Chongqing Restaurants

Your Host, Tina.
    by Kiwi303
  • Restaurants
    by easterntrekker
  • International-Chinese CARREFOUR breakfast ;-)
    International-Chinese CARREFOUR...
    by tremendopunto

Best Rated Restaurants in Chongqing

• modacraft's Profile Photo

Fritto fried ice cream: Don't miss the Fresh Fried ice cream

by modacraft Updated Sep 28, 2005

Nice setup, unique striking red back ground.

Favorite Dish: Ice cream are getting more popular and favourable to customer because of its rich nutrition composition and unique mouth feel, flavour and shape, it's one of those truly extraordinary desserts that still excites. Finally an unusual ice cream “fritto fried ice cream” a kind of nutrition food has quietly arrived to the mountain city. Served “in the form of heart shape, crumbled into thin flakes” that is hot and crusty on the outside and cold and softly melting on the inside, makes fervent and ice-cold feeling at the same time, it is marvellous and infinite. This come from Italy “fritto fried ice cream” with your curiosity and fantasy you simply must try . And why not? ...It tastes delicious

• School Holidays

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Lot's of them to choose from...: Beer

Beer Label

Well back in the days of early 1987 I was still a Beer drinker. I sampled plenty of the local brew along the way. Sometimes it seemed easier to find than tea!! And the big bottles were very inexpensive too. The beers that I bought generally cost me between 7 mao and 1.2 Kwai (US$.13 -.23 cents). This is a label from one of the local beers found in the Sichuan Province.

Xi Hua Hotel: Cool Rooftop Garden

Chongqing

There is a nice rooftop garden setting at the Si Hua Hotel. All I had there was breakfast and several cups of tea while I wrote postcards for family and friends. I did meet up with a Dutch guy named Ger that ended up on the same ferry boat going down the Yangtze that I was on.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

18 Stairs Teahouse: Great Teahouse

by tremendopunto Updated May 26, 2005

the best teahouse of Chongqing

My first tip is one of the best Tea Houses I have ever seen in China. It is called 18 Stairs Teahouse, but it is not too difficult to find. Itis situated in the Yuzhong District, close to Jiefang Bei. From JiefangBei walk down the MinquanLu to the round about or rotary traffic meeting the XinhuaLu (10 minutes walking). From this traffic circle you take the second street on the right side, which is called ZhongxingLu and heads down to the ChangJiang, but it is already the second building 100 meters on the left side of the road (from there you look down on to an older part of Chongqing. From the outside you donot realize that it is a Teahouse (if you can not read Chinese of course) and it looks so small you only see one storey. But if you enter you will find another world.
    There are three more storeys downstairs, because it is situated on the hangside to an older quarter of Chongqing. Everything is decorated with antiques, woodcarvings, bamboo, calligraphies, buddhas and so on. In summer time you can enjoy a nice terrace, lovely decorated, with a view over the mentioned old quarter all the way to the ChangJiang (if they havent built 10 new skyscrapers by now, you never know in Chongqing). On the lower floors they have a little well running like a river through the floor, so that you have to do some stone-stepping to reach the other side with dry feet, Im serious. You can choose between cosy corners, private rooms or normal tables but you always feel very comfartable. I dont have to mention the Tea quality in a Chinese Tea House, do I?
    Here I used to take a break with a relaxing cup of tea after a tough bargain at the Antique Market down the street, which is my second tip for Chongqing.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Chongqing Hotpot

by nepalgoods Written Oct 23, 2005

Chongqing Hotpot

Chongqing's cuisine belongs to Sichuan Cuisine. So every food is very spicey and hot, hot, hot! We got the Chongqing Hotpot with two varieties. Fortunately there was not only the very hot Hotpot but also a bowl with a miold soup. We could put all the nice meat, fish and vegetables into hot soup or mild soup. Very good! I like hot and spicy food, but this was almost not bearable! I coughed and coughed and coughed. But I liked it!

• Business Travel

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

CARREFOUR breakfast

by tremendopunto Updated Nov 26, 2006

International-Chinese CARREFOUR breakfast ;-)

Ok, ok, I always stick to the local stuff wherever I am........but I couldnt eat MenTou or soup every morning.........the huge CARREFOUR supermarket made me betray my own guiding principle. I just couldnt resist the crunchy baguette - but in combination with my beloved Dragon Fruit ;-)

If you get the feeling for a one-stop-shop with everything you can imagine or even miss from home walk down the Minzhu Lu from the JiefangBei monument for 5-10 minutes, past the Intercontinental Hotel until the end of this road (crossing) - you cant miss it.
    Bon appetite!

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Don't remember: Great guy that ran this place!!

Great Guy!!

