Siem Reap Transportation

• theguardianangel's Profile Photo

Tuk-Tuk

by theguardianangel Written Dec 17, 2012

We caught Mr. Chun taking a nap..wehe

Tuk-tuk can get you anywhere in town with a standard rate of 2USD for short distances only. We hired the tuk-tuk driver, Mr. Chun, a nephew of Mr. BunKao (owner of the guesthouse where we stayed). The day tour package includes the Angkor Wat and other temples costs 20USD. The next day, we hired Mr. Dee, a family friend of Mr. BunKao, for half day tour around the town costs 8USD. Both of the locals are very down to earth and helpful to give us additional details about the places we went to.

• Motorcycle

• limledi's Profile Photo

Recommend Tuktuk Driver - Saren Ret

by limledi Written Feb 2, 2013

Recommend Tuktuk Driver - Saren Ret

I would highly recommend Saren Ret whose email is rentuktuk@yahoo.com. I booked a 3-day tour with him. He is a very nice guy who waits on you patiently even if you are almost an hour late. He is not conscious of time even if the tour finishes after dark. He's also very generous buying us corn cobs for snacks. Ren doesn't abuse you. Whenever we invite him to dine with us, he politely refuses. We were 4 pax in a group & he is generous to give us ice cold bottles of water. We paid him at the last day of the tour. We were so satisfied with him that we gave him a tip. I can say he has one of the best rate too.

• jonhstefan's Profile Photo

siem reap tuk tuk

by jonhstefan Written Feb 6, 2013

siem reap taxi driver

He was out tuk-tuk driver for 2 days and I would say that he is the best tour guide/driver in siem reap! We love his tuk-tuk, it was a very comfortable one with cushions and shades from rain or sun. Since it was raining during the time we visited the temples, Sam was very ready to protect us with any rainfall. He even had an umbrella with him. He also gave good ideas on where to eat at and what to buy, or how to say no to the vendors. He\'s a very honest driver - not that type who will take advantage of a tourist\'s innocence. I would highly recommend Sam Sa Vat :) Thanks Sam for a very interesting trip! ,

www.angkorbestdriver.com
    www.siemreaptuktuk.com

• Tuk Tuk Service By Srapon Is The Best

by rbcyes Written Feb 1, 2012

We pre-arranged our 3 full days travel around Siem Reap with Srapon.
    His website is http://mytuktuk.com.
    During our entire visit, he was always early to pick us up and very courteous and spoke English well.
    We had arrived with some preconceived notion of what we wanted to see first and he guided us to the right places at the right times to avoid the onslaught of tour groups.
    Additionally, he gave us a never-ending supple of cold bottled water throughout every moment of every day.
    He is clearly very experienced and has very good people skills.
    His price was more than fair and he gave us the best service we could have hoped for.
    If you plan to use a tuk-tuk in and around Siem Reap, you must use this man's service.

• National/State Park
    • Adventure Travel
    • Archeology

• AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers in Cambodia!

by sawwee Written Dec 28, 2012

I wanted to travel from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville and I made a terrible mistake: I bought a bus ticket from "Gold VIP Transport Service". (At some of their agents they called simply "Gold VIP bus".)
    The bus was advertised as a comfortable sleeping bus with 3 sleeping beds in one row. It was also told that it was a direct bus from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville and provided many extra services like free wifi and free drinking water.
    On the bus it turned out that it was NOT a sleeping bus at all, instead the sleeping beds we got some chairs with almost zero leg room. We tried to complain but the Glold VIP guys didn't care about that and suddenly they didn't understand English anymore.
    The bus departured with 1 hour delay and we were not informed nor about the reason neither the approximated time of the departure. The advertised "extra services" didn't exist at all, none of them, unless if you consider the kmehr lanuage soup opers we were forced to watch (or at least to listen) in the middle of the night on maximum volume in the bus.
    But the worse part came just in the morning: it turned out that our bus was NOT a direct bus as it was advertised for all the passangers (even though they bought their tickets to different destinations, LOL) but we had to change the bus two times. Each time we had to wait more than 2.5 hours to get the connecting bus and we were not informed about how long we had to wait. The connecting buses were in even worse condition, they were smelly, dirty and overcrowded, one of them had no air condition.
    Finally we got to Sihanoukville at 3 pm. instead of 10 am. Later I hear very similair stories about Gold VIP bus from other travellers.
    Fortunately you can find other bus companies in Siem Reap and you can get REAL sleeping bus and REAL direct bus to Sihanoukville (and to Phnom Penh, too.)

