Quan Ju De (Peking Duck), Beijing

4 out of 5 stars 51 Reviews

• Quan Ju De (Peking Duck)
    Quanjude (Original Outlet)
    by Jeanling
  • Quan Ju De (Peking Duck)
  • jane307's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): You must try this traditional food - Peking Duck

by jane307 Written Jun 1, 2004

Peiking Roast Duck

Founded in 1864, famous, authentic and delicious. Best eating time is spring, fall and winter especially the fall.

Favorite Dish: Peiking Roast Duck: I loooooove it. roll duck flake, sweet sauce and piece of shallot in a cake like a lotus leaf.
    Duck's Sole with Mustard: First, tear; second, love it.

• vickss's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Castro and Bush had eaten at this place:So did I !

by vickss Updated Feb 20, 2005

Quan Ju De behind me

The place is very close to Tiananmen Square which means not difficult to locate. Though it is very crowded most of the time.. The decor is traditional and would seem out of a 60-70s Kung Fu movie with wooden benches and large tables which can be shared between patrons. There is no backrest so sit straight. There are few foreigners in here and infact the waiteress was at pains explaining to me that it is a Chinese restaurant -- probably never having seen an Indian before. The menu is only in Chinese so you need to know that Peking duck is called Peking Kao Ya in Chinese and thats what you need to say to the waiteress. She might show you other items on the menu but I ignored them to be safe. I kept wondering where exactly did Castro, George Bush, Yanni and Helmut Kohl(amongst others) would have sat when they visited the place..

Favorite Dish: Peking duck served here is delectable to say the least.
    What they serve you is shredded(actually small pieces of roasted duck-- which mind you is breeded specially for the restuarant). This will be served with 5-6 pieces of flattened rice cake..in India it would be called roti made of rice.
    They also served something in a glass with a white colour which again I ignored..
    Along with the stuff you will be served a small packet of paste.. looks like some kinda sauce..
    Hesistantly I tried it.. and it was cool with the duck.
    Last but not the least you have a set of chopsticks..
    Its not too difficult to learn though I took some time..
    You need to pick pieces of roasted duck dip it in the saucelike substance and place it in the middle of the rice cake and then fold it up and munch on.. Absolute bliss..

• yangzhigong's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): quán jù dé

by yangzhigong Written Aug 7, 2007

qu��n j�� d�� brand

Long one of the staples of Beijing, quán jù dé presents one of the time honored fares of northern Chinese cuisine: roasted duck. World-renowned restaurant quán jù dé has locations scattered throughout the city and is one of the most visible and well-recognized eateries in all of Beijing, though it is also among the most expensive dining experiences, roasted duck or otherwise. Those who have not had the experience may not know how roasted duck is to be eaten. It is not just taken off a plate and scooped into the mouth – it has a process of sorts. Along with the carved duck, the server will bring out flat, tortilla-like wrappers, a dark-brown sauce made from the soy of fermented wheat flour, and long, thinly-sliced shallots and cucumbers. To prepare: First, take a bit of the sauce/paste and place it on a flat, open wrap. Add the roasted duck slices, shallots, and cucumbers, roll it all together, and enjoy!

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Try another duck

by chewy3326 Written Nov 25, 2005

Beijing Roast Duck

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Peking Roast Duck. But after getting very hyped up about Quan Jude's "famous" duck, it was a pretty big disappointment. It wasn't that the duck was horrible, but it didn't live up to its reputation. Plus, it was way too greasy. There are roast duck restaurants in Gaithersburg, MD that make better roast duck than they do. Also, the lines for this restaurants are immensely long; we waited an hour to get seated. It's also run over by tour groups. So sometimes, the best Peking duck isn't in Beijing.

Favorite Dish: The Peking Roast Duck wasn't too good, but it was still OK (I guess.) It's very simple: roast duck, green onion (or chives) and I think some type of oyster-related sauce wrapped in a wrap. Normally it's one of the greatest foods on earth, but Quan Jude's version isn't.

• clairegeordio's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Lovely food!

by clairegeordio Written Jan 10, 2007

The restaurant that we went to was in Wangfujing. Make sure you get there before 8.30pm though as I believe that this was the last time that they would allow customers in by.
    We had duck (of course!) which was carved at our table, and battered fish in sweet and sour sauce. I would definitely recommend a visit here. It is supposed to serve the best duck in Beijing. I would say it is more expensive here than eating in a 'normal' restaurant in Beijing, but the prices were by no means more than I would be used to paying in the UK.