This was one of the great "Fun Experience" restaurants for me!! The first time I went in I sat down and the owner brought me a menu....Hmmm it was in Chinese!! haha I don't read Chinese except the toilet and a couple of other essentials so I looked around and spotted the door to the kitchen...so I motioned to the guy if it was ok for me to go into the kitchen. He was a friendly sort so he said "ok" or I think he said "ok". I opened up his refrigerator and pointed to a few things for him to mix up and "shazam" he made it for me! I ended up going back a couple other times and was the "guest of honor" each time. He would try kicking out other patrons to make space for me but I would always be saying "no don't leave" and just joined them at their table. It ended up being a great fun each time. Again, it's too bad that I didn't know more Chinese or they didn't speak English. We had some great laughs sharing food and then having them ask me questions in Chinese. When thye figured out that I couldn't understand one of got the great idea to write the questions down for me to read...Hahaha Well the questions were also written in Chinese!!! More laughs!!

Favorite Dish: Anything the guy made. I don't remember what I ate. And it was very cheap.It was quite a walk from my guest house to come here but the experience was worth every step!!

Everywhere: Yummy Snack....

Steamed Dumplings

Steamed Dumplings (Jiao Xi I think) make a Great snack or even a good hot meal! If you see the steam there's gotta be something good cooking under there. There are several types and you will probably have to sample them to figure out which ones you like best! There aren't Free samples but they are cheap enough to purchase. I never ate one that I didn't like!!

• MacKiwi's Profile Photo

MacKiwi's Restaurant Tip

by MacKiwi Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite Dish: My favoutite Chinese food is SZECHUAN cuisine. Chongqing in in Szechuan province and the dishes
    are distinguisted by the clever use of various spices. Spicy ingredients such as fennel seed, chilli, coriander are often applied to the hot dishes. Chicken, river fish, shelfish, smoked duck are popular in China. Be careful though. Szechuan food can be extraordinarily HOT!!!!!!! You have been warned.

Juggies: American Food

by tjstorck Written Nov 4, 2004

An American Cafe. It is very bland in surroundings and has that American diner feel about it. Often frequented by young Americans and old alike. Chef is a Hawaiian called Cliff. Cliff is very welcoming and would almost cook you anything American if you asked.
    We have not yet eaten here but have heard it is good. Cafe turns into bar at night after food has been served. Great place to meet up with friends and drink the night away.

Favorite Dish: Ribs are supposed to be very good

Korean Restaurant: Korean BBQ

by tjstorck Updated Jul 5, 2004

Address card

Fantastic food. BBQ grills built into table. Staff cook your food for you. Meat very tender and tasty
    Ask for the English menu. They do have one - an expat got it translated for them

Favorite Dish: Everything- all fresh - never a bad experience

Thai Home Restaurant: Thai Dream

by tjstorck Written Nov 4, 2004

Absolute heaven! A lovely restaurant set in the middle of town. The ambience is truely Thai and the food is very good. Nice to see an ethic restaurant in China.
    We have been here several times and each time we could not fault the food, or service.

Favorite Dish: Pineapple rice - very tasty
    Crab cakes - yummy

Seafood Restaurant: The Best Seafood in South West China

by tjstorck Written Jul 23, 2004

Map to Seafood restaurant

Very impressed from the moment we walked in. Typical chinese style seafood restaurant with fish tanks featuring live fish, lobster, prawns etc...
    The restaurant is huge with a big dining hall plus private rooms on the 2nd floor.
    It is very easy to order if you don't speak the language - just point to the tank of fish you require and they will get the message.
    The restaurant also serves meat and chicken just in case you don't like seafood.
    Very pleasant dining atmosphere but the light get truned down at approx 9.30pm hinting to customers it is time to go home.

Favorite Dish: Soft shell prawns:
    Cooked to perfection - heads cut off so no mucking around - they almost melt in your mouth

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Louhan Temple Cafe - Restaurant: A vegetarian's paradize!

by darthmilmo Written Sep 11, 2002

Too much temple watching makes me hungry :). So, what a better place to eat than a buddist temple's restaurant. I must confess, I am not a vegetarian, but this place gets two thumps off from this omnivore. I'd definitly recommend it to anyone wanting to taste the good local food in this temple.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Chongqing Restaurants: Try the chicken

by easterntrekker Written Nov 7, 2007

Favorite Dish: Chongqing is famous for its hot Sichuan cuisine and world-famous hotpot dishes. We got a chance to sample some of the dishes at lunch and it was pretty enjoyable. A cold beer is necessary to wash it down!!
    I liked the chicken better than the fish , The fish is prepared with all the bones intact and I don't have the skill to remove them!

Instant Answers: Chongqing

Comments

Chongqing Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Chongqing restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chongqing sightseeing.