Unique Places in Cambodia

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Cambodia

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Keep you Bat Camera with you, all the time

by akkipaa Written Mar 16, 2013

I bought a new camera (SLR, after long time with pocket ones) a year ago and I have kept my camera ready more than I have used to, with a waiting value that some day I can take rare, interesting, difficult and nice picture. Now I think that it happened, at least I am very close (and so far satisfied).

This is an off Beaten tip or should I say On Bat Path. There are two main difficulties with taking these nature photos, first you have to find animals and secondly you have to have capabilities (and equipment) with a lot of luck. The luck part decrease with your experience increasing I think.

I found the bats, I take a photo trip on three nights and on one I got my camera settings ok to (luckily) take some good ones. The recipe: luck, Nikon D, 65mm (18-200 lens), f5, 1/60s, flash, lot of shots , zooming out with camera program and mixing two shots afterwards.

• Photography

• ingap25's Profile Photo

Trekking in the Jungle

by ingap25 Written Jan 8, 2013

I had a look at the website. This short trek (2 days, 1 night) seems interesting but maybe too expensive (they ask 3-400 US$ per person, depending on number of participants).
    As indipendent traveller, I'm looking for a cheaper trek (basically I need a guide to help me find the way... no more people or comfort...).
    But I thank you very much... maybe your suggestion is helpful for people who are trekking in a group and can afford those prices.

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• DrunkenTraveller's Profile Photo

The river chronicles

by DrunkenTraveller Written Apr 24, 2012

When in Siam reap, apart from visiting Angkor Wat, dont miss out on the Tonle Sap river cruise. I know that what comes to mind when one says "Cruise" are deep blue waters, Luxury and good wine. This is far from that, and is not that kind of experience.

There are several old but sturdy boats lined up along the dock of what seems to be a muddy river. You will be taken along the stream for about 30 minutes to finally end up at a big area of water and structures. This is what they call the Chong Kneas floting village. You get a church, crocodile farm, many eateries and even a community Market. Its quite odd actually.. but very interesting.

Many vietnamese beggars approached us on their small canoe-like boats and will come upto us and begged sadly for money. They roam around these waters, scavenging for food.

We did not eat anything at the eateries since we were not sure of the clenliness.

A sure way of seeing a part of the Cambodian culture and getting a glimpse of their lifestyles.

Only go ahead with this activity if you have spare time and are not too bothered about comfort as it is no joy ride. Price was about USD 10 per person which i thought was too much. However, we enjoyed the experience as it is a part of Cambodia i will never forget. Lonely planet reviews of this place was awful, but im glad i went ahead with it :-)

Oh and for you photo buffs, Superb photo opportunities. Trust me!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

The last stronghold of the red Khmers.

by cachaseiro Written Jan 1, 2012

The red khmers might have lost the power in Cambodia more than 30 years ago, but they still have one lilttle town in western Cambodia where they stand Strong and that is thee town called Pailin.
    Pol Pot lived near here until he died, little over a decade and ago and "Brother number 3" Leng Sary lived here right up until 2007 when he was arrested and you still have large numbers of their supporters living in town.

These days it´s little but a quite backwater town though, but i must say that i enjoyed visitieng the place just to feel the history of Cambodia now that i have been to all the main memorials for the Pol Pot regime.

Pailin can serve as a way in or out of Cambodia too as it´s a border town even if it´s a border crossing that very few people use.
    I crossed the border there from Cambodia to Thailand and it was very fast and straight forward and recommended if you have your own trabsport (Iwas travelling by bicycle).
    Be aware though that public transport on the Thai side of the border is very limited.

