"Local life", Phnom Penh

Know about this? Rate It!

A local jackfruit vendor.
    The local market.
    by Etoile2B
    Locals shopping at the outdoor market.
  • Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Shop Like A Local

by Etoile2B Updated Sep 7, 2007

Although there are several covered markets in the city that cater to tourists and locals alike, to get a better sense of the native culture check out the outdoor street market to rub elbows, quite literally, with the locals. We only had one full day in Phnom Penh and it was the first destination of our trip so we opted not to shop like the tourists at the local markets. Instead, as we were exploring the riverfront we discovered the truly local market on one of the side streets off Sisowath Quay. As we explored, we were swept into the melee of locals bargaining for fresh produce and meats while trying to dodge motorbikes weaving through the crowds. It was a great way to experience daily life in the city firsthand. And it's also a great place to bargain for cheap, local goods and food. I highly recommend taking a walk through the crowded street market for an unique cultural experience, if nothing else. And if you're looking for a place o get away from other tourists this is definitely it. We didn't see another tourist during our excursion. On the whole the experience made me wish that I had a kitchen at my disposal so I could utilize all the wonderful goods for sale here!

Locals shopping at the outdoor market. Marc trying to fit in with the locals. A local jackfruit vendor. The local market. A sugarcane vendor.

• ZENDER's Profile Photo

Eating Spiders and Insects!

by ZENDER Written Jan 12, 2007

This is strictly an Off The Rockers activity!
    This is also a reflection of how people can survive even in the toughest of times, perhaps.
    There are insect galore at one end of the Central Market (Phsar Thmei)

Insects - A Local Delicacy from the Provinces Closer Look - Yet more insects!

• shiran_d's Profile Photo

Crossing the Meakon River

by shiran_d Written Jun 17, 2005

The Mekong River is one of the world's 10th rivers in its river length and has great influences upon nature and societies of the Indo-china Peninsula. The name "MEKONG" originate in Thai language, Mae Nam Khong.

People
    • Eco-Tourism

• extrajoce's Profile Photo

Back streets after the rain

by extrajoce Written Feb 25, 2003

Apart from the main avenues, the streets in Phnom Penh are seldom paved. They are full of potholes which fill up after the rain, giving the city a very special and old-fashioned atmosphere. They are more quiet, sombre, and even creepy at times than the noisy and crowded boulevards.

Street after the rain
    • Adventure Travel

• extrajoce's Profile Photo

Following a monk in the street

by extrajoce Written Feb 25, 2003

One of the charms of SE Asia can be foudn in Phnom Penh in the presence of Buddhist monks walking along in their bright robes. I saw one dash for lunch and followed him a minute in a narrow street. They symbolise the peaceful and respectful nature of SE Asians to me.

Monks walking along
    • Adventure Travel

• edachsund's Profile Photo

Best coffee

by edachsund Written Jan 9, 2003

After tired been hangin around the russian market, we bumped into one place that call 'The Best Coffee In Phnom Penh'
    The place just simple, to have a drink to release the tiredness after wandering around .

Guess What? I managed to captured a picture of Miss World of 2002 during her visiting in Russian Market. It's quite funny actually as I thought it was their VIP or King who visiting the place instead of 'Miss World'

but I am very lucky to get a chance shoting her picture eventhough I dont have any idea why should I do that....

Miss World 2002

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Siem Reap

by keeweechic Updated Sep 12, 2002

No trip to Cambodia is complete without visiting Angkor Wat. This whole area is awesome, no appropriate words can describe the feeling of being amongst the some 300 monuments and temples that were built between the 9th and 12th centuries only to be overtaken by jungle until the end of the 1800's.

• sunnywong's Profile Photo

Cambodian People Portrait - 2

by sunnywong Written Nov 30, 2002

It was not the first time that I witnessed a youngster shepherding an older family member who was maimed or disfigured. The bonds that hold the Cambodian family together are very strong.

• sunnywong's Profile Photo

Cambodian People Portrait - 1

by sunnywong Written Nov 30, 2002

Dignity, compassion and suffering are what I see in this old woman's eyes. She's probably endured hardships that the younger generation of Cambodians cannot even imagine.

Instant Answers: Phnom Penh