• Marthamaire's Profile Photo

The best way to see Angkor Wat - by Tuk Tuk

by Marthamaire Written Feb 9, 2014

Nay

The absolute best way to see Angkor Wat is to buy a multi day pass and hire a Tuk Tuk driver. Not only is it cheaper than a guide and a car, but you whip around faster and if you have a good driver, you can ask for him/her to stop at shops into which you need to go. I cannot recommend Nay Neang highly enough. I am a single lady and travel alone so Nay was perfect for me. He speaks excellent English. He was very helpful in arranging my multi day explorations of Angkor Wat. When I needed to buy a mouse pad and dental floss, off we went to the shops. When I needed to have my hair washed, he found me a good place. He can be hired by the day and where you go is up to you. For example, he took me to the Landmine Museum. On my final day, when I had to leave the hotel to board a cruise ship for Vietnam, there he was waiting to take me, although I had not booked him, thinking he would want an all day customer. He took me where I needed to go and would not accept a penny. A great guy.

• Women's Travel

• CDM7's Profile Photo

Life on the river near Siem Reap

by CDM7 Updated Nov 10, 2013

Our journey started from our hotel in Siem Reap,from here we traveled by mini bus for about 30 minutes before reaching the river.Here we boarded our small boat which took us up the river for a trip which lasted about 3 hours.On the way we passed several fishermen waist deep in water using a weighted fishing net,many floating homes where families survive by fish and crocodile farming.Many of the people live on the riverbank in very basic homes made of wooden poles covered with plastic sheeting.

• Photography
    • Sailing and Boating

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Tuk tuk to Beng Mealea

by rosequartzlover1 Written Mar 12, 2014

My tuk tuk driver.

The first morning in Siem reap I woke up little too late for whole day bicycle ride for the grand circuit ,so I decide to go to Beng mealea first by tuk tuk.I asked price from hotel staff the night before and he offer some price that I can accept.I asked him to bring me Beng Mealea in the morning and the floating village in the afternoon ,he asked for 50$.It's fair price for both I think,because if some need to win the bargaining by trying to make the price way too low ,it's not fair for such poor people who earn for a living and probably he has to feed the whole family ...parents,wife ,kids ,uncle ,aunt and grand parents...(very similar life style to Thailand rural life).And this place is far, about 130km. round trip ,it took about 1 and half hour ride one way.So I negotiated only a bit and agree for both side with this price.He works for Makong boutique hotel with another tuk tuk.His name is Oan.After came back from Beng mealea it's very hot so he waited for us to have lunch at the hotel and rest a little bit in the room,then continue to floating village in late afternoon.Normally most tuk tuk driver will provide customer with nice cold bottle water to drink along the way ,you can confirm with them before ride.I bought some extra bottle for myself but along the way or at the site itself ..there are plenty of drink and food stalls.

• Tuk Tuk Driver Recommendation in Siem Reap

by nelliethebeagle Updated Apr 4, 2011

I just came back from Cambodia a few days ago. I hired Sra Pon to be our tuk-tuk driver for four and a half days in Siem Reap. He was very reliable. He was always on time every morning and kept his tuk-tuk very clean and tidy. The seat was very soft and covered in fabric seats (most other tuk-tuks have vinyl seats), which is great when the roads are bumpy and the weather is hot!! He even supplied us with bottles of cold water and wet towels in his ice box everyday. He spoke very good English and he could also read English as we showed him the names of the temples we wanted to visit. He brought us to any place we wanted and suggested other places also.

He may not be the fastest tuk-tuk driver in Siem Reap but he is the safest and most careful driver in Siem Reap. Everyday we did the morning tour of the temples, followed by 2-3 hour lunch break and rest at the hotel, then did the afternoon tour of the temples. He made good suggestions as when to visit certain temples to avoid crowds. He also took us to different restaurants and other interesting places we wanted to go at night without any complains.

His rates are very reasonable, in fact was slightly lower than the other tuk-tuk driver was asking.

You can contact him at srapon@ymail.com
    His phone number is (855) 89461575

You will never regret that you hired him to take you around!

• aberacadabra's Profile Photo

Taxi to town

by aberacadabra Written Apr 18, 2011

On exiting the airport, past the cell phone (Sim card) shops is where you pay a flat rate of USD 7 to get to your lodgings. In the cab, you'll be asked by your driver if you need a car to get around the temples. The initial quote will be USD 30/day (excluding petrol for farther sites like Banteay Srei or Kulen) as stated on your receipt.

