready to sweat it out in hiking boots and go climbing mountains and boulders for fun) that you take an airconed vehicle to the out of the way places like Kulen mountain or 1000 lingas. You will KISS the person who invented airconditioning. The hike is no easy feat... it's really tiring. And entering a cool vehicle (where you can pass out and sleep on your way back to your hotel) is a blessing.

If you're just going to Angkor Thom, Angkor Wat, Bayon, the terrace of the elephant and the Leper King... or even just go to Pub street... take a tuktuk. That is, IF the place where you live is NEAR pub street.

if you stay where we stayed which was The Siem Reap Hostel, you can definitely walk to Pub Street (trust me, I'm lazy and I could walk it). But to get to the temples, the tuktuk was fun, cheap and a breezy ride.

Mr. Chet: the most entertaining tour guide Mr. Da: best tuk-tuk driver ever.

Van

by AngMimi Written Jun 12, 2012

The hotel can arrange van for you for single or multiple days. They are charged more than Tuk-tuk per day, but of course, its much comfortable sitting in a van with air condition. :-))) Our driver can speak good english and is very friendly and helpful.

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Bicycle

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Mar 10, 2014

Many tourists travel around to see Angor Wat and around by tuk tuk.It's a very good and convenience way to do.I'm doubting at the beginning if I'll do it that way or by bicycle.Finally I and my mate agree to do it with bicycle.It's very cheap to rent bicycle there.Most hotels provide some of them for rent.My hotel offer 1$ per day.There are many bicycle shop for rent,so.. shop around before decide cuz some of bicycle was not in good condition.Try them before you go cuz we have to ride it all day.Some shop offer one free bottle water as well.My hotel didn't offer any water but it doesn't matter much,we can buy cheap water any where.I chose a normal bicycle ,not a mountain bike(which cost more.. around 2-3 $) and I don't see why I shoud need a mountain bike cuz the route is flat.Try to ride it first cuz my mate got 2 bad condition one, first ..the chain came off twice during riding..they change to be anotherone which was mountain bike but very bad riding .Mine was perfect..can ride happily all day and not tired at all.It's only the intense heat during the day when you walk at the site that was the problem,so prepare yourself with some hat,sunblock, and drinking water.You'll be sweating a lot.Even I drank a lot already but still had bad headache cuz the heat was so tense this season(late Feb -late May) But when we ride ..it's not hot cuz the wind blow to our face ...it's quite enjoyable ride.The road condition are all paved in the total grand circuit.

Balloon Rides

by AngMimi Written Jun 18, 2012

We missed the chance to have the Balloon ride near Angkor Wat because the office closed for celebrating Khmer New Year.

Anyway, you can take a ride a Balloon ride 200m straight up for an awesome views of Angkor Wat and other temples. The big yellow balloon is based about 1km east of Angkor Wat on the road from the airport.

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Mekong Express Bus

by Cathy&Gary Updated Mar 21, 2009

We really enjoyed the bus trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh.
    Cost then was $9 per ticket.

Mekong Express buses are clean, have a toilet, television set (with Mr Bean playing!) and a guide who points out interesting facts along the way.

You are also supplied with a bottle of water and a snack pak with 3 delicious pastries.

The bus leaves Siem Reap at 8am and arrives in Phnom Penh about 5 hours later.

(Back in 1992 when Gary did this trip he drove there and the drive one way took one and a half days due to the shocking condition of the roads!!).

Apparently Mekong Express drivers have a reputation for being safe and our driver was great, no close calls at all. (Well not close for Cambodia!!).

There is a 30 - 40 minute break at Kompong Thom right opposie Arunas Restaurant.

So go for a walk and stretch your legs, have a look around, buy a drink, or maybe a snack of fried tarantulas.

We have friends who have done this trip before and they suggested we book 2 seats each so we could stretch out a bit.

Great advise, but we sure got some funny looks!! But it was lovely not being squashed up next to someone and because we had paid for 2 seats each we both were given 2 snack pacs and 2 drinks each.

The camera came out a lot on this bus trip as each truck we saw seemed to be loaded higher and higher.

Highly recommend doing the bus trip at least one way!!

