Chongqing Restaurants

Your Host, Tina.
    by Kiwi303
  • Restaurants
    by easterntrekker
  • International-Chinese CARREFOUR breakfast ;-)
    International-Chinese CARREFOUR...
    by tremendopunto

Most Recent Restaurants in Chongqing

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Lot's of them to choose from...: Beer

by herzog63 Updated Oct 11, 2003

Well back in the days of early 1987 I was still a Beer drinker. I sampled plenty of the local brew along the way. Sometimes it seemed easier to find than tea!! And the big bottles were very inexpensive too. The beers that I bought generally cost me between 7 mao and 1.2 Kwai (US$.13 -.23 cents). This is a label from one of the local beers found in the Sichuan Province.

Beer Label

Everywhere: Yummy Snack....

by herzog63 Updated Oct 11, 2003

Steamed Dumplings (Jiao Xi I think) make a Great snack or even a good hot meal! If you see the steam there's gotta be something good cooking under there. There are several types and you will probably have to sample them to figure out which ones you like best! There aren't Free samples but they are cheap enough to purchase. I never ate one that I didn't like!!

Steamed Dumplings

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Don't remember: Great guy that ran this place!!

by herzog63 Updated Oct 11, 2003

This was one of the great "Fun Experience" restaurants for me!! The first time I went in I sat down and the owner brought me a menu....Hmmm it was in Chinese!! haha I don't read Chinese except the toilet and a couple of other essentials so I looked around and spotted the door to the kitchen...so I motioned to the guy if it was ok for me to go into the kitchen. He was a friendly sort so he said "ok" or I think he said "ok". I opened up his refrigerator and pointed to a few things for him to mix up and "shazam" he made it for me! I ended up going back a couple other times and was the "guest of honor" each time. He would try kicking out other patrons to make space for me but I would always be saying "no don't leave" and just joined them at their table. It ended up being a great fun each time. Again, it's too bad that I didn't know more Chinese or they didn't speak English. We had some great laughs sharing food and then having them ask me questions in Chinese. When thye figured out that I couldn't understand one of got the great idea to write the questions down for me to read...Hahaha Well the questions were also written in Chinese!!! More laughs!!

Favorite Dish: Anything the guy made. I don't remember what I ate. And it was very cheap.It was quite a walk from my guest house to come here but the experience was worth every step!!

Great Guy!!

• MacKiwi's Profile Photo

MacKiwi's Restaurant Tip

by MacKiwi Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite Dish: My favoutite Chinese food is SZECHUAN cuisine. Chongqing in in Szechuan province and the dishes
    are distinguisted by the clever use of various spices. Spicy ingredients such as fennel seed, chilli, coriander are often applied to the hot dishes. Chicken, river fish, shelfish, smoked duck are popular in China. Be careful though. Szechuan food can be extraordinarily HOT!!!!!!! You have been warned.

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Louhan Temple Cafe - Restaurant: A vegetarian's paradize!

by darthmilmo Written Sep 11, 2002

Too much temple watching makes me hungry :). So, what a better place to eat than a buddist temple's restaurant. I must confess, I am not a vegetarian, but this place gets two thumps off from this omnivore. I'd definitly recommend it to anyone wanting to taste the good local food in this temple.

• cissy4170's Profile Photo

Chaffy dish

by cissy4170 Written Sep 6, 2002

Chongqing is famous for its chaffy dish, which is cook food in the spicy soup. It is hot and spicy, In summer, people get together to enjoy the chaffy dish, drinking icy beer. Wow, it is a kind of FABULOUS life!

• dayfiel's Profile Photo

Chongqing boiling wok of oil-...

by dayfiel Updated Aug 26, 2002

Chongqing boiling wok of oil- cook your own restaurant.
    This is a cook your own dish. Diners order raw ingredients off a menu [no english] and cook their own in a large wok of boiling sechuen spiced oil that is the centre piece of your table . While you are cooking everything up you can munch on pumpkin seeds with the best part being you just spit the mouldy ones and the shells on the floor along with any bones and other inedible bits.After boiling your chookfeet and veges in the oil and when you think it is done - pick it out and cool it in a bowl of cold oil and enjoy-yummo! .

