Fayuan Temple, Beijing
This large Buddhist temple complex, occupying an area of 6,700 square metres, is located in the south-western area of central Beijing in the Xuanwu district. It was first built in 645 A.D. during the Tang Dynasty by Emperor Li Shimin, and later rebuilt in the Zhengtong Period (1436-1449) of the Ming Dynasty.
It has a compact overall arrangement and buildings are arranged along the medial axis symmetrically. Main buildings there include the Gate of Temple, Heavenly King Hall, Main Hall, Hall of Great Compassion, Sutra Hall, and Bell and Drum Towers. On both sides of the Gate of Temple stand the Bell Tower and the Drum Tower respectively. The Main Hall, which is magnificent and sacred, houses Statues of Flower Adornment School's three saints: Vairocana Buddha, Manjusri, and Samantabhadra. The Hall of Great Compassion houses statues, carved stones, and artistic masterpieces.