• mikkie50's Profile Photo

ECO LODGE Ratanakiri province bang lung

by mikkie50 Updated Apr 4, 2011

HI ok this has got to be the most out of the way isolated places we have been fortunate enough t have visited. We were told about this by a couple of hardend back packers while staying in KEP way down in the south of cambodia.
    So on a spur of the moment decsion we decided to go.
    So it was back to phnom phen for a couple of days then the local bus (if you can call it a bus :-)) )to a place caled KRATIE half way to ratanakiri province.
    Three Breakdowns one change of gearbox and ten hours later we finally arrived in ban lung/ or bong long as it says on the map :-)
    It was 2am in the morning when we arrived the town was somthing out of the wild west. Total darkens luck was on ourside tho as a pick up truck was waiting to take us to our digs :-)) and eco lodge in the forrest /rain

• Eco-Tourism

• Koh Ker and Beng Mealea

by andyhad Updated Aug 19, 2010

Koh Ker is 2.5 to 3 hours by road, and the road is (as stated above) good, so wet season shouldn't be a problem. There is a LOT to see there, however - and you can get lunch locally, so I'd suggest leaving early (may have to pay driver/guide more!). Stopping at Beng Mealea on the way back is fine, but you're right - no way to visit Roluos as well. If you want to get photos, then consider staying overnight - it will be like having the Angkor Park to yourself!

I'd recommend either About Asia (www.aboutasiatravel.com) or Peace of Angkor (www.peaceofangkor.com) - both small specialist tour companies that do that sort of thing.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Prohm Kel - #6 on the Khmer Dharmasala Route

by AlbuqRay Updated May 31, 2010

The ancient Khmer Dharmasala Route or Royal Road runs from Preah Khan in the Angkor Temple Complex to Phimai in Thailand. It was built during the 12th and 13th centuries by the Mahayana Buddhist emperor Jayavarman VII and includes 17 dharmasalas (rest stops) along the way. I had been to several of these dharmasalas on the Thai side and wanted to visit some on the Cambodian side in March 2010. From Asger Mollerup's article, I chose Rest Stop #6, Prohm Kel and Spean Top, as one possibility for a day trip out of Seam Reap. Spean Top is a huge bridge with 34 arches and runs about 7 meters above the old Ochee River. Prohm Kel is the associated rest stop about 200-300 meters to the northwest in a nearby field. There are pictures here and in a travelogue below.

In March 2010, Prohm Kel was a remote, totally undeveloped site that I only found with some difficulty (and a lot of luck). It is located ~40 km north of Kralanh, on the old NH68 highway. See the travelogue below about the road to Prohm Kel and how to find it. When the new (wide) NH68 road is finished, Prohm Kel will be an easy half day trip out of Siem Reap and a highly visited site. I recommend trying to make it there before then and see the unrestored site. A local school teacher, Muy Prol (012-597862 or 097-6425380), happened to pass by on his motorcycle when I was walking around looking for the site. He speaks good English and offered to take me there (I was within one kilometer). He said that I was the second person that he had taken there.

• Archeology

• Sad...sad...sad

by radzuanm Written Aug 14, 2009

Why I'm sad?...because for some reason you'll always see the best for last and then you're craving to go there again. Damn! It's the bar that I've missed there. You see if you have a local guide, be prepared to think at their level. Make sure you get the guide who are versatile otherwise you'll only visited places which are within his radius only. Try to think outside the box when you're at places like Phnom Penh and do a lot of internet research before you go there.

• 2 more images

cambodia Off The Beaten Path

by marko2008 Written Mar 14, 2009

I just come back from a wondefull experience through Cambodia lifestyle. We had booked a 12 days trip with A La Carte Cambodia that we had tailored to our need: discover Cambodia's life. Indeed, we had a lot more than expected. My favorite destinations were the trek that we had in the Jungle of Mondolkiri by elephants with the minorities and a boat trip from Kompong Thom to Pursat. We had met very few tourists during our 12 days trip but we have met many local cambodian persons, the hospitality is wonderfull here ! You can contact directly Bunna who had prepared our tour and follow up with an extrem professionalism and friendlyness.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Cruise

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Ratanakiri.

by cachaseiro Written Jan 28, 2009

Ratanakiri is located in north east Cambodia and is home to some of the few minority tribes in Cambodia.
    There were previously lot's of minorities in Cambodia, but they were either driven away or killed during the khmer rouge years.
    Ratanakiri used to be an unsafe place, but it's fine now and have recently opened up to tourism.
    You can visit the minority villages in the region and there is also some good jungle trekking there.
    The town of Ratanakiri is not that pretty, but it's a bustling place with some charm to it and i quite enjoyed my time there.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• Traveling_Duck's Profile Photo

