Safety Tips in Phnom Penh

• FAMILY TRANSPORT IN THE HEAVY CITY TRAFFIC
    FAMILY TRANSPORT IN THE HEAVY CITY...
  • TWO MONKS HAVING A REST IN THE HEAT OF DAY
    TWO MONKS HAVING A REST IN THE HEAT OF...
    by DennyP
    STREET SCENE AND BUS STOP..

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Phnom Penh

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Wanting more money

by balhannah Updated Jul 19, 2013

Hired a cyclo driver for a short trip, the cost $1. When I paid, he saw I had more in my purse, so it went up to $2, then he wanted more, which he didn't get.

TRY NOT TO LET THEM SEE WHAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR WALLET OR PURSE!

• bestisland's Profile Photo

LONG LING = ACCOMODATION SCAM

by bestisland Written Jul 8, 2012

HELLO DEAR TRAVELLER ,PLEASE IN PNHOM PHEN DON'T GET THE " LONG LING SCAM "WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN ACCOMODATION. USUALLY ALL THE GUEST HOUSES ARE WERY GOOD BUT YOU KNOW...THERE IS ALWAYS SOME HASTARD.
    BAD STAFF AND BAD ACCOMODATION WITH KREZY OLD MAMASAN.DANGEROUS!!!
    AVOID ALL WITH NAME (LONG LING).!!!

• Adventure Travel

• Invitation for a home visit..gambling scam..beware

by cruisingbear Written Sep 17, 2011

I met two friendly Fillopino looking girls who spoke good english and invited me home to meet their sister who will soon be travelling to my country...can I please give her some advice..I hesitated but obliged...was recieved in a very friendly manner...offered a Coke ( luckily in the can) and invited to a meal...the traditional Cambodia custom...had a bit to eat...then met their uncle who proceeded to tell me about his job in the casino on the cruise boats and offered to teach me the tricks of the trade...I declined and when he told his wife to get the tables ready I just said I need to leave now...no sign of the sister...related this incident to the hotel manager who told me I was a subject to a scam...thank God I followed my instincts!

• Casino and Gambling

• DennyP's Profile Photo

ALWAYS CARRY PLENTY OF FRESH WATER

by DennyP Written Sep 27, 2010

Due to extreme heat and humidity here in Cambodia it is necessary to always carry plenty of fresh drinking water as it is surprising just how much your body loses in the heat of the day..I always got my water when travelling at super markets and kept it in the hotel refrigerator and then it was always on hand when heading out early in the day...

• Photography

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Adventure Travel - Crossing the Street

by AlbuqRay Updated Apr 9, 2009

Crossing the street in Phnom Penh is an adventure every time you do it. There are so many cars, motorcycles and bicycles to dodge. It is especially fun to do when the street is two lanes on each side, i.e., twice as wide. Of course, hardly anyone pays attention to the lanes. You just have to time it after one vehicle and before the next one, and hope that everyone sees/dodges you if you must stop in the middle. I did not drive but turning left in Phnom Penh is almost as much fun as crossing the street.

• Hiking and Walking

Beggar's

by Cathy&Gary Written Mar 21, 2009

Begging is very common throughout Cambodia, especially in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

Many of them are children.

Think twice before you give them money as you will then be helping them to depend on this way of living. Many of them work for gangs or are made to beg by their family, a lot beg to support their glue sniffing habits - especially in the market areas.

Its far better to buy them a drink or something to eat!!

Violence

by Cathy&Gary Written Mar 21, 2009

Violence against tourists is pretty rare, however if you are in a crowded nightclub or bar, just be alert.

If you do happen to get into an argument with a young rich Khmer, just back off, many of them carry guns so its just not worth standing your ground and arguing.

• krx99's Profile Photo

Blackjack Scam!

by krx99 Written Nov 15, 2008

Last night I was real scared in a dark house with very unpleasent people. Because tunderstorm it was blackout(no electricity).
    Any way story goes like this: very short version. You meet a local and after short talk he tell you that his sister will soon fly to your country for work. He ask some advice and of course we western people are ready to help!!! Next step is to be asked to their home to have a dinner and talk with his sister. Of course I go. I want to help and meet new local people.
    I went but now sister... but some casino men tellig you everything how to make easy money. Yes I never think money comes easy. But I still waited sister. Next step they teach to play Poker and win without risk. Next phone ring and some singapore man call and wanted his member card to casino. After a while he come with huge money along. It was still heavy rain so they desired to play poker. Casino man gave me 500 $ for play. I said I do not want to play but ... few rounds and I won 10000 $ and still two more game they insist. But then I stood up and asked to stop and leave. I told my friends are waiting.
    I went out but door to street was closed and I could not jump over. Wall was 5 meter tall and ironspikes.

I was very scared. Lesson learned. Never ever trust anybody!!! Do not try to help people you do not know. Do not tell you name, mobilephone where you stay ie.

This scam is not only in Campodia but all over Asia. Google Blackjack Scam to know more.