Siem Reap Office

87 Eoz, Sisowath Quay, Sangkat Wat Phnom,
    Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh,Cambodia
    Tel : (855-23) 427 518 / (855-12) 787 839
    Fax : (855-23) 427 168

More photos of the bus trip Here

Mekong Express Views from the bus Views from the bus Views from the bus Views from the bus

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Tuk tuk to Beng Mealea

by rosequartzlover1 Written Mar 12, 2014

The first morning in Siem reap I woke up little too late for whole day bicycle ride for the grand circuit ,so I decide to go to Beng mealea first by tuk tuk.I asked price from hotel staff the night before and he offer some price that I can accept.I asked him to bring me Beng Mealea in the morning and the floating village in the afternoon ,he asked for 50$.It's fair price for both I think,because if some need to win the bargaining by trying to make the price way too low ,it's not fair for such poor people who earn for a living and probably he has to feed the whole family ...parents,wife ,kids ,uncle ,aunt and grand parents...(very similar life style to Thailand rural life).And this place is far, about 130km. round trip ,it took about 1 and half hour ride one way.So I negotiated only a bit and agree for both side with this price.He works for Makong boutique hotel with another tuk tuk.His name is Oan.After came back from Beng mealea it's very hot so he waited for us to have lunch at the hotel and rest a little bit in the room,then continue to floating village in late afternoon.Normally most tuk tuk driver will provide customer with nice cold bottle water to drink along the way ,you can confirm with them before ride.I bought some extra bottle for myself but along the way or at the site itself ..there are plenty of drink and food stalls.

My tuk tuk driver. some part of Beng Mealea. a swing branch.

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Getting around Siem Reap

by Cathy&Gary Updated Jan 15, 2014

These tuk-tuks are a lot smaller than the Phnom Penh ones.
    They are good for 2 people and are covered which offers some protection from the sun and rain.

Tuk-Tuks are great for getting around Siem Reap and most trips around town only cost $1. We booked Marom Hem for our 3 days there at a cost of $10 per day. More info on Marom in my travelogues.

Some would prefer air conditioned cars which are approximately $20 - $30 per day to hire.

We prefered the tuk-tuk, it was not hot in them at all, (and we are no spring chickens and like our comfort) as soon as they start moving the breeze is wonderful, instant cooling effect and also much easier for taking photos!

(Tuk-Tuks are different in Siem Reap to the ones in Phnom Penh. They only seat 2 people comfortably).

Marom's current rates are:
    Current rates as of 2014:
    Day Rates for Marom's tuk-tuk which seats 2 comfortably are:

Angkor Archaeological Park $15
    Banteay Srey $22
    Kbal Spean $30
    Beng Mealear $35
    ($45 To Bantey Srey and Beng Mealear)

Lake Trips
    Kompong Phluk (wet season only)
    1 - 3 people $70
    4 - 6 people $90

Kompong Khleang
    1 - 3 people $80
    4 - 6 people $100

Countryside tours are $25 - $35 depending on the distance traveled.
    Phnom Kulen cannot be accessed by tuk-tuk but Marom can take you there on his moto or organize a car/van.

Email Marom: emailmarom@yahoo.com
    or
    maromtuktuk1@gmail

His phone number is below.

Marom Hem Marom Hem
    • Motorcycle

• theguardianangel's Profile Photo

Mekong Express Limousine Bus

by theguardianangel Written Nov 8, 2012

We took a bus of the Mekong Express to Siem Reap, Cambodia through our hostel in HCMC. The travel is an enduring 12 hours. There are 2 choices of time of departure from Saigon to Siem Reap- 730am and 9am. We chose the 730am so we can arrive in Siem Reap at an earlier time. Bus ticket costs 420, 000VND. The bus also travels to Phnom Penh with time departures at 730am, 9am and 130pm and costs 210, 000 VND. We were asked to prepare at 630am because someone from the agency will fetch us. This bus is what usually the tourists take going to Cambodia. I don’t blame them since I had a very good impression of it.

The service is great! There’s an attendant who speaks a local language (I believe it’s the Cambodian local) and English. Once the bus started to move, the attendant gives an introduction and also updates the tourists to where the bus is heading. Snacks and bottled water are distributed and a little later, the attendant will ask you to hand him your passport.

Upon the arrival in the border, the travelers will be asked to get out of the bus. The bus will be waiting outside the immigration. The immigration is like a very simple office. The only problem I see here is when more buses arrive and unload tourists; the long line of waiting seems forever. After the passports are stamped, each of the attendant’s bus helps out the immigration officer by calling out the name indicated in the passport. When all the peoe inside the bus, the attendant will call out again the name in the passport and that’s the only time it will be given back. The bus will be crossing the river by a big boat (that’s what I think of it) and that will indicate that you are already in Phnom Penh.

We arrived in the Mekong Express Station in Phnom Penh around 1245pm. We were asked to wait for the bus that will take us to Siem Reap so while waiting we took our lunch in their small canteen. I enjoyed their iced Cappuccino which costs 1.90USD. The canteen serves snacks like noodles in cups, breads, cookies, iced coffees & ice cream. The bus going to Siem Reap arrived at 120pm. At around 430pm, we stopped over a canteen for 15mins then arrived in Siem Reap at 745pm.

welcome to Mekong Express Station Mekong Express Limousine bottled water while waiting for the next bus... lunch!!! yum! yum!

Instant Answers: Siem Reap

Comments

Siem Reap Transportation

Reviews and photos of Siem Reap transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Siem Reap sightseeing.