Guangzhou Local Customs

slow motion badminton

Most Recent Local Customs in Guangzhou

Guangzhou Fashion Scene

by Guantanamera Written Jun 8, 2004

Guangzhou girls can be very, very funky and fashionable dressers, often times appropriating the latest in Hong Kong fashions to a distinctively mainland sensibility and cost structure... Part of their uniqueness stems from the multitude of Chinese independent clothing designers that live and work in Guangdong Province... On my last trip, fishnets were all the rage in Hong Kong and Guangzhou, such as are being worn by the girl in the photo shown here...

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Markets are not for the queasy stomachs......

by herzog63 Updated Oct 15, 2003

If your stomach gets queasy from watching animals get butchered before your very eyes do not visit the Qing Ping market!!! Animals of all variations are on display and being butchered fresh to be taken home for a good home cooked meal!! Also watch where you step as there are open drains for the blood to be washed away!!

Fresh Meat

Chinese Money

by herzog63 Written Oct 14, 2003

For me the Money System of china was a little confusing. You've probably already read about the FEC's in my other tips so I won't go into it as they aren't used anymore. The Renminbi seemed to have 3 tiers to it in Paper money. I'm used to dollars and cents which is 2 tiers. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but there are Yuan - Jiao - Fen which are also know as Kwai - Mao - Fen. Yuan is the biggest of the denominations and it is broken into 100 Jiao then below that is Fen and it takes 10 fen to make 1 Jiao. Quite often if I was buying food I would understand the numbers but not the Kwai,Mao or Fen. I did sort of figure it out better after a while but in the beginning I would hand the seller a 10 Yuan note (US$1.90) for a food item that would only cost 4 Mao (US$.07cents) and I would get back a STACK of money!!! hahah I would chuckle to myself and say "Gosh I've done it again". Some very small items only cost a few fen!!! It took 5 Fen to make one US Cent!! I think this system is currently in use today. Again remember this is 1987 so beware of the prices!! The photo is a shot from a page in my 1987 Journal.

Chinese Money

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Learning to count in Chinese = Very Helpful!

by herzog63 Written Oct 14, 2003

If you make the effort to count in Chinese you will reap huge benefits from this especially if you get off the tourist trail at all and even on the tourist trail!!
    I was so happy that I learned how to count in the first few days there before I ventured very far as it made buying stuff much easier!!
    1)Yi or EE
    7)Tchew
    8)Paw
    9)Dgiu
    10)she
    bigger Numbers are just building the groups....21) Er she yi Er=2 for 2 tens and Yi is one. Sorry for the rough translations as these are my own translations as taken from my journal. haha I don't think I'll get a job as a Chinese Translation Specialist anytime soon but they worked for me!! The people in the markets and shops seemed very happy that I new the number system. Sometimes they would want to write some of the numbers down but when I would speak the numbers out loud they would just say them to me.....Then they would think that I spoke Chinese and start a conversation hahahaha....My conversations ended at Hello - Ne How ......Thank you - Shay-shay .......How Much? - Do Shuo Chian? ....Mens Toilet - Nan len and of course the counting. But it made for some wonderful interactions...I wish I would have learned more. Also there are different accents on the words depending where you were at too. But I was able to use these words in the north and the south and people understood me.

Er Jiao

Caligraphy

by herzog63 Written Oct 14, 2003

It seemed like on every other small street there was a guy like this doing some sort of of Caligraphy. I'm not really sure what he was writing but for me the written Chinese language is so beautiful that he could have written "I'm stupid" on it and it would be hanging in a frame on my living room wall right now!! haha I wish I would have had something made by one of these guys. At the time I didn't want to carry it with me as I thought it would get destroyed in my backpack.

Local Caligrapher

Wong Faye or Tony Iommi.

by Guantanamera Updated Sep 17, 2003

Hey kids, here's a photo of famed heavy metal icon and Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi... When I was in Guangzhou, playing some of my Western music cd's for Xiujuan, she listened to the Black Sabbath song "Iron Man" and proclaimed it "interesting"... People in Guangzhou aren't generally very familiar with the supposedly "world famous" musicians of the Western world... Music stars like Faye Wong from neighboring Hong Kong (called Wong Faye on the mainland) and other parts of China tend to be much much more popular... But you know, kids, Ozzy once said: "Tony Iommi is the HEAVIEST motherf****r that ever lived!" And I would have to agree with that statement...

