Public bus, Beijing

Know about this? Rate It!

• Beijing buses

by mke1963 Written Jan 30, 2005

Beijing buses cover every part of the city, but it can be difficult to get information about routes.
    The Beijing public transport authority has a web site with information in English and a %L{http://www.bjbus.com/map_e/mappage.asp]'zoomable' map to help you find your way around.

As a little snippet of information, the BPTC has almost 18,000 buses. If you parked them end to end, they would stretch for 216km .

• Sally_chen's Profile Photo

Bus service

by Sally_chen Written Feb 24, 2004

If you want to go to some tourist site around Beijing by bus , it's easy!
    Logo on www.bjbus.com , click "english" , you can find how to go to various parts of great wall and other sites out of Beijing , also the ticket price is listed .
    This service is run by Beijing municipal government, it's safe and reliable!

The site is quite clear, take the hot line number, ask the hotel staff to help you if you need information .

• bazoeker's Profile Photo

Visit Badaling on public transport

by bazoeker Updated Jan 14, 2007

Main street of Badaling - empty but not usually!

I have read from others about joining tour buses to Badaling and how:
    1. the time spent is limited at the Great Wall
    2. have to go to Ming's tomb
    3. have to spend plenty of time at 'shopping' places
    4 costs about 20euros.

So I decided to go there independently but found the information on the web to be rather scarce. Hopefully some info here will help others to this otherwise absolutely amazing place!

The bus which goes to Badaling from Beijing is 919. But there are several versions of 919 and the one that we want is 919 'kuai' (express). The bus stop is at Deshengmen, which is located close to Jisuitan metro station. So the directions are the following:

Go to Jisuitan metro station. From one exit (sorry did not note down which one) turn right and walk along the road. You should see a pedestrian overhead bridge some distance away (like in the photo). Walk further down the road so that you can cross over and take the overhead bridge and get to the other side of the road. Continue to walk along the same direction (you will probably see other 919s at this stage but ignore them) until you reach a bend to the left and a nice looking building looms ahead of you. Continue walking for about 50m and you will see a 919 signboard across the road, bwhind the large building. That is the bus that you will need to take. Crossing the road is a challenge, you may want to cross before you turn left at the bend.

The bus itself is a little small, and space may be tight. It costs 12yuan for each journey, and Badaling is the second stop (the first stop is Juyonguan). I do not know the schedule but I arrived at 8am and the bus left almost immediately. My return trip I arrived at ~12pm and again there was already a bus there. I have the feeling that the driver tries to wait until the bus is almost full before departing but I may be wrong. The journey takes about an hour each way.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Great Wall and the Ming Tombs

by herzog63 Written Sep 24, 2003

Bus ticket to Great Wall and Ming Tombs

I got up early around 6:30 am to get my butt to Qianman Square to find a bus that was going to the Great Wall at Badaling and the Ming Tombs. I had been told that the buses leave about 7:30 am so I got there early to ensure I could get a seat. There was a guy there (tout) that spoke a little English and I told him where I wanted to go and he directed me to the correct booth. My ticket to the Wall and the Ming Tombs cost 6 RMB (US$1.20) That didn't include admission to the sites the 6 RMB was just for the bus. Very Cheap!! This was on a Chinese Tour bus and there was actually a person on the bus telling about what we were seeing through a loudspeaker! (Lucky for me, I had the back seat!!) but unfortuantly I didn't understand a word of it!! It was great as there were a couple of people on the bus that spoke a little English and they were trying to be helpful and explain but it didn't really matter to me. I was enjoying the sights! It was very,very cold on the day that I chose to go!! One of the bad things about taking this sort of transportation is the time allowed at the sights! I only had about an hour at the Ming Tombs which was plenty for me. And we had 80 minutes at the Great Wall which was kind of short for me. I couldn't see much at the Great Wall anyways as the Fog was so thick!!

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Wonderful adventure to get to the Summer Palace!

by herzog63 Written Sep 24, 2003

Summer Palace

My new found friend Kimmo from Sweden and I made some plans to visit the Summer Palace. We checked out of the hotel we were staying at and brought our back packs to the train station to store them for the day. Then we went to the newly opened Subway to get to the Lama Temple to visti it on the way but we got off at the wrong stop! We hopped on a bus when we couldn't find our way there. We also tried asking a few people and that didn't work either! We had a bus map and found the bus that was going to the Summer Palace so we hopped on that! It took us three and a half hours to get there!! LOL Normal time is about one and half hours on the public bus! We had a very warm day for this and lucky I wore my clothes in layers and was able take a few off. The day before it was Very cold! In the photo is a picture of the Long Corridor. It is a 7228 Meter long corridor with paintings of Mythical Scenes. Very nice and interesting.

