Safety Tips in Cambodia

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Cambodia

• davidjo's Profile Photo

POIPET

by davidjo Written May 21, 2012

If crossing the border at Poipet make sure that you arrive in plenty time to continue your journey as it is the worst place in Cambodia to get stuck in. It is full of casinos and whores, mainly catering for the Thais. avoid this border town if you can.

• Hotel Rooms

by ashley23 Written Apr 2, 2012

I would suggest that you avoid hotels in Cambodia if possible. A number of most peculiar coincidences in Hotel rooms in Cambodia caused me to suspect that my privacy was being grossly abused along the lines of spy cameras or other covert surveillance in my room.

When I made enquiries at the Phnom Penh Municipal Police - Office of Central Security, the man who received my enquiry seemed to me most evasive, was very unhelpful, and refused to even tell me his name.

Not sure whether the Cambodians are following some of the precedents set by their Khmer Rouge forbears or whether they are taking their cues from some of the more satanically deceitful cur bullies that exert influence in western society but I suggest that you don't go to Cambodia at all.

TAKE CARE AFTER DARK IF ALONE

by DennyP Updated Dec 30, 2011

CAMBODIA
    Cambodia has a reputation as being dangerous at night. This I beleive is the case especially in the capital city of Phnom Penh. The daytime is fine ,but still be aware with your valuables, drive by motorbike bag snatches happen as do pickpocket activities. Many locals will advise you about the dangers and especially of being out alone after dark. Of course being in crowded areas like bars full of western travellers might seem fine but if you have been consuming lots of "cheap" alcohol be careful.!!.Women especially walking alone at night attract unwanted attention to themselves. This can be a heavy place at night.
    The warning signs are there !!! Get a taxi.!! especially if you are intoxicated .Don't bother with a "moto" (tuk tuk) as some drivers will take you to an isolated place and demand a large payment for your return trip. This is a known scam. As you won't know where you are !!.They will "rip you off" if they see that you are intoxicated and if you are a female ,maybe even worse.
    Take and heed locals advice.

• Beer Tasting

BE AWARE OF PICKPOCKETS AND BAG SNATCHES

by DennyP Updated Dec 30, 2011

CAMBODIA
    Like most big cities of the world crime against tourists is big buisiness. The big cities of Asia are really known for their "drive by bag snatches" and different forms of robbery.The streets are crammed with thousands of small motorcycles and are a thiefs dream. Having your wallet or purse stolen by a pick pocket is a real likelehood of happening..I know!!...its happened to me ,and of course I didn't know till well after it happened. A friend I travelled with had his shoulder bag unzipped and valuables removed..and he didn't know!!. A friend I was waiting for got out of her taxi , put her bag down..and it was gone in a second..all her money and documents. Being "ripped off" really upsets your plans...
    .REMEMBER These people are good at what they do!...they do it for a living.
    Be very careful when in crowded areas : Railway and bus stations are a favourite with thieves.
    Market places, crowded bars and restaurants.
    Never put your bag down without some form of restraint.
    Carry your bag in front ofyou NOT behind
    Always carry your bag around your neck NOT over your shoulder.
    Be very aware when hugging a "friendly" stranger.!!!
    Do not keep all your money in one place.. have a form of money belt hidden away.

• Beer Tasting
    • Trains

ALWAYS HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE HERE

by DennyP Written Dec 14, 2011

CAMBODIA
    When travelling here in Cambodia..Like everywhere else. Make sure that you have Travel Insurance to guarantee your safety in case of an unforseen accident. Ambulances in lots of SE Asia are few and far between and really are not the places to have extended stays in Hospital.
    Make sure that before you set out on your travels that the Travel Insurance coverage that you take out is the right coverage for your needs. Accidents happen anywhere and anytime.Mother nature also can play a hand in upsetting your travels also with a flood, Earthquake or any unlikely event she can think of. I always include a repatriation clause with my Insurance in case of unforseen dire events happening.. as they say..
    DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT !!!

