Wangfujing Street, Beijing

Know about this? Rate It!

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Lively and Interesting time

by blueskyjohn Updated Oct 13, 2013

Wangfujing is also referred to as the "walking street." At night it is very lively with many tourist and locals. The road is blocked off to traffic and the streets are lined with high end designer stores.

It is fun to watch the goings on of the night. Locals dancing some traditional dances as a group for exercise, food vendors and music. Select tourist may be targeted for "conversations" which I will discuss in a warning tip. Fun to mess with them a little if you know what the story is. Just do not go anywhere with someone you don't know. Fairly obvious advice. Definitely a fun time to people watch and enjoy the shops.

Dress Code: Casual

• Wangfujing Street: Theives / Ripoff/ Mafia

by amirv110 Updated Apr 25, 2011

Be careful.... Two hot girls and a guy approached me saying they want to learn English and be friends.... they seemed very nice and very educated.... they take me to a bar in the area and they took all my cash (200usd) and attempted to charge ~3500usd to my credit cards... The name of the bar was KTV.... It was a karaoke bar...

I know for sure that they had teamed up with the bar's owner to bring rich foreigners and rip them off....

They had poored cheap wine into Bordeaux bottles and they kept trying to force feed it to me.... They may have even drugged me too because i wasn't feeling well...

Be very carefull when meeting new people... They may be part of a mob or just a bunch of scam artists....

• arashtmr's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: becarefull about girls at nights

by arashtmr Written Mar 11, 2011
    wangfujing street

be carefull about girls in wangfujing street

we went to beijing 2 month ago and took a hotel near wangfujing street
    at nights shops closed at 9 pm, 3 girls talked to us in english and they said they want to learn more english language and wants to beside us to go to cafee or drink something, we accepetd and they took us to a bar near wangfujing (ktv bar) after one hour we drinked little and they want to pay money ourselfs, they closed the firstfloor door and wants we pay 2000 yuan for 5 bear in one hour??!!!!
    also after we struggled too much we paid 500 yuan and they open the door , very bad night
    every nights after the shops closed 2 or 3 girls together close to foreigns travelers and want to speak and learn more english language and go to a bar!!!
    be carefull and don't go with them especially at nights in wangfujing street

• Green_Frog's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Shopping

by Green_Frog Written Jul 26, 2010

The markets were a lot of fun here and we found this extremely talented young man who made doll replicas of yourself for only 180rmbs. Nikki had to have one - she'd seen these artist at Behai Park and they were selling them for 300rmbs so she had a doll made.

She had to pose for approximately an hour whilst this young man moulded, carved, sculpted this doll to resemble her - it was really amazing and the crowd we drew was incredible - at one stage we would've had over 100 people surrounding us!!! Frightening.

• Green_Frog's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Eating out

by Green_Frog Written Jul 26, 2010

We passed on the above delicacies!!!

And decided on the Peking Duck which was delicious - served with pancakes, a peanut-e sauce, shallots and cucumber - they slice the duck up on a plate and you assemble it yourself in the pancakes. My daughter, Nikki, had to place a napkin over the duck's head before proceeding to eat her meal she couldn't handle eating it whilst it was staring at her LOL!!

We also ordered some fried rice. It was a great meal - 124rmbs for food and beers.

We'd finished our meal when a waiter brought this huge dish of soup to our table - we told him we'd finished and hadn't ordered soup - coz to us Westerners soup would've been served as an entree - right? He took the huge dish and went to the waitresses who pointed back to us - again we told him we didn't order this dish - all 4 girls came over and the one who spoke English the best (amongst a lot of giggles) explained that once the duck is killed/gutted etc and cooked and served - the remains are made into soup - OH GREAT!!!!!

I think the other diners (all Chinese) were horrified that we would return this delicious broth!!

• sanluipal's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Tents with strange food

by sanluipal Written Jul 24, 2010

At night we went to a street, that in day has a number of flagship stores, but at night it sells everything to eat in coloured tents. Was crowded as if today was Sunday. We eat normal food, such as shrimp, meat and vegetables, but there is a much wider range. Here you can eat a kebab scorpions, snake, beetle or seahorses... We have to go there once to see it.

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Wangfujing

by HispanicYob Written Apr 8, 2010

Wangfujing

This is more for the people watcher and avid souvenir shopper. Wangfujing is a place that I remember hearing about before I set foot in Beijing and I wanted to try and stop here. I was glad that I accomplished, and right before I left China. Wangfujing is a district that I would consider the Times Square of Beijing. You'll find Western restaurants like McDonalds and fashion stores. But the site that's not to be missed in this area is the market that's tucked away in a little alleyway. Look for a paifang It's a busy area around evening and you'll have to push and prod your away along. The Chinese seem to shove through crowds quite a lot so adopt their tactics. Be careful though, if you look like a Westerner, guaranteed you'll be hassled by vendors selling everything from dragon statues to a Mao watch. It's also here you can find odd things like scorpions on a stick and battery-operated T-Shirts that light up.

Dress Code: If it's early spring, dress warm! It's freezing in Beijing this time of year!

