Xiamen Restaurants

• cal6060's Profile Photo

MISS ZHAO'S CAKE AND TEA & SHOP: Local Cafe

by cal6060 Written Feb 16, 2013
    MISS ZHAO'S CAKE AND TEA & SHOP, Gulangyu

I had tea and bakery in this cafe. It is a classical and a nice cafe to hang out to taste the local bakery with coffee and cake or tea. At the front of the cafe, they have a take out counter of its pastry, and shop selling the cafe's souvenirs.

Miss Zhao was born in a rich family of Gulangyu, the island of Xiamen and had migrated to Southeast Asia together with her family in the 60's. Her descendants opened the shop named "Mss Zhao" in Gulangyu to commemorate her.

Check out its website.

Favorite Dish: Tea & pineapple pastry.

• piglet44's Profile Photo

Indiano John's Samrat: Authentic Indian food in the heart of Xiamen

by piglet44 Written Dec 19, 2012

So if you live in China or have been here for a while sometimes you get a craving for some other kind of food. In my case (coming from London!) it was Indian and so when my neighbour mentioned this place we decided to go there to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. The location is a bit bizarre,not in a tourist area and not that convenient for where we live,but for real Indian food we made the effort. We got there at the strange time of 3pm too late for lunch and too early for dinner so of course the place was deserted except for the employees. But John welcomed us in and made us feel very comfortable and recommended some dishes to us. Very soon we were sitting in front of a huge pile of wonderful food-Chicken Biryani, Chicken Tikka Masala, nan,Aloo Gobi,papadums and relishes,as well as some Qingdao local beer. All was excellent and we were served very quickly and courteously. John is a lovely guy and the restaurant decor is warm,with deep red and brown colours, and even though we were the only diners we felt welcome and comfortable and the atmosphere was great.
    WE will not hesitate to return. Price was 200RMB total for a couple including beer.Oh and we got complimentary chai and rice dessert.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Biryani it's my favourite.

• Aileen's Cafe: Fresh roasted coffee beans daily.

by mikebull Written Nov 17, 2011

This place is brand new, and will open soon, but I had the luxury to try it out already as I know the owner and it's amazing. They roast their coffee beans every morning and have the freshest coffee I've ever had, and not just in China that is. Aileen's cafe is actually more than just coffee they call it a cafe and wine bar meaning if your looking for a nice patio to sit out at night with a glass of Merlot this is the place. The food is simple as the place is small so they stick to sandwiches and gyros or wraps as they call them, which are really fresh and delicious. I've lived here in Xiamen for 9 years and all I can say is that I am so happy they've opened and so close to my house.

One more thing to mention is it's a little hard to find, as it's on a side street in Qian pu by the Hua lin bus stop, if you search google maps it's right beside an English center called Mike's English so that should help.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the chicken ceasar wrap. So yummy.

• Work Abroad
    • Wine Tasting

• Coyote Cafe' and Cantina: Mexican Food in Xiamen

by ru1212us Written Apr 2, 2010
    outside as you see Coyote from the lake

This is one of the best Western style restaurants located in Xiamen, serving up real Mexican food, great Margaritas and some special items that are not Mexican; but by popular demand of their loyal customers they did it......like UK Style Fish & Chips, a few Pizzas, Hamburgers and Hot Dogs.....Grilled and last but not least, the best Cheesecake. Great relaxing atmosphere overlooking the lake. www.coyotecafe.asia

Favorite Dish: Fajitas....you can tell that fresh ingredients are used, they even make their own sour cream and the grilled tortillas add a wonderful flavor.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

• THLIN's Profile Photo

Peanut Candy Roll: Street Food

by THLIN Written Apr 13, 2009

This is one of my favourite street snacks when I was in Taiwan. Now I am glad to find the same thing in China, although it is not that delicious comparing to those at home, I would still want to recommend you.
    Inside there is peanut candy powder, cilantro, and ice cream. Sweet and a little bit salty, it combine both flavour perfectly.

• THLIN's Profile Photo

Huang Ze He Peanut Soup Shop: Peanut Soup

by THLIN Written Apr 6, 2009

The most famous peanut soup in town. Mr. Huang started up his food stand around 1940s. From a food stand to a small chain restaurant in Xiamen, I believe this is great success.
    The only thing I really want to complain about this place is their service. That is why I lower their rank, since I can find similar food somewhere else with a lot better service provided.

Favorite Dish: It is believe that they are selling the best peanut soup in town; other than that, the price is cheap. Each cup only cost RMB2. For me as a Southern, this is perfect, but for my colleague who are from the North, they do not really like it since it is too sweet for them.

Huang Zhe He eatery: Peanut soup and local snacks

by jackiesg Updated Jan 2, 2009
    Peanut soup and deep fried spring roll.

Huang Zhe He eatery, is famous for it's peanut soup.

Always so crowded everyday, Huang Zhe He serves a good variety of local snacks, all kinds of buns, kuays, dumplings, noodles and of course, the peanut soup.

I've tried their peanut soup and deep fried spring roll but it was not as delicious as I've heard about them. The peanut soup was too sweet for me but I guess it's very individual about this.

