Unique Places in Phnom Penh

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Phnom Penh

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

See a different side to Phnom Penh by bike

by CEP1863 Written Oct 21, 2014

I wanted to see a different side of Phnom Penh and by sheer chance came across Grasshopper Adventures. They offer two different tours of Phnom Penh by bike and because time was limited, I chose the shorter half-day trip. I was impressed from the outset by the speedy response to my emails; the fact that I was able to pay for my trip via PayPal was an added bonus.

On the day of my trip, I was picked up promptly from my hotel and taken by tuk-tuk to their shop in the centre of the city. Upon arrival, I was greeted by my guide for the day - Vicheka - who turned out to be brilliant. I was the only person on the tour that day and unlike many places, my trip still went ahead just for me without me having to pay any ridiculous surcharges for being a single person. I was given a helmet and a briefing on the gear system and brakes on the bike. Both the helmet and the bike were in excellent condition, the company also service bikes at the shop. After a slight adjustment to the height of the bike, we were ready for the off.

Cycling through the traffic in Phnom Penh can be quite hairy but Vicheka was brilliant and soon we were heading down to the riverside to cross the Mekong to the first of the two islands we were to visit. After hopping on the ferry, it was a short journey of no more than ten minutes before we disembarked and soon we were threading our way through the locals. We stopped off to have a look around the local market which was selling fresh vegetables, fish and meat. Whilst there we grabbed an iced coffee from one of the tours and sat back watching the locals go about their daily business. Soon, we were back on our bikes threading our way through the streets. Most are unsurfaced and, as it had rained heavily the night before, many were extremely muddy which all added to the fun. Cycling down these roads was really peaceful and it was hard to imagine that just a short distance away was Phnom Penh.

We stopped off at one of the cottage industries on the island, it was a family run silk business. Vicheka was brilliant and he guided me through the whole silk mKing process from seeing the silk worms devouring the mulberry leaves through to the spinning of the silk and finally onto the actual process of the weaving where I watched the younger daughter weaving the material for someone's wedding dress. I found the whole process to be fascinating and to be able see everything from start to finish was brilliant.

We finished exploring the one island and then took another ferry across to the second island. This second island seemed to be quieter than the first and it was great to cycle past the farms growing a huge variety of foodstuffs. Everywhere we went, we were greeted by local children calling out "hello" and on the second island we were accompanied on our ride for a short distance by local children riding home from school. We caught a ferry back across to the mainland and headed back towards Phnom Penh. Vicheka gave me the option of cycling back through the traffic of Phnom Penh or getting on a tuk tuk. For me, it was no contest, I was having a great time and with such a brilliant guide, negotiating the traffic of Phnom Penh became an enjoyable part of the trip. We stopped off for a leisurely lunch before returning back to the shop, all too soon, my trip had come to an end.

This trip was everything that I had hoped it would be and one that I would recommend if you want to see a different side of this wonderful city.

Phnom Penh by bike
    • Photography

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

A market place on the road

by akkipaa Written Mar 17, 2013

On our trip from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap we had two stops and this was the first one, about two ours from PP and on National Road #6.

I taught a while if I should put this under "Warnings and Dangers section" but you know the risks if you are here.

Local specialties are different kind of bugs and I recommend to taste them but only if you see a place where take cook/fry them in your eyes. As you can see from the pictures they have a lot of stuff for sale and you never know when they have prepared them. This was our 4th day in the country, so unfortunately I passed these also, didn't find any place were they cooked em and stomach was not yet prepared to local bacteriology. Next time!

The other local specialties are small thrush size birds I think those are small chicken (photo 2)! Look very delicious but the same warning, try to find just fried ones!

There are a lot of child sellers (photo 3), selling food with faces like spaniels, so be warned. They sell fruits, drinks and peanuts with the same price: one dollar!

