Chaozhou Restaurants

Preserved Fruits,sweet and sour!
    by alywang
  • One of the Chaozhou snacks-Braised  Meat!
    One of the Chaozhou snacks-Braised ...
    Chaozhou home snack-Thin Rice Balls Soup

Best Rated Restaurants in Chaozhou

• alywang's Profile Photo

Roadside food stalls: Changfen,one of my favourite breakfasts

by alywang Updated Jul 19, 2007

Changfen,one of my favourite breakfasts

Traditionally, Chaozhou people have rice soups as their breakfast. Today, there are more choices.
    Steamed buns with soy milk, Chaozhou noodle soups or Changfen could be the breakfasts. I often have Changfen as my breakfast. You don't need to make it by yourself, just go out of your house. There are roadside food stalls. The Changfen is steamed by a special cooking utensil. First of all, the chef pours a big spoon of rice fluid, about 500ml, into a thin Steel plate, and then put it in the special cooking utensil. After the rice fluid is steamed near cooked, take the thin steel plate out of the special cooking utensil. Pour the egg stirred with ground meat and vegetable pieces onto the cooked rice fluid, which has become a piece of rice sheet, put it into the cooking utensil again. When all are cooked, take the thin steel plate out of the special cooking utensil again. Next, the chef will use two small pieces of steel plate to make the rice sheet into a roll. Cut the roll into to two and put them on a plate. Finally, pour the nice sauce on the roll. That's my breakfast! Very nice! Guess how much it is. It's only 2~3 RMB!
    This nice food is almost only sold in Chaozhou. In one winter vacation, I went back to my hometown. I decided to have Changfen as breakfast every morning. It turned out to be my lunch many times. Because I woke up very late:P Home is a place to enjoy, I don't care!

Roadside food stalls: Chaozhou Rice Soup

Chaozhou Rice Soup

Rice soup is almost in every day life for Chaozhou people. We usually have rice soup as breakfast. So called white rice soup means there is no other food and condiment in the rice soup. So, there are many kinds of food which are especially served for the white rice soup to add the taste.
    The Chaozhou rice soup tastes totally different from the gruel in Guangzhou for the ways cooking the rice soup are different. The Chaozhou rice soup will not be cooked too long while the Guangzhou gruel will be cooked for a long time till you almost can’t taste the grain of rice. Once, I went back to my home town. For I hadn’t drunk Chaozhou rice soup for a long time, I could even taste the nice flavor of the white rice soup.
    Besides white rice soup, there is another rice soup which we call spicy rice soup. Such as sea food, birds’ meat and so on are cooked with the rice soup to add the flavor. And the casserole is the best cooking utensil for rice soup. People here usually drink casserole rice soup as midnight snack. You will find some roadside stalls selling casserole rice soup at night in Chaozhou.

• alywang's Profile Photo

Roadside food stalls: Make the wonderful afternoon tea:)

one of  the Chaozhou snacks-Salty Cakes

To eat the Chaozhou snacks like salty cakes, you just need to go to the roadside stalls. I guess there are not even salty cakes sold at the restaurants. Cheap and tasty is the mainly characteristics of Chaozhu snacks. So, guess how much a salty cake is. You can use one RMB to buy 11 salty cakes! The white part of the salty cake is made of rice powder. And the fillings in the center are the ground pickle radishes which are quick fried in advance.
    Sometimes, at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, go to buy some salty cakes and take them home. Salty cakes, Chaozhou Gongfu tea, sofa and TV would be great!

Roadside food stalls: Eat Spring Cakes in spring

one of the Chaozhou snacks-Spring Cakes

Spring cakes mean the cakes are eaten in spring. This custom can dates from the ages of the east Jin. Today, spring cakes are not only eaten in spring. You can eat them in any season. Spring cakes look little like the pies sold in the McDonald’s. But the fillings are different from the McDonald’s pies. There are two mainly kinds of spring cakes. One is sweet, the other is salty. Usually the sweet spring cakes are filling with mashed taro ; the salty ones are filling with green beans and some ground meat. They both taste good.

• alywang's Profile Photo

Roadside food stalls: Sha Char Rice Noodles makes your mouth watering:)

Sha Char Rice Noodles makes your mouth watering

First of all, I have to explain what the Sha Char is. The Sha Char is a special Chaozhou's sauce. It’s usually used to add the taste for the dish. When eat this snack, firstly you should stir the rice noodles with chopsticks to mix them with the special sauce. Just like the way eating spaghetti.
    Living away from my hometown makes me can not often taste the very nice food of my hometown. Every time looking at this picture, my mouth will be watering. Sometimes people Leave their hometown for study, work or any other reason. But, no matter where are they, home is always sweet!

• alywang's Profile Photo

Roadside food stalls: Only the beef balls from my hometown are the best!

by alywang Updated Jul 19, 2007

Only the beef balls from my hometown are the best!

