Quan Ju De (Peking Duck), Beijing

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 51 Reviews

• beaverk's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Duck! Duck! Duck!

by beaverk Written Mar 1, 2005

This is the place for Beijing Duck. The service is not so good, or rather, typically old school Chinese. Lots of people waiting to be seated everyday, but the duck is great. The side dishes are so so. Price is decent. But it is a must go and it is one of the oldest duck restaurant in Beijing.

Favorite Dish: Pay a little extra to choose your own duck if you like.

• vickss's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Gluttons heaven

by vickss Written Feb 20, 2005
    I am all ready to get the hell out of the duck

Well, I thought will add another page on this place as its description would have been partial.
    This un has three branches from what i hear of which atleast two are close to Tianenmen Square. I visited the one at Qianmen which is closest to Tiananmen.
    Just to explain what is this great duck all about..
    Quan Ju De, ducks are immersed in spices etc etc which are unique to the restaurant and are then roasted directly over flames stoked by fruit-tree wood. The roasted duck is date-red, shining with oil, but with a crisp skin and tender meat.
    From what I understood in my broken Mandarin, the Qianmen unit has two divisions. One is the fast food section
    (where I ate) and the other un is more formal.. which table clothes and small round tables. So probably I didn't actually get to eat where Castro and the rest of the gang munched on a poor duck!

• vickss's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Castro and Bush had eaten at this place:So did I !

by vickss Updated Feb 20, 2005

Quan Ju De behind me

The place is very close to Tiananmen Square which means not difficult to locate. Though it is very crowded most of the time.. The decor is traditional and would seem out of a 60-70s Kung Fu movie with wooden benches and large tables which can be shared between patrons. There is no backrest so sit straight. There are few foreigners in here and infact the waiteress was at pains explaining to me that it is a Chinese restaurant -- probably never having seen an Indian before. The menu is only in Chinese so you need to know that Peking duck is called Peking Kao Ya in Chinese and thats what you need to say to the waiteress. She might show you other items on the menu but I ignored them to be safe. I kept wondering where exactly did Castro, George Bush, Yanni and Helmut Kohl(amongst others) would have sat when they visited the place..

Favorite Dish: Peking duck served here is delectable to say the least.
    What they serve you is shredded(actually small pieces of roasted duck-- which mind you is breeded specially for the restuarant). This will be served with 5-6 pieces of flattened rice cake..in India it would be called roti made of rice.
    They also served something in a glass with a white colour which again I ignored..
    Along with the stuff you will be served a small packet of paste.. looks like some kinda sauce..
    Hesistantly I tried it.. and it was cool with the duck.
    Last but not the least you have a set of chopsticks..
    Its not too difficult to learn though I took some time..
    You need to pick pieces of roasted duck dip it in the saucelike substance and place it in the middle of the rice cake and then fold it up and munch on.. Absolute bliss..

• urban4est's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): A Must in Beijing

by urban4est Written Dec 13, 2004
    Quanjude

Quanjude has several locations to serve the famous Peking Roast Duck. The location in the photo was, according to a sign at the restaurant, selected by Chou En Lai. It is a multi story clean and bustling restaurant. The meal is served with flare. Like Lawry's Roast Beef (try it if you are in L.A. sometime), the chef brings the Duck to your table on a carving cart and slices it for you. Truthfully the Duck was as good as many I have had. The meal at Yuanweizhai in Shenyang was better and had a wider menu with cozy ambiance.

Favorite Dish: Peking Duck of course. I had to try it on my first trip to Beijing

• chatterley's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Peking Duck

by chatterley Written Dec 11, 2004

I've dined at this restaurant twice....and really, their roast duck is GOOD! However, I hear that prices have gone up quite a bit!

Although this restaurant is said to be the best, I've also tried other smaller restaurants' versions, and they were quite good too (and a lot cheaper)!

Favorite Dish: Peking Duck!!!

• honestjohn's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant

by honestjohn Updated Aug 11, 2004

in front of the restaurant

The Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant, established in 1864, is nationally famous for its roast duck, reputed to be China's No.1 delicacy.
    Ever since its establishment, the restaurant has kept the traditional method of roasting duck: the duck is hung on a pole over a wood fire until the skin turns golden brown and crisp. Customers can enjoy the special taste of Quanjude duck by covering the slices with sweet paste and green-onion shreds on a soft flatbread.
    The Qianmen Quanjude Restaurant also offers duck-shaped pastries and a variety of tempting dishes featuring different parts of the duck, including abalone and duck breast with chili sauce, eel with duck breast in casserole, and stewed mullet egg with duck tongue.
    A spacious relaxed setting and superb service will add to your pleasant dining experience at the restaurant.

I'm mouthwatering when writing the above:)

• jane307's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): You must try this traditional food - Peking Duck

by jane307 Written Jun 1, 2004

Peiking Roast Duck

Founded in 1864, famous, authentic and delicious. Best eating time is spring, fall and winter especially the fall.