USE A STRONG SUNSCREEN 30 + EVERYDAY

by DennyP Written Dec 13, 2011

CAMBODIA
    Wherever I travelled in Cambodia the sun was fieircley hot and the heat really oppresive. It is imperative to make sure that you carry and use a strong sunscreen with you. I always have a small tube of at least 30+ and make sure that I cover my nose and the tops of my ears. and the backs of your hands. These are the two most prominent areas of skin cancer. The best advice also is to wear a hat and sunglasses. While walking around the huge areas of Angkor Wat found myself sometimes to really feel the heat and I used so much water due to fluid loss..just be aware of dehydration. it was just so hot!!! I beleive Burma is the only other place where it was hotter.
    A couple of other items that I carry with me in my day bag are:
    A small tube of moisturiser
    A tube of lip balm
    A small packet of wet wipes ..mainly for the heat but also to wipe small injuries.
    A small packet of tissues...just in case the roll is empty..!!

• National/State Park
    • Archeology

ALWAYS CARRY A RELIABLE MOSQUITO REPELLANT

by DennyP Written Dec 13, 2011

CAMBODIA
    I found that travelling in South East Asia anywhere I ALWAYS carried and used a reliable Mosquitoe and Insect Repellant. Mainly due to the heat and the humidity here in the tropics it is imperative to use a Mosquito Repellant everyday..Malaria and Dengue fever are prevelant and can be fatal.I always covered up with long sleeves and long pants but the main thing is to apply a repellant on any exposed skin.. Dont worry about the smell everyone around you should smell the same ....if they are smart..

ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED WATER

by DennyP Written Nov 9, 2011

Whenever I am travelling in and around South East Asia I am never without sufficient fresh Bottled water.
    As these tropical climates produce such extremely hot and humid days it is imperative when out exploring usually as so much walking/hiking is involved it is just so important to replace lost fluids. Dehydration can come upon you quickly without sufficient water. I ALWAYS make sure that I have enough with me at ALL times..
    Be very careful when purchasing bottled water , and make sure that the seal on the bottle cap is unbroken and is NOT a refill...I have been caught out this way much to my misfortune.

• Archeology

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Floods in Siem Reap Sept/Oct 2011

by cochinjew Written Oct 24, 2011

Cambodia is not affected as much as Thailand but Siem Reap had been flooded and the central area was under water. google or youtube for more photos and videos.
    Just yesterday my brother wrote to me to say that he is thinking of closing his hotel temporarily because of lack of business. Another friend wrote to say she couldnt get to work because of the floods and her house was under water.
    Keep that in mind before you go to Siem Reap. I am not sure of the situation elsewhere in the country.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Pt with Type 1 traveling through South East Asia

by cochinjew Written Oct 5, 2011

Terry, I am quite aware of the situation with diabetes in VN, Cambodia. Both at HCMC PPH SRP you can get supplies but in Cambodia they are limited. Type 1 Diabetes as you may well be aware of, is not very common in those countries whereas Type 2 is more common. There are lots of good people doing voluntary and NGO work in these countries trying to make the lives of the people with Diabetes much better (Mo Po Tsyo for instance in Cambdodia). there are English speaking doctors in both HCMC and PPH to my knowledge who will help you if you need any help. Take the same precautions as you would in London.
    Try not to get dehydrated since you may not be used to that kind of heat or humidity.
    Pay special attention to Street Food. Excellent food available at reasonable prices in restaurants.
    Medications for minor emergencies like diarrhoea are freely available in the pharmacies. Avoid Chinese made medications.
    Good Luck and if you have any specific questions, you can emall me and enjoy your visit.

• petert51's Profile Photo

Fake Immigration Official

by petert51 Written May 10, 2011

We arranged to take a taxi from Bangkok to Siem Reap to see the countryside instead of flying and confirmed with the driver, who was the Director of a Travel Agency near our hotel that he would guideus through the border and our Cambodian driver would be waiting. He was a pleasant enough guy and we had an uneventful drive to the border. But once there we were hurried out of the taxi and introduced to an official looking guy and a Cambodian guide who would show us to the Cambodian taxi. The Thai driver then just disappeared. The official claimed to be from the Thai immigration office and looked the part but wanted money for the visas into Cambodia. We had been told that there was too rates a higher one and a lower one. When we said we wanted the lower rate he claimed that one would take three days to get. Smelling a rat, we grabbedour bags and started walking towards were we thought the border was. After a few load comments from us that he was a conman he too disappeared leaving us heading towards what we thought was the border. We went through the Thai office without payinganything and got our Cambodian visa at the normal cost plus 100 baht ( as the handwriting sign on the wall said). The Cambodian guide explaned that as he had been on Thai soil he could not have said anything to us earlier. He did a good job taking us to a bus tom go away from the border a little and then introduced us to out next taxi driver. The drive to SieM Reap was smooth and pleasant and the taxi driver excellent. He also helped us find a hotel to out likeing.

