Tour Scams, Beijing

• Tour Scams
    by varky
    In the briefing room
    by CharissaO
  • You could see this when you enter the shop
    You could see this when you enter the...
    by CharissaO
  • Derun Jewelry; Tong Ren Tang

by chungjo Written Feb 15, 2012

OMG! i regret to have not done much research online, had the same experience as dot and dot,
    I am so disgusted with Chinese!

Unique Suggestions: Don't buy anything and be determined not to be swayed easily.
    Do research online to check any complaint about the shop.

Fun Alternatives: Decide what you want to do in China, and stick to it.
    If you really need to buy, reference from other tourists tip and make wise decisions to think through and analyse, be ruthless in your negotiations since they were never honest seller to begin with.

• Photography

• Derun Jewellery Shop in Beijing Olympic Stadium

by applie Written Feb 13, 2012

I had the same encounter as Dot_Dot. He called himself the "Shao Dong", young boss. Exact same story and I brought the 3800 jade bangle from him! Dot_Dot, who do u complain to? Any chance of getting back our money?

• alizahri's Profile Photo

Derun Jewellery Shop in Beijing Olympic Stadium

by alizahri Written Jan 10, 2012

We went to the same shop on Jan 7 2012. Same thing happened like dot_dot but mine instead of Parents anniversary, the guy by the name "King" said that he was getting married.
    Every other things being mentioned by dot_dot were similar to our situation, from how to verify good quality of jade, pearls etc.

After the briefing, we we sent to so called VIP room and given a personal tour by King and he started giving good discounts. Can you believe it, a 29K yuan bangle can be sold 1.5K yuan???? Obviously for no-nothing-abt-jade guys like us would consider that was a good buy. But we hesitated at first, knowing that we don't know whether we should get them for our wives, but the guy and his assistants were so persistant.

I started to think that something is wrong went the guy throw us a pearl pendant with original price of 6K yuan for free if we purchase the jade and the pearl set. You should see the act of the assistants.. they were so well trained, they prentended as if this is too shocking to believe.

So we bought the jade bangle and pearl set, with two pearl pendants for free at 3000 yuan. Suddenly the King just went missing and left us with his assistants. After we paid, i browsed around and the King came in and offer us a jade ring at 200yuan with oringinal price of 3000 yuan.. and at this point of his assistants spoiled the act but bursting into luagh and left the room. I asked him whats wrong, and he said she was just too happy for the wedding and she also receive a free jade pendant that day. What a load of crap. Not to make a scene, i just left the shop and we were sent to a restaurant next door for lunch. At that time, i pulled my phone and google the jewelry shop "Derun Jewelry", and the first search result was from dot_dot. I was shocked.

After lunch, we were supposed to go to silk shop, on my way there i read all scams in Beijing and the silk shop is also included. I stopped my friend my friend from buying the overpriced silks and told him what happened.

As the purchase was fully paid using my friend's credit card, he tried contacting the bank but they said it is not possible to cancel since he has signed the receipt.

So now we are back in Kuala Lumpur and wanted to lodge a complaint to our tour company. Their excuses so far was any selling strategy by the seller is beyond their control, but we insisted that this was a scam and they should have done proper study on the itenaries instead of just let us being lured into scam like this.

5 days in beijing, we only went to TWO tourist attractions!!!! the rest of the trip was filled with unnecessary visits to factories, tea shop and some stupid massage parlour.

We will still proceed with our consumer board complaint to ensure that travel agents are aware we the tourist have the right to do so.

And don't let me start with my tourist guide in beijing who keeps talking about commision everytime he took us to a place. As the language barrier plays important role in buying stuffs, we had no choice but to let him buy all our tickets with doubtfully high price.

Unique Suggestions: Pretend that you are interested but don't buy them. If you want to shop in china, just go to proper mall. If you insisted to buy jewelry in Beijing, study the price range and quality before your trip. I wish i had read the web prior to my trip but since this is my first time travelling with a travel agency, i thought it would be safe enough not to study anything before departure.