Favorite Dish: Chickens Feet boiled in spicy oil.

• hatter10_6's Profile Photo

hatter10_6's Restaurant Tip

by hatter10_6 Written Aug 25, 2002

Well, Si Chuan state is known for its hot food. Ma la guo is, well, very hot. Spicy to the extreme. extreme, I mean extreme. Usually you get a pot of dark redish oily soupy thing, with a few chillies swimming around in boiling liquid. You order, or collect from a buffet, dishes that you would like to cook. Well, dishes include snakes, turtles, eels, and all kinds of internal organs. Of course, you get vegetables and normal meat too. Oh, you usually get unlimited softdrinks.
    Once you have something from that pot, you lose all your senses of taste. Your taste buds feel as if they have been squatting for 6 hours, covered with piercing but tolerable pain. I don't think there is a word in English that describes the feeling, the closest one is 'tinkling'.
    A trick of quickly alleviating this pain is drink milk. Softdrinks, especially bubbly ones, only worsen the feeling. Milk takes away the oily spicy that reamins on your tongue.
    Sometimes, you can get 'yuan yang guo'. Yuan-Yang is a type of bird that often fly together. Yuan-Yang guo, is a hot pot divided into two sides, one side hot, one side not. Sit on the white side.

Favorite Dish: Hot pots, aka, 'Ma La Guo'

• LAOWAI's Profile Photo

The muslim noodle restaraunt...

by LAOWAI Updated Aug 25, 2002

The muslim noodle restaraunt on Martyr's Tomb road was our favorite joint. But really, the best foos was to be bought from Carrefore in town.
    No fingernail shavings.

Favorite Dish: Another great ChongQing dish is Guo Ba Ryo Pian- a pot of saucy veggy and beef pured over a bed of rice crackers- SNAP CRACKLE POP.

• hohxil's Profile Photo

In Chongqing, the most famous...

by hohxil Written Aug 24, 2002

In Chongqing, the most famous food is Chongqing Huoguo, Hot-pot. You could find it anywhere. However, if you enjoy it in a larger restraurant, you will have a nicer Huoguo.
    hot, spicy but delicious

Favorite Dish: Any meat, vegetable can be served with Huoguo

• zheyy's Profile Photo

zheyy's Restaurant Tip

by zheyy Written Aug 24, 2002

If you ask me:What's the most unique cuisine of Chongqing? I will definitely answer - HOT POT!

Various meat, vegetables, even can-foods...are put into a pot, boiled in special soup. Boiling time depends on how you like the food's taste would be, or the necessary time for different kind of foods. The soup is absolutely the 'point' of hot-pot. You can imagine, the main taste right depends on the taste of soup. Usually hop-pot is very very spicy!- that's also why it's famous ^^. However, light-taste, chichen soup, fish soup...are also used to meet differnt favor of people. So if you don't prefer spicy food, don't worry, I bet you can find at least one type suitable for you :).

Favorite Dish: (More pics are in Travelogue ^^)

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Noodle factory in Dazu

by nepalgoods Updated Oct 21, 2005

Try the fresh noodles directly from a small noodlefactory! Here you can see them drying in the air. This kind of noodle-production I have only seen in Dazu.

Favorite Dish: Noodles, noodles, noodles...

Dazu

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Shun Feng 123: Yummy! Yummy!

by Bob_Shan Written Jun 8, 2004

The most popular one in Nan Bing Rd., at the south bank of Yangtz river.
    In which, you can enjoy typical Chong Qing Flavor with very reasonable price. Usually RMB 50 per capita.

Shun Feng 123
    • Business Travel

Same as the other restaurant: Great Local Food

by herzog63 Updated Oct 11, 2003

I just wanted to add this picture too. It is from the first guys restaurant. I would love to go back and find him again someday! It's experiences like this that make traveling so great for me!!

Local Sichuan Food

Instant Answers: Chongqing

Comments

Chongqing Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Chongqing restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chongqing sightseeing.