Great Wall of China - Badaling, Beijing

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Badaling or Simatai?

by Avieira67 Updated Jul 7, 2015

I tryed to go to Badaling using a official bus, but I didn't get the information on time. Lonely Planet guide has the accurate information!
    On May 2006, I went to Badaling on a day trip from Qianmen Square. I have found a bus with a local guide for 50 CNY return ticket.
    I must say I didn't like the trip because I was expecting to spend a day on the wall. During our trip, we stopped in several places, including the Ming's Tombs, and we arrived at the wall around 4:45 p.m. We had to return to Beijing at 06:00 p.m.
    Entrance to the Wall: 45 CNY
    Fixed cable car to the Wall: 60 CNY [possibility in one entrance]
    I suggest you to go to Simatai, located 110km north east of Beijing.

Great Wall

• LakshyaR's Profile Photo

Great wall of china

by LakshyaR Written Nov 17, 2014

THIS is one of the amazing place i visited ,if u want to see this place u need to wake up early in the morning ..!!! u need to be ready with ur energy around it will take u tole while climpling up u need proper shoes ,trust me it will be crowed u will find lot inclind walk and decling walk, dnt go went it is raining it seroius dangerous of sliping down becareful when raining around my advise u dnt go great wall of china when it is raining it is serious bussness.

• ampraxu1's Profile Photo

A Collection of Beijing’s Great Wall Sections

by ampraxu1 Written Feb 19, 2014

1. Badaling Great Wall

Badaling Great Wall is located in Yanqing County, 116º 35´ east longitude and 40º 25´ north latitude, 60 kilometers to the northwest of downtown Beijing. To date, this 3,741-meter section of the Badaling Great Wall has been open to tourists, comprising of 21 city units and enemy units. Badaling Great Wall was built along the ridges of mountains, looking precipitous from the external wall but gently sloped from the internal wall. It is a year-round travel destination. Mr. Zhao Puchu, a famous poet, calligrapher and president of the Chinese Buddhists Association, unveiled the miraculous scene of Badaling Great Wall in all seasons: “We are impressed with the spectacular scenes of Great Wall, as beautiful as pictures. The centuries-old Great Wall has always been so charming in all ages. It is best loved in spring days of blossoming flowers, summer days of green trees, autumn days of sea of red leaves, and winter days of white snows. Looking into the distance, the Great Wall gives expression of infinite passions of old and new.”

Admission: Children/Seniors

Opening Hours: Apr. 1st to Oct. 3rd: 45 yuan; Nov. 1st to Mar. 31st: 40 yuan

Phone: 010-69121306

Address: In the southwestern part of Yanqing County, Beijing

Read more of the article, please click on http://english.visitbeijing.com.cn/tip/n214966194.shtml

• Mountain Climbing

• ampraxu1's Profile Photo

Shuiguan Great Wall

by ampraxu1 Written Feb 18, 2014

Shuiguan Great Wall is also called Water Pass Great Wall, located 1.24 miles away from the Badaling Great Wall in Yanqing County. This section of the Great Wall was erected during the Ming Dynasty in ancient China. It is the most complete and strongest section of the ten thousand li Great Wall and famous for its precipitous cliffs.

Read more from http://english.visitbeijing.com.cn/thingstodo/routes-strategy/sightseeing-themes/eco-travel/n214965664.shtml

• Mountain Climbing

• solopes's Profile Photo

Badaling

by solopes Updated Dec 17, 2013

In our way to Badaling we passed in another segment of the wall, with an interesting look - I think it was Nankou. Our guide took us further, to Badaling, I don't know exactly why. Maybe because the walls were not so steep (I noticed it), maybe because parking should be easier (didn't seem so), maybe because the sight of the wall is wider (it was), maybe because the commercial structures are more developed.

We were approached by lots of vendors, but being in a group allowed me to escape "harmless". Well, almost - a couple of tee-shirts, and... i don't remember - the walls were waiting us!

Beijing - China

• solopes's Profile Photo

The most visited

by solopes Updated Dec 17, 2013

Most of the ten thousand kilometres of wall is ruined, and the visits are concentrated in only three easily accessed points. Badaling is the most visited (maybe for being so close to Beijing, maybe for being the most scenic of them).

With the thousands of people coming each day, soon they will have to open other segments to the public. But this small part of the whole is perfect to give us a correct idea of the complexity of the construction, and the hard job it was to spread it upon those mountains and valleys.

Beijing - China

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

I climbed the Great Wall with my family!

by AusPinay Updated Jul 17, 2013

After visiting and climbing the Great Wall many years ago as a single person with my journalist mates, I promised myself I shall bring my family of four her too.

I kept my promise and the second time around, I was with my loving family and it was a blast.

I booked a privately escorted tour for my family after our cruise on Diamond Princess which ended up in Tianjin port which is a bit far from Beijing so that we could have a reliable transfer and proper tour of the city.