Fun Alternatives: Just cut the session short by saying no. or give your uninterested face at all time. They will push you by anyway, just laugh your way out of there asap.

• Derun Jewellery Shop in Beijing Olympic Stadium

by kittyhawk23 Written Jan 9, 2012

same story as dot_dot. We visited on 31/3 2011. it seems Dot_Dot and we visited the shop on the same date, maybe even in the same group, so there may even be a slim chance that he was genuine. Any how, you have to hand it to him. If he was fake, he was real smooth and had mastered sincerity well. I would like to hear from another "victim" from a different group on a different date before confirming this plot as fake. The pendant we were given retailed for S$60 at Singapore International Airport.

• Beware of Derun Jewelry at Beijing Olympic Stadium

by dot_dot Written Jan 1, 2012

I had bought a tour package for Beijing for four days.
    During the last day of the tour, we were brought to "shop" in many expensive stores. One of the shop that we were brought into was Derun Jewelry at the Beijing Olympic Stadium. When you enter, you will see many of their Pearl products,including the pearl powder and Pearl and Ginseng Cream.
    When we enter, we were hussled into a "VIP room" to listen to one lady explain about pearls, its origin and what it can be made into. After that, she went out to ask for one "Shi-fu (master)" to come in to explain to us about Jade. Then, she came back in and said that the "shi-fu" was not around, and a guy with the name of Yan Hao came in, claiming that he is the son of the shop-owner.
    He explained about jade and jadeite, and ways to differentiate a real from a fake jadeite. He even exaggerate and show that his company jadeite will be able to scratch his glass table. Upon seeing that my tour group was not interested and tired, he suddenly gave all of us a pendant as a gift, saying that that day was his parents' anniversary. He said he wanted to accumulate good blessings for his parents, thats why he gave us a gift.
    Then we were hussled into a room where jadeite were displayed. As Yan Hao claimed that that day was his parents anniversary, he slashed the prices of all the items. Jadeite pendants initially selling for 360 RMB were slashed to 30 RMB, jadeite bangles selling for 16800 RMB were slashed to 3800 RMB. He claimed that his jadeite were of good quality and can be passed down from generations to generations.
    After purchasing the jadeite, they gave us a certificate, citing good quality (or pin zhi bao zheng). Upon our return home, we sent the jadeite for testing, and realised that the jadeite was not of Type A grade, but rather B+C grade, and hence, the the jadeite bangle was not even worth 3800 RMB! We were rather upset with the result, and has decided to make a complain to the consumer association.

Unique Suggestions: Unique Suggestions: If you ever enter this Derun Jewelry Shop in Beijing Olympic Stadium, don't ever trust their words. They will always make things sound very real and positive, but do not ever trust nor buy anything from them.

• Beware of Derun Jewelry at Beijing Olympic Stadium

by dot_dot Written Jan 1, 2012

I had bought a tour package for Beijing for four days.

• Our tour to Great Wall

by mange_tout Written Oct 16, 2011

I strongly disadvice you to take any guided tour to the Great Wall from the tour operators that operate in the Forbiden City.

When visitng the Forbiden City, we were approached by a guy who called himself "Bill"(that was suposed to be his english name though he was a chinese). He offered us a tour to the Great Wall plus Ming Tombs. Because we anyway wanted to see it, we arranged it.

On a day of tour his van came to pick us at the hotel. Beside driver there was a woman who introduced herself as our guide. A first supprise(when we were already on the motorway) was when she told us that we wouldn't be visiting Ming Tombs. Apparently, because of the clousure on the motorway we would be forced to go via side roads and this would cause a delay and blah blah... We protested for a moment but we got along with it. Anyway it was said to us, this is merrely a park.