• Castles and Palaces

• Lemonita's Profile Photo

Bus in Beijing

by Lemonita Written Jul 30, 2003

To take the bus in Beijing (or in China) can be an experience in itself. Indeed, they are often over-crowded but it's interesting to do as the locals and not be afraid of it.

On every bus there is a person whose main role is to sale tickets. However, a few bus lines don't have a person selling tickets and it is written on bus windows. In these cases, we need to give the exact amount.

Bus routes are pretty complexed but thanks to the "route board" at each station, we can easily find our way. Or, ask the ticket person if the bus goes to your destination, it's the safest way to make sure it's right. So when you buy your ticket, you have to tell your destination to the ticket person.

There are different prices following the distance and the type of bus (air conditionned buses are of course more expensive). Generally, it ranges from 1to 5 RMB.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Public Buses

by chewy3326 Written Nov 27, 2005

While taxis may be way more convenient, taking the Beijing public bus system can allow you to meet locals as well as saving you many yuan. A typical ride costs Y1. However, it's essential for you to know your Chinese, because all signs along the bus routes are basically in Chinese. You can basically find a bus stop anywhere in the city, making it very easy to access.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Getting To The Wall

by keeweechic Written Jun 15, 2004

If you want to go to the Badaling part of the Great Wall then you either take a tour or you can take a minibus No 919 from Deshengmen (next to the Jishuitan Subway stop). The last bus leaves Badaling for Beijing at 6.30pm. When my brother visited Beijing the tour was cancelled due to an unusual snow fall, he and another guy took a taxi to the wall and back. You can hire a taxi with an 8 hours for a maximum of 4 people. This maybe a good alternative in sharing costs and having a car at your disposal for the day.

• yangzhigong's Profile Photo

Cheapest bus of China

by yangzhigong Written Aug 6, 2007

If you working or living for a long time in Beijing, go anywhere by bus is the cheapest way, you should pay ony 1 RMB every time, and if you buy a IC bus card, it will give you a 60% discount, that is to say, 0.4 RMB every time.

you may check all bus line and station information in website, but at frist, you should learn Chinese hard :)

• susanpingu's Profile Photo

Bus 919 to Badaling

by susanpingu Updated Mar 20, 2008

Walk from Deshengmen bus stop (next pic)

First of all, thanks to other Vters who provided detailed info (and pics) on getting to Badaling by Bus 919 (sorry your names escape me at the moment but hey! you got my top ratings).

My sister and I took the bus to Deshengmen and walked a few short minutes to the tower building where Bus 919 originates. Note: if you take the subway, the nearest subway station is about 15-20 mins walk.

There are three places where you will see buses numbered 919, and not all of them go to Badaling. We chanced on the first parking lot with buses numbered 919 but were told it did not go to Badaling. The next place we tried was a bus stop just behind the (first) parking lot. Bus 919 stopped there and passengers were getting off but we were not allowed to board. We were mystified. To make matters worse, there was a man telling us it cost 20 RMB to get to Badaling by the 'slow' bus and 40 RMB by 'fast' bus (scam, no doubt).

I knew the correct fare was 12 RMB so we ignored him. I asked the next bus driver where to get the right bus and he pointed to the direction beside the tower building, well out of sight from where we were standing. Sure enough, the right one was just a minute's walk from where we were!

So depending on which direction you are coming from towards the tower, you may be lucky and hit the right parking lot for Bus 919 the first time. We only got the right one after the third round :- l

• MickeH's Profile Photo

Bus - cheap, but harder

by MickeH Written Sep 21, 2005

Two of many buses on the streets of Beijing

There are a huge number of bus lines in Beijing. Wherever you want to go, a bus will take you there.
    And the price can't get any lower, just 1 yuan for a ticket. 2 yuan if the bus is airconditioned.
    But all the signs and timetables are in chinese so it is very hard to find what bus to take.
    And it can be just as hard knowing where to get off.