• tuff's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Sin Dong Yeng Night Market

by tuff Written Jan 23, 2008

“Sin Dong Yeng” night market, this section sells the same stuff as the food area in Wangfujing except these are all street vendors, smoke aroma filled the street with BBQ lamb, chicken, pork, squire, crickets etc…

• ntm2322's Profile Photo

Wangfujing: One of the city's best bustling spots

by ntm2322 Updated Nov 24, 2007

Bought at

As to me the 700-year-old Wangfujing street is not the most interesting street in Beijing but it is probably the most famous and busiest.

Because of its easy access to the major roads, high land prices and high density of retail and service business and the high degree of population flow, Wangfujing is now considered the city’s central business disctrict .

I don’t like it too much now, its modernazition leading up to high-rocket prices and hundred-years old small typical spots giving place to world renowed brand names.

Everything you buy is relatively more expensive than in the rest of the city. Even the food in this area is also more expensive. No wonder why Wangfujing street is reputed by locals as a "golden street".

What attracts me in Wangfujing is definitely not its night food street, the snacks here just make me cry (for the tourists, however, the snacks must be kind of delicacies), what attracts me, I was saying, it is the Xinhua Bookstore and the Beijing Foreign Languages Bookstore, nice places to spend all day, reading, reading and reading.

As to eating in Wangfujing I only like the “Gou bu li” restaurant that sells some of the best steamed buns in town (check it NOW).

Another thing I like about Wangfujing is that you can freely walk around because much of the road is off-limits to cars and other motor vehicles

Wangfujing is located in the Dongcheng District of Beijing. The street has an extention of 1,150 meters, from Wangfujing Nankou to Dengshi Xikou.

Wangfujing is served by Line 1 of the Beijing subway (at the southern end of the street). Line 1 is an important subway line for you because is the only one that runs through the centre of Beijing (it runs from Pingguoyuan (west) to Sihui East (East), through beneath the extended Chang’an Avenue and the commercial areas of Xidan, Wangfujing and Dongdan. It also has two stations in both sides of Tiananmen).

• violett's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street(also named "the gold street"): go shopping and eating!

by violett Updated Aug 28, 2007

It's name comes from an old well on the street, you can also see it by yourself.
    There are many old famous chinese shops and restaurants, such as: Tongshenghe (traditional comfortable shoes), Ruifuxiang(traditional comfortable shoes), Donglaishun (hot pot with sheep or beef), Quanjude (beijing roast duck), Cuihualou (restaurant,very delicious), and many shopping centers. In each shopping center, you can find many traditional foods and snacks from the whole china! And they are very cheap!
    Nearby is a big night market, where u can see many street vendors with their traditional snacks. BUT they are not so clean, I think, so just take some pics, DON'T TRY THEM!!!
    You can also buy very traditional gifts or cloths such as Qipao (for women, about 30€) and Magua (for men, no idea how much).
    Actually you can buy everything there! It takes u at least 5 hours.

A restaurant nearby named "Hongkong Meishi City" is one of my favorite. There are delicious fresh seafoods and desserts and soups. Many fishes and crabs are swimming in the huge Aquarium, u can watch them and choose the loveliest one....to eat :P
    Address: Dongcheng District Donganmenda Street 18,beijing

• Chip_Master's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Night time eats

by Chip_Master Written Jul 6, 2007

No visit is complete without visiting the night market and the exotic eats. Until you see it you can't believe it; scropions, millepedes, starfish, grasshoppers and beatles are for sale for the daring!

• Susanna1975's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street Food Markets: Food Markets

by Susanna1975 Written Apr 5, 2007

Beijing street food markets were quite clean compared for example to Shanghai's. I did eat meat sticks, corn and sugared strawberries and did enjoy all of them. If you want to be braver, you can try worms, crickets or scorpions - all were sold here! One good thing was that the prices were written down so you did not need to bargain here.

Dress Code: No dress code - just blend in with the locals.

• JBourne's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Safe and exciting place to go at night

by JBourne Written Oct 21, 2006

Cathedral

Even in April when it was cold this area was busy with tourists and shopping. Shops were open past 9pm and there were plenty of restaurants to choose from.

There were a couple of malls, one which we visited a few times, called the Dong Am Plaza, which had clothes shops, restaurants and a great Italian icecream shop at the bottom.

There is a heavy western influence on this area however a totally different feel to walking about in an English city. We did feel safe and there were plenty of taxis around to take us home.

• Study Abroad

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Bustling Night Market

by chewy3326 Written Nov 27, 2005

I believe it's called the Donganmen Night Market, but anyway, this is a great place to be in the evening. The night market is just off of Wangfujing St, near the Xindongan Mall. Here you can buy Mongolian barbecued lamb, sweet rolls, drinks, and much more. Even if you don't buy anything, it's interesting to just be here and watch.

• MylesD's Profile Photo

Wangfujing Street: Wangfujing and surrounding area

by MylesD Written Nov 28, 2004

Great place to just sit and watch ppl walk by. Great restaurants and shopping, too. Just around the corner from there is my favorite "Food street" in the world: Donghuamen Street. Anything you could ever imagine...fried on a stick. GREAT food. A bit pricey for tourists tho...

Dress Code: Anything except flashy clothes WILL attract stares...no wait, that's anywhere in China.

Instant Answers: Beijing