Toul Tom Pong Pagoda

by cal6060 Updated Jul 2, 2012

On my way back from the Killing Fields to the City, I visited Toul Tom Pong Pagoda, which was recommended by my tuck-tuck driver. Tuol Tom Pong Pagoda is on street 135 and Mao Tse Toung Street. So far, this is the most beautiful Buddhist Temple I have visited in Phnom Penh. The high-ceiling white with golden yellow roof pagoda has distinctive features in term of the Buddhist arts surrounded it. After you go in to the temple compound, the temple is still protected by a wall and four gates decorated with animals including chicken, cow, snake, and turtle. They are colorful and unique. Like the Throne Hall in Royal Palace, it has a spire topped with white four-faces heads in the center of the building, plus three placed on each gates.

Toul Tom Pong Pagoda, Phnom Penh Toul Tom Pong Pagoda, Phnom Penh Toul Tom Pong Pagoda, Phnom Penh Toul Tom Pong Pagoda, Phnom Penh Toul Tom Pong Pagoda, Phnom Penh

Toul Tom Pong Pagoda: Old Stupa

by cal6060 Written Jul 2, 2012

This is another old stupa I encountered in Phnom Penh, next to Tuol Tom Pong Pagoda. It is very unique. It has the combination between the Chinese and Cambodian design. The stupa is painted in orange with red borders on each levels. Stone lotus are decorated on each levels, and topped with the white four-faces head of Brahma. The most stunning feature of this stupa is the staircase, very beautiful shaped.

Old Stupa, Toul Tom Pong Pagoda Old Stupa, Toul Tom Pong Pagoda Old Stupa, Toul Tom Pong Pagoda Old Stupa, Toul Tom Pong Pagoda

Wat Sarawan: Old Colonial Stupa

by cal6060 Updated Jun 29, 2012

Wat Sawawan is a located on street 178, northwest of the National Museum. During my visit to the Wat, I saw a red structure look like a huge Stupa next to the Wat. This red structure are in bad condition, no one seems to care and appreciate the beauty of this structure. It does not have much Khmer art or design, you can only see some Khmer art craft on the rooftop . It has the western style windows and doors.

Old Colonial Stupa, Wat Sarawan Old Colonial Stupa, Wat Sarawan Old Colonial Stupa, Wat Sarawan Old Colonial Stupa, Wat Sarawan

• ancient_traveler's Profile Photo

TUKTUKS RIDE

by ancient_traveler Updated Mar 24, 2012

(Motorcycle trailers, ‘Tuk-tuks,’ moto-romauks) ‘Tuk-tuks’ have become quite popular in Phnom Penh. Unlike their noisy, two-stroke namesakes common to Bangkok, the Cambodian ‘tuk-tuks’ offer a quieter, more pleasant ride. Tuk-tuks for hire gather in popular tourist areas such as the riverfront and at tourist hotels. $1-$2 for short trips and $10-$15 for the whole day. Prices vary depending on the number of passengers and where you pick up the tuk-tuk. Make sure to keep your bag toward the middle of the tuk-tuk to protect against bag snatching.

• ancient_traveler's Profile Photo

MONKS

by ancient_traveler Written Mar 24, 2012

The history of Buddhism in Cambodia spans nearly two thousand years, across a number of successive kingdoms and empires. Buddhism entered Cambodia through two different streams. The earliest forms of Buddhism, along with Hindu influences, entered the Funan kingdom with Hindu merchants.

Cambodian Buddhism was instrumental in fomenting Khmer national identity and the independence movement in the 20th century, leading to Cambodian independence as a sovereign state.

In their attempt to separate the Khmer people from their cultural allegiance to the neighboring Theravada kingdom of Siam, the French "protectors" nurtured a sense of Khmer identity by emphasizing Khmer-language studies and Khmer Buddhist studies. They established Pali schools within Cambodia to keep the Cambodian monks from traveling to Siam for higher education. These Khmer-language study centers became the birthplace of Cambodian nationalism.

• Photography

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Stung Mean Chey Dump Site

by AlbuqRay Updated Apr 4, 2009

The Stung Mean Chey (SMC) dump site used to be outside the city; however, Phnom Penh now has more than one million people and has grown out past the dump site. Ironically, Phnom Penh's newest and largest mall, the Sovanna Shopping Center in the Golden City area just off Street 271, is only 1.3 km away (as the crow flies). There are a couple of videoclips too.