• violett's Profile Photo

Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant: Eat beijing roast duck with hand!

by violett Updated Aug 28, 2007

There are two famous restaurants for beijing roast duck, Quanjude(1864-) and Bian Yi Fang's roast duck(1885-). The first one hangs the duck in the half-open roast oven over heat source such as fire. The second one put the duck in a closed oven (where the heat is from inner oven wall ) under the earth and soup is filled into the duck and during the cooking, it is actually roasting outside and boiling inside.

Quanjude:
    Qianmenxida street 14, beijing
    +86 10 63023062

Qianmen Street 32, beijing (open again after October,2007)
    +86 10 67011379

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bian Yi Fang's:
    Tiantan Eastern Street 73,beijing
    Tel: +86 10 67020904

Favorite Dish: The staff will push a small table with the whole roast duck to your table, and slice it into about 120 pieces with both skin and meat for each. u can take some pictures :D
    You should wrap 3 duck slices, green onions, and sweet thick sauce in a particular thin pancake or a hollowed sesame bun, which served together with the roast duck, with your bare hands. So, WASH HANDS before eating!!!
    Other parts of the duck will be served as either cold dishes with its livers, wings, stomach, webs and eggs, or hot dishes with its heart, tongue and kidneys.
    But so many meat will be too heavy for u, order only half duck or not order so many meat,but order some vegetables.
    And do order the soup, it will be excellent! they cook the bones of the duck very long time till the soup turns white. very delicious!

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): No Quacks here: Peking Roasted Duck

by xuessium Updated Jul 28, 2007

QuanJuDe

There was a "death certificate" issued with my duck. I was eating the 11906715th duck since the restaurant started roasting them since 1864. This is swanky place and my T-shirt and shashuku looked pretty much out of place but the Cheong Sum-clad waitresses hardly raised an eyebrow. (I wish I could get away with this next time I visit a swanky French restaurant without riling up some French vulgarities)

By any means, this is a very expensive duck. At 198 RMB for a full Peking Roasted Duck meal, it's astronomical price for most Beijing folks. But it was the eve of my BD, and I'm not letting any 198RMB get in my way.

You can see the kitchen oven pits roasting the ducks from behind a glass and cooks hard at work, ensuring that you and me get the ducks in prime conditions. When it's cooled down enough, a chef will then roll the duck out on a trolley and carved the duck up in your presence as you looked on, working hardest to suppress your drool. A waitress will then proceed to explain the ingredients as well as demonstrate how you may eat the duck in the traditional way. Mine was serious on the get go. She hardly broke into smile. I guess when you have been doing this from the upteenth time, it really sucked the thrill out of it. I just wish she smiled a little. We weren't having dinner in prison.

Favorite Dish: The essence of the duck is all in the crispy delightful skin. All the flavours are there. Waste not. It's sinful to be wasting something so succulent. Bite into one crispy sliver and you'll know what the food of the Gods taste like.

The chef will take great pains to carve the thinnest of skin for you. Worry not. The rest are not wasted. The meat will be used in stir-fried dishes. The bones were thrown into a pot, cooked with wintermelon slices and brewed into a milky soup, that simply coats your tongue with playful tenderness.

How do you eat the duck?
    Take a piece of crepe skin (you have a choice of yellow with egg or white without egg) and lay it on your plate. Spread a little of sweet and salty roast duck sauce with a spoon on the crepe, sprinkle in some shreds of spring onion, then place a sliver or 2 of duck skin. You may then add a slice of duck meat, plus a few other items such as pickled chillies or raw garlic slices, ensuring that the items will not overflow (don't be greedy!) and then proceed to wrap the entire package up (without using your hands - that's rude!!) like a burrito and presto, your little package of heaven is ready to be popped into your mouth.

I don't know how many I ate but I was damn sure there wasn't any duck left on my table when me and my mate were through with it!

