Tuk tuk, Phnom Penh

Know about this? Rate It!

At your service!
    by akkipaa
  • Tuk tuk
    by malacka
  • Tuk tuk
    by stevemt
  • Zombie

by Varman Written Jan 5, 2014

-Everyone is like Piranha, just waiting for an opportunity to deceive you and grab your dollars.
    -Be very careful with "Tuk-Tuk" , after confirming the price, please prepare the exact amount, any extra chances for you to get back the balance is rare.
    -"Tuk-tuk" like Zombies scattered all around Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. It won't take long to terrified you (the way they approach customers is kind of scary). Never give us a chance to walk in peace to explore some places.
    -Very funny guys, they will wait for hours looking for passenger, once get a tourist then will be overly charged. If the tourist walks away then will start to reduce the price.

• Transportation from airport and in Phnom Penh

by malacka Written Dec 8, 2013

I am a young, female who travelled around Cambodia. I spend a few days in Phnom Penh. I really enjoyed having tuk tuk driver who took me around from the Royal Palace to the local post office, anywhere I needed/wanted to go. It is very safe. For half day you can have a driver for 10 USD and for a whole day for 17-20 USD.

If you want to have very reliable driver I can really recommend Sopheak who can pick you up at the airport or just drive you around the city and around. His telephone nr: (855) 012712775 (no email address).

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Use Tuktuk and see more

by akkipaa Written Mar 16, 2013

At your service!

With a tuktuk ride you can see more than with spending your time in car or bus. Phnom Penh is a large city and distances are long, but with tuktuk you reach easily your target and have shadow and breezy wind if you are eskimo like I am.

Negotiate the prices, the starting proposal can be like three times more than you should pay. You can take a driver with target or hour based and, for example, I negotiated 3$ for hour with unlimited mileage and time slot. No warranties or insurances so try to be careful (still I think I paid a little bit to much, but the driver was clever than me with the negotiations).

• stevemt's Profile Photo

An easy and cheap way to get round

by stevemt Written Mar 12, 2013

Tuk Tuk's are an easy way to get round. Also cheap.

It seems that they base themselves somewhere, (like outside a certain hotel,) and work from there.

A driver can look for you again once you have used them, which is handy if you want to book in advance, these guys are reliable.

• theguardianangel's Profile Photo

Tuk-Tuk

by theguardianangel Written Dec 17, 2012

the young boy, Mok

Tuk-tuk can get you anywhere in town with a standard rate of 2USD for short distances only. If you wish to hire the tuk-tuk for a day tour, they have tour packages posted in the vehicle and you can negotiate with the driver too. We hired Mok, the young and funny tuk-tuk driver. At first, he offered us a 20USD for half day tour- Toul Sleng, Killing fields, Royal Palace ,Independence Monument. However, we tried to make a bargain with him since it’ll only be a half day tour and 20USD is too much for us (budget travelers, that’s what we are) . Good thing is we’re able to make it at 15USD… it’s very hard to convince him at first but after quite a long negotiation, we shook hands. We were happy how Mok treated us, he’s very friendly and gave us additional information about the city so we gave him a tip for a job well done.

• Angkor Best Driver

by FirstDraft Written Sep 26, 2012

I would strongly recommend Angkor Best Driver for all your transportation needs in Cambodia. He is based in Siem Reap and is very knowledgeable about the temples at Angkor Wat, but he can also provide transportation to and from and around Phnom Penh or anywhere else in Cambodia. He can be reached at samsavat99@yahoo.com
    samsavat168@gmail.com

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Tuck-tuck

by cal6060 Updated Jun 24, 2012

Tuck-tuck, Phnom Penh

There was no bus in Phnom Penh in 2011. So, you need a tuck-tuck or motorbike to move around, especially going sub-urban of the city like:

Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
    Killing Fields of Choeung EK
    Russian Market

You can rent a tuck-tuck for a days or few hours in Phnom Penh:

Up to 12 hours - US$20

Up to 4 hours - US$15

There are motorbikes cruising around the streets in downtown. You can pay them either US$1 or US$2 to any destination within the city.

• Tuk Tuks Phnom Penh

by welltraveled1 Written Apr 4, 2012

I have been a tourist and now live in Phnom Penh. Most tourists stop in the city for 2-3 days. Tuk Tuks are a great way to see the sights and get around the city. If you want a smooth, hassle free visit in a place where you have not got the time to get to grips with all the scams and rip offs and need someone who knows the city. A good Tuk Tuk driver, who speaks English, knows the roads, is a tour guide, hotel and restaurant advisor and literally all you need to know to have a safe and good time in the city. This might sound easy, but thousands of Tuk Tuk drivers line the streets of Phnom Penh looking for opportunities, but many of them are straight from the villages have no idea of how to get around the city and you can find yourself more lost with a driver, whom you can't communicate with. When I first started working in PP I discovered Lin. He was so outstanding in his knowledge. I do not even google in PP, I just call Lin, whether is for the best pharmacies, tailors, computer/camera repair or book him for a friend who needs the full tourist treatment. Lin has now trained a team of Tuk Tuk drivers to his high customer service standards, teaches them the knowledge, English and tour guide information. If you want to have an easy time of it in PP, get Lin to pick you up from the air port or bus stop and organise what ever your needs are with him. You will get great service, honest prices, a local friend and you get to support an enterprising young man, whose passion and dedication toward customer service is quite incredible. Lin: Mobile +855 (0) 92346636..............sms him with time and flight details and he will be there to pick you up.

