Quan Ju De (Peking Duck), Beijing

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 51 Reviews

Quanjude (Original Outlet)
    by Jeanling
  • Quan Ju De (Peking Duck)
    by Jeanling
  • Quan Ju De (Peking Duck)
  • clairegeordio's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Lovely food!

by clairegeordio Written Jan 10, 2007

The restaurant that we went to was in Wangfujing. Make sure you get there before 8.30pm though as I believe that this was the last time that they would allow customers in by.
    We had duck (of course!) which was carved at our table, and battered fish in sweet and sour sauce. I would definitely recommend a visit here. It is supposed to serve the best duck in Beijing. I would say it is more expensive here than eating in a 'normal' restaurant in Beijing, but the prices were by no means more than I would be used to paying in the UK.

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): 'Quanjude Kaoya Dian' restaurant

by sunshine9689 Updated Jan 2, 2007

Entrance. 2006

The place was alright, I did not like the service though: slow, our waiter seemed to be elsewhere.

We bought Pekin duck for two, couple beers and a juice. There were not much meat really. I can imagine two big men would probably have to order one duck each.

BILL: payed total of 224 RMB ($28), 10% service charge was included. A bit overpriced but then again what one can expect from a touristy place like that. :-)

Favorite Dish: I have never tried Pekin duck before and enjoyed it very much. My hubby however said he tasted it better (in Hawaii). Oh well.

• zhang.delong's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): The Best!!!

by zhang.delong Written Jan 1, 2007

I have eaten here many times. It is always the first place I go when I arrive back in Beijing. Of course it is greasy!!! It is DUCK!!!

Quite simply the best Beijing Duck I have ever eaten!! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. It is full of history and culture. Enjoy the experience!! Relax!!!

If you are not into oily Chinese food, there is a MacDonald's just down the street. Now there is some great, healthy food!!

Favorite Dish: The Duck, of course!!!

• stiab3's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): you've got to try the duck!

by stiab3 Written Oct 29, 2006

They seem to specialise in duck. You can have anything do with duck here . . . duck gizzards, duck liver, duck's feet.

This is a huge restuarant with more than one floor of dining.

Favorite Dish: You can't go wrong with the Peking Duck. They even show you they correct way to eat it with the pancakes and sauce etc.

• maria_hz's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Duck any way you want it

by maria_hz Written Aug 14, 2006

THE place

This is maybe one of the most famous chains of restaurants in Beijing to eat Beijing Roast Duck, but some may well classify this place a tourist trap. At any rate, when in Beijing, you have to try Beijing Duck and this place I liked. I enjoyed dining at an establishment that is a concept and that was established in 1864. (Not many of those around in my home country.) The food was delicious but of course a bit pricier than regular places. The staff was well-trained and spoke a little English. We had a fab times both times I've been.

There is another one at Qianmen Dajie, but this one is less crowded and being a party of 4 coming around 7 pm we had no problem getting a table.

Favorite Dish: Well, you don't come here for the noodels, do you? Go ahead, order a duck, watch the cook slice it, fill up those little cakes with sauce and onions and enjoyyyyyy! Then taste the roast duck soup that will be made of the bones. No bones about it, the soup really tastes of duck! Serious risk of overeating... I did!

• Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Most over hyped place in China

by deiulay Updated Jun 26, 2006

My 3rd day in Beijing, after having tried foods from Mcdonalds to small dirty restaurants to street foods this was the only place that gave me the runs. When I told them I only wanted to try their duck, the servers tried to get me to leave and go to the quick dining room in the front of the restaurant. when I said I didn't mind the 15% fee (hour long line for smaller dining room off the street) spent 20 minutes tryng to get me to order more. One whole duck is enough for 2. When the duck came out it looked like a very good duck, but as I rolled it into the pancakes, I had to wring the grease out of them before I ate it. If I ever have the urge for duck again I'll stick to Duck Changs in Annandale, VA.

Favorite Dish: the tea

• Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Beware Pickpockets!

by wihac Written Jun 8, 2006

Outside the main Quanjude restaurant are a series of photos of 'famous' folks eating at the restaurant.

Beware of pickpockets whilst you stand there and look at the photos. They often work in pairs, or small teams of three. Even if you catch one of them, the 'security' staff of Quanjude standing less than 10m away are unlikely to get off their stools to help you.

Favorite Dish: Beijing Kaoya

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Legendary Peking Duck

by Ramonq Updated May 6, 2006

This is where heads of states go to have their world famous Peking Duck whenever they visit Beijing. Given the personal nod of approval by former Communist party legend, Chou En Lai and Chaiman Mao. The service is precise and impeccable. Hence, a 10 percent service charge is appled to your bill.

Favorite Dish: Peking Duck , of course! Apparently, the reason why this restaurant is hailed as the best place to have Peking Duck in the whole of China, is because of the strict quality control on the ducks that they use. They have to meet weight requirements. In fact the ducks are force-fed with special grains to attain robustness. The duck is also roasted using special firewood made from a cherry or apple tree. The sauce is also delicious.

