Mindset, Phnom Penh

• Mindset
    by l_joo
  • Mannerism (or lack of)

by JohnnyDangerously Written Nov 5, 2006

Cambodian people don't seem to have any manners. This can be observed daily. Of course this excludes the service people who are paid to be polite and nice (ie, hotel staff reception desk, waitress, etc) but other than that being polite in cambodia is the last thing on their minds. Often times when I wait in line to get serviced (ie, getting food), cambodian people would just cut in like it was nothing. One good example happened yesterday. While I was waiting in line at the grocery store, I was the next one in line and waiting for the guy ahead of me to pay. Well after the guy paid, this cambodian lady just walked up and cut in front of me and placed her basket of groceries on the counter and expected that her items be scanned and so she can pay. Luckily, the cashier girl ignored her and started processing my items. The lady had the nerve to glare at the cashier lady. I tell you these people just have no sense of any manners. Just look around , you don't see many (if any) of them being nice to each other unless they are in their small group or family.
    I've been to many Asian countries in the world (thailand, vietnam, phillipines, china, HK, etc) and this by far is the most rudest place to live in. Imagine being stuck on a country full of pack of wild dogs. This is in effect cambodia.
    At least the Thai with their somewhat fake smiles are more pleasant to each other, and even the people in HK are far more nicer to interact with.

• yuet29's Profile Photo

Mindset of Cambodian

by yuet29 Written Mar 20, 2005

It is simple, earn and spend. This is the mindset of most of the cambodian.

I met a young cambodian guy working in Malaysia before. He was participating in a dam construction project. He told me working in Malaysia is very tough for him and he doesnt like his job. The reason he doesnt like his job is because- too much overtime. No time to spend the money.

Another time, in a night market I met a PRC lady selling fried rice with her husband. They hired a few cambodian. She complaint to me that her workers never want to do overtime even she pay them more. "They never save for future. They earn and spend"

This is their mindset and they live their life very happily.

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Somewhere before Phnom Penh, I...

by l_joo Written Aug 25, 2002

Somewhere before Phnom Penh, I did a quick sketch.
    Here our bus stop for 15 minutes but what I found interesting was those local Cambodian girls laughing at an Argentinian woman tourist for not wearing a bra, they also laugh at her being a single and trying to educate her to have 10 kids like them by show 10 fingers to her with all her kids.

Instant Answers: Phnom Penh