• Business Travel

• ancient_traveler's Profile Photo

TUKTUKS

by ancient_traveler Updated Mar 24, 2012

In Phnom Penh, moto-romauks ('tuk-tuks') and cyclos (bicycle rickshaws) offer somewhat safer (though not as safe as a car) alternative to mototaxis.

The Cambodian ‘tuk-tuks’ offer a quieter, more pleasant ride. Tuk-tuks for hire gather in popular tourist areas such as the riverfront and at tourist hotels. $1-$2 for short trips and $10-$15 for the whole day. Prices vary depending on the number of passengers and where you pick up the tuk-tuk. Make sure to keep your bag toward the middle of the tuk-tuk to protect against bag snatching.

• planxty's Profile Photo

You will get fed up.

by planxty Updated Jul 8, 2011

Tuk tuk, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Before I start this tip, I would like to say that I don't want any mails or comments from self-righteous people telling me I should appreciate the local customs etc. - I do. The standard modes of transport in Phnom Penh are the tuk-tuk, ubiquitous throughout Southeast Asia, and the motodop. The latter is effectively anyone with a scooter that will transport you round the place for a relatively small amount. There are tuk-tuks and motodops literally everywhere and they are so easy to find. This is where my opening line comes in.

From the minute you leave your hotel in the morning until you return at night you will be constantly assailed by drivers shouting at you, slowing up beside you, sounding their horn at you, waving at you to attract custom. Yes, I know it is a small thing and it really should not irritate me as much as it does. I always try to be polite, but the three or four hundredth (literally) repitition of "No, thank you" really gets on my nerves. For those of you that are going to play the "adopt the local customs" card, I would suggest that I never see a driver shouting at a local person. If a local wants a driver they approach the driver, it is only the traveller that is hassled this way.

Actually, I usually walk everywhere anyway but if you do need to get around, especially to a less frequented area at night, both options are safe, relatively inexpensive and, as discussed, frequent to the point of unavoidability.

A word of warning though, agree the price before you start. I have heard some horror stories of drunk travellers being ripped off for a fortune. As a general rule, at time of writing in early 2010 no journey round the centre should be more than a couple of $US although the price rises slightly at night.

• Motorcycle

• kelnsha's Profile Photo

Phnom Penh's remorque-moto or tuk tuk

by kelnsha Updated Apr 4, 2011

Our hired tuk-tuk (USD10)

These motorbikes and carriages have hit Phnom Penh in the past few years and are here to stay.

They come in every shapes and sizes from China, India, Thailand and there are home-grown ones from Siem Reap, Cambodia.

We got one for USD10 for about 6 hours. He brought us from Phnom Penh to the killing fields, S-21, Independence monument, Russian market and Royal Palace.

• Good Tuk Tuk Driver! Speaks good english!

by alohacsy Updated Dec 8, 2010

We saw this Tuk Tuk (TT) Driver on our way to the Sorya Mall by foot. To our surprise, he speaks good English and his price is quite reasonable. We actually did some survey on other Tuk Tuks around our hotel area and they tried to charge us with ridiculous prices. He is kind to inform us not to place our bags unattended inside the TT. As it is quite common here in Phnom Penh that snacth thieves often grab items inside the TT. Name any street name, and he will bring you there without any problem!!

Name of TT Driver: Mr Terry
    No. 016-647 864 ; 012-828 945

• Motorcycle

• chicabonita's Profile Photo

Very kind and friendly tuk-tuk driver

by chicabonita Updated Aug 13, 2009

When we arrived in Phnom Penh by boat already a lot of taxi and tuk tuk driver were waiting for us. Mr. Lim was very friendly and gave us the time we needed to get kind of sorted before we were ready to move on.

With him we arranged our sightseeing tour for the next day. He picked us up at our hotel in time and drove us to the sights we wanted to see. Price was very fair. On the way to the killing fields before we leaft the city he stopped to buy these breathing protections for us. Very kind and caring of him, as it is very dusty and dirty. In the evening my shirt had changed color from white to kind of beige ...

Apart from his hotel recommendation he was a great choice

• mitexi's Profile Photo

Vuthy - an awesome tuk tuk driver

by mitexi Written Oct 17, 2008

Finding transportation around the city of Phnom Penh can definitely be a hassle. Some tuk tuk drivers take one look at you and try to charge ridiculous amounts. My friend and I will have been in Phnom Penh for about a month and a half and we were so lucky to have found our tuk tuk driver Vuthy. He is a 19 year old boy who is trying to make a good living for himself with support from his father, an older experienced tuk tuk driver. Vuthy is learning to speak english, he is very easy to understand in person but it can be difficult to talk on the phone, just to caution you. That is where the beauty of text messaging can be helpful. Vuthy takes care of you if you take care of him. He is very reasonably priced and doesn't demand a certain amount like other drivers do. He frequently looks in his rear view mirror to make sure that you don't have your camera or purse out in reach of others who might want to snatch it. He also can go with you to the market or anywhere else where you might get ripped off to help you and tell you that is way over priced, etc. He is usually a phone call away and if he takes you to the riverside to eat, for example, he will be awaiting you when you are finished. Once you get here and experience all the tuk tuk/motorbike drivers hasseling you, you will understand. If you do decide to go with Vuthy, tell him that Maria and Mitexi (Me-tah-hay) from America recommended him. His tuk tuk has yellow and blue seats and is very nice.

• lalikes's Profile Photo

Best way to get around

by lalikes Written Oct 5, 2008

Our driver. He was wonderful.

You are right out there with the wind blowing in your hair, somewhat fresh air and you in the thick of things. Our driver picked us up at the bus station- first time meeting him but for $25 a day, he showed us around, took us to get a drink and to and from the Killing Fields. Most enjoyable man.

Instant Answers: Phnom Penh