• Tedsocoa's Profile Photo

Crossing the streets

by Tedsocoa Updated Apr 2, 2008

Traffic is on the right. But there are some thousands of motobikes passing in front of you. When you want to cross a busy street, the best is to wait some minutes untill there is a "hole" in the endless stream of traffic.
    So, when this appears.......LOOK to your RIGHT hand, because at this same moment, some motobikes want to cross the same street, and they are bursting full speed in the same "hole" of traffic to join the overside traffic where you are jumping in. Their problem is not your feet, but also to joint the otherside of the street traffic.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• Tedsocoa's Profile Photo

Back to the Airport of Phnom Penh

by Tedsocoa Written Mar 28, 2008

Just a reminder for you whenever you have to take an airplane from the airport of Phnom Penh early in the morning on a working day.
    On a Monday morning I had to catch my plane at about 9.15 AM so I took a taxi rather early at 7h.15 AM, thinking that the distance from citycenter to airport is not to far, about 7 km.
    The only thing is, that at the time there are about 3 million motobikes who want to drive inside the citycenter plus of course all cars, trucks, busses etc.
    And in spite of the fact that they all drive inside the city and my taxi outside to the airport, the whole traffic was completely blocked, so we were stopped for about 1 hour, driving at 1km/hr.
    Finally I just had my plane, but by a narrow escape!
    So, take a large reserve in time.

• Mel&Mike's Profile Photo

Beggars - all shapes and sizes

by Mel&Mike Written Oct 29, 2006

The beggars here are intense. One of the unusual ones we encountered were fake monks who roam the Royal Palace. They are robed like real ones and I have no idea how you tell the difference - go with your instincts I guess. What they do is they follow you around and then ask you if you'd like picture of them as well as donate to their school. The biggest problem is that there are real monks there that are great to talk to and are quite friendly who also ask for donations if you have initiated a conversation with them.
    Either way, real or otherwise they could probably use a couple of bucks.

Bags, Cameras etc

by Cathy&Gary Updated Sep 25, 2006

Always be aware of your handbag, backpacks, cameras, mobile phones etc.

Especially if you are travelling in a cyclo, hold on to your belongings tightly, wrap your handbag strap a couple of times around your wrist.

If a bike pulls up alongside you with 2 guys on it, chances are the passenger is checking out what you have he can easily grab.

We met a lady who on her first day in Phnom Penh who was warned about this but obviously took no notice. Her bag was snatched, she had over $1,000. her camera, documents etc in it.

DONT CARRY large amounts of money with you.

This warning applys really to wherever you are, I take care with all my belongings whether I am overseas or at home as it can happen anywhere.

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuks

by Tina-Perth Updated Aug 20, 2006

There are several warnings with regard to tuk tuks. We used a tuk tuk one day and paid $3.00 to get to the Royal Palace (I know it was more than it should have been). The driver took us a slightly different route on the way back to the hotel then charged us $5.00. It was only a short drive and certainly only worth the same as the trip there. It's not much money, but it's the feeling of being ripped off that I hate. It was our constant companion in Cambodia.

The very bumpy, pothole-filled roads would make for a very uncomfortable ride. It's ok on city streets, but if you head out to somewhere like the Killing Fields, the roads are atrocious. I would not take one out there, a car is better and safer.

Cambodia is a great dust-bowl. As you drive along the dirt roads, at times there is so much dust that you can barely see the vehicle in front of you. If you have sensitive eyes, make sure you have eyedrops at hand.

Thick plumes of black exhaust also cloud the view if you're driving near a heavy vehicle. If you get affected by fumes such as these or the clouds of dust in dry season, it could be advisable to take a dust mask with you.

Another warning about the tuk tuks is to be careful of your belongings. Young boys will run up and snatch whatever they can reach - including camera or bag straps.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Bodily functions in public

by thedouglas Written Jun 9, 2006

I saw more than one example of people "relieving" themselves in fairly public places in PP - eg. piddling into a bush just outside the national museum, behind a tree along the river - and , horror! almost got hosed by a little kid inside the Russian Market, who had found a "space" in the tiles, where I just happened to pause awhile. We were quite happy in our hotel in PP, but this pic is of a little boy, who belonged to one of the staff, lining up outside the main entrance of the hotel - and peeing on the footpath.

Just hard to know what to do sometimes - poker face, and walk on etc. Between this, waitresses licking spoons before reentry to my drink etc. and picking their nose, I was in a constant potential state of mortification when I put anything to my lips!

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Beggar children at the killing fields

by thedouglas Written Apr 23, 2006

These were pesky little ones, who had pretty fair English for what they wanted to say! Give us US$1 and we will leave you alone. One of the girls with us fell for that, and all she did was increase her magnetic attraction to the max! The children were congregating in groups around the graves, handling bone relics etc., and offering photographs etc. for money.

There was a large group of boys swimming in a small dam, and having seen a swarm around the gullible tourist, came racing out of the water, completely naked to get in on the action!

Even when we went into the gift shop, they were there behind bars, asking for money.

One girl heard me addressing my husband by name on the way in, and she lay in wait for "Peter" to return, calling him by name and asking for money! Survival of the most persistent!

Phnom Penh Hotels

Latest: Mar 15, 2014
Walkabout Hotel
Latest: Mar 28, 2014

Instant Answers: Phnom Penh

Comments

Phnom Penh Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Phnom Penh locals.
Map of Phnom Penh