• Music

Peace.

by Guantanamera Updated Sep 16, 2003

Even a casual observer of Asia will notice the way that Asian people, especially Chinese and Japanese, like to flash the peace sign during photo opportunities, just as you see in the photo here of a couple of Cantonese friends in Guangzhou... When you're in Asia, or anywhere for that matter, don't forget to promote this recognizable international symbol of love, neutrality and holistic solidarity...!

Which and when.

by Guantanamera Updated Sep 16, 2003

If learning to use the chopsticks isn't tricky enough, try figuring out when to use them... Usually the chopsticks are used but then again, there is the rice ladle... And sometimes the Chinese will just use their fingers, as you see in this photo of Xiujuan about to merrily devour one of her favorite things, a succulent crab claw...! The Chinese also sometimes use the fingers for things such as sweet rolls or eating food at McDonald's... But ultimately, there is one great advantage to being a foreigner... You're not expected to be Chinese. So forget about rules and just do what seems natural...!

Nager en soirée.

by Guantanamera Written Sep 16, 2003

In tropical Guangzhou it is very common for people to go out to public swimming pools in the evening hours after work and cool down with a nice swim. The pools become very crowded with people practicing their strokes, socializing, and playing games... You must pay a small fee to enter and then you can store your things in your locker... But be on the lookout, the swimming traffic in a GZ pool is every bit as crazy as the traffic on GZ streets!

Chinese Coca-Cola.

by Guantanamera Updated Sep 12, 2003

The word Coca-Cola is the notorious and legendary example of unfortunate brand name translation between languages... Since in Chinese, it means "bite the wax tadpole", the Coca-Cola company changed their name to a phrase meaning "happiness in the mouth", thusly placating their Chinese customers... Chinese Coke tastes a little different than American Coke but I still say that Roman Coca-Cola is the best tasting in the entire world...!

Chinese Coke bottle

Public Sleeping.

by Guantanamera Written Sep 12, 2003

Sleeping in public is a widespread custom in Guangzhou and in fact, in many parts of China. Far from being only the habit of the homeless, public sleeping is practiced by many average Chinese people, males and females... In this particular scene, three different people have decided to catch some winks at a shopping mall in Tianhe District... I have also seen ordinary people (not homeless) sleeping at the Guangzhou Orchid Garden. In Shanghai, I saw a girl sleeping at People's Park and in Beijing I once saw a girl sleeping at her table in KFC...!

...enshroud me in thy purple cloak!

E.T.

by Guantanamera Written Sep 11, 2003

The custom of acknowleding the visitation of strange alien outsiders known as the Five Celestial Beings extends into modern-day Guangzhou once again in the appearance of the "E.T." nightclub with its alien being visage staring across Guangzhou... Did you know that the American television show "The X-Files" is also shown in Guangzhou...?

Celestial Aliens...?

by Guantanamera Written Sep 11, 2003

As I alluded in the "must see" section under the "Temple of the Five Celestial Beings" tip, the central story about the origins of Guangzhou involves the mysterious appearance of the five celestial beings mounted atop their five celestial rams... Now take a look at the photo shown here: it may appear like some strange alien creature, but this is actually a Guangzhou public payphone...! The alien theme continues...

• Chris_Dahlia's Profile Photo

KONGFU TEAWhen you are in...

by Chris_Dahlia Updated Oct 4, 2002

KONGFU TEA
    When you are in Shantou, something you must try is their 'Kongfu tea'. Here it is not 'fighting tea'. 'Kongfu' in Shantou Dialect has another meaning - doing things that really test your skills and patience. You can see, making Kongfu tea is not an easy job. They use very small tea cups and tea pot with boiled water to make tea. It is the most common way to make tea in all the families there.

• cissy4170's Profile Photo

Yangcheng---Guangzhou

by cissy4170 Written Sep 11, 2002

Guangzhou has another nickname ¡°Yangcheng¡± (Ram City)£® A legend goes that£¬ long long time ago£¬ there were five celestials riding five rams with rice spikes in their mouths£¬ the five celestials gave spikes to the residents of Guangzhou£® and wished that there would be bumper harvest and no famine any more from the on£® Then£¬ the celestials flew away and left the five rams which turned into stones£® To is memory£¬a special Five - Ram Sculpture was built in Yuexiu Park£®

Instant Answers: Guangzhou

Comments

Guangzhou Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Guangzhou local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guangzhou sightseeing.