Xiamen Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Xiamen

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

'Eat Here At Your Own Risk'....probably!: Be careful when eating seafood!

by sugarpuff Written Oct 11, 2004

'Eat me or eat me not...?'

Down by the ferry port which takes you over to the different islands nearby including Gulangyu, (more on that place later...), there's a w hole line of restaurants sporting seafood galore on their doorsteps. They all look really wonderful in their brightly coloured buckets, but to be honest, I didnt recognise half of them?! China has so many different kinds of fish compared to back home in Spain, I must look really stupid when they ask me if I know the name of this fish or the name of that one! Oh well!!!

So yes, plenty of lovely looking fish but the actual restaurants look like they could do with a scrub! But that goesfor many small restaurants in the WHOLE of China! THERE was the usual spitting on the floor, 'bai jiu' (China's answer to vodka!) and bottles of beer overflowing from each table. The atmosphere was good, but I was to remember that restaurant for a long time after!

Favorite Dish: We had prawns, crabs, octopus, some strange but tasty looking fish and of course some beer to wash it down with! Whenever I eat seafood in China Im always wary. I dont really know why, but for some reason I just think that it might have been sitting around for ages and be 'out of date' so to speak!

Although very tasty, myself and the cameraman (I was out shooting on this trip) were violently sick all throughout the night meaning we couldnt go to see Gulangyu Islet the next day.....oh well, the weather wasnt that good anyway!!!

So my parting words to you are just 'BE CAREFUL WHERE AND WHAT YOU EAT!'

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

General: Local cuisine

by SLLiew Updated Nov 7, 2007

Xiamen is great place for all kinds of seafood. The prices ranges from expensive for company dinners to cheap for local hangouts along the beach. If you invite local Chinese, beer is supposed to accompany good food.

What I was more keen of trying is the local Xiamen fried flat noodles, prawn noodles and spring rolls which are precursors of Penang local famous versions as many Penangite Hokkien are immigrants from Xiamen and Fujian province. You can find them in downtown Xiamen.

There are also hard fruit candies on the sticks you can buy when visiting tourist sites. See phtograph.

• Aileen's Cafe: Fresh roasted coffee beans daily.

by mikebull Written Nov 17, 2011

This place is brand new, and will open soon, but I had the luxury to try it out already as I know the owner and it's amazing. They roast their coffee beans every morning and have the freshest coffee I've ever had, and not just in China that is. Aileen's cafe is actually more than just coffee they call it a cafe and wine bar meaning if your looking for a nice patio to sit out at night with a glass of Merlot this is the place. The food is simple as the place is small so they stick to sandwiches and gyros or wraps as they call them, which are really fresh and delicious. I've lived here in Xiamen for 9 years and all I can say is that I am so happy they've opened and so close to my house.

One more thing to mention is it's a little hard to find, as it's on a side street in Qian pu by the Hua lin bus stop, if you search google maps it's right beside an English center called Mike's English so that should help.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the chicken ceasar wrap. So yummy.

• Work Abroad
    • Wine Tasting

• piglet44's Profile Photo

Indiano John's Samrat: Authentic Indian food in the heart of Xiamen

by piglet44 Written Dec 19, 2012

So if you live in China or have been here for a while sometimes you get a craving for some other kind of food. In my case (coming from London!) it was Indian and so when my neighbour mentioned this place we decided to go there to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. The location is a bit bizarre,not in a tourist area and not that convenient for where we live,but for real Indian food we made the effort. We got there at the strange time of 3pm too late for lunch and too early for dinner so of course the place was deserted except for the employees. But John welcomed us in and made us feel very comfortable and recommended some dishes to us. Very soon we were sitting in front of a huge pile of wonderful food-Chicken Biryani, Chicken Tikka Masala, nan,Aloo Gobi,papadums and relishes,as well as some Qingdao local beer. All was excellent and we were served very quickly and courteously. John is a lovely guy and the restaurant decor is warm,with deep red and brown colours, and even though we were the only diners we felt welcome and comfortable and the atmosphere was great.
    WE will not hesitate to return. Price was 200RMB total for a couple including beer.Oh and we got complimentary chai and rice dessert.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Biryani it's my favourite.