Favorite Dish: I love the variety served in this eatery but I was too full that day to try them.

• School Holidays

• jackiesg's Profile Photo

Stalls along the streets: Popiah!

by jackiesg Written Jan 2, 2009
    A popiah selling lady

Have you ever tried a snack called Popiah? It can be considered vegetarian as it's soft, thin dough( not sure if it's rice or wheat)skin wrapped with vegetables like bean sprouts, carrots shreds, cabbages, green veges and peanut bits and eggs. you can choose to have sweet sauce or chili paste in it.

It's a rare find in China for me since I can never find it in Guangzhou. The one I tried, in one of the small alleys in Zhongshan road, was not as yummy as those back in Singapore but good enough to satisfy my thirst for popiah away from Singapore.

Cost only $2rmb for one. Good and cheap.

• School Holidays

In Nan Pu Tuo temple: Vegetarian food

by jackiesg Written Jan 2, 2009
    Vegetarian Food

I've read from the website that Nan Pu Tuo temple has good vegetarian food and so I went. Went into a restaurant that serves ala carte and set lunches and so we decided on a set lunch of 5 dishes.

The set lunch was quite good, not too salty or oily but not cheap too. The set luch of 5 dishes (4 dish and a soup) cost $120 rmb and the portion are not big. Well, suitable for 3 person, maybe.

After lunch did we realise there's more than one restaurant in the temple. The other restaurant looked even more grand than the one we had tried.

Favorite Dish: In the set lunch, they have this yam paste dish that is yummy. In chinese, we call it the Aor Ni.

• Religious Travel

• Coyote Cafe': Wow Mexcian food in Xiamen

by ru1212us Written Nov 12, 2008

Finally a Mexican....all Mexican restaurant in Xiamen. Great setting, near the lake, near Marco Polo and not where all the "coffee" shops are located.....go, the opposite direction to get there. From the Marco Polo, turn left....walk past True Love Bar....continue to walk until you arrive at Sunmile Bakery.....turn left here...this is a small road and walk down to the end...you will be at the lakeside and right there on the corner is Coyote. Inside is wonderful....more like a modern Mexican theme...but having the colors and textured walls like in Mexico. And the view of the lake or the park is really relaxing. Good food....everything I tried was very good....and the drinks, well let's say the Margarita was one of the best that I have ever had. Friendly staff and good service.

Favorite Dish: Hard to define this, as all that I have tried has been wonderful....but, I must say, if you like steak...I think this is the best steak in Xiamen......grilled and with some type of Mexican sauce over it. One thing that is not on the menu, but the staff tells you is their Cheesecake....again this must be the best in Xiamen....China???? Anyway, do not be afraid to try anything, it all looks good.

• Business Travel
    • Water Sports
    • Study Abroad

• claude-andre's Profile Photo

I don't rember the name: Seafood - a must

by claude-andre Updated Apr 29, 2008

scallops

If you like seafood, this restaurant is a must. You choose your fishes and other seafood that are very fresh (Xiamen has a very good reputation for its seafood).
    It has a terrace, very agreable in hot evenings.

Favorite Dish: We liked everything. When you don't know how to eat what you ordered, the staff will help you.

• asiaminor's Profile Photo

local restaurants: cheap food

by asiaminor Updated Apr 20, 2008

Gulangyu fruit market

There are many sea food restaurants in Xiamen and on Gulang yu Island but the prices higher in comparison to the other Chinese cities.Especially on the island most of the backpackers were complaining about not to find a local restaurant.On my third day on the island i have found a few
    Here are the tips

Favorite Dish: You will have a plenty of rice and can choose 3 kinds of food in Chinese al a card style
    A big portion would cost you between 5-7 RMB (less than 1 euro)depends on what you get

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

General: Local cuisine

by SLLiew Updated Nov 7, 2007

Xiamen is great place for all kinds of seafood. The prices ranges from expensive for company dinners to cheap for local hangouts along the beach. If you invite local Chinese, beer is supposed to accompany good food.

What I was more keen of trying is the local Xiamen fried flat noodles, prawn noodles and spring rolls which are precursors of Penang local famous versions as many Penangite Hokkien are immigrants from Xiamen and Fujian province. You can find them in downtown Xiamen.

There are also hard fruit candies on the sticks you can buy when visiting tourist sites. See phtograph.

• traveller0070's Profile Photo

korean grill: grill seafood stall

by traveller0070 Written Aug 26, 2007

saw alot of local queueing up for the food and so we joined the queue too. though its written as korean food but its more to local taste. you choose the food that u want, and they will grill it and add in some spicy pepper..

• traveller0070's Profile Photo

KFC restaurant: KFC restaurant

by traveller0070 Written Aug 26, 2007

KFC should not be new to everyone. But in China, you will need to wear disposable glove when enjoying the chicken. The choices of chicken is also different from Singapore style. and they also have delicious egg tarts.

Favorite Dish: juicy chicken parts and egg tarts

Instant Answers: Xiamen

Comments

Xiamen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Xiamen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Xiamen sightseeing.