• honestjohn's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant

by honestjohn Updated Aug 11, 2004

in front of the restaurant

The Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant, established in 1864, is nationally famous for its roast duck, reputed to be China's No.1 delicacy.
    Ever since its establishment, the restaurant has kept the traditional method of roasting duck: the duck is hung on a pole over a wood fire until the skin turns golden brown and crisp. Customers can enjoy the special taste of Quanjude duck by covering the slices with sweet paste and green-onion shreds on a soft flatbread.
    The Qianmen Quanjude Restaurant also offers duck-shaped pastries and a variety of tempting dishes featuring different parts of the duck, including abalone and duck breast with chili sauce, eel with duck breast in casserole, and stewed mullet egg with duck tongue.
    A spacious relaxed setting and superb service will add to your pleasant dining experience at the restaurant.

I'm mouthwatering when writing the above:)

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Beijing Duck Restaurant: The Ultimate Meal!!!

by herzog63 Written Sep 24, 2003

Acrobats

I met a Swedish guy named Kimmo and we talked about eating a Beijing Duck. He had heard about a great place with great food that was cheap and he knew where it was! Great! I'm ready to splurge on a meal!!
    We made our way to the place. I was surprised to see small line of people that hadn't made it inside yet! Wow! this place must be popular! So we stood in line for about 10 minutes and finally made it inside. There was a family that spotted us and they wanted us to join them. So we took them up on their offer which was great! We got to interact with some locals and we didn't have to wait any longer to eat! We squeezed into the table and joined them...They didn't speak much English but there were smiles all around!! We didn't know what we wanted exactly as we neither of us had every had one of these big multi-course meals before. So we looked at what our hosts where eating as they had already been served. As we had become instant celebrities (being the only foreigners in the restaurant). We got up and walked around to see what others were eating too! Well, After having all this fun we decided what to order. 1/2 Roast Duck, Soup, some sort of bread chapati type things, other vegetables dishes and some stuff that I don't know what it was! But everything we ate was so DELICOUS!!! We also had a 3 of the Big bottles of Zhaoqing Pijiu beer each.

Favorite Dish: The Duck was so moist and it just melted in our mouths!! We were so full when we left. This entire meal for both of us cost only 28 RMB (US$5.32). I still dream about this meal from time to time!!
    I don't have a photo of the meal...wish I did! But I'm sharing a photo from the Beijing Acrobat show that I went to.

• Business Travel

• kittyzhaojin's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De: U wanna try Beijing Roasted Duck? :)

by kittyzhaojin Written Apr 11, 2003

It is definitely the MUST-TRY delicious food. But Note:firstly you might try little if your stomach is too vulnerable to oily duck.
    secondly ,Make sure that you are in the right Classical restaurant (QuanJuDe) which specialized in high quality Beijing Duck for one hundred years, not to try the thousands of fake and mediocre ones. They totally ruined the wonderful taste with a price only slightly cheaper than the classical restaurant.

• Study Abroad

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

A selection of Duck around Beijing!: Duck all the way!

by sugarpuff Updated May 20, 2009

Duck places in Beijing are plentiful!

Below are my recommendations:

Hua Jia Yi Yuan
    Great duck and lots of other yummy dishes from all over China. Set in a traditional courtyard...very pretty and the price of duck although higher than before the Olympics is lower than other duck restaurants around town. It is on the 24hour restaurant street.

Hua Jia Yiyuan Restaurant

Da Dong
    Have had duck here maybe only once. Different branches around town. Huge restaurant area. I have heard its popular with the expats.

Da Dong Restaurant

Quanjude
    One of the oldest Duck chain restaurants in Beijing. Established in 1864, the oldest branch can be found in Qianmen Main Shopping Street. Prices are higher here but it really does have an old feel to it that will transport you back to ancient times!!!

Quanjude Restaurant

Eat lots and have fun!

Favorite Dish: The Beijing Duck of course! Also I love eating spicy dishes so I would go for Sichuan cuisine too such as:
    Gong Bao Jiding (Spicy chicken and peanuts),
    YuXiang Qiezi (delicious aubergine dish),
    Xilanhua (brocolli like you've never tasted before with garlic!),
    Dan Dan Mian (spicy noodles),
    Si Ji Dou (green beans with a delicious sauce and spices on it)

These are just some of my favourites! Most restaurants these days have picture menus and English translations so you can just point!

• GlobeTrekr's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De Restaurant: Peking Roast Duck

by GlobeTrekr Written Mar 2, 2009

February 14, 2009. Valentine's Day. I took my wife Diana here for dinner to have some world famous Peking Roast Duck at the one and only Quanjude. Couldn't get in the same day at the original restaurant at No. 32 Qianmen Avenue so we went to the one at Houhai Lake.