• Applelyn's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): I finally found out

by Applelyn Updated Mar 25, 2006

I tried it in 1993...Now it is still there!! It was the first time I tried Pekking duck. I like the wrap(made of rice) with crispy skin(with fats), sauce and chives. All I remembered was the long queue and me salivating infront of the roasting ducks and of course, the crispy duck.

Favorite Dish: The skin of the duck and the rice wrap. The duck's skin is very crispy and the fats give a moist feel.

• cheezecake_deli's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Famous Peking duck chain

by cheezecake_deli Written Mar 23, 2006

Peking duck galore!

Quanjude is a chain of restaurants specialising in Peking duck, with branches in several Chinese cities. I went to the Qianmen branch, which was okay, though the experience was a bit like McPeking duck: plastic cultlery and swift no-nonsense service.

Favorite Dish: Peking duck, of course.

• tiffybear's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Peking Duck

by tiffybear Written Mar 5, 2006

Peking Duck

There is a fancy restaurant and a casual Peking Duck restaurant. Personally, eventhough everyone says don"t miss the Peking Duck, I was not a big fan. Maybe it is just because duck is really fatty and gives me indigestion. It was the most expensive meal I ate in China (even at the casual place) for about $10, and it was my least favorite. But it was crowded with locals who really seemed to enjoy it - so maybe you will (especially if you like duck).

• Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): More than just Peking Duck...

by tan1415 Updated Mar 1, 2006

QuanJude is the number 1 Peking Duck restaurantchain in Beijing. Pretty famous.
    They serve MORE than just a Peking Duck..when you look at the menu they truly serve everything from the duck. From it's feet to it's tongues and everything in between.A true speciality restaurant.

Also remember there's a lot of branches of Quan Jude restaurant and I must say there's some quality difference. The WangFuJing restaurant looks great and really posh, but it was not the best.
    The second time I ate at the original/oldest Quanjude restaurant. And the food this time was much better. Also the crowd here is a bit different...more locals and less tourists and people on business lunches.
    Better atmosphere and better food.

Another remark I must make..teh peking duk in Beijing is different than elsewhere. COmpared to most other places the duck here is much fattier.
    Most people that complain about the duck..complains about it being to fatty.And after they visit HK they ALWAYS prefer the leaner ducks they serve In HK.

Even though it's understandable that the leaner versions served elsewhere in the world is the more wellknown and prefered dish. I say you can't miss out on Quan Jude...let's face it the version of PEKING duck served at BEIJING must be the original version in all it's fattiness glory.

Favorite Dish: I love the peking duck.
    Even though trying the side dishes of the more specific meats could be interesting.

• Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): You ain't eaten Peking Duck till you had it here!

by Silver_elf Written Feb 13, 2006

Nice clean and bright restaurant settings. This is a chain of restaurants, so it can be found all over Beijing. The Peking Duck is fleshy and succulent.

This restaurant also has a history of over 100 years.

The best I've had so far.

Favorite Dish: Peking Duck.

Fleshy, succulent. The wrap for the duck is excellent too.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Qianmen Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Peking duck is a delicacy not to be missed

by aukahkay Written Feb 4, 2006

Front entrance of Quanjude Restaurant

No visit to Beijing is complete without tasting the famous Peking duck. The Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant, established in 1864, is the most famous of the many restaurants serving Peking duck. There are many Quanjude Restaurants in Beijing but you should go to the branch at Qianmen which is just a short walk from Tiananmen Square. The restaurant has kept the traditional method of roasting duck: the duck is hung on a pole over a wood fire until the skin turns golden brown and crisp. The duck skin is sliced and wrapped with green onion and sweet sauce in a flatbread which somewhat resembles a pita bread.
    This restaurant counts many dignitaries as its guests amongst whom was former Prime Minister of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew.

Favorite Dish: Peking duck of course! The crispiness of the duck is the hallmark of a good Peking duck.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Try another duck

by chewy3326 Written Nov 25, 2005

Beijing Roast Duck

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Peking Roast Duck. But after getting very hyped up about Quan Jude's "famous" duck, it was a pretty big disappointment. It wasn't that the duck was horrible, but it didn't live up to its reputation. Plus, it was way too greasy. There are roast duck restaurants in Gaithersburg, MD that make better roast duck than they do. Also, the lines for this restaurants are immensely long; we waited an hour to get seated. It's also run over by tour groups. So sometimes, the best Peking duck isn't in Beijing.

Favorite Dish: The Peking Roast Duck wasn't too good, but it was still OK (I guess.) It's very simple: roast duck, green onion (or chives) and I think some type of oyster-related sauce wrapped in a wrap. Normally it's one of the greatest foods on earth, but Quan Jude's version isn't.

Instant Answers: Beijing