Beijing What to Pack

Snowed over night then?
    by rabbit06

Most Recent What to Pack in Beijing

• paulwf's Profile Photo

Pack something warm if not traveling during summer

by paulwf Written Jul 18, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good comfortable walking shoes are required in Beijing especially in large places like the Forbidden Palace.I visited Beijing in April. It was still a bit cool and windy and they had some sand storms. It starts getting much warmer in May I believe. When traveling to the Great Wall or the Summer Palace I suggest you pack some warm clothes as it can be cold and windy.

Photo Equipment: The main reason to visit Beijing is for the historic landmarks so a decent camera is essential.

• Susanna1975's Profile Photo

Memory Cards are Fake Ones if They Are Cheap

by Susanna1975 Written Apr 5, 2007

Luggage and bags: an extra, empty bag to be filled with all the clothes you buy from Beijing

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: good shoes, especially if you go to Great Wall of China - there is lot of walking

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: prepare yourself with toilet paper and intimate wipes as there is not always toilet paper in public toilets and only hole in the ground as loo

Photo Equipment: big memory card - there are sooo many photo opportunities

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• JBourne's Profile Photo

Antiseptic cream and sundries

by JBourne Written Nov 19, 2006

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: You can't drink the water in Beijing and I found when I cut my finger, it became mildly infected and wouldn't heal for ages after washing it in the water. I was a little worried about it too as it was throbbing for days and very painful for such a small cut. Annoying when such a small problem would not have been an issue back home.
    I would recommend that visitors take their own little medical kit including an antiseptic cream.

Miscellaneous: Most good hotels supply plug adapters for electrical goods. The adapter that we'd brought from home which specified 'for use in China' didn't work in Beijing or Hong Kong. The one that was in the hotel room worked perfectly with my hair tongs and mobile phone/camera charger. I'd check that your appliances work at a range of inputs or the lower voltage might affect them. Most chargers will work without problem.

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

Packing for the Great Wall of China

by Restless-in-kl Written Oct 22, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: You will be visiting military fortifications that are built mainly along high, steep and exposed mountain ridges. You will need light, loose fitting, comfortable clothing that is waterproof, wind-resisting and air permeable. In autumn and winter, warm sweaters and gloves are recommended. Gloves should not be too thick as you will need to use your hands when climbing particularly steep sections of the route. Finally, footwear should be comfortable walking shoes or boots with soles that have a good grip. Avoid setting out with new and untried footwear so as to prevent discomfort and blisters.

Miscellaneous: You should carry half a litre of water for each hour you intend to walk. Alkaline drinks may be substituted for part of your water ration. Do not take alcoholic drinks. A camera, films, a pocket flashlight, packed food and a garbage bag are other basics

• sorcieus's Profile Photo

Don't leave the hotel without your toilet paper!

by sorcieus Written Oct 6, 2006

The Chineseman

Luggage and bags: Bring one lugage and pack light. You can buy everything else (clothing and extra luggage/bag) in China.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: comfortable walking shoes.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Toilet paper, sanitary wipes,

Photo Equipment: at least 1 GB memory card (if you are taking picture in JPEG, or bigger if in RAW), wide angle lens, portable HD to keep pictures so you can clear your memory card(s), Zoom lens to take pictures of the people.

Miscellaneous: Bottle water.

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Evian Mineral Water Atomiser

by Tina-Perth Updated Aug 31, 2006

Freshen up

Miscellaneous: I take a can of Evian spray with me every time I fly, sometimes I find the air on the planes to be so dry that my throat and nostrils begin to burn and my skin and hair dries out. I just spray the Evian into the air and onto my face for instant relief. It also comes in handy for cooling down when you're out and about in a hot climate. It was very hot whilst climbing the Great Wall, but a spray of Evian was very refreshing.

The small, light and inexpensive can fits into any bag easily. A travel must-have.

• Business Travel

• ghweeh's Profile Photo

A MUST have!

by ghweeh Updated Jun 30, 2006

Our personal guide

Luggage and bags: more than some luggages or bags...

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: or clothing or shoes or weather gear...

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: or toiletries and medical supplies...

Photo Equipment: or photo equipment...

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: or camping/beach/outdoor gear...

Miscellaneous: but...a cheerie guide to bring some smile to an icy day! :-)

• sfaye_hart's Profile Photo

Leave space in your luggage

by sfaye_hart Written Jun 5, 2006

Luggage and bags: Remember to leave lots of extra space in your luggage. If you plan to go shopping, I assure you, by the time you go home, that space will be filled! Trust me, that happened to me!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: This really depends on when you go. I went during summertime and it was pretty sunny 3 out of the 5 days I was there. For shoes, just wear whatever is comfortable for you, as walking around places like the gigantic Forbidden City can be pretty tiring...

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring hand sanitizers, just in case. And tissue! I was surprised to find that even though some of the restaurants were really nice, their bathroom is still a hole in the ground! And in this department store, even if they had western toilets, the seat was filthy because the locals were probably used to squatting.

Photo Equipment: Bring rolls of extra film/ a memory card! For the memory card, I almost ran out of space with my 256mb! So, bring extras, especially if you're an avid photographer- there are a million things to photograph!

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

It's cold

by mccrorj Written May 31, 2006

Frozen moat beijing city imagine the wind chill.

