Mexican Wave, Beijing

3.5 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

Guanghua Road 6506-3961

• Mexican Wave, Beijing, China: A very real surprise in Beijing. Excellent.

by Mickutopia Written Oct 29, 2011

While enjoying an extended stay in the city, I discovered The Mexican Wave in the center of the city. I speak the local language and was not especially inclined to visit the more "westernized" city center but I am very glad that I did. Being vegetarian and American, Mexican-style food is typically a major part of my diet (beans, rice, hot stuff). Inside, it doesn't feel like one is in China. The atmosphere is cozy and comfortable. At the time, the restaurant manager, Georgia (from Indiana) greeted me and we sat and conversed while I indulged in one of the few city locations where tortillas, beans, cheese and hot peppers come together. Was it like a Mex. cafe in Santa Fe or Phoenix? Of course not. But, it's not far off-track. Nachos, enchiladas, burritos and cerveza...YUM!
    I made more than a few trips (by taxi) to this unexpected hot spot. I heartily recommend it.

Favorite Dish: Can't say exactly. I recall that the hot sauce wasn't quite as hot as I prefer so I ordered peppers on the side. I can say that I did not have any dish that I did not enjoy.

• Kisu's Profile Photo

Mexican Wave: Beijing Mexican Wave...

by Kisu Updated Aug 1, 2007

Beijing Mexican Wave Restaurant
    This isn't chinese restaurant but still one of the best restaurants in Beijing!! Nice terrace which is otherwise hard to find in Beijing....you can meet happy people from all over the world here...

Favorite Dish: If you feel you've had enough chinese food, try this place...excellent chicken filled with cheese, served with tomato sause and creamy potatoes, many kinds of tortillas etc..also dishes from Europe

• Mexican Wave: A Mexican Oasis

by alaskamaximus Written May 13, 2004

I admit it's nothing special but when you arrive in Beijing from bum-fruck China with a massive Taco craving, hey it works. That's all I have to say about it. At least for those who are transportationally challenged, it's in the city unlike the other Mexican restaurant out by the airport.

Favorite Dish: So they don't have a clue what salsa is - the chips and dip came with diced tomatoes and that's it.

• Mexican Wave: Mexican-ish

by mke1963 Written Feb 3, 2004

The Mexican Wave is one of those 'establishments'. Everyone knows where it is, no-one admits going there. It's always "just out of fashion", just the wrong side of cool or hip.
    The Mexican Wave is brightly painted and has cacti - but so does every other Mexican restaurant on the planet. It serves margueritas. Ditto. Quesadillas, fajitas, tacos. Yada yada yada.

I don't know why but I didn't really come away thinking "I want to go back". You get a decent filling meal, at a good price, nice music, friendly service, and they didn't complain too much when my daughter set fire to the table.

But....aaaaarggghhh..I just can't put my finger on why it didn't hit the food G-spot!

Want Mexican? The Mexican Wave is fine. But it is missing "something" and I have no idea what that something is!!

Favorite Dish: No favourite, but it was nice to see cider on a menu!

Instant Answers: Beijing