Wangfujing Street, Beijing

4 out of 5 stars 44 Reviews

Wanfujing by night
    by Joeplaboem
  • Fancy food street - snack street (Wanfujing)
    Fancy food street - snack street...
    Wanfujing
  • marielexoteria's Profile Photo

The night market

by marielexoteria Updated Dec 1, 2009

Entering the famous Wangfujing night market...

One of the markets we wanted to visit was the night market located on Wangfujing street. We were looking for souvenirs and we didn't really find anything of our liking, but we had fun "window shopping" and getting a vibe of this part of the town. I particularly liked the retro feeling I got from the gates, considering that the market is on an alley surrounded by very modern buildings with other shops.

We found the market right away after exiting the metro station. We liked seeing the people and some of the street foods and I wanted to try some of the steam buns but we couldn't communicate well enough to find out what the buns were filled of (because of food allergies). With that said, I wasn't very keen to try scorpions, larvae, seahorses and other to me unidentified things. Picture #3 reminded me of one of The Amazing Race seasons where the roadblock of that episode was to eat what I photographed.

We got there at 9'ish on the PM and the stalls were preparing to close for the day.

• Architecture

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Wangfujing St.

by chewy3326 Written Dec 21, 2005

Wangfujing Street

This is perhaps the most exciting single street in the city. It's filled with shopping areas, tourist traps, restaurants, and some shadier areas. Many food stands line the road, as well as the giant Wangfujing bookstore, and of course, the Xindongan Mall. It's possible to walk the entire street from Dongchangan Street to Wusi St. in 15-20 minutes, but it's a good idea to stop at a lot of different areas along the way. Just a word of warning: the lower level of the Xindongan Market contains a tourist trap type of souvenir center, where everything is horribly overpriced. Try somewhere else.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Noise, lights,huge shopping facades and people!!

by albaaust Written Jan 17, 2007

This is an exciting place to be day or night. It is one of the largest malls I have certainly been to with its rows of shops, department stores (with a number of levels), huge displays, lots of noise and of course, people.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Oct 9, 2006

Beijing - Wangfujing Street

The main business street - Wangfujing is in several minutes of walking from "Forbidden city". At the left side there is a shop number 1, once the biggest in Pekin, behind it - the main shop of children's toys, further - the well-known tea shop.

• Business Travel

• RinaNeo's Profile Photo

Shop till you drop....then fill your tummy !!

by RinaNeo Written May 2, 2005

buzzling with shoppers

"Wangfujing". A shopping street that provides a variety of purchases from designer goods all the way from Italy to the local version of Armani. At one quick glance I actually thought that Armani was on sale when I saw a familiar logo with the big 'SALE' sign.

If you have enough time, explore the smaller shops and outlet that sometimes offer local products are really cheap and reasonable price. There are also gift shops which has a fix price of RMB 10 for all the products displayed. I bought miniature tea set for RMB10 : )

However, beware of pick pockets while indulging yourself in the shopping paradise. Also you may encounter elderly woman standing by the street whispering in Mandarin " spy camera for sale " . At first I was shocked but somehow spending few hours in Wangfujing and having heard this whispers again and again when I walked past them doesn't seemed to border me anymore as I continue packing my bags with good stuff.

• School Holidays
    • Work Abroad

• mskwan's Profile Photo

Street Food

by mskwan Written Jun 16, 2005

Food Stalls

Wether you want to eat street food or not, Dongganmen Yeshi is worth a visit. It is an eveing food market, which gets going from 6 to 9 pm. All sorts of exotic eats are available, including deep-fried scorpion, grasshopper, silk worms, starfish or caterpillar kebabs. It's also a good place to try typical street food, like fried dumplings, sticky rice in lotus leaves, fried noodles, etc. The nightmarket is at the northern end of Wangfujing near Xindongan Plaza. Just look for a long row of street stalls with red lanterns, you can't miss it.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Food that nightmares are made of

by blueskyjohn Updated Oct 13, 2013

I love street vendors. I did not know about this area until I took a taxi to my hotel one night and drove past this line of vendors. To focus on the exotic or should I say the nightmarish, these vendors had plenty of little critters to sample. Both from land and sea. An amazing assortment of scorpions, tarantula's, snake, worms, centipedes, starfish, octopus and on and on.

So if insects and the like are your food of choice or if you just want to eat something really different, this is the place to go. I couldn't bring myself to try any of these. I am sure if I was with friends I would have gone for it. I spoke to several of the vendors to get an idea of what the scorpions and tarantulas taste like. All I can get from one is that it taste like chicken and he laughed. There were definitely more tourist here than locals.

