Siem Reap Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Siem Reap

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Accosted by massage girls!!!

by blueskyjohn Updated Sep 29, 2014

Siem Reap has no shortage of massage places. Some, very nice legitimate spas and others, well rather questionable. There is a road between the Angkor Night Market and Sivatha Road. It is actually Street 7 across Sivatha.

This road is lined with $1 dollar massage places, boldly signed and numerous girls sitting in front calling out to all passer-bys. They usually start in the early afternoon but when the sun goes down they get very aggressive.

I'm a very friendly person. As I am not interested in a "$1" massage, I politely decline with a smile and continue through the gauntlet. I had to walk through this road each day because my hotel was on one side and all the restaurants, Pub Street and Night Markets were on the other. By the second day, the same girls realized I must be alone since I never walked with anyone. They began, in a friendly way, to block my path 3 or 4 at a time. One would single out and grab my arm. But not in a gentle way. She would latch on and not let go! I had to rip my arm away several times.

This happened every time I walked through! No matter how polite I was, it continued. Finally I had enough, put my angry face on and told them to stop. Strangely enough this did not work!

So I came up on the spur of the moment with an ingenious idea. Take their photo! Wow! This worked great. They ran and scattered like cockroaches when the lights go on. After two days of doing that, they got to know me and left me alone. Even the threat of taking their photo worked. I added pictures of it and blanked out the faces.

• Singles
    • Spa and Resort

• davidjo's Profile Photo

AVOID DRUGS

by davidjo Written Aug 25, 2014

This sign was at the entrance of my guest house. Of course foreign tourists are unlikely to be carrying a weapon but some may be tempted by the availability of drugs, so the sign reminds us that it is forbidden in Cambodia.

Milk Formula Scam!!

by Cathy&Gary Written Apr 6, 2013

The milk formula scam has been around for a long time in Siem Reap, the first photo I took of these people was back in 2006. It will be children or women carrying babies or toddlers and they do not ask for money, they ask you to buy formula for the baby and will then take you into a shop to buy it, normally at an inflated price $15 - $35.

Once you are gone the formula is taken back to the shop and resold back to the shop owner. So it is a good money making racket for the shop owners and the beggars with babies. This is not just happening from mini marts in Pub Street, it is also happening at the mini mart next to the Night Markets.

I am convinced these babies and toddlers are drugged as we have seen at least 6 different women and children with the babies and they are never awake, and they look quite lifeless!

My sister and I were approached near Molly Malone’s and we told her we would buy milk but she had to come with us so we could buy it from our friends shop, she became quite aggressive and walked off yelling at us “you are bad”.

Actually we saw a couple of girls carrying babies come out of the laneway that runs alongside MM so I don’t know if maybe this is where they are based.

The bottom line is never give money to beggars especially children, it does not solve anything and this keeps them out of school as the parents know their children can be good money spinners, so why would a parent try to find work or better themselves when they know the children can earn good money begging.

So the cycle just keeps going on and on!

The local hard working Khmer people hate the begging that is happening as a lot of them are run by criminal gangs. There are many scams to be aware of not just in Siem Reap, the rice scam is very similar to the baby formula one, if someone wants to take you to buy rice for an orphanage – do not do it.

If you want to help then donate to a reputable charity not to an individual.

• Photography
    • Archeology

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Dead Person in the River

by AlbuqRay Updated May 16, 2009

Not everything in Siem Reap is good. In the morning on my last day there, we were headed south to Phnom Krom. Where Sivatha Boulevard intersects Pomkambor Avenue, the river makes two almost 90-degree turns and then runs south again. This forms a slough after the first turn. The slough is before you get to the Crocodile Farm and is probably about 200 meters from Wat Damnak.

When we came around that turn, there was a large crowd of people (maybe 100) on the other side of the river. I thought it was a wedding or something, but I guess it was unusual because my guide asked if we could go see what was going on; I said sure. There turned out to be a body in the slough. We intentionally did not get close because the police had not arrived yet. That afternoon when we got back, I asked the hotel staff what happened. They had not even heard about it. Maybe dead people in the river are not uncommon occurrences.

Crowd Across the River in the Morning Same Place in the Afternoon

Beggers

by Cathy&Gary Written Mar 21, 2009

Begging is very common throughout Cambodia, especially in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

Many of them are children.

Think twice before you give them money as you will then be helping them to depend on this way of living.

Many of them work for gangs or are made to beg by their family, a lot beg to support their glue sniffing habits - especially in the market areas.

Its far better to buy them a drink or something to eat!!

Violence

by Cathy&Gary Written Mar 21, 2009

Violence against tourists is pretty rare, however if you are in a crowded nightclub or bar, just be alert.

If you do happen to get into an argument with a young rich Khmer, just back off, many of them carry guns so its just not worth standing your ground and arguing.

Bags, Cameras etc

by Cathy&Gary Written Jul 23, 2006

Always be aware of your handbag, backpacks, cameras, mobile phones etc.

Especially if you are travelling in a cyclo, hold on to your belongings tightly, wrap you handbag strap a couple of times around your wrist.

If a bike pulls up alongside you with 2 guys on it, chances are the passenger is checking out what you have he can easily grab.

We met a lady who on her first day in Phnom Penh was warned about this but obviously took no notice. Her bag was snatched, she had over $1,000. her camera documents etc in it. DONT CARRY large amounts of money with you.

This warning applys really to wherever you are, I take care with all my belongings whether I am overseas or at home as it can happen anywhere.

Water

by Cathy&Gary Written Jul 23, 2006

Don't drink the tap water.

Bottles of water are very cheap and you can buy them everywhere.

Clean your teeth with bottled water as well.