No matter where is it, only the beef balls from my hometown are the best! Chaozhou chefs are really so amazing! Both the beef balls and the soup taste so incredible. The beef will be beaten into paste with an iron stick about 3 KG. And then make the beef paste into little balls. The best beef balls especially have good resilience. After you try the Chaozhou beef balls, you will know what the real beef ball is; you will never like the beef balls which are sold at the convenient stores like seven eleven.

• alywang's Profile Photo

Roadside food stalls: My favorite cake-Leek Cakes !

by alywang Updated Jul 19, 2007

My favorite cake-Leek Cakes !

Although leek cakes look very simple, actually the tasty is inside the rice dough. These leek cakes can be eaten after being steamed or sauted. I guess anyone who likes eating leek will like these leek cakes.

• alywang's Profile Photo

Roadside food stalls: The Oyster Pisa-my favorite snack!

by alywang Updated Jul 19, 2007

The Oyster Pisa-my favorite snack!

I would like to recommend this very traditional Chaozhou snack. It’s also my favorite :) Oyster pancake (or you can call it Oyster Pisa) primarily consists of eggs, small oysters and starch. A special sauce which is made of fish is used to added taste.
    There are oyster pancakes sold at the roadside food stalls. But I like eating oyster pancakes which my mom makes. I think oyster pancakes which my mom makes can compare to those made by the professional chef ^_^ Do you envy that I have a wonderful mother?

• alywang's Profile Photo

Roadside food stalls: Crisp surfaces cover the sweet potatoes!

The sweet potato cakes

I really miss these sweet potato cakes! It’s easy to make these cakes. Cut the sweet potatoes into pieces and dip them in the flour paste. Then fry them until they look golden. The crisp surface covers the sweet potatoes. They taste so good! When I was a kid, sometimes I would buy some sweet potato cakes on the way home after school. It was only 0.2 RMB a piece that time. I guess it costs 0.5~1RMB today. I don’t know, because I haven’t had them for a long time!

Roadside food stalls: Pig Foot Round

Pig Foot Round

These doughnuts are unique in Chaozhou. The golden yellow covers are crisp while the fillings which are made of grained taros, beans and spices are savory! They are one kind the favorite snacks to kids. Local people give this doughnut a special name "Pig Foot Round" because of its shape.

• alywang's Profile Photo

Roadside food stalls: My another favorite snack-Pan Frying Cakes!

Pan Frying Cakes

Pan Frying Cakes are another kind of Chaozhou snacks I love. Almost every time I go back home, I will eat these cakes. The cakes are made of nothing but rice. It seems there are many Chaozhou snacks are connected to the rice. That is true. We almost eat rice in every meal. The other days, I was in Luoyang, which is located at the middle north of China. The main food there is wheat which makes me very shocked. He-he, then I realized not everyone in the world have rice as their main food, although I had known this fact before :)
    Usually, these cakes will be pan-fried with curry and eggs, and then put some very tasty sauce on them. I think the sauce, which is made of ground meet, dried mushroom and some spices, is very important to these cakes. Enjoy them, my friends :)

Sweet Potatoes and Taros

Sweet Potatoes and Taros

This dish is cooked with syrup. Imagine that the sweet potatoes and taros are gluey, powdery and sweet. What a nice snack! Such yummy dish doesn’t need too many steps. Most Chaozhou people don’t eat this snack at the restaurants. They cook it at home. It could be a nice snack for the afternoon tea.

Roadside food stalls: One of the Chaozhou snacks-radish cakes

by alywang Updated Jul 19, 2007

One of the Chaozhou snacks-radish cakes

In Chaozhou, people make radish cakes to serve the deities on some Chinese traditional festivals. Radish cakes are mainly made of radishes and rice powder. Mushed radishes and rice powder are mixed with some water and then steamed until the mixture is cooked. We often saut¡§¦ed the radish cakes before eating. That makes the radish cakes more tasty.

• alywang's Profile Photo

Roadside food stalls: One of the Chaozhou snack-potato cakes!

by alywang Updated Jul 19, 2007

One of the Chaozhou snack-potato cakes!

Many western people like eating potatoes, right? But have they ever made potatoes like this? Do the potatoes with transparent cover make your mouth watering? You can eat these potato cakes by steaming or sautéing. They are another nice kind of Chaozhou snacks for the afternoon tea :)

Roadside food stalls: Cooked Rice Rolls

Cooked Rice Rolls

The covers of the cooked rice rolls are made like the way of making the covers of Changfen(a Chaozhou snack which I mentioned on the first page ) the difference between Cooked Rice Rolls and Changfen are the fillings. The fillings of the Cooked Rice Rolls can be ground pickle radishes , ground bamboo shoot, or ground meat, etc. he-he, very yummy too!

Instant Answers: Chaozhou

Comments

Chaozhou Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Chaozhou restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chaozhou sightseeing.