• Adventure Travel

• rui_bijie's Profile Photo

Dong Hua Men Night Market

by rui_bijie Written Oct 28, 2003

Dong Hua Men Night Market

This night market has to be seen to be believed. Food includes familiar fried and roasted meat, fish, seafood, vegetables and fruit, alongside hearts, brains, stomach and other innards. Specialities: sparrows, scorpions, crickets and silkworm grubs.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Wang Fu Jing Pedestrian Shopping Mall

by SLLiew Written Sep 20, 2008

In Shanghai, we have Nanjing Lu. In Guangzhou, we have Beijign Lu. In Beijing, we have Wangfujing Lu.

Wangfujing, which has a subway of the same name, is the most popular tourist pedestrian mall in Beijing. It is busy dayand night with many shops, book stores, restaurants and shopping mall.

There is an adjoing Wangfujing Food Street that has is also world famous for the different types of Beijing street food.

Definitely a must-visit place even just to stroll along.

• bebejepang's Profile Photo

From modern to old shopping street

by bebejepang Written Nov 23, 2008

wangfujing snack street

The main wangfujing street is the modern one with the Oriental plaza, book stores, international brands shops and restaurants.
    Check out the "snack street" on the north side of Donghuamen Dajie, east of Wangfujing street... it is more interesting to find traditional chinese foods, snacks, or souvenirs. This small street start from the wangfujing (chinese) gate.

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Visit Wangfujing Street

by K.Knight Updated Sep 12, 2008

Wangfujing Street

In most travel guides, Wangfujing Street is advertised as “The capital of Beijing’s shopping”
    I must admit that I found Wangfujing Street to be too modern for my liking and I did not feel as though I was in China!
    Modern buildings, up market restaurants and chick stores are all on offer here but I did not go Beijing to do shopping that I could do at home.
    Having said that, Anne and I found a fantastic optometrist shop to have perscription glasses manufactured. Anne had her eyes tested, a new pair of eye glasses manufactured and the lenses replaced in her existing pair for AUS$120.00! BARGAIN!!!
    The optometrist shop is at the Taxi stand end of the street and on the opposite side of the road. It is the only optometrist there.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Wang Fu Jing Bookstore

by SLLiew Written Sep 21, 2008

There are several large book stores at Wangfujing and Xitan.

These bookstores are large and multi-storey. Great place to get maps and learning Chnese books. And of course for buying postcards. Nowadays, there are smaller bookstores sprouting all over Beijing.

Usually, there is an English section but most books are in Chinese. Plastic bags are not offered but books are tied up together with string for easy carrying.

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Night Gross Food Market :-)

by sunshine9689 Updated Mar 19, 2007

Eating bugs. 2006

At the end of WangFuJing street you can eat some gross stuff, like:
    - scorpions (big-50RMB and small-15RMB),
    - snakes,
    - sea horses,
    - bugs, cockroaches, etc.

All this food does not smell nice and is not tasty and is not that cheap. But it`s worth trying, at least so you can brag later in front of your friends how you ate a scorpion. I know I did. :-)

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

St. Joseph's Church

by mikelisaanna Written Jul 5, 2008

St. Joseph's Church (also called East Church)

St. Joseph's Church (also called the East Church) is an attractive Catholic Church on WangFuJing Street, just north of the pedestrian shopping area. The present church was built in 1904, replacing an earlier church that had been destroyed during the Boxer rebellion. The site has been the location of a Catholic church since the 1600s, when the emperor gave the land to the Jesuits. The original church was destroyed by an earthquake in the 1700s, and its replacement was gutted by fire in the 1800s and then destroyed again in the Boxer Rebellion.

The church is open to the public. However, the services are only conducted in Mandarin and Latin. At night, the church is beautifully lit with golden-colored lights, and makes for an interesting contrast with the commercial signage of WangFuJing's shopping district.

• Architecture
    • Religious Travel

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Main shopping street

by muratkorman Updated Apr 10, 2010

Wangfujing Street is very close to Tiananmen Square and it is closed to traffic in evening hours. You can find shopping malls, shops and restaurants on the street. There is also a snack street and night market close to this street. It is busy during day and night. You can take the metro to reach Wangfujing easily.

• Photography

Instant Answers: Beijing

Comments

Hotels Near Wangfujing Street
3.5 out of 5 stars