Tonle Sap - Rowing among the treetops

by Traveling_Duck Written Jan 9, 2009

Our hotel in Siem Reap (Indochine Pavillion) arranged for us a trip to the lake. Tonle Sap is the largest lake in Asia: 2500 square km in dry season, swelling to 12,500 square km in the rainy season - up to 7% of the entire surface of Cambodia! The trip by motor boat was rather long, but the adventure began once we transferred into a wooden canoe, propelled by a local who (it seemed to me) was perched in a rather dangerous position on its bow. We entered a sunken mangrove forest, and the feeling was that he was rowing among the crowns of the trees. The silence was eerie, broken only by the swishing sound of the paddle and the occasional chirping of a bird. It was early December, so the water was still high, but we were told that at the end of the winter, the ground gets dry and one can drive a car through the mangrove forest.
    A unique experience - I wouldn't have missed for the world!

• Adventure Travel

• liveactlife's Profile Photo

The Real Cambodia - Stop Overs to Banteay Srey

by liveactlife Written Aug 18, 2008

It was a novelty for me and my buddies to see the villages and their houses on our way to Banteay Srey. The villages, the paddy field, schools that need to be refurbished considering we travelled by tuk-tuk to cover 30km distance ie from Angkor Wat to Banteay Srey. We stop at the wet market at one of the village there.

Since, it was still morning, we passed by 2 wet markets and a few 'gas station'. The villagers here sell the petrol in the 'mineral bottle'. A journey not to be taken with a bus.

• Singles

• scotthall's Profile Photo

Kompong Speu Country Side

by scotthall Updated Oct 24, 2007

There is many cautions about going to the country side of cambodia due to catching malaria and other tropical diseases. But Kompong Speu is safer due to it being in southern Cambodia and around the Phnom Penh Area. I can find a tour guide who can speak english and khmer for you. Or if you want to find your own, try to find one that is from the area, especialy if she was born and raised there. Not only she be great as a guide but will also provice her and her family a little income :).

The country side is very peaceful and relaxing. There is also little temples and ruins around the place. You get to see how people live with very little technology and machinery. It maybe sad to see becuase most of them are struggling to feed thier kids and themselves. But when I met all my little cousins and nephews they were all smiling and laughing. They was soo happy and cute. They was fascinated to see my camcorder and camera. As soon as I pull it out they gathered around me and strike a pose. I talked to most of my relatives but didnt get into long conversations which i regret. I didnt know who was who, I blame my parents for their bad introducing....but I was mostly going around taking pictures of the village.

The van ride from Phnom Penh to the village in Kompong Speu was about $50. You can have the driver stay with you but u will have to feed him or you can tell him to come back to pick up up if you want to stay longer.

There are little markets around the village that will sell food and bottled water, toothbrush and toothpastes, soap and shampoo. But dont expcet any restarants and hamburgers. Expect mostly beef/chiken/pork and fish and of course rice and vegetables. I should say before you go you should contact me and I can find a relative of mine that can accomodate you. If you really want to experince the country side living. Expect to take cold/warm bathes and moto tranportation to see some sites around the villages.

I wish I can put more photos up!!!

• Hiking and Walking

• 4 more images

Mingle with the locals

by su_jen Written Aug 18, 2007

Hok took us to his hometown which is about an hour away from Siem Reap in a fishing village. It was fun meeting his extended family and his sister cooked a simple dinner for us. It was a real village with no electricity still, and full of swarming mosquitoes once the sun sets.

• 1 more image

Wat oudong at PP

by cigarettebarbie Updated Mar 26, 2007

Haven't seen anyone recommend this Wat at Phnom Penh. We paid a motodop 8USD to drive us back and forth, 2 of us on one motodop. FANTASTIC view. Not many tourists. Some part of Buddha is located here, i think it's his bone. Very pretty temple, unfortunately we iddnt manage to enter the temples

Cambodia Hotels

7 Reviews - 13 Photos
Kampong Cham Hotels
11 Reviews - 23 Photos

Instant Answers: Cambodia

Comments

Cambodia Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Cambodia off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cambodia sightseeing.
Map of Cambodia