It may be an old con that we should have known about but to help anyone else contemplating going on their own - just ignore the con when it comes and go to the office direct.

• Rodan44's Profile Photo

UXO (Unexploded Ordnance)

by Rodan44 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Since WWII, Cambodia has been consumed by decades of brutal war, resulting in the loss of millions of lives and extensive damage to the economy and basic infrastructure. Despite over a decade of relative peace, Cambodian people continue to be killed and maimed daily as a result of the countless number of unexploded ordance, or UXO, that remain scattered across the country. As a result, amputees are disturbingly common here.

UXO can take many forms, such as bombs, cluster bomblets, artillery and mortar shells, landmines, rockets, grenades, etc. Although there is no way to accurately measure the total number of UXO still remaining in Cambodia, it is undoubtedly in the millions. Between 1970 and 1975 alone over half a million tons of air-to-ground bombs are known to have been dropped on Cambodia.

Various government and international agencies are working diligently to clear UXO from Cambodia, but it is a slow and hazardous process. The impact of UXO both in humanitarian and development terms, is a significant constraining factor on a country struggling to overcome poverty.

Note: Cities and popular tourist sites, such as the temples of Angkor, do not pose a hazard from UXO as long as you stay on well-worn roads and paths. Do not wander into uncleared countryside or open fields!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

This could save your life

by sourbugger Updated Apr 4, 2011

I love my running, and whilst in Siam Reap (for Angkor wat) I wanted to run off into the fields for my daily 40 minute jog.

I was very clearly told that if you venture more than a couple of feet off a tarmaced / gravelled / marked path the landmines could be lurking.

I know that the problem is still massive because in June 05 the Falkland islanders in a very altruistic move suggested that Britain moved it's mine-clearance resources to Cambodia because they would save more lives there than in the Falklands. Good for them.

• aukjejetty's Profile Photo

Landmines

by aukjejetty Updated Apr 4, 2011

Land mines and unexploded ordnance can be found in rural areas throughout Cambodia, but especially in Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Pursat, Siem Reap, and Kampong Thom provinces.

At no time should you walk in forested areas or in dry rice paddies without a local guide. Areas around small bridges on secondary roads are particularly dangerous.

If you observe anything that resembles a mine or unexploded ordnance you should not touch it, notify the Cambodia Mine Action Center at telephone 023-368-841/981-083 or 084.

The drawing on the left is made by a kid from Thailand, it can be viewed with more drawings by clicking on the link below.

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

Land Mines

by JessieLang Updated Mar 5, 2011

In the early 90s, Cambodia still had about 10 million land mines buried in the country (which was more than the country’s total population.) It is down to an estimated 2 million now, due to the efforts of foundations run by Princess Diana, Queen Noor and Aki Ra, but it’s still dangerous. There were 600 land mine casualties last year.

Crews continue to search for the mines. German shepherds can detect the plastic ones without setting them off, and metal detectors can find the other ones. Then they have to dig them up and defuse them. It is highly paid work, but very dangerous.

Cambodia Hotels

Kampong Cham Hotels
11 Reviews - 23 Photos

Instant Answers: Cambodia

• Sep 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM

These posts are too offensive and over reacting! Plus, Some post is not even true. I don't know if it's your intentional or non. But, i would suggest that you should use more of understanding of differences of places in the world.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Sep 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

You may not have realised that all all VT tips are written by individual members, either locals or visitors. So it is inevitable that there will be a range of opinions which reflect individual experiences....and there are certainly no grounds for stating that those experiences are 'not true'.

Cambodia Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Cambodia warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cambodia sightseeing.
Map of Cambodia