Xiamen Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Xiamen

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

'Eat Here At Your Own Risk'....probably!: Be careful when eating seafood!

by sugarpuff Written Oct 11, 2004

Down by the ferry port which takes you over to the different islands nearby including Gulangyu, (more on that place later...), there's a w hole line of restaurants sporting seafood galore on their doorsteps. They all look really wonderful in their brightly coloured buckets, but to be honest, I didnt recognise half of them?! China has so many different kinds of fish compared to back home in Spain, I must look really stupid when they ask me if I know the name of this fish or the name of that one! Oh well!!!

So yes, plenty of lovely looking fish but the actual restaurants look like they could do with a scrub! But that goesfor many small restaurants in the WHOLE of China! THERE was the usual spitting on the floor, 'bai jiu' (China's answer to vodka!) and bottles of beer overflowing from each table. The atmosphere was good, but I was to remember that restaurant for a long time after!

Favorite Dish: We had prawns, crabs, octopus, some strange but tasty looking fish and of course some beer to wash it down with! Whenever I eat seafood in China Im always wary. I dont really know why, but for some reason I just think that it might have been sitting around for ages and be 'out of date' so to speak!

Although very tasty, myself and the cameraman (I was out shooting on this trip) were violently sick all throughout the night meaning we couldnt go to see Gulangyu Islet the next day.....oh well, the weather wasnt that good anyway!!!

So my parting words to you are just 'BE CAREFUL WHERE AND WHAT YOU EAT!'

'Eat me or eat me not...?'

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

General: Local cuisine

by SLLiew Updated Nov 7, 2007

Xiamen is great place for all kinds of seafood. The prices ranges from expensive for company dinners to cheap for local hangouts along the beach. If you invite local Chinese, beer is supposed to accompany good food.

What I was more keen of trying is the local Xiamen fried flat noodles, prawn noodles and spring rolls which are precursors of Penang local famous versions as many Penangite Hokkien are immigrants from Xiamen and Fujian province. You can find them in downtown Xiamen.

There are also hard fruit candies on the sticks you can buy when visiting tourist sites. See phtograph.

• Aileen's Cafe: Fresh roasted coffee beans daily.

by mikebull Written Nov 17, 2011

This place is brand new, and will open soon, but I had the luxury to try it out already as I know the owner and it's amazing. They roast their coffee beans every morning and have the freshest coffee I've ever had, and not just in China that is. Aileen's cafe is actually more than just coffee they call it a cafe and wine bar meaning if your looking for a nice patio to sit out at night with a glass of Merlot this is the place. The food is simple as the place is small so they stick to sandwiches and gyros or wraps as they call them, which are really fresh and delicious. I've lived here in Xiamen for 9 years and all I can say is that I am so happy they've opened and so close to my house.

One more thing to mention is it's a little hard to find, as it's on a side street in Qian pu by the Hua lin bus stop, if you search google maps it's right beside an English center called Mike's English so that should help.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the chicken ceasar wrap. So yummy.

• Work Abroad
    • Wine Tasting

• piglet44's Profile Photo

Indiano John's Samrat: Authentic Indian food in the heart of Xiamen

by piglet44 Written Dec 19, 2012

So if you live in China or have been here for a while sometimes you get a craving for some other kind of food. In my case (coming from London!) it was Indian and so when my neighbour mentioned this place we decided to go there to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. The location is a bit bizarre,not in a tourist area and not that convenient for where we live,but for real Indian food we made the effort. We got there at the strange time of 3pm too late for lunch and too early for dinner so of course the place was deserted except for the employees. But John welcomed us in and made us feel very comfortable and recommended some dishes to us. Very soon we were sitting in front of a huge pile of wonderful food-Chicken Biryani, Chicken Tikka Masala, nan,Aloo Gobi,papadums and relishes,as well as some Qingdao local beer. All was excellent and we were served very quickly and courteously. John is a lovely guy and the restaurant decor is warm,with deep red and brown colours, and even though we were the only diners we felt welcome and comfortable and the atmosphere was great.
    WE will not hesitate to return. Price was 200RMB total for a couple including beer.Oh and we got complimentary chai and rice dessert.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Biryani it's my favourite.