Before we got to the Wall, we unexpectedlly stoped at a "factory" in one village. She said we should go inside although it was not on the program. We didn't wanted to, because we heard many stories of people being forced to buy something in such "factories". She then even got angry and threated that she will leave us there in the middle of nowhere alone if we do not go inside. This was even more suspicios to us and when she realized that she won't succeed, we continued driving to the Wall.

When arriving at the Wall we entered the cable car and went atop. She didn't go with us but promissed to pick us at the parking some hundred metters before the entrance, a few hours later. When we arrived at the top she called us via mobile and said she wouldn't be back and she would leave us there. This was obviously a revenge for not visiting that bloody "factory". When we protested she began to blackmail us, saying she would come back to pick us but we would have to visit that "factory" and also go to a kind of tea degustation. There was time to do this but not obviously for the Ming Tombs being originaly on the program. And we of course heard the stories about degustations which costed the participants lurked into it, even up to 50 or 100 euros. So we smoothly denied it.

Luckilly, there were taxis near that parking which drove us to the nearest city when we were able to take the bus back to Beijing.

So under any condition, do not take anyone offering you a tour to the Great Wall in the Forbidden City or around.

• Archeology

• Street touts

by Stever53 Written Sep 25, 2011

Wangfujing street . You get just so many guys coming up to you with " Hello , where you going.." Where you from" . Of course it is the start of a scam . After doing research on sites like this , I find the best way is to totally ignore them . Treat their words as part of the traffic noise , not requiring any response for you at all . They soon see you are not a potential victim and give up in 5 seconds .
    Even looking at them and saying "no" gives them an 'in' to start a conversation . And it will take another minute to shake them .

Fun Alternatives: However I had an experience that goes against all the warnings . Yes I was in a side street trying to buy a phone card . "Tom" spotted me and asked if he could help . My defences went up immediately . He followed me into shops and helped me ask for a phone card . Now all this is sounding like the start of a tale of woe , right ? Not so .
    He was 41 years old it turned out , and Mongolian . Not your usual scam artist . He had a business card with phone numbers and email address , and tour price list . I started to talk to him in a more relaxed way . OK to cut a long story short I booked a Forbidden city tour with him for the next day . 200rmb plus entry fees . Everything went very well . No rip off . Booked him again for next day . long trip with car to Jinshanling Great Wall . 600rmb including car , driver and Tom , plus highway tolls and entry fees . Again , everything was just fine , actually a great day as now he and I were talking like old buddies . And again two more days and day long sight seeing trips with car , driver and Tom . All went well with no rip off . Of course I could have gotten it all cheaper but I was so glad to have someone I came to trust .
    So , yes there are rip offs and if you are approached by an English speaking guy in the street , chances are you will get ripped off or annoyed . But there are other Chinese people just making an honest living offering their services to people on the street .
    So here is "Tom's" mobile number in Beijing . 12340498125 Fixed line : +86-10-81305152
    I haven't been able to get through on his email so I won't give you that . Tell him Steve the Australian sent you .

• Beware english speaks around Beijing!