Luckily, it was a great tour company I chose which sent us a very reliable tour guide. Climbing the wall this time was a bit hard, the weather was warmer, sun was stinking hot and there were more people than I expected and compared to my first, this trip was really a bit tiring but fun. Also, the one I climbed before was at the other less popular one and farther.
    Climbing was lovelier the second time around!

So we still had a blast climbing the wall, without bumping into lots of people!

Shopping was also great here but you need to really haggle. Make sure you shop around before buying at the wall. It is usually cheaper at the city centre but if you have no time, it's fine, the prices are still good anyway. But if you are on a budget, do shop around, even souvenirs are sold at restaurants in Beijing and much cheaper we found! We had our main meals included in our tour including hotels ( two rooms for the four of us) at $1,000 US Dollars including the private van, driver, entrance fees to the tourist spots and lunch and dinners for 2 nights and three days.

Badaling Great Wall is the site of the most visited section of the Great Wall partly because it is close to Beijing city and connected with tgje urban area by expressway.

According to the Great Wall website for Badaling:

This section of the wall is the first section opened to tourists (in 1957) after reconstructed. Badaling Great Wall shows the Great Wall as it would have looked originally, and it does not look too new. That is another reason of why most travelers choose Badaling Great Wall.

There is a Great Wall Museum and Great Wall National Theater close to Badaling Great Wall. The theater offers you a chance to get a full view of the Great Wall of China.

I shall write another review for that part of our tour. But it is still as marvelous as before, the Great Wall is indeed a memorable place, I had more time examining the wall and the artefacts being displayed there compared to the first time I climbed it.

Indeed, it is lovelier the second time around! Especially as I had my lovely family with me!

• Hiking and Walking

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

The Great Wall.

by IreneMcKay Updated Jul 10, 2013

We booked a day trip to the Great Wall - Badaling Section - after our arrival in Beijing. It was a superb trip and I would heartily recommend it. I would say visiting the Great Wall was one of the travel highlights of my life. The wall is just so world famous and it is so far away and exotic. I found it hard to believe I was actually there.

The building of the Great Wall started in around the 3rd century BC and continued to the 17th century AD. It was built as a defensive structure and is more than 20,000 kilometers long. The Great Wall begins in the east at Shanhaiguan in Hebei province and ends at Jiayuguan in Gansu province to the west. It is made up of walls, horse tracks, watch towers, shelters and fortresses.

The trip also went to the Ming Tombs - nothing special and a Chinese medicine centre - Interesting. They asked for volunteers to have an electrical current passed through their body. All the Chinese people on our tour volunteered; not a single white person did. Cultural difference perhaps!!!

Yes, we are really there. A bit of a climb. The Great Wall.

• cal6060's Profile Photo

UNESCO SITE: Great Wall at Badaling

by cal6060 Updated Aug 1, 2012

We went to The Great Wall at Badaling with Beijing Hub of Tour Dispatch. The trip was quite rushing, as we visited the Waxwork Palace as well. We arrived at the Great Wall around 2pm, we had only about three hours to walk around and enjoy the views. It was very crowded with tourists. We took the cable car cost Y60 return, not included in the tour package. The view was stunning. We started to walk around the wall. There were steep steps, not easy as we thought. It was a long wall surrounded by mountains.

Tour Package Cost: Y100 (including transportation, lunch, entrance fee to the Great Wall).

Government Run Tour Company:
    Beijing Hub of Tour Dispatch (北京旅游集散中心), these are their stations:

1) The southwest corner of the Tiananmen Square
    2) The southeast corner of the Tiananmen Square
    3) The northeast corner of Xuanwumen Crossroads

Great Wall at Badaling, Beijing Great Wall at Badaling, Beijing Great Wall at Badaling, Beijing Great Wall at Badaling, Beijing Great Wall at Badaling, Beijing

• mingomatic's Profile Photo

Far and out of the way, but it's worth it!

by mingomatic Updated Dec 29, 2011

Great part of the Great Wall to visit. It's not in Beijing central so it will take an hour or more to get there by car. There are plenty of photo opportunities from high up. They have cable cars that take you to a higher altitude, but you can walk too. Great exercise and fresh air which is hard to come by in Beijing.

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Beijing Shisanling Waxworks Palace of Ming Dynasty

by cal6060 Updated Dec 13, 2011

We did not expect to visit this place, but the tour to the Great Wall at Badaling had to stop here. I thought to have good use of the time, we visited this Waxworks Palace. Anyway, I did not like to waste time here as shorten our time visiting the great Wall.

Overall, This Waxworks Palace was quite nice to visit. It displayed the people of Ming Dynasty with a flow of history events. Due to limited time, we could not learn the story fast enough. There was a lady tour guide who speaks Mandarin explaining the scenes of each waxwork. She spoke too fast, I could not catch and pay attention to here. If I did pay attention to her stories, I wouldn't be able to appreciate the art of the waxworks in Ming Dynasty Costumes.