• asiaminor's Profile Photo

local restaurants: cheap food

by asiaminor Updated Apr 20, 2008

There are many sea food restaurants in Xiamen and on Gulang yu Island but the prices higher in comparison to the other Chinese cities.Especially on the island most of the backpackers were complaining about not to find a local restaurant.On my third day on the island i have found a few
    Here are the tips

Favorite Dish: You will have a plenty of rice and can choose 3 kinds of food in Chinese al a card style
    A big portion would cost you between 5-7 RMB (less than 1 euro)depends on what you get

Gulangyu fruit market sideroad which takes you the cheap places

• traveller0070's Profile Photo

Nu Chu Nu Ba Cafe: Freezing ice dessert

by traveller0070 Written Aug 26, 2007

according to the boss, this is a newly open dessert restaurant. Boss is friendly to recommend the dessert that is the most common in the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Mango Ice. Its topped with Ice cream and fresh mango... yummy....

dessert shop signboard address of the dessert shop red bean ice
    • School Holidays

• Buon Appetito and Geo Geo Cafe: Best Italian restaurant and Cafe in town!

by ericseidner Written Aug 15, 2006

I have been to Xiamen many times and because I stay in the Marco Polo I always go to this one street which is full of Western Restaurants and Cafes right across from the hotel. It seems each time I go there is a new place to try. Last time I went there was this great new place. It is a little confusing at first, I don't know if it is two places in one or one place but there seems to be a cafe and patio on the first floor and italian restaurant on the second floor. The place feels really Western and this is great for me. I often get caught up traveling about in China. The menu was in English, real English not translations and the staff seemed to understand and speak some also. The food was very authentic tasting and good portions. It didn't seem like Chinese Western but real Western. I picked up a name card and the manager is Western so I think this has a lot to do with it. The ambiance is comfortable, better on the patio and the second floor than on the first floor inside. Everyone was very friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had the caesar salad and a cheese burger. My friend had the caesar salad and the lasagna. We both agree the caesar salad was one of the best salads we have had in a while. No corn or other strange things. Just real caesar salad. Also, the burger. Man, I am an American and take my burgers seriously. This place has an amazing authentic western style burger. Big, juicy and delicious. MY friend loved her lasagna, although she couldn't finish it because it was pretty big. We also had desert which was fantastic but I can't remember what it was called. It was very delicious though. I defintely recommend this place. the prices were also very reasonable.

• claude-andre's Profile Photo

I don't rember the name: Seafood - a must

by claude-andre Updated Apr 29, 2008

If you like seafood, this restaurant is a must. You choose your fishes and other seafood that are very fresh (Xiamen has a very good reputation for its seafood).
    It has a terrace, very agreable in hot evenings.

Favorite Dish: We liked everything. When you don't know how to eat what you ordered, the staff will help you.

scallops sea snails

• cissy4170's Profile Photo

Don't Miss It

by cissy4170 Updated Sep 13, 2002

1.Typical local dishes and delicacies are various and special. Travellers could enjoy these dishes and delicacies in the famous food shops called 'Hao Qing Xiang', 'Wu Zai Tian' and 'Huang Ze He'. And travellers also could taste these dishes and delicacies in most of hotels and restaurants, and even in small eatery.

2.Vegetable Dishes in Nan Pu Tuo
    There are more than forty famous dishes in Nan Pu Tuo vegetable dishes, which are made of rice and four, bean, vegetables, mushrooms, agarics. These dishes pay great attention to the shape, colur and taste. Most of them are called by their shapes.

3.Garlic Pancake
    It is a famous Chinese delicacy. It is made of por, shrimp, fish, chufa and garlic. In most of time, it is the last dish at a dinner.

4.Stewed Pork Dumplings
    The main materials to make this delicacy include sticky rice, pork, mushrooms dried shrimp, millet. Stir-fry these materials first and mix with soy, MSG and sachet. Tie up with bamboo leaf with diamond-shape. Cook in water till sticky rice tender.

5.Sipunculid Worm Jelly
    Sipunculid Worm Jelly is the most typical dish in Xiamen delicacies. Sipunculid worm lives in sand.

6.Fry Oyster
    The main material of this dish is oyster. The oyster in Xiamen is very small. Fry oyster in Xiamen is delicate and delicious.

7.Upper Thread
    Upper thread is a dish which cooks shrimps, mussel and other fresh seafood and noodle together. Add duck blood and pork blood to this dish would be more delicious.

8.Peanut Soup
    The material used into Peanut soup is very simply, but the way to cool need to pay great attention. The peanut soup in Huang Zhe He which locates in Zhong Shan Road tastes best.

9.Xiamen Pie
    Xiamen Pie is a traditional food which has more than one hundred years history. The materials include lard, mung bean. The most fomous Xiamen Pie should be Gulang Island Pies.

Favorite Dish: Countless deliouse snack here!!! of course, I love the cheap and deliouse sea food here too.

• kimberbakos's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut, Xiamen: Pizza Hut, Xiamen

by kimberbakos Written Aug 30, 2002

The view of Xiamen Harbor and Gulangyu Island is just beatiful from the 26th floor of this restaurant. It is worth the food just to look out the window for an hour or so.