by loveinJapan Written Jul 29, 2011

What happened to me was exactly like what MattXJT described. I was originally planning to go to teinamin square but was flusted with the huge crowds. Then was approached by the two men that MattXJT's described and photographed. What happened was as i was standing there looking at my map, they approached me and basically it was exactly as MAttXJT described. I still have time left in Beijing and im going to send MAttXJT's photo in to the police tomorrow and hopefully thee men will be stopped! Just like Matt i didn't think i would be tricked and thee men seemed genuine and caring. They paid for my taxi to a hutong to site see and then to the tea ceremony (they do this so you can't get the taxi receipt and find out the location of the tea house), they also tried to be in a hurrey (so i could not take location photos to use later). When they brought me to the tea house the conversation seemed really friendly and real, i told them how my dad had cancer and they did taste tests of the tea with me and pointed out which one was good to prevent caner and how i should buy it for my dad. So i said ok (thinking, everything cheap so far) and for 4 tins of tea the bill came to 1690 yuan. I said i couldn't pay at first and showed them my wallet didnt have any money, they then insisted i use my visa, but i usually never use my visa unless its in emergency, so i they said i must pay, and so they saw i had a debit card and took me an atm near by. Knowing i had alot of doubt jack took my debit card and started "showing me" how to use the debit machine in beijing and pressing buttons. I tried to stop him and slow the situation down but it was too late and my money was out, he quickly grabbed it and paid the women who did the tea ceremony for us (he also took my debit reciept and rushed me out of the atm booth). Confused and not knowing what to do, jack and tom said they would take me to the temple of heaven next, which i was further confused because i knew that it was a fixed price to enter so they seemed even more genuine now, and that maybe it was just a tea house for rich men and i got caught with an expensive bill... But as he got the taxi for me and we got to the temple, they got a phone call and had to leave.... Then it hit me... and its day 3 of 9 of my trip to beijing and i cannot enjoy a single hour. I feel betrayed, hurt, and completely stupid. People like this are scum, and make it hard for people trust one another.

Unique Suggestions: - Get all revcipts

-Take many photos of your soroundings, even if they are boring, the may help you later on

-if you meet english speaking chinese people in beijing, ignore them and politley ask them to f-off. You need to be aggressive, if they speak english they are most likley scam artists... mnay people in beijing ignore foriegners and dont speak english.

• Hiking and Walking

• Private tour guide

by Rob-once Written Nov 10, 2010

DO NOT HIRE ANY PRIVATE TOUR GUIDE. they all belong to the same scam group.They will take you to the most EXPANSIVE LUNCH restaurant to rip you.( 100rmb lunch for 800rmb) They talk to you to feel which group of wealth yoiu come from so they could see how much they could rob you. 100% of all the tour guide in CHINA are CON. They think all tourist all STUPID or RETARDED.
    BEST is to take the subway. Cheap and fast.All info in ENGLISH and CHINESE.
    I always ask my hotel front desk for any fun place when I visit new place where I stay.They are honest working people with kind heart, not like those tour guide SHARK. Looking for the KIll./

• apoldapol's Profile Photo

watch out for these scams

by apoldapol Written Nov 3, 2010

I went to Beijing lately. I got a 3-day tour package which already included the hotel, tour, food and transpo. Getting a tour package is convenient because you will be fetched from and taken to the airport without hassle of hailing a taxi or getting on the subway with your baggage.

For those who will get tour packages, watch out for these scams:

1. Jade shops - the tour guide brought us to 3 different jade shops. At first, two in our group bought some pieces. After touring the city on our own at night, we realized that the prices there were really bloated. The tour guide was just so persistent so that she will get her commission everytime one of us will buy something in these shops. One of us wanted just to buy a small piece then the tour guide who calls herself "Cristina" said that she should buy the bigger one. She was so obvious and pushy!

2. Tea house - we were also brought to a tea house near jingshan park and forbidden city. The prices were again bloated. We were made to drink for free several kinds of tea. After, we were asked what we wanted to buy. Take note: This was not originally part of the itinerary when we booked our tour package with the travel agency.

3. Tong ren tang shop/place - we were brought to this place after the Great Wall climb. we were given free massage. Then some people who were introduced as "doctors" (who were obviously frauds) came to check our pulses and said things like the boys had kidney dysfunction and the girls had dysmenorrhea. They had this RX thing where they wrote the medicine we should buy from them and how many months. They were so expensive. They also said that we should buy the pain killer they were selling as well as the tea used to soak our feet. They were all over expensive. Not one in our group of 9 bought so they look disgusted. The people there even made fun at our tour guide. Even if they said it in chinese, we knew that they laughed at her because she didnt get a commission because not one bought. The quack "doctor" who was introduced as one from Tibet checked my pulse and after i said that we will just think about buying his medicine, he look disgusted and left immediately. haha

4. Silk factory - we were also brought to this shop. there was again another demonstration on how it is made. The prices were again so bloated and expensive. Not one of us bought.

