Xiamen Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Xiamen

Hu Tu Huo Guo (steamboat): spicy steamboat

by traveller0070 Written Aug 26, 2007

Steamboats refer to a variety of dishes eaten where ingredients are cooked in a simmering pot of broth at the table, usually communally, similar to a fondue.
    Typical steamboat ingredients include thinly sliced meat, leafy vegetables, mushrooms, tofu, noodles or seafood. The cooked food is either eaten with a dipping sauce, or sometimes as a soup.

In many areas, steamboats are often eaten in the winter.

As known as Hot pot

Xiao Fei Yang: spicy steamboat

Yuan Yang (Duo) soup base

Xiao fei Yang is famous in China. it has got lots of branches all over China. its famous for its lamb slice. You will order the raw food, and you will cook the food in the boiling soup. Late operating hours. its best to eat it during winter... There are more than 2 types of soups. you can choose your own type of soup, if u can't take spicy soup, then ask for chicken soup which is non spicy. or u can ask for yuan yang, which will be separate 2 type of soup.

Favorite Dish: the lamb and other meats are tasty. it also have internal organs of pig, lamb, beef, chicken.

Nu Chu Nu Ba Cafe: Freezing ice dessert

dessert shop signboard

according to the boss, this is a newly open dessert restaurant. Boss is friendly to recommend the dessert that is the most common in the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Mango Ice. Its topped with Ice cream and fresh mango... yummy....

• School Holidays

• Buon Appetito and Geo Geo Cafe: Best Italian restaurant and Cafe in town!

by ericseidner Written Aug 15, 2006

I have been to Xiamen many times and because I stay in the Marco Polo I always go to this one street which is full of Western Restaurants and Cafes right across from the hotel. It seems each time I go there is a new place to try. Last time I went there was this great new place. It is a little confusing at first, I don't know if it is two places in one or one place but there seems to be a cafe and patio on the first floor and italian restaurant on the second floor. The place feels really Western and this is great for me. I often get caught up traveling about in China. The menu was in English, real English not translations and the staff seemed to understand and speak some also. The food was very authentic tasting and good portions. It didn't seem like Chinese Western but real Western. I picked up a name card and the manager is Western so I think this has a lot to do with it. The ambiance is comfortable, better on the patio and the second floor than on the first floor inside. Everyone was very friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had the caesar salad and a cheese burger. My friend had the caesar salad and the lasagna. We both agree the caesar salad was one of the best salads we have had in a while. No corn or other strange things. Just real caesar salad. Also, the burger. Man, I am an American and take my burgers seriously. This place has an amazing authentic western style burger. Big, juicy and delicious. MY friend loved her lasagna, although she couldn't finish it because it was pretty big. We also had desert which was fantastic but I can't remember what it was called. It was very delicious though. I defintely recommend this place. the prices were also very reasonable.

• Business Travel

• SUN_69's Profile Photo

Shu You restaurant: live seafood

by SUN_69 Updated Nov 25, 2004
    Live surgeon fish, eel, and a variety of fishes

The waitress are pretty inexperienced when it comes to services and meeting customer's request.

We asked for more garlic in a dish but she said that i have to take it as it is. when we asked for a copy of the bill so that I can remember the name of dishes we had, she said that it will be too difficult to retrieve it from the cashier.

Favorite Dish: The surgeon fish and eel are highly recommended. We went on 2 consecutive evenings to have them.

The fried oyster and popiah were interesting variation from that served in Singapore.

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

'Eat Here At Your Own Risk'....probably!: Be careful when eating seafood!

by sugarpuff Written Oct 11, 2004

'Eat me or eat me not...?'

Down by the ferry port which takes you over to the different islands nearby including Gulangyu, (more on that place later...), there's a w hole line of restaurants sporting seafood galore on their doorsteps. They all look really wonderful in their brightly coloured buckets, but to be honest, I didnt recognise half of them?! China has so many different kinds of fish compared to back home in Spain, I must look really stupid when they ask me if I know the name of this fish or the name of that one! Oh well!!!

So yes, plenty of lovely looking fish but the actual restaurants look like they could do with a scrub! But that goesfor many small restaurants in the WHOLE of China! THERE was the usual spitting on the floor, 'bai jiu' (China's answer to vodka!) and bottles of beer overflowing from each table. The atmosphere was good, but I was to remember that restaurant for a long time after!

Favorite Dish: We had prawns, crabs, octopus, some strange but tasty looking fish and of course some beer to wash it down with! Whenever I eat seafood in China Im always wary. I dont really know why, but for some reason I just think that it might have been sitting around for ages and be 'out of date' so to speak!

Although very tasty, myself and the cameraman (I was out shooting on this trip) were violently sick all throughout the night meaning we couldnt go to see Gulangyu Islet the next day.....oh well, the weather wasnt that good anyway!!!

So my parting words to you are just 'BE CAREFUL WHERE AND WHAT YOU EAT!'

