Taj Restaurant, Beijing

China World 1 (west side)

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

The Taj: Where all the locals go!

by sugarpuff Written Oct 8, 2006

All the dishes we had that night!

This is a place that I have walked past many times before but have never had the opportunity to go into, due mainly to its high prices! It is situated at the bottom of The International Trade Centre in Beijing, so is in a great location for businessmen, who are the ones with the company account!!!!

Anyway, a friend of mine recently invited me to dinner there with four other friends and I was really excited! The weather outside was atrocious...one of the worst spring days yet this year, sand blowing around in the air, trees rustling like crazy and a feeling that armageddon was about to attack!

Anyway, the restaurant was nice and cosy with great smells and a very 'real' ambiance. The carpets were traditionally Indian style, pattern and colour and the fact that the place was just full of Indian people gave it brownie points for convincing its customers that it has REAL Indian food!!! The waiter staff was friendly and were good at recommending various dishes. They dress in traditional Indian clothes and through the glass you can see the chefs working in the kitchen!

Favorite Dish: We had an array of dishes, although i cannot remember what we had. I know we had Jogan Rosh, Chicken tikka masala, naan bread and butter naan bread, delicious mango yoghurt drinks, samosas and a few other dishes, but i think no matter what you try here, its all going to taste scrummy!!!

My friend, fellow VTer Maysue was getting very snap happy and so I joined her as I thought i had to add new pages to my Beijing VT page too, so the two of us must have looked a little crazy!!! We must have caught the manager's eye as he then began giving us very special attention after that believing we were someone important! It was quite fun!!!

I must add that the manager was a very nice man, and would walk round all the tables throughout the evening asking people if they were ok etc...it was very good service, no wonder there was a queue of people waiting to eat there. His name in case you wish to eat there is M H Pastakia.

• Taj Restaurant: A taste of India

by mke1963 Written Feb 3, 2004

Run by one of only two Sikhs in Beijing, the Taj is a favourite of many working in the China World complex.
    It's lunchtime buffet is an absolute bargain, and always has four or five vegetarian dishes together with two meat dishes served at the table. Nan, poodaums, chutnies, yoghurts.

Don't let the bland plat-glass and net curtain frontage put you off. This is a good, cheap eat with quick, friendly service. If they had beds, I'd move in.

Favorite Dish: Aloo Gobi, Chicken Jalfrezi...all the usual Indian dishes and plenty more of the less usual.
    The mango lassi is always a great way to start the meal, and to end it, and even to break the monotony of those times when your hand has nothing to do!

Instant Answers: Beijing