SMC Dump Site (PIO K-2 School left background) Road Into the Dump (PIO K-2 School on Left) View South from PIO K-2 School View East from PIO K-2 School

• Eat fried tarantulas! (Hey, who wouldn't...)

by desktoptraveller Written Sep 17, 2007

As soon as I found about Cambodia's roadside delicacies, it was top of my to-do list. I had to see this with my very own eyes...people...eating...spiders!! It took a few days, but finally I came across one of these unusual hawkers. Sitting inside my tuk tuk I could see piles of cooked insects - crickets, cicadas, even snails. And yes, spiders. The ones on the street seemed fairly small, but I was told on good authority that the bigger they are the more expensive they are.

But it was not until I went to Romdeng restaurant on street 278 that I got the chance to see this fascination up close. To my delight I found Fried Tarantulas on the menu and convinced my dear, brave friends to order it. We waited in anticipation, wondering what fried spiders might look like...squishy? diced? legs on or off?

When the waiters appeared we lept out of our seats. Three, perfectly formed tarantulas sat still on the plate. On a bed of lettuce. With dipping sauce.

What came next was tourism at its worst, as we shrieked, played and posed with the cooked critters. Only one of us was brave enough to eat it. I could hardly touch it.

Despite being a terrible tourist I was glad to experience something that only Cambodia can offer. If you're in PP, leave those boring hotel restaurants behind and try this most memorable meal.

Dinner is served

Wat Lang Ka

by richiecdisc Updated Mar 29, 2005

Situated just across the way from the Independence Monument on Sihanouk Boulevard, Wat Lang Ka has recently been renovated and the once forgotten religious compound has not only many reconstructed stupas, but also is alive with many young saffron robed monks waiting to practice their English on you. Well worth dropping in if you are checking out the neighboring Monument or on your way to or from Tuol Sleng Museum.

another quiet gem of a Wat

Wat Sampao Meas

by richiecdisc Updated Mar 29, 2005

Little visited Wat Sampao Meas is a nice place to grab some quiet time away from fellow travelers. You’re unlikely to run into many here despite it being very close to many budget accommodations. It is a splendid place to watch Khmers go about their religious rituals and the surrounding market area is an excellent place to watch local life especially late in the afternoon. Photo opportunities abound and there are lots of snacks for those prone to try local delicacies. You can find it at the end of street number 198, at the very opposite end away from the Royal Palace.

away from the crowds

Independence Monument

by richiecdisc Written Mar 29, 2005

The Independence Monument is also referred to as the Victory Monument and is dedicated to those Cambodians killed during the war though it unfortunately does not acknowledge those murdered by the Khmer Rouge. The 1958 structure adds a modern flair to what may become a more upscale area of town down the road. It’s easily found at the corner of Norodom and Sihanouk Boulevards.

worth a peak, the Independence Monument

• Christianzagar's Profile Photo

Phnom Penh Dump

by Christianzagar Written Aug 10, 2004

We spent a morning with a bunch of children who live next to the dump. They have to spend all day rummaging through the garbage to find recyclables to sell back to some Vietnamese company. We played with the children as well as fed them. I forget the name of the organization that runs the program but will post it soon as well as more infor about the place and the organizations mandate

sweet kids

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Angkor Thom

by keeweechic Written Jun 27, 2004

Angkor Thom covers a large parcel of land of approximately 9 sq kms and was the capitol of the ancient Khmer kingdom. It is surrounded by a moat which is protected by a 26ft high wall. There are 5 causeways that cross the moat to the gates.

Location : Angkor, Siem Reap

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Ta Phrom

by keeweechic Updated Jun 26, 2004

Ta Prohm is located to the east of Angkor Thom. Apart from the architectural interest, the ruins have been left just as they were when they were rediscovered. Massive Tree roots spread out like tentacles over the stonework and drape down the sides.

Location: Siem Reap

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Walkabout Hotel
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: Phnom Penh

Comments

Phnom Penh Off The Beaten Path

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Phnom Penh locals.
Map of Phnom Penh