• Babybeary's Profile Photo

Seafood - The speciality of Xiamen

by Babybeary Updated May 30, 2004

As Xiamen is at the coastal area, seafood is abundant and is quite commonly eaten. You can eat them in the restaurant or in the stall at the road side. Or if you are planning to cook yourself, you can buy it from the supermarket. Note that you have to catch it yourself, so be prepared for the splash. :p

Before you see your potential dinner, they are placed in many tanks and you select which one you like and then tell the stall owner. They will weight the fish / prawn / crab / abalone and you would be charged accordingly. General rule is of course, the heavier, the pricer. But note that for some fishes, the meat gets very tough when its too big, so its better to get a reasonable size.

Different seafood requires different ways of cooking to bring out its best. So if you are not sure, you can check with the stall owners for recommendations.

Personally, I would think that my experience if eating seafood there is of mixed feeling. There are some nice ones (like small fish fried golden) that I would keep eating, but there are some not so tasty ones that I would stop at the first bite (like the fish soup that tastes simply yucks). It could also be different in taste for people in different country. Usually for those kind of fish, we would cook it with sambal in Singapore rather than brewed it into soup as there is a strong smell that makes it unsuitable.

Overall, I would think that Xiamen is a place for you to try out seafood that you would never see in your own country. Like we ate a seafood which looks like a mega tadpole. When it is served, its cut into pieces and the meat taste a bit like crab. Quite nice. But I have to tell myself not to think of its original state or I would not have any more appetite and would start feeling unwell.

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Shu You Seafood restaurant: Great places to enjoy seafood

by Bob_Shan Written Oct 4, 2003

Shu You Seafood restaurant (ÊæÓѺ£ÏÊ´ó¾ÆÂ¥)

a nice and clean restaurant with very good services. sometimes, you can even have two bottle of free beers!

there are several branches in Xia Men, and you can easily find them by consulting ur hotel boys.

• cissy4170's Profile Photo

Don't Miss It

by cissy4170 Updated Sep 13, 2002

1.Typical local dishes and delicacies are various and special. Travellers could enjoy these dishes and delicacies in the famous food shops called 'Hao Qing Xiang', 'Wu Zai Tian' and 'Huang Ze He'. And travellers also could taste these dishes and delicacies in most of hotels and restaurants, and even in small eatery.

2.Vegetable Dishes in Nan Pu Tuo
    There are more than forty famous dishes in Nan Pu Tuo vegetable dishes, which are made of rice and four, bean, vegetables, mushrooms, agarics. These dishes pay great attention to the shape, colur and taste. Most of them are called by their shapes.

3.Garlic Pancake
    It is a famous Chinese delicacy. It is made of por, shrimp, fish, chufa and garlic. In most of time, it is the last dish at a dinner.

4.Stewed Pork Dumplings
    The main materials to make this delicacy include sticky rice, pork, mushrooms dried shrimp, millet. Stir-fry these materials first and mix with soy, MSG and sachet. Tie up with bamboo leaf with diamond-shape. Cook in water till sticky rice tender.

5.Sipunculid Worm Jelly
    Sipunculid Worm Jelly is the most typical dish in Xiamen delicacies. Sipunculid worm lives in sand.

6.Fry Oyster
    The main material of this dish is oyster. The oyster in Xiamen is very small. Fry oyster in Xiamen is delicate and delicious.

7.Upper Thread
    Upper thread is a dish which cooks shrimps, mussel and other fresh seafood and noodle together. Add duck blood and pork blood to this dish would be more delicious.

8.Peanut Soup
    The material used into Peanut soup is very simply, but the way to cool need to pay great attention. The peanut soup in Huang Zhe He which locates in Zhong Shan Road tastes best.

9.Xiamen Pie
    Xiamen Pie is a traditional food which has more than one hundred years history. The materials include lard, mung bean. The most fomous Xiamen Pie should be Gulang Island Pies.

Favorite Dish: Countless deliouse snack here!!! of course, I love the cheap and deliouse sea food here too.

• kimberbakos's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut, Xiamen: Pizza Hut, Xiamen

by kimberbakos Written Aug 30, 2002

The view of Xiamen Harbor and Gulangyu Island is just beatiful from the 26th floor of this restaurant. It is worth the food just to look out the window for an hour or so.

Favorite Dish: Pizza, of course. If you are brave, try some of the unique to China toppings. My daughter loved the minestrone soup. The ice is safe to drink, too. It was the only place I had iced tea in China. It really hit the spot.

• traveller0070's Profile Photo

jia wei zhai tian xiao chi: local food

by traveller0070 Written Aug 26, 2007

taxi driver recommanded us this place. according to him this shop has been opened for many many yrs. food are ok but ... the shop is old and abit dirty.

Ajisen Restaurant: Japanese restaurant

by traveller0070 Updated Aug 26, 2007

restaurant is located in a new shopping centre. Ajisen is also spread in other parts of the countries. Nice place to dine in.

Favorite Dish: there are ramen, sushi, sashimi, noodles, rice..... all of them are good.

Instant Answers: Xiamen

Comments

Xiamen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Xiamen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Xiamen sightseeing.