Paulaner Bräuerei, Beijing

We at Paulaner Bräuerei
    by ahoerner
  • Paulaner Bräuerei: Tourist Trap

by Pappajoes Updated Jul 22, 2007

This is a perfect example of a tourist trap. I dont know how it was before but I've just been after reading these reviews and I have to say the place is shockingly expensive for absoloutly nothing. People forget this is Beijing, so when someone charges you Y38 for a can of coke when you can buy it at the 7-11 for Y2, the words daylight and robbery come to mind.

The food was substandard, I ordered a meat platter which contained basically a few pieces of pork, pork crackers, 1 small wiener and something that looked an tasted like SPAM from a can. Wow!

I aslo ordered a salad, and what can I say, 2 pieces of feta, 3 olives, some lettuce (iceberg) and sloppy chopped cucumber was what they called a greek salad.

Beer, errr, 1 type of beer.....whoopdie do! Having lived in Munich, this is as far removed from German as you can get, I'd say this is more Ukranian or some cold war Eastern european type resturant, with bad service, bad food, awful beer and a large bill to boot. 1 person, eating mediocre, came to Y400. This was included 2 softdrinks 1 beer and a compulsory 15% service charge that I doubt goes to the waitress.

Avoid at all costs, this was money well wasted and I probably would have had more fun eating at the local McDonalds, now thats saying a lot.

Favorite Dish: You have to be kidding me... what favourite dish!

• zhang.delong's Profile Photo

Paulaner Bräuerei: No Big Deal!!

by zhang.delong Written Jan 1, 2007

I have been here three times, two to take out of towners.

The last time we were there, the service was terrible. They were totally unorganized and the food was so-so. It was not up to German standards. It is expensive and really not worth it when there are so many other great restaurants in Beijing.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Paulaner Bräuerei: German Food and Beer

by nepalgoods Updated Feb 25, 2006

Certainly there is no need to eat at a German Restaurant in Beijing, as there is so much wonderful Chinese food to discover in Beijing!

But when my friend Gaby visited me in Beijing in 1993, she prefered to eat at the Paulaner. So this pic shows us enjoying the German Beer - freshly brewed in Beijing.

As I now found out, there is a German Beergarden at the Great Wall at Badaling. I put it under "Warnings"

Gaby and me at the Paulaner in Beijing
    • Luxury Travel
    • Beer Tasting
    • Business Travel

• Paulaner Bräuerei: Paulaner Bräuerei

by mke1963 Written Nov 13, 2004

Much of the You Yi Yan Sha (Lufthansa Centre) is influenced by Germany, with a German bakery, a deli stocked with German food (from where many of the Paulaner's ingredients come), so it is no surprise that there is a German restaurant here.
    It's also a bar, but mainy in the summer, as the indoors is set up really as a brauhaus restaurant. It's especially popular with Americans for some reason who can usually find some German ancesor to justify saying "I'm German really". Yes of course you are. LIke I'm Hungarian because I went there on holiday once.

Favorite Dish: The food is plentiful...oh yes indeed!....but can be a bit (or a lot) heavy. Lots of sausage and big cuts of meat.
    The home brew beer is served in big glasses and is also heavy. It also proves that not all German beer is good; invariably friends and visitors say that Tsingtao is better than the Paulaner's blood-curdling slosh. Still, it makes a change..like when it hails.

Not a bad place, but (other than visitors who have seen it from the Kempinski corridor) nobody says "Let's go to the Paulaner" to be honest.

• ahoerner's Profile Photo

Paulaner Bräuerei: German atmosphere

by ahoerner Written Jul 30, 2004

Nice place with a german atmosphere where you can get a good beer and some german specialities...

Favorite Dish: German sausages, Kartofelsalat with a Weißbier....

We at Paulaner Br��uerei