We've had roast duck before, back home in Los Angeles, so the 45 minute wait for a table had me anxiously waiting and all the hype was intensifying. Service was amateur at best. They sat us at a dirty table and didn't clean it off until a few minutes after we were seated. When the table linen and plates were set we were given a knife and fork while every other patron in the place is eating with chopsticks and no fork in sight! We actually took that as an insult, we're no experts with chopsticks but we can easily manage eating our food with them. We ordered the Roast Duck with all the fixings and shrimp wrapped with bacon and asparagus as a separate dish. Side dish was decent but bacon was very undercooked as is typical throughout SE Asia.

The Roast Duck finally arrived and carved beautifully tableside. The carvers work swiftly and accurately, having it down perfect. The waiter came by and fixed us up a pancake each with duck and fixings and we dug in. I was a bit disappointed with all the hype the Quanjude chain gets regarding its roast duck. Don't get me wrong the duck was great, but honestly, I've had roast duck thats up to par, if not better, here in Los Angeles. For me the best part was the fatty skin carved from the belly that you dip in sugar.

Someday we'll return to Beijing and have roast duck again. Only this time I will have Da Dong and/or Li Qun before I even consider Quanjude.

• doompling's Profile Photo

Quanjude: Classy Joint, Excellent Duck

by doompling Updated Jun 22, 2008

With reasonable prices considering the fancy atmosphere and the delicious food, this place is a good place to check Peking Duck off your list of things to do/eat in Beijing. It's 196 Yuan for a whole duck, 98 for half. Pancakes and sauce are extra. It had been highly recommended to me by a friend, and I was not disappointed. Just thinking about it makes me hungry . . .

Favorite Dish: The Roast Duck here is a must, of course. Be sure to eat the brain too - it's tastier than it looks. As a starter, the cream mushroom and duck meat soup is delicious, with just a touch of sweetness, it's the perfect preface to the actual duck.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant: Peking Duck!

by Willettsworld Written Aug 8, 2009

I stayed near to the Qianmen branch of this famous Peking Duck chain but the road that it's located on (Qianmen Dajie) was closed due to renovations before the Olympics and so I made my way to this branch, just off the pedestrianised Wangfujing Dajie, to the east of the Forbidden City.

It is thought that Beijing roast duck, like the tradition of roast turkey in America and the UK, owes its origin to the roast goose that is still popular in Europe on festive occasions. Westerners like Marco Polo brought certain European customs to China and may have introduced the concept of roasting poultry to their Chinese hosts during the Yuan Dynasty (1271 - 1368). Ducks had long been domesticated in China and the plump ducks proved to be an excellent substitute for goose. However, there is another school of thought based upon certain records that show roast duck has a much longer history dating back as far as the Northern and Southern Dynasties (420 - 589). Up until the Southern Song Dynasty (1127 - 1279), ducks were roasted in the area around Jinling, today's Nanjing. However, the later Yuan Dynasty rulers moved their capital city to Beijing from Jinling and took with them their cuisine thus making roast duck popular in the city that was eventually to make it its very own specialty.

Whichever way, you can't come to Beijing and not have one and I decided to come to one of the best duck restaurants in the city. It isn't cheap with half a duck costing RMB120 but its well worth it in the end and is more of an occasion than just food.

• maria_hz's Profile Photo

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): Duck any way you want it

by maria_hz Written Aug 14, 2006

THE place

This is maybe one of the most famous chains of restaurants in Beijing to eat Beijing Roast Duck, but some may well classify this place a tourist trap. At any rate, when in Beijing, you have to try Beijing Duck and this place I liked. I enjoyed dining at an establishment that is a concept and that was established in 1864. (Not many of those around in my home country.) The food was delicious but of course a bit pricier than regular places. The staff was well-trained and spoke a little English. We had a fab times both times I've been.

There is another one at Qianmen Dajie, but this one is less crowded and being a party of 4 coming around 7 pm we had no problem getting a table.

Favorite Dish: Well, you don't come here for the noodels, do you? Go ahead, order a duck, watch the cook slice it, fill up those little cakes with sauce and onions and enjoyyyyyy! Then taste the roast duck soup that will be made of the bones. No bones about it, the soup really tastes of duck! Serious risk of overeating... I did!

Instant Answers: Beijing