Zoo, Guangzhou

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Gaungzhou Zoo

by herzog63 Written Oct 14, 2003

Kodiak Bear in Guangzhou

On my third day in Gaungzhou I decided I'd go to the zoo. I had my map in hand and decided that I would walk from the youth hostel on Shamian Island! It was about a 10 mile walk that took me pretty much the whole day to get there! I didn't arrive at the zoo until 4 pm. I had stopped at many other places along the way too..(Peasant Movement Institute, Memorial Garden to the Matyrs, etc..) so it was a fun filled tiring day.
    I originally wanted to go to the zoo to see a Panda Bear in China...I knew I wouldn't be able to see one in the wild so I figured a zoo in China would have a nice area for them...Well I was wrong...I did get to see the one Panda that was on display at the time but he was in a very small cage and looked kind of grungy and not well cared for...I'd wished that I hadn't seen it. One of the other oddities that I saw at the zoo was a Kodiak Bear!!! I couldn't believe it!! A bear from my Hometown living in Guangzhou!! He looked homesick as the local kids where teasing him by throwing rocks and cans at it!!! There were lot's of other displays too...Birds and other big animals...all in all I didn't really enjoy my visit to the zoo. But I enjoyed the long walk that covered one end of Guangzhou to the other....I didn't walk back to the guest house. My legs were tired so I hoped on the bus. I don't remember how much entrance fees were for the zoo but it wasn't expensive.

• There's a better zoo in Guangzhou

by aussie_expat Updated Jul 2, 2007

If you want to see a world class zoo you would be better to avoid Guangzhou zoo, and instead go to Xiangjiang Safari Park, in Panyu District, Guangzhou. Its about 35mins from central Guangzhou city and can be reached by Metro (Line 3, the Changlong Hanxi Station) or by taxi (aprox RMB60).

Xiangjiang Safari Park has every animal you can think of (pandas and koalas included) and is the leading zoo in China. It is a much better zoo day out in Guangzhou.

• stefantung's Profile Photo

Chimelong Zoo

by stefantung Written Jan 11, 2007

Entrance of Chimelong Zoo

The Chimelong zoo is located in Panyu. It takes about 30 minutes by MTR, and 45 minutes if by bus. Actually there is a amusement park called Chimelong Theme Park and a circus called Chemelong Circus. For the Chimelong Theme Park, it is quite new and many areas are still under construction. So it is not worth going. And the Chimelong Circus starts every night. So you may go there after finish visiting the zoo. For the entrance fee of Chimelong zoo, it is CNY 120 (Euro 12, US$ 15.38). The entrance fee of Chimelong Theme Park is CNY 145 (Euro 14.5, US$ 18.59). The entrance fee of the circus is about CNY 120 (Euro 12, US$ 15.38)
    There are thousands of animals in the zoo, some of them are even scarce, like White Tiger , a special kangaroo and panda. You can visit most of the animals by walking, while some area is restricted. You are only allowed to take the train provided to visit them.
    The zoo separates several areas for showing different kinds of animals, like the East Africa Area, Australia Area, Desert Area. The environment is very good. It seems like you have been to the desert or Africa.
    There are some "must visit" animals. The first is that special kind of kangaroo located in Australia Area. The colour of it is lovely. Also, the White Tiger is worth visiting. You may even hug the little tiger and take a photo.
    Apart from visiting animals, you may also watch the White Tiger show, the Elephant show, the Pattot show and a show called Journey To the West. I have watched the first two shows. They are fantastic, but rather short. Each of them lasts about 15 minutes.

• Theme Park Trips

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Guangzhou Zoo

by keeweechic Updated Jul 13, 2003

Guangzhou Zoo is set on 430,000 square metres in area, it is the largest zoo in South China. More than 2,000 animals in 200 species are on exhibition in the zoo, including the giant panda (which is usually hiding), golden-haired monkey, red-crowned crane and other precious animals unique to China.

• Eco-Tourism

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Bears

by keeweechic Updated Aug 24, 2003

Seeing a Panda was a bit of a joke - they were somewhere down a black hole at the back. Hopefully by now they have cleaned their act up and the zoo has improved

Bears - their conditions were just appalling and they just seemed so sluggish to do anything.

• Eco-Tourism

• pjallittle's Profile Photo

The one conventional Panda...

by pjallittle Written Aug 24, 2002

The one conventional Panda left in China picks his way through the bamboo forest. All the rest seem to have been shipped of to zoos around the world. It is a giant panda conspiracy.

You've noticed that all of the pandas who are being shipped to many zoos are now having children. Then they'll have children. By then, China will dominate the bamboo market, they are nearly there. Bamboo prices will skyrocket to the point where zoos will no longer be able to support their Pandas.

This will lead to a FREE PANDAS movement, we will see ads of this kind on VT. Just wait and see, I'm tellin ya, It's a Giant Panda conspiracy, mmmmhmmm..

• tim07's Profile Photo

Zoo

by tim07 Updated Feb 28, 2010
    Panda enclosure

The zoo was founded in 1958 and covers 42 hectares. It receives about 2.5 million visitors annually. I'm not a fan of zoos, but while in China I couldn't pass up the chance of seeing a panda.

Although the zoo could be vastly improved now, I found it on my visit to be a depressing experience. Many of the animals looked to be housed in poor conditions. I did get to see a panda, but on reflection it's a place I regret visiting.

• pjallittle's Profile Photo

'So where's the Panda?', a...

by pjallittle Written Aug 24, 2002

'So where's the Panda?', a few have asked. Here is the RED PANDA
    for those who doubt the existence of these rare little animals.

Instant Answers: Guangzhou

Comments

Hotels Near Zoo
3.5 out of 5 stars