We were supposed to go the Pearl factory per our itinerary but the tour guide seemed hopeless because none of us were buying from these shops. hahaha

So, if you want to go to Beijing, just do the DIY (do it yourself) trip so that you wont waste your time in these shops. It was totally a waste of time because the tour guide hurried us up in the important tourist spots but she was all smiles when we were at the shops and said that we take our time. So disgusting!!

Just learn how to use the subway and you can tour the city on your own. Just get a 1-day tour package if you want to see the Great Wall because it is really far.

This tip serves as a warning for future travelers to this city.

Enjoy!

• AMandromeda's Profile Photo

Before Great Wall - Tour Groups go to Jade Gallery

by AMandromeda Written Jul 27, 2010

I arrived in Bejing 3 weeks ago. Beware of the stone gallery most tour groups take tourists there before the Great Wall. They claim high quality jade, especially jewelry, because they are a "government" store. It was my first stop my first week in Bejing, and I didn't know any better... I love jade and purchased a beautiful golden jade pendant with a golden Chinese symbol for love on it. It was relatively inexpensive, but still a lot of money. I wore my pendant a lot so it didn't get lost during my long time in china... I was in china a total of 3 weeks. Week two I looked down and found out that the golden symbol was gone. I called, the store told me it fell off because it was "glued" on and that is what they do, glue the gold on pendants. I mean, I'm going back tomorrow to get a replacement... however I'm upset. I have other Jade necklaces at home from the states that are inlaid with gold and nothing has ever fallen off. Glue just isn't tough enough for jewelry you are going to wear a lot! They said they will replace it (which is nice), but if I get another one with a golden decal that's "glued" on, really how long will the necklace stay that way? I wear my jewelry a lot & it probably will fall off again. I might see if I can exchange the value of this necklace for a different one without a golden character. I'll keep you updated. Please beware!

Unique Suggestions: Don't look at necklaces here! Things look beautiful, but the gold chinese characters are glued on. You are better off not looking around & going to a privately owned store that has good reviews in China. I know Hong Kong had a lot of nice jewelry stores...

Fun Alternatives: All tour groups I talked to were taken to this place by the tour company - they book tours of a lot of government places. There is no alternative other than buying a different product or nothing at all. Don't even look.... you will get tempted. It is a beautiful store & they claim high quality.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Tour scams

by muratkorman Written Apr 12, 2010

This can happen anywhere in the world. You may be overcharged for a tour, you may get a service less than what has been promised. The overall quality of the tour may be less than what you expect. However, these scams are likely to happen more in Beijing and China. If you avoid accepting tour offers from guides located in touristic attraction entrances, you already make a big step. The best way to enjoy tours is to contact trusted agencies and read suggestions from VT members. As well as showing the tourist traps, we also suggest tours that we believe are reasonable in price and good in quality.

Unique Suggestions: Once you pay the price for the tour, you have to stick to it.

Fun Alternatives: Avoid fishy tours, know the average cost, choose trusted tours suggested by VT members

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Pedi Cab Taxi's

by stevemt Written Jul 24, 2009

The pedi cab drivers can try and rip you off.

I got one the first day I was there, quoted 30rmb and at my destination he tried to get 300rmb. I (politely] of course) told him to go take a purge and walked leaving him with 30rmb. He started to get very ugly and intimidating and luckily I was at my destination.

Fun Alternatives: Taxi's are metered and very cheap - the same journey by taxi would have cost me like 15rmb (dependent of traffic of course.) Its easy to be wise after the event.