• asiaminor's Profile Photo

local restaurants: cheap food

by asiaminor Updated Apr 20, 2008

Gulangyu fruit market

There are many sea food restaurants in Xiamen and on Gulang yu Island but the prices higher in comparison to the other Chinese cities.Especially on the island most of the backpackers were complaining about not to find a local restaurant.On my third day on the island i have found a few
    Here are the tips

Favorite Dish: You will have a plenty of rice and can choose 3 kinds of food in Chinese al a card style
    A big portion would cost you between 5-7 RMB (less than 1 euro)depends on what you get

Nu Chu Nu Ba Cafe: Freezing ice dessert

dessert shop signboard

according to the boss, this is a newly open dessert restaurant. Boss is friendly to recommend the dessert that is the most common in the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Mango Ice. Its topped with Ice cream and fresh mango... yummy....

• School Holidays

• Buon Appetito and Geo Geo Cafe: Best Italian restaurant and Cafe in town!

by ericseidner Written Aug 15, 2006

I have been to Xiamen many times and because I stay in the Marco Polo I always go to this one street which is full of Western Restaurants and Cafes right across from the hotel. It seems each time I go there is a new place to try. Last time I went there was this great new place. It is a little confusing at first, I don't know if it is two places in one or one place but there seems to be a cafe and patio on the first floor and italian restaurant on the second floor. The place feels really Western and this is great for me. I often get caught up traveling about in China. The menu was in English, real English not translations and the staff seemed to understand and speak some also. The food was very authentic tasting and good portions. It didn't seem like Chinese Western but real Western. I picked up a name card and the manager is Western so I think this has a lot to do with it. The ambiance is comfortable, better on the patio and the second floor than on the first floor inside. Everyone was very friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had the caesar salad and a cheese burger. My friend had the caesar salad and the lasagna. We both agree the caesar salad was one of the best salads we have had in a while. No corn or other strange things. Just real caesar salad. Also, the burger. Man, I am an American and take my burgers seriously. This place has an amazing authentic western style burger. Big, juicy and delicious. MY friend loved her lasagna, although she couldn't finish it because it was pretty big. We also had desert which was fantastic but I can't remember what it was called. It was very delicious though. I defintely recommend this place. the prices were also very reasonable.

• Business Travel

• claude-andre's Profile Photo

I don't rember the name: Seafood - a must

by claude-andre Updated Apr 29, 2008

scallops

If you like seafood, this restaurant is a must. You choose your fishes and other seafood that are very fresh (Xiamen has a very good reputation for its seafood).
    It has a terrace, very agreable in hot evenings.

Favorite Dish: We liked everything. When you don't know how to eat what you ordered, the staff will help you.

• cissy4170's Profile Photo

Don't Miss It

by cissy4170 Updated Sep 13, 2002

1.Typical local dishes and delicacies are various and special. Travellers could enjoy these dishes and delicacies in the famous food shops called 'Hao Qing Xiang', 'Wu Zai Tian' and 'Huang Ze He'. And travellers also could taste these dishes and delicacies in most of hotels and restaurants, and even in small eatery.

2.Vegetable Dishes in Nan Pu Tuo
    There are more than forty famous dishes in Nan Pu Tuo vegetable dishes, which are made of rice and four, bean, vegetables, mushrooms, agarics. These dishes pay great attention to the shape, colur and taste. Most of them are called by their shapes.

3.Garlic Pancake
    It is a famous Chinese delicacy. It is made of por, shrimp, fish, chufa and garlic. In most of time, it is the last dish at a dinner.

4.Stewed Pork Dumplings
    The main materials to make this delicacy include sticky rice, pork, mushrooms dried shrimp, millet. Stir-fry these materials first and mix with soy, MSG and sachet. Tie up with bamboo leaf with diamond-shape. Cook in water till sticky rice tender.