Favorite Dish: Peiking Roast Duck: I loooooove it. roll duck flake, sweet sauce and piece of shallot in a cake like a lotus leaf.
    Duck's Sole with Mustard: First, tear; second, love it.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Beijing Duck Restaurant: The Ultimate Meal!!!

by herzog63 Written Sep 24, 2003

Acrobats

I met a Swedish guy named Kimmo and we talked about eating a Beijing Duck. He had heard about a great place with great food that was cheap and he knew where it was! Great! I'm ready to splurge on a meal!!
    We made our way to the place. I was surprised to see small line of people that hadn't made it inside yet! Wow! this place must be popular! So we stood in line for about 10 minutes and finally made it inside. There was a family that spotted us and they wanted us to join them. So we took them up on their offer which was great! We got to interact with some locals and we didn't have to wait any longer to eat! We squeezed into the table and joined them...They didn't speak much English but there were smiles all around!! We didn't know what we wanted exactly as we neither of us had every had one of these big multi-course meals before. So we looked at what our hosts where eating as they had already been served. As we had become instant celebrities (being the only foreigners in the restaurant). We got up and walked around to see what others were eating too! Well, After having all this fun we decided what to order. 1/2 Roast Duck, Soup, some sort of bread chapati type things, other vegetables dishes and some stuff that I don't know what it was! But everything we ate was so DELICOUS!!! We also had a 3 of the Big bottles of Zhaoqing Pijiu beer each.

Favorite Dish: The Duck was so moist and it just melted in our mouths!! We were so full when we left. This entire meal for both of us cost only 28 RMB (US$5.32). I still dream about this meal from time to time!!
    I don't have a photo of the meal...wish I did! But I'm sharing a photo from the Beijing Acrobat show that I went to.

• Business Travel

• shivan's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): A unique experience

by shivan Written Sep 4, 2003

This is among the most classical restaurants in Beijing

Its most famous course is the Roast Peking Duck.

They serve every part of the duck and when I say every part I say every part.
    Everything has been great, apart from the feet. Yes, I said the feet. It is terrible eating cartilages...

So, avoid cartilages and have a wonderful dinner!

• kittyzhaojin's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De: U wanna try Beijing Roasted Duck? :)

by kittyzhaojin Written Apr 11, 2003

It is definitely the MUST-TRY delicious food. But Note:firstly you might try little if your stomach is too vulnerable to oily duck.
    secondly ,Make sure that you are in the right Classical restaurant (QuanJuDe) which specialized in high quality Beijing Duck for one hundred years, not to try the thousands of fake and mediocre ones. They totally ruined the wonderful taste with a price only slightly cheaper than the classical restaurant.

• Study Abroad

• sunnywong's Profile Photo

Beijing Roast Duck Dinner

by sunnywong Written Dec 10, 2002

Peking Duck has the reputation of being the most delicious food Beijing has to offer. Eating Peking Duck is seen to be one of the two things you are absolutely supposed to do while in Beijing. The other one is climbing the Great Wall.

The ducks are raised for the sole purpose of making the food. Force-fed, they are kept in cages which restrain them from moving about, so as to fatten them up and make the meat comparably tender. Peking Roasted Duck is processed in several steps: first the ducks are rubbed with spices, salt and sugar, and then kept hung in the air for some time. Then the ducks are roasted in an oven, or hung over the fire till they become brown with rich grease perspiring outside and have a nice odor.

Peking Duck is always served in well-cut slices. The whole duck must be sliced into 120 pieces and every piece has to be perfect with the complete layers of the meat. Normally there are many dishes served with the duck, including a dish of fine-cut shallot bars, a dish of cucumber bars and finally a dish of paste-like soy of fermented wheat flour. Without these the dainty duck is surely in the shade.

The place that offers the best Peking Duck is the Quan Ju De Restaurant, which has outlets at Qianmen, Hepingmen and Wangfujing. It was established 130 years ago.

• whataboutbob's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De - Beijing Duck...

by whataboutbob Written Sep 8, 2002

Quan Ju De - Beijing Duck Restaurant
    You must try Beijing Duck when in Beijing, and what better place than this. You can order complete fixed menu meals utilizing every bit of the duck, or pick and chose your dishes, which is what we did. Whatever you have, the main course will be the roast duck, expertly carved tableside.

• ycwong's Profile Photo

We always enjoy exploring the...

by ycwong Written Aug 26, 2002

We always enjoy exploring the various cuisine when we travel. The Peking Duck ('kao ya' in Mandarin)is a must-try at

Quan Ju De Roast Duck Restaurant at east side Tiananmen Square, 14 Qianmen Xidajie. The chefs actually carve the duck at your table!

We were in Wangfujing Shopping District and stumbled upon a very lively food street at the corner of Beijing Hotel. Tried the mutton kebab which originates from the XinJiang area. It was simply yummilicious!

• lowpostz's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De, Peking Duck...

by lowpostz Written Aug 26, 2002

Quan Ju De, Peking Duck restaurant
    The restaurant is the most famous Peking Duck restaurant. In the restaurant you can find all the famous people who has been there and the history of the restaurant. From 1861 Quan Ju De has been a well known name in Beijing. Here the chef asks you how you want the duck to be sliced and then slice the duck in front of your table. The way how to slice a duck is a tricky one and that's why they demonstrate it. For a Chinese restaurant Quan Ju De is very expensive, you can find a lot of peking duck restaurants in Beijing that are very good. When you decide to go to Quan Ju De, you go there partly to see the tradition and for the atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Peking Duck Menu

• Carlo-B.'s Profile Photo

Since i'm not a fan of the...

by Carlo-B. Updated Aug 26, 2002

Since i'm not a fan of the chineseese cooking it's hard for me to tell which one is good or not.
    The most famous, which was visited from many V.I.P ist the Guan Jade restaurant whith its famous lacked duck (here in the picture).

Instant Answers: Beijing