Xiahe Local Customs

• RB_Oakes's Profile Photo

Tibetan part of town

by RB_Oakes Written May 18, 2005
    Tibetan courtyard in Xiahe

I wandered into the Tibetan part of town. It's quite different than the Chinese part. At one stage, I followed a giant hog through a small arched doorway. This led me to a courtyard surrounded by several domiciles. I haven't really seen anything quite like it.

Discussions

by nepalgoods Updated Jul 2, 2003

Discussion

The Tibetan Lamas have a very special way to discuss religious matters. One monk sits on the ground and another jumps at him, clapping his hands and shouting his argument.

I was lucky to watch one of this discussions.

• Religious Travel

Snow Leopard

by nepalgoods Written Jun 22, 2003

Snow Leopard coat

I was very impressed by this woman, who wears a coat with the fur of a snow leopard. I asked her, if I could take a photo. She agreed and afterwards I gave her a photo of H.H. Dalai Lama. She was so happy, that she kissed the photo again and again. Then she even kissed my hand. I felt very embarassed. At that time I did not know. how important H.H. Dalai Lama is for the Tibetan people.

• tompt's Profile Photo

all life is precious

by tompt Written Sep 21, 2004
    paralysed piglet in the streets of Xiahe

The Buddhist believe all life is precious, therefor it is possible you see this piglet with two paralysed hind legs. The pilgrims feed it and he seems to be doing OK.

Rosary

by nepalgoods Written Mar 23, 2003

Rosary

For me it was the first time, that I saw, that Buddhists also use something similar to a Christian rosary.

• Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Xiahe

Comments

Xiahe Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Xiahe local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Xiahe sightseeing.