They were cheesy to charge visitors Y10 to use own camera to take photos of those waxworks.

Opening Hours: Summer: 7am-5pm
    Winter : 8am-4:30pm.

Admission: Y40 ( not included in Great Wall tour package)

In Chinese: 十三陵明皇蜡像宫

Beijing Shisanling Waxworks Palace of Ming Dynasty Beijing Shisanling Waxworks Palace of Ming Dynasty Beijing Shisanling Waxworks Palace of Ming Dynasty Beijing Shisanling Waxworks Palace of Ming Dynasty Beijing Shisanling Waxworks Palace of Ming Dynasty
    • Museum Visits

• DennyP's Profile Photo

AT THE WALL RIDE THE CABLE CAR TO THE TOP

by DennyP Written Oct 5, 2011

When we arrived at the wall we wanted to make the most of the time we had so after a look around at the base area buildings and getting our entry tickets we also got return tickets on "The Beijing Biconvex Pulley Car" that rapidly takes you to the top...this initself is a great ride...somewhat like a funfair ride..I was glad that I had a return ticket on the way back though.STRAP YOURSELF IN AND ENJOY THE FAST RIDE..

STRAP YOURSELF IN AND ENJOY THE FAST RIDE UP UNDER COVER ALL THE WAY UP I'M HERE AT THIS WONDER OF THE WORLD...AMAZING AN INCREDIBLE DAY OUT  ON THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA

• DennyP's Profile Photo

VISIT THE GREAT WALL AT BADALING

by DennyP Updated Oct 5, 2011

BEIJING
    When visiting Beijing for me it was imperrative to visit the Great Wall (Changcheng) as it would be I'd imagine with everyone else that visits the city.This obviously is a mandatory thing to do as it is not often you get to visit and walk on a Wonder of the World. The day I chose to go to The Great wall the weather was a little on the cold side so myself and my Chinese friend made our way to the bus station and headed for Badaling .Today was my first journey on a public bus here in China and the volume of noisy chatter was a different experience and very enjoyable. I was ready for and accustomed to large crowds and expected plenty at Badaling..
    This particular section of the wall is an extremely popular section I imagine because it is probably the closest to Beijing City to visit being just 70 kilometers north west of the City.. I found though as we walked along the wall the crowds seemed to diminish a lot and it wasn't that crowded at all...The photo opportunites are everywhere and talking to some workers that were doing repairs I was given a piece of an aged old floor stone that was being replaced and the old broken up and used as a filler..I was thrilled with the fact that I had this piece of ancient stone from such an amazing place.I couldn't help but wonder just how long it had been there in its place!!..I was assured by the workers, through my Chinese interpreter friend that is was ok to have..
    I was surprised how steep some of the sections were as we walked quite a long distance along the wall...and then wile on our way back quite suddenly the temperature dropped noticeably and the wind started to blow very hard with snow ...as I was only dressed for a cool day I had to make a dash for it and caught the biconvex pulley that raced down the tracks to our bus..This was a shame as I wanted to spend a night on the wall..
    A LOCAL BUS TICKET FROM THE BUS STATION .RETURN TO THE WALL IS VERY CHEAP AND IS AN ALLROUND BETTER EXPERIENCE THAN A HOTEL ORGANISED TOUR THAT CAN BE AN EXPENSIVE "RIP OFF"

IM HERE AT LAST!!  THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA ANOTHER VIEW OF THE LONG SNAKING WALL SOME PARTS OF THE WALL ARE EXTREMELY STEEP NOT AS CROWDED AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE SEEMS TO GO ON FOREVER THROUGH THE COUNTRYSIDE
    • Hiking and Walking

• rafscab's Profile Photo

Badaling Section

by rafscab Updated Apr 4, 2011

Badaling Section of the Great Wall is the most touristic section of the wall, but it deserves a visit in spite of the thousand tourist you'll find along.
    It's just an hour ride from central Beijing. As you aproach to the site, you leave the even terrain of the city and begin the steep mountains. From that moment you star to feel the magnificent of the Great Wall, because the construction site is in middle of the mountains, in very rough landscape.
    Certainly a marvel.

Thousands tourists at Badaling

• rafscab's Profile Photo

Badaling Section: get away from people

by rafscab Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you are fit enough to climb the Great Wall for some minutes, choose one side from the main entrance and walk. As you go away, there's fairly less people around and then you can almost find a section of the great wall just for you.
    Remember that chinese people says that to be a royal hero, you have to climb the Great Wall. So, put on comfortable shoes and climb the steep hills and stairs.

Go away from tourists, walk, run, climb!!

Instant Answers: Beijing