5.Sipunculid Worm Jelly
    Sipunculid Worm Jelly is the most typical dish in Xiamen delicacies. Sipunculid worm lives in sand.

6.Fry Oyster
    The main material of this dish is oyster. The oyster in Xiamen is very small. Fry oyster in Xiamen is delicate and delicious.

7.Upper Thread
    Upper thread is a dish which cooks shrimps, mussel and other fresh seafood and noodle together. Add duck blood and pork blood to this dish would be more delicious.

8.Peanut Soup
    The material used into Peanut soup is very simply, but the way to cool need to pay great attention. The peanut soup in Huang Zhe He which locates in Zhong Shan Road tastes best.

9.Xiamen Pie
    Xiamen Pie is a traditional food which has more than one hundred years history. The materials include lard, mung bean. The most fomous Xiamen Pie should be Gulang Island Pies.

Favorite Dish: Countless deliouse snack here!!! of course, I love the cheap and deliouse sea food here too.

• kimberbakos's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut, Xiamen: Pizza Hut, Xiamen

by kimberbakos Written Aug 30, 2002

The view of Xiamen Harbor and Gulangyu Island is just beatiful from the 26th floor of this restaurant. It is worth the food just to look out the window for an hour or so.

Favorite Dish: Pizza, of course. If you are brave, try some of the unique to China toppings. My daughter loved the minestrone soup. The ice is safe to drink, too. It was the only place I had iced tea in China. It really hit the spot.

Xiao Fei Yang: spicy steamboat

Yuan Yang (Duo) soup base

Xiao fei Yang is famous in China. it has got lots of branches all over China. its famous for its lamb slice. You will order the raw food, and you will cook the food in the boiling soup. Late operating hours. its best to eat it during winter... There are more than 2 types of soups. you can choose your own type of soup, if u can't take spicy soup, then ask for chicken soup which is non spicy. or u can ask for yuan yang, which will be separate 2 type of soup.

Favorite Dish: the lamb and other meats are tasty. it also have internal organs of pig, lamb, beef, chicken.

Hu Tu Huo Guo (steamboat): spicy steamboat

by traveller0070 Written Aug 26, 2007

Steamboats refer to a variety of dishes eaten where ingredients are cooked in a simmering pot of broth at the table, usually communally, similar to a fondue.
    Typical steamboat ingredients include thinly sliced meat, leafy vegetables, mushrooms, tofu, noodles or seafood. The cooked food is either eaten with a dipping sauce, or sometimes as a soup.

In many areas, steamboats are often eaten in the winter.

As known as Hot pot

KFC restaurant: KFC restaurant

by traveller0070 Written Aug 26, 2007

KFC should not be new to everyone. But in China, you will need to wear disposable glove when enjoying the chicken. The choices of chicken is also different from Singapore style. and they also have delicious egg tarts.

Favorite Dish: juicy chicken parts and egg tarts

• traveller0070's Profile Photo

korean grill: grill seafood stall

by traveller0070 Written Aug 26, 2007

saw alot of local queueing up for the food and so we joined the queue too. though its written as korean food but its more to local taste. you choose the food that u want, and they will grill it and add in some spicy pepper..

• SUN_69's Profile Photo

Shu You restaurant: live seafood

by SUN_69 Updated Nov 25, 2004
    Live surgeon fish, eel, and a variety of fishes

The waitress are pretty inexperienced when it comes to services and meeting customer's request.

We asked for more garlic in a dish but she said that i have to take it as it is. when we asked for a copy of the bill so that I can remember the name of dishes we had, she said that it will be too difficult to retrieve it from the cashier.

Favorite Dish: The surgeon fish and eel are highly recommended. We went on 2 consecutive evenings to have them.

The fried oyster and popiah were interesting variation from that served in Singapore.

Instant Answers: Xiamen

Comments

Xiamen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Xiamen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Xiamen sightseeing.