The trick is not to express interest, stay silent for awhile and your driver will drop the price to USD 25/day. From here, you can start bargaining if you're going to go to the temples for 3 or more days. USD 20-25 should be the average price for a driver. As mentioned, farther off places like Banteay Srei or Kbal Spean will attract a few more dollars.

You can also ask your driver to get you an english speaking/other language guide. It costs an additional USD25 per day.

• ancient_traveler's Profile Photo

BICYCLE RENTAL

by ancient_traveler Written Mar 28, 2012

Bicycling is quickly becoming a popular way to visit the temples. The roads between the main temples are paved and the distances are about right for a bicycle touring. Bring sun screen, a good hat, water and a Cambodian scarf to keep the sun off your neck. Many of the guesthouses, hotels have bicycles for rent. $1.5-$4/day depending on the type and quality of the bike.

• Photography

• Highly Recommended Car Driver In Siem Reap

by magte Written Jul 12, 2009

I highly recommend any traveller to use the service of this local driver of mine. His name is Mr Dara Rann. To my opinion and a few days experienced with him, I find that he is very honest, reliable and a quiet man. He drove an old Totota Camry. A very responsible and careful driver. He knows every corner and tries to avoid every pothole on the road. Never encouraged you to do shopping to earn commission unless you requested yourself. Even if you don't buy anything, it is OK with him.

His daily rate inclusive of petrol is USD25/day if just around Angkor Wat complex or USD35/day to go further location such as Tonle Sap river or Phnom Kulen. He is also a licensed tour guide at a rate of USD25/day.

The only problem with him is he tried not to drive further than what he is supposed to. I think it is because he tried to conserve as much car petrol as possible. Petrol in Cambodia is very expensive. So pay him extra if you wants to go further or tip him well for his good services.

To my opinion, it is unnecessary to hire him as tour guide. Read your way through and by asking him questions. In that way, you will save by half. He can be contacted at his H/P# +855-12-784448 or email ranndara1980@yahoo.com. He doesn't read his email everyday. Give him a few days to respond.

• Museum Visits

• theguardianangel's Profile Photo

NOMO Bus going to Phnom Penh

by theguardianangel Written Dec 17, 2012

NOMO bus

Because we were on a budget, we booked a bus going back to Phnom Penh through our guesthouse. We chose NOMO bus instead of Mekong since there’s a big price difference. Nomo Bus is only 8USD while Mekong is 15USD. Nomo Bus is also air conditioned. Bus tickets were given to us at that moment with the number seats on it. A staff picked up us in the guesthouse and did a few stop overs for the other customers along the way to the bus terminal.

Just don’t expect something similar with the services offered by Mekong. Since Nomo bus is cheaper, the vehicle that fetched us in the guesthouse is a non-air conditioned van and looks like it’s ready to be in the garage at any moment.

At the bus terminal, there are staffs seated infront of the bus and you have to show the
    bus tickets to get it stamped before getting inside. The bus also has bathroom.

However, my friends and I, find it uncomfortable when we got inside.. people are shouting (most of them are locals). There’s no order and definitely a big difference to the services by Mekong. Oh well, it’s the choice we made… we just endured the travel. The only thing we enjoyed here is the movies played. Hollywood action movies like Unknown and The Transporter rocked the travelers. The usual videos played in Mekong are Cambodian music videos.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

TRAVEL TO POIPET

by davidjo Written May 21, 2012

Now that the road is finally surfaced bus travel to Poipet is easy by bus, taking less than 3 hours. At Poipet you will probably have to take a smaller bus to the border then walk across. Then you can get a tuk-tuk to either the bus station or train station.

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Siem Reap Airport

by akkipaa Written Mar 17, 2013

The airport of Siam Reap is very handy, it's a small and friendly with very fast tracks in immigration.

The airport jas only a few gates, some shops with a lot of nice stuff in.

What to buy? "We" bought a tin pill case (they are different size, round and ovals) and some wrist bands. And guess what? I bought spices and took some take-away recipes with me :)

FCC (Foreign Correspondent club) restaurant is here also, the only in the airport, so you have to stand the costs.

Photo 2: This lovely lady with extremely nice Khmer dress where working in on of the shops, I discussed with her a while and she told me that she has two kind of them as working dress and this is for weekday use. I wonder how she looks when dressed to the feast dress :)

Instant Answers: Siem Reap

Comments

Siem Reap Transportation

Reviews and photos of Siem Reap transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Siem Reap sightseeing.