Luggage and bags: If your going in the winter up to mid March prepare for the cold. I'm a big chap, well insulated the more polite would say, I'm also from Western Scotland and thought I knew about the cold. When I got out of beijing airport I was wearing almost ecerything I had brought it was bitter. Worst thing I hadn't brought a chap stick for my lips and within 24hours my mouth was cracked and sore.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Heavy coat, fleece, hat, scarf and gloves

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Something to protect your lips from the cold

Photo Equipment: Yes and plenty of film or memory as there is loads to see

Miscellaneous: Check with residents as to when they expect the winter weather to pass. I left at the end of March and was strating to notice quite a dramatic increase in temps.

• Disabilities
    • Seniors

• rafscab's Profile Photo

Going to The Great Wall in April

by rafscab Written Apr 13, 2006

Cold weather in april

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We went to China in early/mid april and it was really cold. See the white thing in the attached picture, that's snow! . So take warm clothes, comfortable shoes, a wind jacket and a comfortable light backpack.

Photo Equipment: Empty your memory cards before heading to the Great Wall, you can take hundreds of pictures in a couple of hours. Every landscape is amazing.

• Castles and Palaces

• texastew's Profile Photo

Bundle Up

by texastew Written Mar 7, 2006

Luggage and bags: Bring a "disposable" back-pack. I carry a mesh pack that folds up to the size of about 5"x7" and fits into a pocket. In it I carry a snack, small bottle of water, soft drink, and umbrella. Once the drinks & snacks have been consumed & containers properly disposed, I fold it up & stash in a pocket or use it to carry souveniers I purchase.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Invest in a good pair of hiking boots that are waterproof. . They will pay for themselves the first time you climb all those uneven stairs or walk along stone/marble floors. Your feet stay warm & dry as well as supported. You'll thank yourself many times over Remember to take bandanas, hats & gloves depending on destination.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Carry a roll of biodegradable Toilet Paper. It's small in size, but lasts weeks. Also carry along a bottle of Motrin or IB Prophin; either one elliminates all sorts of aches & pains one encounters during travel.

Photo Equipment: Avoid trying to find film or batteries by carrying a disposable camera. I carry one as a backup to my digital. If I want a photo of myself in front of a monument or historical place, I don't think twice about asking someone to take my photo. Thus protecting my more expensive digital camera from theft.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Take along a plastic poncho to protect clothing from unexpected showers. Umbrellas tend to lose their waterproofness after 30 or 45 mn in a downpour. A plastic ponco with hood will shield one from head to mid-thigh.

Miscellaneous: I usually print out some business cards with a destination photo on one side, and my personal info on the other. This helps the recipient remember where & why they got the card. I also take a sheet of address labels along in my guide book. I use them for postcards, or to swap addresses with fellow travels met along the way.

• Archeology
    • Architecture

• texastew's Profile Photo

Chopsticks Are Not Just For Eating

by texastew Written Feb 23, 2006

Luggage and bags: Travel pro & tote; black
    Globus bag
    money belt

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Long sleeve shirts and T shirts, fleece vest, fleece jacket, down coat, gloves, scarf & mittens, caps, swetaer jacket, long johns & fleece top; 2 short sleeve T-shirts, socks & liners, hiking boots, dress boots, under garments

Photo Equipment: Camera & bag; Flash cards; Recharger & cables; AA & AAA Batteries; Voice Recorder

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Umbrella, Poncho, Overcoat, Boots

Miscellaneous: Guide books, passport & ID's, wallet, monetbelt, tickets, tour docs, addresses, notebook, pens, pencils, hi-lighters, marker, bungee cords, locks & keys, whistle,

• Luxury Travel

• dimanche's Profile Photo

beat the freeze!

by dimanche Written Feb 4, 2006

see the frozen lake...? :P

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Remember to bring thick coats, jackets, sweaters if you're going in the winter! For someone who came from a country which has tropical climate....the cold was most of the time hard to take! Just a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the train station was enough to numb my lower part of my face...jaw and chin and all.....ugh.

Photo Equipment: Best bring one that can work under whatever temperature to take in the best of the place! :)

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Take a hike!

by yellowbell Written Nov 23, 2005

Sandals

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I was dwarfed with all the things to see in Beijing. The cool autumn weather helped me walked many square meters, miles, hectares. Whatever measurement of distance you use, suffice it to say, that I'm glad I have good walking shoes now that I've come back to China.

I almost went shoeless on the train going to Shenzhen (2000) because my sandals can't take the brunt of the heavy rains. Also, I almost didn't appreciate the ruins of St. Paul's Church, Macau (2004). Rubber bands come in handy to serve as straps for my broken sandals.

• jeanie95tt's Profile Photo

Moist Towelettes are you friend

by jeanie95tt Updated Sep 19, 2005

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring some moist towlettes (the kind you get in barbeque and hot wings restaurants, example brand - Wet Ones) since there is not always soap available in public restrooms. They also make good face/skin wipes. You can also bring some hand sanitizer (example brand - Purell). Don't forget toilet paper when you go out! Also, bring some insect spray to keep the bugs off.

Instant Answers: Beijing

Comments

Beijing What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Beijing what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Beijing sightseeing.