• How to get back your money from Jiu Jiu Fu

by travelbug08 Written Jul 2, 2008

We went on a trip in May'08 and on the last day, our tourist guide brought us to this JJF jewerly shop in Beijing, China. Search for jiu jiu fu on this website and u will find how tourist are trapped. Different is that the owner Mr. Lin will tell you that he's from a neighbouring country and feels a strong connection to your kinsmen. Anyways, if you do get trapped in this, and felt suspicious and did a search to find this, do not fear. At least I hope that you can solve this, coz I did and managed to get my refund back minus the management fee of a few hundred bucks. better than losing a few thousand. What can I say, its the Chinese mind of hoping to get a good deal that makes us get conned.

Anyways, collect all your receipts. I strongly recommend that you file a formal complaint as soon as possible with your tour agent that you bought the trip from, coz we did it immediately the day after next of our arrival.

Write in a proper complaint letter attached with the pictures of the jewelry bought but don't say that they are fakes. Coz usually they give the real thing but very substandard and not worth the price that they represented it for. If you say that its fake, they will ask for prove.

JJF actually has a certificate saying that they allow return of the product even after purchase without any questions asked, sort of like their motto. We were lucky enough to ask for it, coz before we left we looked for a certificate that some of the jewerly had and asked for it, but was given a certificate about their motto instead. Don't deal directly with JJF yourself. We called JJF ourselves and they first asked why we were returning it. Instead of saying that it was a fake, we said that we were not happy that there wasn't enough of time to consider the purchase and wanted to return. Initially they said that they couldn and when we qouted their motto back to them, they retracted and mentioned that they would call us back the next day. Trust me, no calls will come back.

Instead, complain to your tour group abt say that u were hurried into the buy and want a full refund else you have to bring it up to the consumer group and travel authorities. My travel agent was responsible enough to actually chase for the return and to service our calls. Lucky for us. i hope that others might also get back their refund the same way if they get caught in this.

Instant Answers: Beijing

• Jul 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM

i would suggest not going on a cheap tour if you going to place blame....Buyers beware, but sellers beware also. I find the tour was pleasant as there was 3 meals a day (wonderful dishes) and 4-5 stars hotel everyday with return airfare all for under 800USD... (which does not include BS. 50% GOV tax ; if another country besides canada , it would be good).But being that said, To all the other Chinese from other countries : BEING CHEAP DOESN"T MEAN YOU WILL GET GOOD SERVICE.So if you are cheap, and want extra services (as i seem to feel with other Bendi chineese from HK, MAL, and SING, for example) don't go cause you will whine and complain like the blokes above. Its CHina for goodness sake, It just became what it is in less than 15 years..> I wish it to be even better in the next 50. So you cheap chinese out there (and basically the entire race out side of China), don't whine, this is YOUR country!!... So either help it or just don't come back....

• Dec 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Guys please help me how to get back my money using credit card rmb60k at herbal medicine centre today for buying stupid herbs medicine for 6mths n 3mths supplies. Plssssssssssss, i'm going on the 27th dec, so please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Nov 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Nowdays there is a new scam going on. With my last visit to china they are using new tactics to force us to buy things. The tour guide would tell you that your tour fees is too low, too cheap not enough to cover their expenses, so iti is compulsary to bring you to those shopping areas to buy silk, jade, tea house and a free massage where they sell herbs.

As this is not my first trip to china , i agree cause using tour agent it is compulsary to got to such places, you can still choose not to buy anyway which what i think. I also already know all of their scam.

When i went to the first place visit , they bing me to a tea house.... the sales girl there pushing us to buy things .. all of us are very firm not to buy anything .. we escape from the so call shoping. We next proceed to the next shop .. in the bus the tour guide started to tell story that our country tour agent has agree to them that we must spend at least a feww hundred per person in each of the shopping area. He could not proceed to bring us anywhere if we do not buy anything like it or not you must at least buy something to cover their expenses for your trip as this shop also provided for your tour and your stay as your trip here is too cheap. which could not cover even the 4 star hotel stay and food they provide.

We got no choice buy to buy something in the shop. We choose the cheapest thing to buy and go away.