Favorite Dish: Pizza, of course. If you are brave, try some of the unique to China toppings. My daughter loved the minestrone soup. The ice is safe to drink, too. It was the only place I had iced tea in China. It really hit the spot.

• cal6060's Profile Photo

MISS ZHAO'S CAKE AND TEA & SHOP: Local Cafe

by cal6060 Written Feb 16, 2013

I had tea and bakery in this cafe. It is a classical and a nice cafe to hang out to taste the local bakery with coffee and cake or tea. At the front of the cafe, they have a take out counter of its pastry, and shop selling the cafe's souvenirs.

Miss Zhao was born in a rich family of Gulangyu, the island of Xiamen and had migrated to Southeast Asia together with her family in the 60's. Her descendants opened the shop named "Mss Zhao" in Gulangyu to commemorate her.

Check out its website.

Favorite Dish: Tea & pineapple pastry.

MISS ZHAO'S CAKE AND TEA & SHOP, Gulangyu MISS ZHAO'S CAKE AND TEA & SHOP, Gulangyu MISS ZHAO'S CAKE AND TEA & SHOP, Gulangyu MISS ZHAO'S CAKE AND TEA & SHOP, Gulangyu

• Coyote Cafe' and Cantina: Mexican Food in Xiamen

by ru1212us Written Apr 2, 2010

This is one of the best Western style restaurants located in Xiamen, serving up real Mexican food, great Margaritas and some special items that are not Mexican; but by popular demand of their loyal customers they did it......like UK Style Fish & Chips, a few Pizzas, Hamburgers and Hot Dogs.....Grilled and last but not least, the best Cheesecake. Great relaxing atmosphere overlooking the lake. www.coyotecafe.asia

Favorite Dish: Fajitas....you can tell that fresh ingredients are used, they even make their own sour cream and the grilled tortillas add a wonderful flavor.

outside as you see Coyote from the lake Chimichanga
    • Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• Coyote Cafe': Wow Mexcian food in Xiamen

by ru1212us Written Nov 12, 2008

Finally a Mexican....all Mexican restaurant in Xiamen. Great setting, near the lake, near Marco Polo and not where all the "coffee" shops are located.....go, the opposite direction to get there. From the Marco Polo, turn left....walk past True Love Bar....continue to walk until you arrive at Sunmile Bakery.....turn left here...this is a small road and walk down to the end...you will be at the lakeside and right there on the corner is Coyote. Inside is wonderful....more like a modern Mexican theme...but having the colors and textured walls like in Mexico. And the view of the lake or the park is really relaxing. Good food....everything I tried was very good....and the drinks, well let's say the Margarita was one of the best that I have ever had. Friendly staff and good service.

Favorite Dish: Hard to define this, as all that I have tried has been wonderful....but, I must say, if you like steak...I think this is the best steak in Xiamen......grilled and with some type of Mexican sauce over it. One thing that is not on the menu, but the staff tells you is their Cheesecake....again this must be the best in Xiamen....China???? Anyway, do not be afraid to try anything, it all looks good.

• Water Sports
    • Study Abroad

• jackiesg's Profile Photo

In Nan Pu Tuo temple: Vegetarian food

by jackiesg Written Jan 2, 2009

I've read from the website that Nan Pu Tuo temple has good vegetarian food and so I went. Went into a restaurant that serves ala carte and set lunches and so we decided on a set lunch of 5 dishes.

The set lunch was quite good, not too salty or oily but not cheap too. The set luch of 5 dishes (4 dish and a soup) cost $120 rmb and the portion are not big. Well, suitable for 3 person, maybe.

After lunch did we realise there's more than one restaurant in the temple. The other restaurant looked even more grand than the one we had tried.

Favorite Dish: In the set lunch, they have this yam paste dish that is yummy. In chinese, we call it the Aor Ni.

Vegetarian Food
    • Religious Travel

• jackiesg's Profile Photo

Stalls along the streets: Popiah!

by jackiesg Written Jan 2, 2009

Have you ever tried a snack called Popiah? It can be considered vegetarian as it's soft, thin dough( not sure if it's rice or wheat)skin wrapped with vegetables like bean sprouts, carrots shreds, cabbages, green veges and peanut bits and eggs. you can choose to have sweet sauce or chili paste in it.

It's a rare find in China for me since I can never find it in Guangzhou. The one I tried, in one of the small alleys in Zhongshan road, was not as yummy as those back in Singapore but good enough to satisfy my thirst for popiah away from Singapore.

Cost only $2rmb for one. Good and cheap.

A popiah selling lady how a popiah looked like
    • School Holidays

Instant Answers: Xiamen

Comments

Xiamen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Xiamen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Xiamen sightseeing.