So if you can learn to find your way around using the bus it will be the cheapest way certainly, but we had to rely on taxi and subway for our visit.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Getting around the city by public buses

by xuessium Updated Jul 28, 2007

YiKaTongStoreValueCard

The public buses are surprisingly cooler as most of the buses are air-conditioned (for summer). Most buses plying the centre of the city has a flat fare of 1 RMB, regardless of distance though be prepared to pay 1RMB or 1.50RMB more if you're going further.

Simply flag the bus down and dump your money into the cashbox by the side of the driver or flash your card on a "Yi Ka Tong" or IC Card sensor to have your fare deducted.

Specific numbers ply specific routes. There is a bus conductor on the bus (usually) shouting the name of the next destination, though the more modern buses have electronic signs inside the bus as well, displaying the name of the next stop in English.

I hardly saw any westerners taking the buses. I would assume the language barrier is a daunting dam to overcome. But if you think you have guts and willing to try it out, well, give it a heave ho!

TIP
    There is a store-value card called "Yi Ka Tong" (or IC Cards) you can purchase. This card will allow you to travel on both public buses and the Beijing Metro for a period of time or as long as you have money in the card! Save me the hassle of hunting down coins and small changes. It's kinda like the Octopus Card of Hong Kong and the Ezylink card of Singapore. There is a 20RMB deposit (which you can claim back from IC Card outlets) and on top of that, any amount of money you wish to add, depending on how much you think you're going to spend.

You get through the gates of the subway and board and alight the buses by flashing the card on a sensor and your fare will be automatically deducted.

• Business Travel

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

Downtown Beijing to Mutianyu Great Wall

by sugarpuff Written May 21, 2009

I took this trip in Feb this year and had some problems trying to find the bus but fortunately I speak Chinese so any problems were soon cleared up!!! So I can give you all the info I know. I live at Dongzhimen so the walk wasnt too bad. Yes, basically get out of Dongzhimen subway exit B and it is literally there, the bus stop that is!! You will see the Airport Express entrance right there also. Now for the tricky part..there are SEVERAL 916# buses...yes, not so clever I know!! They have the same deal with 918# buses...dont ask me why!!

Basically there is the 916# that goes to every stop imaginable and takes forever, then there is the 916# air conditioned bus which stops at quite a few places along the way and then finally there is the 916# which is the fast one and doesnt stop that often according to the bus stop sign!!! I took the air conditioned one even though I didnt need air conditioning because it was Feb, but it was the first one that turned up that wasn't full (a popular route). It took about 2 hours to get there. I asked the bus lady to let me know which stop to get off at for Mutianyu Great Wall and she did. Before you get to that stop however you will have taxi touts jumping on the bus and trying to convince you to take their 'black' cabs. My friend who was with me said that if she hadnt been with me, a Chinese speaking person, she would have been so confused and would have probably got off at that point! The thing with Chinese people is that they dont tend to help you that often and so I had to keep asking the bus lady "is this the stop?" as I thought we were maybe going past it, but she didnt tell me that the taxi drivers were illegal and again, if I HADNT been living in China for so long, I would have probably got off the bus and gone with the taxi drivers....anyway..finally we got to the stop..I think I have it written down somewhere..I'll look for it and get back to you...

Then we hired a mini van which cost us about 60RMB return. You will have to bargain with him and dont pay him until youre back at the bus stop later that day. Set a time you will be coming back down the wall and if you have a phone, take his number so you can call him in case your plans change..not that he will understand your english of course!!!hahah..sorry!

Mutianyu doesnt tend to have crowds and it really is very beautiful..far more so than Badaling which is like a Disneyworld.

Any other questions, please ask!

• adoc's Profile Photo

Buses are extensive, incredibly cheap, but...

by adoc Updated May 3, 2008

Packed bus

Buses are extensive and incredibly cheap, but...

- buses can be very packed during rush hour s (7am-9am; 17pm-19pm)
    - buses are unlikely on schedule
    - bus stop signs are in Chinese only
    - neither bus driver nor conductor understand English

• nattybabe's Profile Photo

Cheap and comprehensive bus system

by nattybabe Written Jun 5, 2007

Buses are extremely comprehensive and cheap (starting from Y1) but can get extremely crowded and all the routes are in Chinese. Bus maps are available to help you out or ask your hotel for which bus you should take for the appropriate destination.

Instant Answers: Beijing